Options

Cook Serve Delicious 2 can go to hell, the [Indie Game] Heat Signature is out

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I feel like if people don't like the art style just posting pictures of that art style doesn't really do anything

But I get to look at the pretty pictures

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I feel like if people don't like the art style just posting pictures of that art style doesn't really do anything

Gusav commented that the context of the game matters, and I totally agree. It's Gothic Americana, and everything is beautiful but also feels really old.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I really need to play that game.

But it's interesting how different those styles are as the emphasis is totally different on each. One focuses on the emptiness of the area by spotlighting the character in very dim environments. The other focuses on the isolation by using detail and scale to build up the environment while making the characters tiny to emphasize the emptiness.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I really need to play that game.

But it's interesting how different those styles are as the emphasis is totally different on each. One focuses on the emptiness of the area by spotlighting the character in very dim environments. The other focuses on the isolation by using detail and scale to build up the environment while making the characters tiny to emphasize the emptiness.

What a still image doesn't show you is in that scene, while the two characters off to the side are having a conversation, stuff is happening inside all that emptiness

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Oh sure. It's just fun to see completely different ways of evoking similar feelings.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man, that trailer is some Ray Harryhausen shit, that looked rad

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I live in Kentucky now, and I can tell you that KRZ doesn't look realistic in the slightest

disappointment of the year

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I live in Kentucky now, and I can tell you that KRZ doesn't look realistic in the slightest

Canceling my plane ticket to visit now, honestly

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I honestly don't blame you

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I know you're just making a funny but I've actually read a number of people saying that a lot of the writing feels super authentic to the Kentuckian experience.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I don't really like that trailer art style at all

Mostly the animation is way too stiff especially when it gets to what I suppose is the "gameplay" portion

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Wait, you mean Kentucky doesn't have a non-Euclidean, metaphorical interstate?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

i mean i lived in kentucky for a good 15 years i could've warned you about that

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Why didn't Kentucky live up to it's Kickstater?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I mean, the new one is a Sledgehammer joint

The team being lead by former Dead Space people, I can totally see them making those kinds of claims

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Touching romance in the fields of Nazi-occupied France confirmed

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Touching romance Sick trapper keepers in the fields of Nazi-occupied France confirmed

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Oh man turn-based JRPG with action commands? Hell yes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

i'm excited but I'm not sure I'm ready for random encounter battles to come back into my life again

Brolo on
  • Options

I sorta wish you were still here because then I would have a good friend living nearby

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I sorta wish you were still here because then I would have a good friend living nearby

Yeah that'd be nice! Sorry

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Finished plague knight

that last boss was the worst until I found the right combination of bomb parts

very fun overall and I think I liked the story even more than shovel knight

had a lot more troupple king ass than I was expecting too

edit I'm gonna have to force myself to take a break before going in on spectre knight because the controls are just too fuckin different and I'm gonna get salty about dying so much

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

i'm excited but I'm not sure I'm ready for random encounter battles to come back into my life again

It looks like the monsters show up as floating black spheres in the field, so not quite random encounters

Something's wrong with me because the most exciting thing about that trailer is the drawn backgrounds with polygonal characters but with polygonal battle arenas. I will eat that incredibly specific shit up.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Little Nightmares yet?

It looks very much my jam, but something's making me hesitate on grabbing it just yet and I can't quite pinpoint what.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Finished plague knight

edit I'm gonna have to force myself to take a break before going in on spectre knight because the controls are just too fuckin different and I'm gonna get salty about dying so much

Plague Knight/Mona OTP

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hey guys, I want to talk to you all about Candleman. An Xbox One exclusive indie 3D platformer that really captured my heart, especially at at time when I'm drowning in these things (I've also played through Voodoo Vince and Yooka-Laylee, and am working through Snake Pass and Yooka-Laylee.. and ye gods Little Nightmares just came out too!). There's two things I want to talk about.

The first is that it's a really nice game. It's small, but there's absolutely no cruft here. It's a simple platformer with simple controls and most of the advanced concepts come from mechanics involving light and things being photosensitive. There's not a lot there, but that's okay because what IS there is great and it's actually got a ton of polish on it. It doesn't have the slightest sense of cut corner or a "we're not a AAA game so we can have some rough edges". The levels are beautiful and the eponymous Candleman is cute, even if he is literally a just candle with two hilarious stubby legs. You platform your way through the levels, with only ten seconds of "burn" available to you. Once you run out, you die. Your light does things ranging from illuminating the level, lighting other candles, activating/deactivating objects in the world (like photosensitive plants). I genuinely enjoyed the crap out of the 3.5 hours I wound up putting into it, though it might be considered to be a bit on the easy side.

The second thing is a spoiler for the end of the game, so I'd recommend not reading it and just getting the game.
    So early on Candleman sees a lighthouse and adorably decides THAT's what he wants to be. A big old lighthouse that drives away the darkness. At the end of the game, you meet the lighthouse, only for it to turn on you and try and kill you. You can last long enough that it loses interest and lets you live. Serious spoilers for what come next
    Candleman realizes how utterly impossible his dream was, and without that he fails to see what his purpose is, or why he should continue existing AND HE COLLAPSES OFF A LEDGE AND OSTENSIBLY FALLS TO HIS DEATH!! That's it! There's no post-credit scene or alternate ending for getting 100%. Candleman loses his will to live, falls into the darkness, roll credits.

I was actually kind of pissed at first, but man kudos to the developers for going through with such a bleak ending for what was otherwise an incredibly charming game.

I nabbed it for $10 during a sale and am super happy with my purchase. I hope more people check this one out.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If people want some jurp in their lives consider Cosmic Star Heroine

No random battles, the enemies on the map are what you find.

It has an interesting battle system where you set 7 abilities per character, and can use each one once until you rest, heavy on buffs/debuffs and elements. Every 3-4 turns you go hyper, which increases whatever you so drastically. So you try to set things up for hyperturns and then hit hard, or use a Dot that'll tick for the rest of the fight.

It's about 12-15h long I hear (I'm 8 hours in) for $15 bucks. Because of the short length it leaps through the story sometimes, but it beats hours of exposition.

The story is a sci-fi government turns evil, supercop goes rogue. It looks 16bit

https://youtu.be/c-ObS2y5ApQ

Made by Zeboyd , who made the Cthulhu saves the World, Breath of Death VIII, and the last 2 PA games.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

It looks like the monsters show up as floating black spheres in the field, so not quite random encounters

Something's wrong with me because the most exciting thing about that trailer is the drawn backgrounds with polygonal characters but with polygonal battle arenas. I will eat that incredibly specific shit up.

It's so PS1-but-without-garbage-graphics and I'm really into it. Honestly I'm fine with randbatts too. I was just playing some Bravely Second this weekend and it was fine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Finished plague knight

Plague Knight/Mona OTP

the gender change option make me rather enthusiastic about it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Finished plague knight

Plague Knight/Mona OTP

the gender change option make me rather enthusiastic about it

Sadly that only is available on the main Shovel Knight campaign.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited May 2017
    whaaaaat? boooooo

edit: like, shit, that was one of the big draws to having it on my wishlist

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, body swap mode is main game only

It's not just a gender toggle, though; you can set each character's body and pronouns independent of each other, so you can make the main game have whatever kind of combination you please

Edit: They specifically called it "body swap" instead of "gender swap," as well as making body and pronouns separate options independent of each other, after conferring with members of the player community who had a more diverse view on gender than the development team

It'd be real cool if they added in body swap options for the other campaigns but I guess that's a lot more work than I would have assumed?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

It's so PS1-but-without-garbage-graphics and I'm really into it. Honestly I'm fine with randbatts too. I was just playing some Bravely Second this weekend and it was fine.

I

was kinda disappointed with the graphical fidelity of the characters

I wanna see those polygons

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Yeah in sure there's a reason why body swap isn't in every thing but it sure seems like something that'd be pretty easily doable across all three campaigns

I wonder if they'll eventually patch it into plague and specter

• Options
    Also I'm still sad that shield knight isn't getting a campaign

Wanna captain America my way through the world as a super tall shield maiden

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the fact that it took this long despite being a regular ol' kickstarter stretch goal makes me assume that they accidentally coded the game such that they have to bend backwards 360 degrees to make it work at all

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Yeah to be clear I meant to say that I, a fool, would assume that body swap wouldn't be super difficult, but when I think about it it seems like it must be hard or else they'd probably do more

Edit: Jesus they still have to make a battle mode, too...

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've been waiting on body swap mode to even buy the game at all. Glad it's in now, but yeah it's a shame it's not for the expansions yet (ever?)

This discussion has been closed.