Options

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Games besides house of a dying son that let me feel like char, please list!
    Luftrausers?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tzP4L90CCWw

Astebreed and Galak-Z maybe? Everspace looking like it might scratch some of that itch too, but is in EA.

Zone of the Enders series for older console stuff.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Karoz wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Anyone have any Steamlink experience? Since I've been playing Breath of the Wild I've realized that I do miss playing from the couch (especially now that we have a puppy that hangs out on the couch with me), but there's a very noticeable difference between something like Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Xbox one and on my PC. I've got a pretty crazy router, which should in theory provide as good of a connection as ethernet would (speed-wise, at least). Is it possible to play something like, say, Deus Ex via Steamlink and not have any noticeable visual degradation or lag, assuming the connection is fast enough? Follow-up: Does the wireless Xbox One controller work with Steamlink? Final question: If I have a spare laptop, is there any advantage other than form factor for buying a Steamlink instead of just doing streaming to the computer?

I haven't tried it again lately but there apparently have been performance upgrades though a direct link from Steam to your computer will naturally be best. As long as you aren't playing hyper-twitchy games that require quick and precise movements you should be fine. Playing Mad Max on the tv was a blast and very few performance issues. I would believe Deus Ex would play just fine.

Not sure about the wireless Xbox One controller, it's listed here it works fine wired but needs another program (VirtualHere) to work with wireless.. I used a wired 360 and apparently my PS4 controller should work fine so that's nice to know.

As for the laptop, I guess it's a question of how beefy your laptop is, but then again the Steam Link has been getting pretty cheap.

Still I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so hopefully someone can give you better answers for the more technical side of things.

re: Xbox One controllers -- the newer Xbox One S controllers are bluetooth capable and the Link will natively support them in wireless mode (sans rumble though, from everytime I used it).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say, anyone who can sympathize with a 20 year old college drop out with mental health issues returning to her dying home town should play Night in the Woods. Some of the best writing I've seen in ages and it really manages to nail flawed human/animal beings who are still fundamentaly good people.

Probably a good choice if you liked Life is Strange. Just with significantly better dialogue.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't have a GPU anymore, so I'm stuck gaming on the lovely Intel HD Graphics 530 that is bolted onto my 6600k. I'm currently going through my library testing to see what plays well on it.

In the interest of turning lemons into lemonade I want to use this as a motivating force to go back and play through some older games that I either didn't have time for in the past or have played a while ago but since neglected.

Anyone up for some Burnout Paradise multiplayer sometime? I promise I won't sing Girlfriend into the mic every time it comes on.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I promise I won't sing Girlfriend into the mic every time it comes on.

Then why even bother??

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Anyone have any Steamlink experience? Since I've been playing Breath of the Wild I've realized that I do miss playing from the couch (especially now that we have a puppy that hangs out on the couch with me), but there's a very noticeable difference between something like Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Xbox one and on my PC. I've got a pretty crazy router, which should in theory provide as good of a connection as ethernet would (speed-wise, at least). Is it possible to play something like, say, Deus Ex via Steamlink and not have any noticeable visual degradation or lag, assuming the connection is fast enough? Follow-up: Does the wireless Xbox One controller work with Steamlink? Final question: If I have a spare laptop, is there any advantage other than form factor for buying a Steamlink instead of just doing streaming to the computer?

I've got a Steam Link.

Wireless, it's not great. The visual quality is good but games will hang sometimes, no matter how demanding they are. This could be due to my router but I've heard the same thing from enough people that I think it's just a general issue.

Wired? It's like having my PC in my living room and it's fucking awesome. Even fast-paced action games like Metal Gear Rising and DMC4 are totally playable on it.

Don't think there's any huge advantage to having it over a different computer, though. It's easier to setup so that you can turn it on with a controller button press?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I don't have a GPU anymore, so I'm stuck gaming on the lovely Intel HD Graphics 530 that is bolted onto my 6600k. I'm currently going through my library testing to see what plays well on it.

In the interest of turning lemons into lemonade I want to use this as a motivating force to go back and play through some older games that I either didn't have time for in the past or have played a while ago but since neglected.

Anyone up for some Burnout Paradise multiplayer sometime? I promise I won't sing Girlfriend into the mic every time it comes on.

I should probably change my graphical hardware setting to the onboard GPU.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zelda and RE7 were my last day 1 purchases since Dark Souls 3. RE7 and Dark Souls 3 I got discounted because of PC status. Steam's availability really does spoil us on PC games. Almost every new game that comes out has some small discount on it.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I've got a Steam Link.

Wireless, it's not great. The visual quality is good but games will hang sometimes, no matter how demanding they are. This could be due to my router but I've heard the same thing from enough people that I think it's just a general issue.

Wired? It's like having my PC in my living room and it's fucking awesome. Even fast-paced action games like Metal Gear Rising and DMC4 are totally playable on it.

Don't think there's any huge advantage to having it over a different computer, though. It's easier to setup so that you can turn it on with a controller button press?

Wired Steam Link is pretty damn good. You'd be surprised about where you can actually run an ethernet cable and hide it nicely...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Strike Suit Zero

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Ghost Recon Wildlands is quite a bit of fun, it turns out. I get nearly-Saints-Rows level driving shenanigans coupled with some really fun sneaky shooting of mans and a fair bit of pretty princess dress up.

My younger stepkid that has lived on the opposite side of the country for years may be moving in with me soon. I might be a bit stoked.

I am getting increasingly tempted by Nier Automata and closer to the point of irresponsible decision-making.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Does Kerbal Space Program have colonies to drop on people yet?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ghost Recon Wildlands is quite a bit of fun, it turns out. I get nearly-Saints-Rows level driving shenanigans coupled with some really fun sneaky shooting of mans and a fair bit of pretty princess dress up.

Im fucking loving Wildlands. Rocking it so hard.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Zelda and RE7 were my last day 1 purchases since Dark Souls 3. RE7 and Dark Souls 3 I got discounted because of PC status. Steam's availability really does spoil us on PC games. Almost every new game that comes out has some small discount on it.

And I'm sure for those you didn't pay full MSRP for those, either. So many retailers offer discounts and whatnot

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

No, but it does have Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4ViwOfpOI

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

No, but it does have Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4ViwOfpOI

Fuck Harmony Gold

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

And I'm sure for those you didn't pay full MSRP for those, either. So many retailers offer discounts and whatnot

Amazon Prime 20% discount on pre-orders and recently-released games coupled with free delivery. Heck yeah.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Amazon Prime 20% discount on pre-orders and recently-released games coupled with free delivery. Heck yeah.

Yeah, that's how I got ME:Andromeda and the collector's edition of Morrowind. So I guess I'm not really pay full price for them after all.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Hm, No Man's Sky is on sale with a new patch out. They're got permadeath and survival modes and base building now? This is starting to tick the right boxes, but I'm still leery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    f3rret wrote: »
    Hm, No Man's Sky is on sale with a new patch out. They're got permadeath and survival modes and base building now? This is starting to tick the right boxes, but I'm still leery.

Also, a selection of ground vehicles, the ability to store more than one ship in a freighter, and extra base add-on items, as well as customized guns and ships for specific tasks. Also a lot more instances of having to fight off pirates to rescue freighters, to my mind (or shooting up the freighters and taking their components while the pirates are raiding them, then getting the hell out of dodge).

It's not quite the epic all everything that people seemed to be hoping for, but with every new thing they add, I love it more and more.

I personally think 35 bucks is a totally reasonable price for what they have now as a game, just based off the previous patch, not even the current one (I'm staying away from this patch only because I'm in the middle of playing through backlog and NMS has a habit of consuming my life). There could still be some improvements to scanning, but otherwise I love the game with a passion.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    No Man's Sky actually sounds like the perfect "podcast game". I'll wait a little longer for it to get a bigger discount, but it doesn't look as bad as people say

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    But can I buy a rifle and go out hunting xenos for sport?

The lack of big game hunting functionality is a travesty.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I don't spend a lot of time in a windows environment anymore but when I am I usually fire up NMS for a bit. I haven't spent hours and hours playing it but I have a whole lot of fun playing it when I do. NMS is alright.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't have a GPU anymore, so I'm stuck gaming on the lovely Intel HD Graphics 530 that is bolted onto my 6600k.

Ouch, you have my sympathies.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »

Also, a selection of ground vehicles, the ability to store more than one ship in a freighter, and extra base add-on items, as well as customized guns and ships for specific tasks. Also a lot more instances of having to fight off pirates to rescue freighters, to my mind (or shooting up the freighters and taking their components while the pirates are raiding them, then getting the hell out of dodge).

It's not quite the epic all everything that people seemed to be hoping for, but with every new thing they add, I love it more and more.

I personally think 35 bucks is a totally reasonable price for what they have now as a game, just based off the previous patch, not even the current one (I'm staying away from this patch only because I'm in the middle of playing through backlog and NMS has a habit of consuming my life). There could still be some improvements to scanning, but otherwise I love the game with a passion.

Dammit, you're going to make me play terminus again!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    for $35 I'd say thats a good deal for NMS. It has a lot of baggage attached to it, but I think that was more because of how cryptic they were about the game. For what they have in the game that is a good price to buy it at.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    No Man's Sky actually sounds like the perfect "podcast game". I'll wait a little longer for it to get a bigger discount, but it doesn't look as bad as people say

It's gotten better. It's a bit grindy but not too bad and those new land vehicles look awesome. My main beef is that exploration for the sake of exploration is still a bit dull in my opinion. The planets are too much alike and there's not that much to find. They hint at deeper things going on with the sentinels but that story thread never goes anywhere and the center of the galaxy still has no payoff really for finding it. Still, it has the bones of a great game and they keep on patching new things in all the time.

• Options
    The funny thing about NMS is that Mike Tipul (House of a Dying Sun) abandoned the procedurally generated campaign for a more linear one because he found it to be a few moments of excitement punctured by long moments of boredom. I mean long moments of boredom punctured by moments of excitement.

The extra campaigns of Shadow Warrior Classic taunt you with their secret counts. But some of them are surprisingly well made. I went from bemoaning the 10 secrets in one level to being awestruck in the design of the secret level immediately afterwards.

That's what I enjoy about Build engine games, the levels are a beautiful canvas on which you can paint your portrait of destruction using the bodies of your enemies.

• Options
    Back when House of a Dying Sun was first teased, Tipul said that his main goal for the game was to recreate the dynamic feel of light gang skirmish combat in Eve-Online. That's what got me super excited for the game. He talked about that feeling of being in hostile territory, running as fast as you can, smashing what you can, using misdirection, cunning and sheer terror to achieve your objectives. This is a thing I used to do in Eve-Online a whole lot. It was basically the whole reason I played the game.

So did he actually pull that off? All I ever hear when the game comes up is that it's short and that he dropped the procedural campaign generation. That's fine with me as long as he pulled off that whole dynamic asymmetrical combat experience.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Back when House of a Dying Sun was first teased, Tipul said that his main goal for the game was to recreate the dynamic feel of light gang skirmish combat in Eve-Online. That's what got me super excited for the game. He talked about that feeling of being in hostile territory, running as fast as you can, smashing what you can, using misdirection, cunning and sheer terror to achieve your objectives. This is a thing I used to do in Eve-Online a whole lot. It was basically the whole reason I played the game.

So did he actually pull that off? All I ever hear when the game comes up is that it's short and that he dropped the procedural campaign generation. That's fine with me as long as he pulled off that whole dynamic asymmetrical combat experience.

Idk, kind of? It's all about hopping in, smashing your target, and then getting out before reinforcements arrive. I don't think there's much misdirection involved though, and it's not very dynamic. It's still really fucking good, though, and the gameplay is tight.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah he used to post a lot about stuff like hitting civilian traffic to draw defenses away from an objective or using electronic warfare to momentarily cripple heavy enemies and such. I know it's probably a good game but it makes me sad that he missed that mark.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/563352991934009789
    Steam User Review Changes

We're in the process of making a couple more small changes to Steam Customer Review system as we continue to fine-tune the relevance and accuracy of the overall review score for each product.

In September, we made some adjustments to how the review score was calculated for each product. You can read about those changes and the reasoning behind it here. We're continuing with a few more changes in this direction to improve the relevance of the score by better reflecting the sentiment expressed by invested, paying customers.

With the changes we are making now, the review score (shown at the top of store pages and in various places throughout the store such as search results) will no longer include reviews by users that received the game for free, such as via a gift, or during a free weekend. Reviews can still be written by customers that obtained the game in any of these ways, but the review will not count toward the overall review score.

We started rolling out this change earlier this week, and it will take a few more days for our system to completely update all reviews and re-calculate the scores. In the meantime, you may see the review score on a game change a couple of times depending on how many reviews come from the sources mentioned above.

This change only effects games that are listed for sale on Steam. For free or free-to-play games, reviews by all users will continue to count toward their review score.

As always, please let us know what you think.

I guess that is one change that affects us a lot more than the average Steam user.

• Options
    Yeah, that's not a small change as far as this community goes.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The change will be significant if it means that people who receive keys for backing a game via a Kickstarter don't get their review counted in the overall score.

Which one can argue that KS backers might have a tendency to grant positive reviews due to having already bought into the game long before it was released, but it's a not insignificant amount of people who will have the game in the first few days of release as well.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Not sure I like this much more than when they decoupled any reviews for copies that weren't purchased directly through Steam (such as Humble codes, Kickstarter rewards, etc.).

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is this for instances when keys have been given out by devs/publishers? Haven't been around long enough to understand the purpose I think

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Yeah, there are marketers even that run steam groups devoted solely to passing out keys to influential Steam profiles. They used to be pretty pushy about trying to get a good review but lately they've changed their tune to "Free keys! Do what you like with them!"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Not sure I like this much more than when they decoupled any reviews for copies that weren't purchased directly through Steam (such as Humble codes, Kickstarter rewards, etc.).

Is this a thing? I am incredulous that Steam disallows anyone who buys a copy of a game at a physical retailer to review the game in a manner that is weighted.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »

Is this a thing? I am incredulous that Steam disallows anyone who buys a copy of a game at a physical retailer to review the game in a manner that is weighted.

It was a thing for, like, a week. They took it back after the community got mad.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
This discussion has been closed.