Options

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    It seems kind of inconsequential to me. If there are hundreds of reviews, then I don't really expect there to be enough of a difference between paid and free reviews to skew the score significantly unless there really are shenanigans going on. And if there are only a handful of reviews, then I mostly ignore the neg/pos score and read the reviews (if any) to see what's up.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    It seems kind of inconsequential to me. If there are hundreds of reviews, then I don't really expect there to be enough of a difference between paid and free reviews to skew the score significantly unless there really are shenanigans going on. And if there are only a handful of reviews, then I mostly ignore the neg/pos score and read the reviews (if any) to see what's up.

The tactic of flooding people with free keys for shit games in exchange for good reviews is a long-standing problem with Steam reviews.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

The tactic of flooding people with free keys for shit games in exchange for good reviews is a long-standing problem with Steam reviews.

Well, yes, those would be shenanigans. I meant more about people getting upset because their legitimate reviews won't count or something.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Also wouldn't this result in fewer games in Humble Bundles? Because yes, charity, but they aren't even getting good reviews/press out of it the way they used to?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness, I saw something in an Aseprite trailer, I tried it out, and now I'm busting an animation out and testing faster than I thought I good.

This software is incredible!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My global conquest ambitions are taking fruit.

Also, yep, I'm up to 94.6% sure the kid is moving out here with me. /excite

I'm not sure how to feel about this thing with free reviews not counting. On the one hand, shenanigans. And I despise "got it for free" reviews on everything ELSE in the world (I'm looking at you, Amazon). But somehow with Steam it maybe seems different. Or maybe it's because half or more of the reviews this community writes wouldn't count. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Can't they just give out free steam keys to get around that? It's not like they are gonna block reviews from ever person who purchases from a humble bundle or other key retailer.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Steam reviews from keys stopped counting towards the overall score long ago, it was what started all this. I don't think there's a way for them to differentiate between legit store/retail/bundle keys and keys generated for being giving away.
    It's also safe to say that the majority of Steam users probably don't really care if their review is being counted towards that final score or not.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Outside of early access games anything on Humble Bundle has probably been around long enough for people to know it's reputation anyway.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Dark Angels: Masquerade of Shadows:

Loading...?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I got the 'Cozy Hell' ending(in VA-11-HallA). I want to see the rest, but that's a lot of drinks to mix. Again.

This was adorable, though:
    153912F6C100FD6759E056BC7EA2DE0E763AF076

I'm hoping it changes with each ending.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Loading...?

I grabbed this one. Thanks @Werewolf2000ad <3

(edit: or not. It seems to have been used already. No worries, though! :) )

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hey, grognards! Get your war on!

Big Slitherine weekend sale!

And if you get Panzer Corps, you can kick my ass PBEM-style!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Latest Steam client update has something in it that I appreciate:
    • Removed sign-on notifications for friends who are already online/in-game when you first sign-in

• Options
    Should my Amazon rts come to be, one side will be dressed in tera level bikini armour, the other will be dressed in sane, sensible armour.

• Options
    Should my Amazon rts come to be, one side will be dressed in tera level bikini armour, the other will be dressed in sane, sensible armour.

Well, I know which side I'll be playing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I killed nine different bosses and then Half Minute Hero 2 unveils another seven. It's just ridiculous.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Back when House of a Dying Sun was first teased, Tipul said that his main goal for the game was to recreate the dynamic feel of light gang skirmish combat in Eve-Online. That's what got me super excited for the game. He talked about that feeling of being in hostile territory, running as fast as you can, smashing what you can, using misdirection, cunning and sheer terror to achieve your objectives. This is a thing I used to do in Eve-Online a whole lot. It was basically the whole reason I played the game.

So did he actually pull that off? All I ever hear when the game comes up is that it's short and that he dropped the procedural campaign generation. That's fine with me as long as he pulled off that whole dynamic asymmetrical combat experience.

I kind've wrote off House of the Dying Sun when I read that procedural campaign generation was going away.
    A static campaign is inherently going to be lacking the feel of a dynamic tactical environment.
    It is probably not an achievable goal short of developing true AI.
    Per John Boyd's work, you need both a rapidly changing situation and a rapidly adapting adversary to keep a game interesting in the long term - though that is just my interpretation.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Loading...?

I grabbed this one. Thanks @Werewolf2000ad <3

(edit: or not. It seems to have been used already. No worries, though! :) )

Well that's not right, because I know I didn't use it. Let me check on that.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    BigDaddyDowd BigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    VVVVVVV
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but if you've got Amazon/Twitch Prime, one of the offers until the 13'th is a free copy of Hard Reset: Redux.

If you want some good shooty-bang-bang, I really dug it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    Thanks @Elvenshae !!!! I have been wanting tome for a long time. There goes my productivity for a while. You Sir are classy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Zavian for running FNG this week of Vermintide and for @Jeix and @UseR2006 for joining us. Many rats were smashed and lorebook entries discovered.

• Options
    When you know what kind of character you want to play but can't seem to find a game where you can play that kind of character. /sigh

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This is the slowest I've seen the Steam thread move in a long time. I expected to see more posts since yesterday afternoon when my PC was temporarily knocked out of commission. I plugged in a My Book Duo given to me as a gift, which crashed my PC, and then it would crash every time it tried to boot into Windows. It couldn't automatically fix whatever the problem was, and even a system restore couldn't fix it! I ended up doing a Windows reset while keeping all my old files and it seems to be working OK for now.

The important thing is that I didn't lose any of my Steam library, of course!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think people are busy playing console stuff.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    This is the slowest I've seen the Steam thread move in a long time.

Too many good games coming out. Too few sales.

• Options
    Vvvvvv is a curious romp

Terminal velocity stutters when rogue fighter does not. Still fun, however.

My empire will rise soon on mount and blade:warband:floris

Lo Wang is in a restaurant, racist as fuck.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Speaking of, GOG is having a spring sale that ends in about 32 hours at the time of this post.

Tangentially, I'm debating for the next 30 hours if I should pick up the Witcher 3 Expansion Pass for 15 bucks over there, or wait for it to go cheaper . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Speaking of, GOG is having a spring sale that ends in about 32 hours at the time of this post.

Tangentially, I'm debating for the next 30 hours if I should pick up the Witcher 3 Expansion Pass for 15 bucks over there, or wait for it to go cheaper . . .

I assume you have Witcher 3 via GOG, right? Are there any places other than GOG where you can buy the season pass for a gog copy? If not, then it's probably not worth waiting if you want to play it anytime soon. Otherwise, it will be at least as cheap or cheaper eventually.

Edit: but it could be a while until it's cheaper

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I assume you have Witcher 3 via GOG, right? Are there any places other than GOG where you can buy the season pass for a gog copy? If not, then it's probably not worth waiting if you want to play it anytime soon. Otherwise, it will be at least as cheap or cheaper eventually.

Edit: but it could be a while until it's cheaper

Yes, Ninja gifted me a copy in GOG 'way back when'. And as far as I can tell, it's pretty much the one place to get a GOG licensed copy, so the only thing stopping me is that I have so many other hundred+ multi-hour games to play.
    Though to be honest, part of me just really wants to wait until the GOTY version on Steam hits 20 bucks on a sale so I can have it there, thus the waffling.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I have a Gaben obsession, and I will wait for Steam discount on Witcher 3, even though it would be much cheaper on GOG, and buying it there would help it's creators more.

I should propably feel bad about this.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I just picked up Dex. It looked pretty cool, so we'll see.

Also got advent rising for like 50 cents!

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Dual wielding rocket launchers with Jedi powers and bullet time.

Orson Scott card fashioned a decent plot as well, almost as good as mass effect 1's.

So naturally the game sold like shit

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Dual wielding rocket launchers with Jedi powers and bullet time.

Orson Scott card fashioned a decent plot as well, almost as good as mass effect 1's.

So naturally the game sold like shit

Asking famous writers to write a plot to a video game is like asking for a failure.

Orson Scott Card and Advent Rising? Failure.

R.A. Salvatore and Kingdoms of Amalur? Failure.

Rhianna Pratchett and Mirror's Edge? Failure.

They were all good games, but didn't sell well. Shame...

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Rhianna Pratchett also wrote the last two Tomb Raider games, so...

• Options
    czSCCo0.png?1

@Werewolf2000ad wasn't going to let a little Steam weirdness get in the way. Thanks for Dark Angels! <3<3<3

(you totally didn't have to do that though)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Rhianna Pratchett also wrote the last two Tomb Raider games, so...

And as far as I remember, Square Enix considered amount of sold copies of the first game a failure, right?

Of course, it shown only that they had completely unrealistic goals.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When you know what kind of character you want to play but can't seem to find a game where you can play that kind of character. /sigh

And what sort of character would that be?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

And what sort of character would that be?

Pink, presumably.

9KmX8eN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.