As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about some coffee

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    pooka wrote: »
    if it makes you feel better, i have technically been a coffee professional.

e: and i ahem am not the most intuitive at mathing. if i can do it...!

toddy = a proprietary commercial cold brewing process/system, used as slang for all cold brew (like Kleenex, a proprietary eponym)
    walk-in = a large, walk-in fridge or freezer, good for screaming in rage without alerting customers

The walk-in freezer at Maccas was good for releasing pent-up anger. The thing is super-duper sound proof due to all the insulation, so I could just walk in there and scream about shitty customers all I liked.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I like doing iced coffee using pour over with some ice replacing roughly 1/3 of the water you'd normally use. Comes out pretty smooth and not as good as cold brew, but pretty close and its much faster in a pinch.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i miss my nice regulars. not enough to go back, but there were some real sweethearts.

anyway, coffee. my body has betrayed me (welcome to your 30s/life!), so i have pretty much switched to decaf, and lactose-free milks. i feel like the goddamn most dilettante when one of my orders gets called, but the rare excellent decaf espresso and perfectly-steamed cortado is a thing of beauty. i just want to import German coffee culture so i can have all the baller perfect-proportion, commonly-available decaf lactose-frei milchkaffee forever.

i tried to order a cortado from a Starbucks while traveling, and the girl apparently kept ringing me for a con panna. no! just... a single shot, with an equal amount of steamed milk. charge it however, that's fine. the second time (i was sleepier than i initially thought), i managed to catch the barista and say no whipped cream, and she gave me such a look. i drank my tepid shot and got back on the road.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Am I going to waste my time if I try to just use a simple grinder and put some regular grinds in it, grind them up a bit finer, and use them in a moka pot?

Do I need to get something like Cafe Bustelo?

e: I use one of these, for reference

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    cold brew is super easy once you've got the materials.
    5 lbs of a coarse grind, 16 quarts water to yield about 3 gallons concentrate after 24 hours. paper filter inside a silk bag minimizes sludge.
    ...you don't have a walk-in?
    (hue hue hue)
    {HEY LOOK, if i'm gonna be stuck with years of food-service minutiae cluttering my brain forever, i'm gonna make stupid jokes}

i should try making some decaf toddy in my French press...!
    anyway, a slightly less ass-kicking ratio is 1:1, so you could do 1/4lb to 4 cups and still get a concentrate that will store well for about two weeks.
    and steamed toddy tastes better than iced espresso, so if you only have resources for one...

I missed the key word "concentrate" when I read through that and was flabbergasted at how low the extraction was. I'm glad the coffee I was drinking kicked in when I was halfway done the math

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    bialetti pots are just real nice

they just feel nice to use and have

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I've got a gallon of cold brew cold brewing in the fridge right now. Should be able to report back after my jog tomorrow morning

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I finally remembered to ship my broken cold brew kit!

The instructions inside were kind of vague

What's a good grind of coffee to get for it?

Will already ground and bagged coffee that I can get in the grocery work for it?

Or does it need to be ground differently?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    About the same as for a french press grind, a medium one.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Drinking some Guatemalan blend from Starbucks right now. Put a bit of Mexican vanilla on the grounds.

Damn fine cup of coffee right here

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Mornings for work and when I just want a quick cup, I will grind up some beans (I have a great place nearby that gets freshly roasted beans every sunday) and use my auto drip

Midday coffee, its french press or moka pot. If I am really dragging ass, I'll forgo fancy beans and toss some cafe bustelo into the moka pot.

I should really add a chemex to my collection.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just drink flavored Keurig coffee. Whatever.

I had on with cinimon in and and it smelled so good.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    @Tox asked me about this so I figured I might as well make a post to the thread proper.

How to make cuban coffee properly.

A critical element is the foam layer that goes on top of the coffee. When making it with a moka pot you need something to bring that foam layer to the top.

What you do is, take the first bit of coffee that is coming out of the moka pot and pour it over the sugar. You then whisk the mixture into a foam, then introduce the coffee to the mix, and stir until the foam comes to the top.

This video, despite being horrific in its use of white sugar instead of demerara sugar, is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkNSTxPZDvg

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My cold brew is complete!
    I used preground stuff from the store so it was fine than I'd like but still damn tasty! Tiny splash of milk and I'm all set.
    I recommend it for anyone on the fence about giving it a go

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I really need to grab some decaf the next time I got to the store. Sometimes I want a cup of coffee in the evening but I do not want all of that caffeine.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I want to make some cold brew.

I gotta get since equipment I guess huh.

I only have one pitcher and the closest thing to a strainer I have is big hole plastic pasta colenders.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want to make some cold brew.

I gotta get since equipment I guess huh.

I only have one pitcher and the closest thing to a strainer I have is big hole plastic pasta colenders.

Can pour through coffee filters and styrofoam cups! I know from experience haha

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I used to use a muslin cloth and a strainer funnel thing when I was doing immersion cold drip, worked good and is cheap from a cookware shop.

• Options
    I need a strainer for my kitchen and a couple new cheap pitchers anyway.

Also still thinking of getting a moka pot and something to froth milk.

• Options
    yay got my moka pot today! Won't get to actually use it until Tuesday probably, unless I just make a pot tomorrow for the hey of it.

I did notice it's very loud unscrewing the two parts. Guessing that's just the whole metal on metal thing. Probably need to find some sort of lubricant.

Also re: frothing milk apparently the best way to do it is just get a container with sealing lid, fill it up about 1/3-1/2 with milk, and shake the absolute fuck out of it (it's well documented that fucks prevent frothing, so make sure all the fucks have been shaken out). I dunno I usually prefer that sort of super low tech solution unless a milk frother is just legit that much better, but I feel like a hand whisk probably does a good enough job as well as long as you beat it enough.

Also also I experimented with brown sugar last night. Ours is old and lumpy as hell, so I tossed some bread in the container and hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

I am excite!

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i haven't tried it (at all, whoops), but i imagine these smoothie shaker bottle things would work pretty well, too?
    Blender-Bottle-with-Wire-Ball-300x192.jpg
    i see 'em free (with purchase?) at the grocery store a lot..

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    i haven't tried it (at all, whoops), but i imagine these smoothie shaker bottle things would work pretty well, too?
    Blender-Bottle-with-Wire-Ball-300x192.jpg
    i see 'em free (with purchase?) at the grocery store a lot..

That's exactly what I was thinking about picking up. They've got pretty cheap ones on Amazon

• Options
    We've had to get up early the last couple of days, so I haven't any time to play around and experiment with my moka pot.

It's really big, but I got the 24oz/12 cup one, so yeah. Luckily it fits on the burner.

• Options
    I got some mason jars to do coldbrew in.

Should I steep it at room temp or in the fridge?

Also got a moka pot and tried it out, just did 1 third coffee 1 third warmed up milk and like three big spoons of milk foam.

It's pretty good, though I'm used to taking coffee with sugar and didn't add any so it's a good deal stronger of a flavor than I'm used too.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I got some mason jars to do coldbrew in.

Should I steep it at room temp or in the fridge?

Personally I prefer to do it in the fridge. Never tried it at room temp but it doesn't seem necessary (and might be preferable to do in the fridge to avoid pulling out some of the bitter bean oils).

• Options
    Well it's already been at room temp for an hour.

I guess I'm commit ed to room temp for 12 hours at this point.

Next time I'll try the fridge and compare.

Also I need beans now, guess I'm going to the local roaster tomorrow.

• Options
    Well it's already been at room temp for an hour.

I guess I'm commit ed to room temp for 12 hours at this point.

Next time I'll try the fridge and compare.

Also I need beans now, guess I'm going to the local roaster tomorrow.

How'd it turn out?

• Options
    It is good. Filtering it was tricky. Pouring out of a mason jar is sometimes inaccurate. Just used my drip machine basket and carafe to filter it since the only metal sieve thing they had at the store was kitchen aid brand and marked for 34 dollars.

Maybe a little bitter actaually. but I used a little closer to 1 cup of beans than 3 fourths cup besides the whole room temp thing. But a bit of milk and a drop of simple syrup makes a nice cool beverage.

• Options
    Something I read...somewhere? Said treat cold brew like drip except:

1 - use a slightly courser grind
    2 - use half as much water (or twice as much coffee)
    3 - let is sit for ~12 hours

The last one was because much over 12 hours and you apparently start pulling in the bitterness from the beans. Maybe that's what happened?

• Options
    I filtered it around 8:30 this morning basically exactly 12 hours so that isn't it.

• Options
    I found out you can roast coffee beans in a hot air popcorn popper.
    So I bought one. And 5 lbs of unroasted coffee beans.

Roasted my first batch tonight. Will try it tomorrow morning. But I am excited and hopeful!

Also used the popper to make popcorn.
    Put some vegetable oil in a spray bottle and spritzed the popcorn after it was done so my flavor powder would stick.

A+ foodxperiment night

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Been making cold brew with my french press as suggested by someone here. It's fantastic.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Moka pot coffee is really good you guys.

Especially with some warm frothed milk!

This time I used preheated water so as not to cook the grounds and then ran it under cold water right as it finished brewing to stop it from getting too bitter.

Still added a tiny drip of simple syrup to mine sad to say though.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    What's your current method of frothing milk?

• Options
    I bought one of those little frothing wands and just ran it in a half cup of warm milk. :P

• Options
    hmmmmm, we'll see. Imma try to just shake the fuck out of some milk and see what I get that way.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    hmmmmm, we'll see. Imma try to just shake the fuck out of some milk and see what I get that way.

if you have a whisk you could just beat the ever loving hell out of it.

Or use a blender but cleaning milk from a blender can be hard.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also just used the moka pot. Just a little bit of milk in the bottom of the mug to pour the coffee in to.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I found out you can roast coffee beans in a hot air popcorn popper.
    So I bought one. And 5 lbs of unroasted coffee beans.

Roasted my first batch tonight. Will try it tomorrow morning. But I am excited and hopeful!

Also used the popper to make popcorn.
    Put some vegetable oil in a spray bottle and spritzed the popcorn after it was done so my flavor powder would stick.

A+ foodxperiment night

I just roast mine in the oven. It takes a bit of experimentation to get it right. Report back with results!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I signed up for a 4 weeks plan from blue bottle.

Hope it works well for me the only local rosters in town take like 30 minutes of driving to get to and then you have to somehow park.