As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about some coffee

12345679»

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    grrmusha wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    If it's too easy your grounds are too coarse for sure.
    they were at first, but if i make them any finer, they'll end up being too fine? :/ i'll just leave grinder as is until i get other coffee, then see how that one turns out. if it's watery again, i'll decrease grind size. instructions on the box say 3 scoops/tbs, but i agree with you. 4 should be just right for that amount, IF it actually worked lol.
    Maybe silly, but how hot is your water?
    i use el. kettle. i don't know the temp, i don't measure it lol. this is what i get for asking coffee nerds :P I should buy entire laboratory to make one decent cup of joe.

What I've found has worked well for coffee temp without a thermometer is to get the water to boiling then take it off of heat for 1 minute before using it to brew.

If you haven't got a thermometer but you want to have a pretty close to exact way to get water at a certain temperature, what you do is boil a kettle or saucepan full of water and prepare some icewater in another container with water and ice cubes. Then you just use a measuring jug to get the right temperature - 800 mL of boiling water (carefully) mixed with 200 mL of icewater should result in a litre of water at 80 degrees celcius, bada bing bada boom, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just like a bought one, and Robert's your Mother's brother.

This won't work at all, you need to account for the initial temperature of ice, the latent energy for the ice to melt and the energy in the kettle as well. Considering everyone's freezer is different it just won't be consistent.

Shit, it worked in science class in high school.

Because they knew the temperature of the ice.

For the purposes of brewing tea or coffee, water that is in a cup full of melting ice will be close enough to zero that it's functionally the same. Maybe if you followed my example above you'd get water that is 79.26 degrees instead of 80, or 80.39 degrees, but it's close enough.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It isn't zero though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    grrmusha wrote: »
    If it's too easy your grounds are too coarse for sure.
    they were at first, but if i make them any finer, they'll end up being too fine? :/ i'll just leave grinder as is until i get other coffee, then see how that one turns out. if it's watery again, i'll decrease grind size. instructions on the box say 3 scoops/tbs, but i agree with you. 4 should be just right for that amount, IF it actually worked lol.
    Maybe silly, but how hot is your water?
    i use el. kettle. i don't know the temp, i don't measure it lol. this is what i get for asking coffee nerds :P I should buy entire laboratory to make one decent cup of joe.

What I've found has worked well for coffee temp without a thermometer is to get the water to boiling then take it off of heat for 1 minute before using it to brew.

If you haven't got a thermometer but you want to have a pretty close to exact way to get water at a certain temperature, what you do is boil a kettle or saucepan full of water and prepare some icewater in another container with water and ice cubes. Then you just use a measuring jug to get the right temperature - 800 mL of boiling water (carefully) mixed with 200 mL of icewater should result in a litre of water at 80 degrees celcius, bada bing bada boom, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just like a bought one, and Robert's your Mother's brother.

This won't work at all, you need to account for the initial temperature of ice, the latent energy for the ice to melt and the energy in the kettle as well. Considering everyone's freezer is different it just won't be consistent.

I thought this was a joke post on how crazy coffee people can get.

I was half right.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Chris I do not know why you are trying to argue, and then claim the high ground on this when you are, quoting from what you said, "your high school teacher". When it is literally my job, to teach this, and not only teach it by throwing some ice into some boiling water, but to make people do the maths to predict the amount of energy in the system at it's end point.

• Options
    I said, and I quote: "If you haven't got a thermometer but you want to have a pretty close to exact way to get water at a certain temperature,"

You're the one getting all anal retentive.

You do know how actual trained baristas zero out their dip thermometers, yes? (hint, it involves a cup of ice and some water)

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Let's just address this more important part: don't brew your coffee at 80 degrees C, that's far too cold. Water temperature around 90-95C (195-205F) for full proper extraction

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Really?

I always heard you want water around 180F, less likely to overextract and get really bitter coffee.

Huh I guess I was wrong looking it up, most things say at least 195.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The very scientific “just below boiling” is what I’ always heard.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I've recently (this year) been buying my beans green on Amazon and self roasting them. I like the outcome but my grinder I use is really a spice grinder and not adjustable so it's very inconsistent.

What's the verdict on a good grinder I can throw on an Amazon wish list and hope at?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I've recently (this year) been buying my beans green on Amazon and self roasting them. I like the outcome but my grinder I use is really a spice grinder and not adjustable so it's very inconsistent.

What's the verdict on a good grinder I can throw on an Amazon wish list and hope at?

Hario makes good conical burr hand grinders, they do a slim one which I have which is a pain if you are doing a full drip batch or cold brew or something. Or you can get their Skerton model which is larger.

I hear the baratza encore is the one you want if you want electric.

Please tell me how to roast them myself?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Hario makes good conical burr hand grinders, they do a slim one which I have which is a pain if you are doing a full drip batch or cold brew or something. Or you can get their Skerton model which is larger.

Please tell me how to roast them myself?

I learned it from watching Alton Brown live!
    Get one of those shitty fifteen dollar hot air popcorn poppers. Put your beans in there and let them go for like 5 min minimum. It'll smoke a lot as they roast and it makes a mess because the bean hulls are flaky and shot off. But you can get some damn fine coffee

• Options
    I hear you can use one of those stove top popcorn things with the handle and stirrer built in?

I'm not sure the vent hood over my stove can handle that much smoke though.

I still might try it out.

What is a good raw coffee to pick up on amazon?

• Options
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I have the Baratza and it's good: loud as a MF'er though.

Thanks for the links! Guess I know what I'll be putting on my wishlist.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Stuck in Kuwait till January, coffee is helping me survive

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    If you get an electric grinder, they are all loud so I wouldn't really try and find a quiet grind or anything.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
  • Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Heya. Coffee update. I ordered coffee from this guy who is professional in the field(owns a coffee shop, organizes coffee festival in the capital). I got two types, one was recommended for mokka, the other for french press, and he ground it too. Finally I've managed to make decent coffee with french press! I didn't need to steep longer or anything, 3 mins and that's it. Don't know what it was, whether it was coffee type or the grind(looked same as mine but I took pics of it for reference)but it was pretty good. For the first time I could drink coffee without milk, probably without sugar too but I prefer it with. Now, if anyone else can tell me where can I get Hario's gooseneck kettle for normal price and shipping to EU(with normal shipping)?Apparently there are Chinese and Japanese made ones and there is a big difference, and I almost ordered one from Ebay not knowing this :/

grrmusha on