Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    I really wish I liked Radiant Historia's battle system more, but it bored me to tears. What I saw of the plot seemed good but I just couldn't push through the fights.

Did you not like how fast the battles were or something?

I thought they were too slow. Also I don't really like that kind of micro level tactics with the positioning stuff.

Also none of my moves felt cool. I need a little pizzaz in my jurps.

yeah i can't imagine describing radiant historia's battle system as "fast".

It was baffling how long some of the enemy attack animations were. How you had to wait through each one individually, and how you couldn't skip any of it.

Frem on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the Prone are asscaves

I'm kind of shocked that I forgot like

every single plot point and situation in XCX in the time since I played it last

which I guess doesn't reflect super great on the game

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't remember much about the battle system aside from pushing guys into traps. radiant historia is a game I've always figured I would replay some time but have not. lately though I have been thinking about getting rid of a bunch of older games, and this just tanked the value of my RH copy if it had any

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Playing World of Final Fantasy, and I just unlocked Omega.

And Omega seems to be kinda unusable?

In order to progress anywhere on Omega's Mirage board, I am required to unlock Meltdown. Which is a passive skill that causes Omega to self-destruct and hurt all my allies if it takes damage when it's at 10%HP or lower. Meaning that not only is its health only about 90% of its displayed amount, but having it out is a liability to the rest of the party. Is there any point to using Omega, in that case?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    the Prone are asscaves

XCX's story and a lot of the dialogue is kinda garbage until the last two chapters.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I have very fond memories of a lot of the incidental dialogue, and also the chapter where you defend your city from attack by evil robots

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of a lot of the incidental dialogue, and also the chapter where you defend your city from attack by evil robots

That chapter was good, yeah

I was almost never impressed by the dialogue, but I also tend to have a much lower opinion of Xenoblade dialogue in general than you do

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm thinking in particular of a sidequest where you are trying to help a coffee shop owner, an employee of whom has destroyed an expensive cappuccino machine by accident and run away

And when you find her she thanks you for fixing things but still panics because she wrecked shit and ran away.

"I'm probably still fired, aren't I?"

And one of the responses you can choose is "You're probably super fired"

Shit was on point... but the strengths of XCX's dialog was almost exclusively down to the flair given to it in translation, I think

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the barista quest is the one thing I remembered from my last playthrough

she does the lord's prayer but it's all coffee puns!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I haven't played XCX since May. Got to the second half of the boss fight with the lion people. My need to grind money and EXP was handily demonstrated by the boss destroying one of my allies' Skells 10 seconds into the combat. I want to get back to it, but the need to grind (and the relative difficulty of raising every party member, compared to XC) stopped my momentum dead, and I just haven't gone back.

Enlong on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    the Prone are asscaves

XCX's story and a lot of the dialogue is kinda garbage until the last two chapters.

It doesn't help that all of the story was smushed into a 10 hour campaign sprinkled through an 80+ hour game.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I don't remember a single plot beat or character from xcx minus the finale

I try to forget how disappointed that game left me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

In order to progress anywhere on Omega's Mirage board, I am required to unlock Meltdown. Which is a passive skill that causes Omega to self-destruct and hurt all my allies if it takes damage when it's at 10%HP or lower. Meaning that not only is its health only about 90% of its displayed amount, but having it out is a liability to the rest of the party. Is there any point to using Omega, in that case?

I'm pretty sure he's garbage

Honestly we powered through the game on the back of shiva/ramuh/ifrit and all of their variants and couldn't find much of a reason to use anything else other than for variety's sake + behemonster as our XL of choice for cheesing some tough stuff with guarding forever and then spamming consecutive revenge blasts

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ramuh/Shiva/Ifrit are hugely powerful not just for raw strength but because they float they laugh at earthquake attacks like some bosses love to spam.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he's garbage

Honestly we powered through the game on the back of shiva/ramuh/ifrit and all of their variants and couldn't find much of a reason to use anything else other than for variety's sake + behemonster as our XL of choice for cheesing some tough stuff with guarding forever and then spamming consecutive revenge blasts

I abused Gravity at the end a LOT. It's how I took down the secret boss in those extra 4 dungeons too. Guard spam>Gravity>Mega Phoenix (I have so many)>repeat.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I think there's a lot of good dialogue in XCX, it's just that the worst of it is right in the forefront with Elma and Lin. A lot of the interactions with the random townspeople are pretty good, I thought.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There are just so many little things that made XCX kind of a chore to play

The big thing that prevented me from really sticking with it to the end, though, was that combat just never clicked with me

It never feels like it's really giving you any feedback about whether you're doing the right thing or not, you have only the vaguest control over your party members by deactivating most of their skills and then trying to herd them with those skill triggers, and it's all incredibly visually messy.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I fucking love XCX so much

I don't really have anything else to say about it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    It has some good tunes. The flight song? so good.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I like it, and have enjoyed the story thus far, aside from the stupid, stupid "everyone threatens to eat Tatsu" joke. I want to finish the story and see where it and the various sidequests go.

And I like the combat, but my characters feel so very weak, probably due to me not leveling up enough, or something.

Madican wrote: »
    Yeah, Ramuh/Shiva/Ifrit are hugely powerful not just for raw strength but because they float they laugh at earthquake attacks like some bosses love to spam.

Hm...

I think I may have missed something. I'm pretty sure I'm like 80% though the story (I need to go to the Chainroad next), and I am nowhere near having Shiva, Ifrit, or Ramuh. I have a Mishiva, from that first Bablizz I got early on, but I haven't seen any of the other "mini" versions of those three, and I haven't gotten a Shiva Memento, or anything of the like.

I've mostly been using a Red Dragon/Searcher (or Searcher/Mishiva) combo on one character, and a Lucky Toad/Behemoth (or Lucky Toad/Unicorn) on the other. My Mega-Mirage of choice has been Iron Giant.

Enlong on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Check out the coliseum and do a bunch of those fights.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So I picked up the PS4 version of Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5, flew through KH1 in two sittings, and now I'm on to Chain of Memories for the first time.

After spending most of the afternoon with it, my review so far: Holy shit, I hate Chain of Memories.

How in the hell did this garbage heap of a combat system get out of early design stages intact? I'm not going to ask if it gets better later, because I don't care. It's so miserable right now that no promise of future good could get me to endure another minute of it. But I remember KH2's story being about 50% inexplicable gaps that said "See Chain of Memories". So does anyone know of a youtube video or something that summarizes the important story beats and cutscenes?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Chain of Memories might be the most divisive game in the series.

I really liked the combat system. A lot.

Just search YouTube for "Chain of Memories the movie"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So I picked up the PS4 version of Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5, flew through KH1 in two sittings, and now I'm on to Chain of Memories for the first time.

After spending most of the afternoon with it, my review so far: Holy shit, I hate Chain of Memories.

How in the hell did this garbage heap of a combat system get out of early design stages intact? I'm not going to ask if it gets better later, because I don't care. It's so miserable right now that no promise of future good could get me to endure another minute of it. But I remember KH2's story being about 50% inexplicable gaps that said "See Chain of Memories". So does anyone know of a youtube video or something that summarizes the important story beats and cutscenes?

Can you describe what you don't like about it? It's possible that while you'd still end up hating it, that you're misunderstanding or intentionally ignoring some important aspects of it.

• Options
    I beat Chain of Memories by loading up as many Clouds as I could stuff into my deck among other things. And I'd just keep cycling until I pulled those Clouds.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I also couldn't stand CoM's combat. Just let me hit things, not play a bad card game.

They basically put its combat in as the big minigame in DDD. Noped out of that place super hard.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Check out the coliseum and do a bunch of those fights.

Yeah. Found them. Wouldn't have expected them there. But now I have Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramewl (Haste and Regen on the same character? Yes, please!)

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Iirc most things in Chain of Memories could be solved by "stack your deck with fucktons of regular attack cards with a heal or two for good measure"

I remember having trouble with the last few bosses with Sora until I did just that and they suddenly became stupid easy

EDIT: Then again that was the GBA version, not sure if that changes with the remade version

naengwen on
  • Options
    For most fights, I used sleight combos like Lethal Frame and Sonic Blade, with a Potion or two to refresh my cards.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    How did someone just fly through KH1 in two sittings

Also, I bought that collection and man

Something just feels weird about playing those games at 60 frames

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    KH1 isn't very long if you know what you're doing. Last time I played it I beat it in a day.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    You mean most people don't spend 20+ hours constructing the perfect gummi ship?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maximum wrote: »

I hope KH3 finally gets it right and realizes the on-foot gameplay is merely getting in the way of the rail shooter sections

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The gummi ship is the worst shit

It's like they saw Tetra Master as an open challenge for worst minigame

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man...I S-ranked all the Gummi challenges in KH2.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I will admit that the GS was rough in KH1, but that shit was fun as hell by the time KH2 came around.

• Options
    I will admit that the GS was rough in KH1, but that shit was fun as hell by the time KH2 came around.

It's...different, at least?

Like at least you didn't have to worry about hitting shit because of a bad camera perspective

It was still a shitty rail shooter plopped into mandatory sequences in the middle of a JRPG

• Options

Every single piece is a gun or cannon.

Every. Single. One.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

Like at least you didn't have to worry about hitting shit because of a bad camera perspective

It was still a shitty rail shooter plopped into mandatory sequences in the middle of a JRPG
    If you could excise the gummi ship stages and drop in a shmup of your choosing, would that solve the problem?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »

If you could excise the gummi ship stages and drop in a shmup of your choosing, would that solve the problem?

Ikaruga, and to continue with the story you have to complete the whole thing on pacifist mode.

This discussion has been closed.