As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

The limits for FIFA on Nintendo Switch

Be it a design decision, a sacrifice, or a bit of both, this time it's the FUT Champions and Squad Battles modes that don't make the cut. Is that because they expect Switch players to be more casual? "I see it as being more social," is perhaps the diplomatic way of saying 'yes' - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. While Lăzărescu stresses quite fairly that "casual represents different things to different people," the choice to drop those features is based on the type of audience they expect. "I look at them as two different games, two different worlds, that I think we should take for what they are, and keep in mind that we should not try to force people onto certain things just because it works on a certain platform."

Frostbite, the engine adopted for the first time by FIFA 17, is what powers just about all of the main series' big updates this year - the Journey follow-up, the new 'cinematic' Career Mode transfers, the special animation system that Wes mentioned when he first tried the game, and even the more detailed stadia and crowds - and we've already established it's missing from FIFA on Switch. Instead, the Switch version has its own engine built from the ground up - "the hardware is very difficult," Lăzărescu says, and it means a future mode exactly like the Journey is "unlikely." Likewise those new additions I mentioned "would take an army of people, if it was possible, to be done."

So if 'foundation' is Lăzărescu's favourite word when talking about FIFA Switch ("to set a foundation base for the game" was also an internal goal, he reminds me), then 'compromise' is probably mine. It needn't be a negative thing. FIFA on Switch will, if it sells well enough, forge its own path. Those 'foundations' are versatile, after all - "I don't think it's impossible to do more with this engine." It's just a case of how you like to play.

Between this, needing a download, and needing an sd card to play the physical release, I can't see this doing very well

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=yp9SXNjm1aI

NBA 2k18 looks great, will be a day one purchase for me.

I've never played a FIFA game in my life, and stopped caring about soccer when I stopped playing in middle school.

I hope they make a Madden game for Switch.

Edit: Different youtube video showing Cavs vs Warriors, pure handheld mode, no commentary. Game looks amazing in portable mode.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I would hope that the Switch sees a bunch of batshit crazy arcadey sports games because those are always the best.

But I sort of doubt that the Wii NBA JAM release did that well even though it was a lot of fun.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

The limits for FIFA on Nintendo Switch

Be it a design decision, a sacrifice, or a bit of both, this time it's the FUT Champions and Squad Battles modes that don't make the cut. Is that because they expect Switch players to be more casual? "I see it as being more social," is perhaps the diplomatic way of saying 'yes' - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. While Lăzărescu stresses quite fairly that "casual represents different things to different people," the choice to drop those features is based on the type of audience they expect. "I look at them as two different games, two different worlds, that I think we should take for what they are, and keep in mind that we should not try to force people onto certain things just because it works on a certain platform."

Frostbite, the engine adopted for the first time by FIFA 17, is what powers just about all of the main series' big updates this year - the Journey follow-up, the new 'cinematic' Career Mode transfers, the special animation system that Wes mentioned when he first tried the game, and even the more detailed stadia and crowds - and we've already established it's missing from FIFA on Switch. Instead, the Switch version has its own engine built from the ground up - "the hardware is very difficult," Lăzărescu says, and it means a future mode exactly like the Journey is "unlikely." Likewise those new additions I mentioned "would take an army of people, if it was possible, to be done."

So if 'foundation' is Lăzărescu's favourite word when talking about FIFA Switch ("to set a foundation base for the game" was also an internal goal, he reminds me), then 'compromise' is probably mine. It needn't be a negative thing. FIFA on Switch will, if it sells well enough, forge its own path. Those 'foundations' are versatile, after all - "I don't think it's impossible to do more with this engine." It's just a case of how you like to play.

Between this, needing a download, and needing an sd card to play the physical release, I can't see this doing very well

I'm thoroughly convinced EA is self-sabotaging themselves on the Switch as soon as possible so they can shrug and say "our efforts didn't sell and it was too hard" when they pull support, nevermind that everyone and their brother has been porting their shit to the thing left and right with (so far) less than a year turnaround time. Or they're entirely staffed by devs who only know how to use their in-house tools, in which case, good luck finding a job when you get laid off, fellas.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Woke up this morning to continue playing Mario + Rabbids and my right joycon is completely non responsive. It can't be the battery because the left joycon is still full, but I gave it an hour to charge anyway. The little lights on the side won't even come on when I press a button so I'm pretty sure at some point in the last ten hours it just spontaneously died.

My real worry is that it may be the switch that's broken, if the right side connectors have broken then the battery in the joycon could actually be completely flat. And I have no other way of charging or testing this.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to continue playing Mario + Rabbids and my right joycon is completely non responsive. It can't be the battery because the left joycon is still full, but I gave it an hour to charge anyway. The little lights on the side won't even come on when I press a button so I'm pretty sure at some point in the last ten hours it just spontaneously died.

My real worry is that it may be the switch that's broken, if the right side connectors have broken then the battery in the joycon could actually be completely flat. And I have no other way of charging or testing this.

It's a bummer when it breaks - but call Nintendo support, they're very fast. Worst case scenario is they have your machine for a few days.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids worth it?

I never played the original Splatoon or XCOM really. I love the idea of Mario + Rabbids...but not sure.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »

100% yes, they're two of the best games on the system.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options

It's a bummer when it breaks - but call Nintendo support, they're very fast. Worst case scenario is they have your machine for a few days.

But I'm going to miss the splatfest and I already have an unhealthy dependency on M+R to get me through the day.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I never played the original Splatoon or XCOM really. I love the idea of Mario + Rabbids...but not sure.

There's not a lot of meat on the Splatoon bones, the campaign is really tedious to the point I didn't finish it and if you're not down with the core gameplay there's no real incentive to the multiplayer or hooks to keep you going

Mario + Rabbids is the best game on the system

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Splatoon is really fun with some great music and designs for everything. Single player is full of Mario Galaxy-style concepts, something new every level, hard-to-find-secrets. Turf war online is such a great concept that it just doesn't get stale for me, plus they keep adding more free content regularly.

Mario + Rabbids is brilliant and funny and well-designed. People compare it to XCOM but it's quite a bit more streamlined, and yet still tactical. They hit a really good balance between being too simple or too complicated.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I had this freak issue happen. Right joycon wouldn't turn on, connecting it to the Switch did nothing, and the green lights didn't even blink. What fixed it was hitting the little reset button on it to resync it, and then it just came back to life, and I haven't had any problems since.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I would hope that the Switch sees a bunch of batshit crazy arcadey sports games because those are always the best.

But I sort of doubt that the Wii NBA JAM release did that well even though it was a lot of fun.

I'd love to see EA revive/remaster their EA Sports Big titles (SSX, NBA Street, NFL Street, FIFA Street, etc) titles for the Switch, since they don't seem particularly interested in bringing the brand back elsewhere.

• Options
    They tried bringing back SSX

It didn't work

• Options
    I don't mean crap like SSX Blur on Wii, but a mainline SSX game. Although doing a little research into sales figures, the 2012 release didn't really sell all that well, it only made EA about $40 million (aka just over a million units in sales)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    They tried bringing back SSX

It didn't work

Which is weird because it was a commercial success. I'm guessing it didn't sell the X million copies they wanted it to. Look, let NST have the licence so they can release SSX vs 1080: Arctic Race on the Switch. Rosters and mechanics from both games, off/online multiplayer, and DLC with extra tracks/characters from both games. DO IT!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    I don't mean crap like SSX Blur on Wii, but a mainline SSX game. Although doing a little research into sales figures, the 2012 release didn't really sell all that well, it only made EA about $40 million (aka just over a million units in sales)

I assumed he meant Deadly Descents, the game that was laughed at out of the gate for being all realistic hardcorez survival danger etc. such that they had to redesign the whole thing in an attempt to make it fun again.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I guess they are not streaming the Nintendo panel from PAX, that's disappointing. This was the 1 panel on the Twitch schedule I was really looking forward to (other than Movies with Mikey)

nusu on
  • Options

I had this freak issue happen. Right joycon wouldn't turn on, connecting it to the Switch did nothing, and the green lights didn't even blink. What fixed it was hitting the little reset button on it to resync it, and then it just came back to life, and I haven't had any problems since.

It worked!

What's really dumb though is that I thought I tried this along with all the other buttons. But instead I was pressing the detach joycon button like a complete idiot.

sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    We all do dumb things when we panic.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

This.

I've had this happen with both joycons. But yeah after a moment of panic it's always turned out to just be a synching issue.

Might be worth adding to the op?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I have a hard time remembering anything too distinct about his voice other than "petulant little shit"

I'm sure they'll find a perfectly fine replacement

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So a Rabbids game turns out to be not just the best game released for the Switch so far, but one of my favorite games to come out this gen...

Who would have ever guessed that? O_o

So far Mario + Rabbids and Horizon are the best this gen has to offer me. Crazy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Qualifiers were a huge success. Got two of each poster except for the mk7 poster, of which I got one. Pics of the event/loot when I get home.

Oh btw I asked the rep your question and she said "Mario doesn't care about his sense of self or who he's possessing, he only cares about rescuing peach"

Then she begged me not to post that anywhere.

edit: First reply gets the Odyssey poster. You gotta pay shipping tho.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Qualifiers were a huge success. Got two of each poster except for the mk7 poster, of which I got one. Pics of the event/loot when I get home.

Oh btw I asked the rep your question and she said "Mario doesn't care about his sense of self or who he's possessing, he only cares about rescuing peach"

Oh, wait, Mario? A pox on THAT shipping! (Woyld love a Mario poster over a Samus one)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Oh, wait, Mario? A pox on THAT shipping! (Woyld love a Mario poster over a Samus one)

k, edit your post on the 3ds thread so they know it's still avail.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

Can't speak for Mario+Rabbids, but as someone who is not overly fond of online shooters and never got into Splatoon, I love Splatoon2. I started out finding ways to contribute to my team even without being good at the "shooting other people" aspect, but I've even grown into that part. On the surface many of the weapons can seem very same-y, but once you start playing you notice how even minor differences totally transform the game. Sometimes I get bored playing with my double-pistols so I swap to the Umbrella and it demands a huge change in how I play, and keeps it interesting.

Similarly, swapping between Turf Wars / Salmon Run / Campaign (admittedly the most lackluster part of the game, but I still enjoy it and it is interesting) keeps things fresh, and I haven't even touched the Ranked Modes, which seem to have the most variety.

There's not a lot of meat on the Splatoon bones, the campaign is really tedious to the point I didn't finish it and if you're not down with the core gameplay there's no real incentive to the multiplayer or hooks to keep you going

Mario + Rabbids is the best game on the system

I guess that's a fair point, but couldn't you say this about every game? Like, if you don't like the core gameplay, there isn't much to keep you invested in Super Mario 64, Zelda, etc.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The most accurate way I can explain Kingdom Battle is to say that it's as if Super Mario RPG and Xcom had a baby.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

This.

I've had this happen with both joyTHIS. But yeah after a moment of panic it's always turned out to just be a synching issue.

Might be worth adding to the op?
    Also, if that doesn't work, attach the joycons, and do a full power cycle (not just sleep mode). That fixed my problem last time it happened

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Here I am with Mario lookin' like Tormund Giantsbane's illegitimate hipster son:

WroTm1K.jpg

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Here I am with Mario lookin' like Tormund Giantsbane's illegitimate hipster son:

WroTm1K.jpg

You're on the right, correct? :P

• Options

WroTm1K.jpg

I can't believe Mario's just a normal guy who shops at stores like everyone else!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

WroTm1K.jpg

I can't believe Mario's just a normal guy who shops at stores like everyone else!

He also dabs terribly at stores, with backup dancers.

xVXvfFt.jpg

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Final Fantasy XV Director Clarifies Nintendo Switch Tease; Team Is Looking into the Platform
    A few days ago, during a livestream from Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata teased what appeared to be a possible Nintendo Switch version of the game. Since the tease was rather vague, and quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, DualShockers asked Tabata-san to clarify whether a port is actually coming or not during an interview today at PAX West.

Tabata-san explained that nothing has been decided yet. The development team is testing out what kind of specs the Switch can provide. They tried to test the Luminous Engine (which is the engine powering the game on PS4 and Xbox One) on the platform, and they figured out that at this point in time the team can’t “bring out the most of the engine” on the Switch.

For the time being they stopped there, but they’re still looking into the Switch, to see what they can do on it.

Tabata-san then clarified that this isn’t to say anything negative about the Switch, as the team did not do any specific optimization to the Liminous Engine for Nintendo’s console. They simply loaded it in to see how it would perform. They also made tests on Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and they noticed that those ran well on Switch.

The team is at a point in which they understand the technical specifications of the Switch, and they will continue to look into what they can do for the platform. Like with therecently announced Windows Edition and the Pocket Edition, if they’re going to release something for Nintendo’s hybrid console, they want to make sure that they’ll capitalize on the platform’s characteristics, bringing out the most of it.

In the meanwhile, Square Enix is continuing to update Final Fantasy XV for PS4 and Xbox One, and they recently released update 1.15 and the Assassin’s Festival crossover event with the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Sorry, but if they can't do FFXV properly they shouldn't do it at all. That mobile version looks like garbage - its baby FFXV, the version you give to your little brother. I want to play the big boy version.

Yeah I know I sound like a douche but that's how I feel.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Loot shot:

fSIwGWN.jpg

You get the hat for buying Kingdom Battle and the MK7 poster for participating in the qualifier.

The interesting thing is you only have to register (which has a line) and wait in line to do the qualifying. If you just want to demo and get the posters you can walk in and get in a seperate, shorter line for that. When I did this there was no line at all, which is how I was able to go through twice. After I demo'ed and got the posters the registration line had died down, so I barely had to wait in line for that either. Met a lot of cool people and even saw some familiar faces from the Summer of Play event. It was a good time. Although I didn't even come close to qualifying, missed the boost with the glider twice and ruined my chances.

edit: also it's worth demo'ing odyssey twice because they give you an option of playing either new donk city or the sand level. I went through and did both. Seemlessly flowing from 3d to old school 2d gameplay on the wall then back to 3d as you jump up out of it was super cool.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy XV Director Clarifies Nintendo Switch Tease; Team Is Looking into the Platform
    A few days ago, during a livestream from Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata teased what appeared to be a possible Nintendo Switch version of the game. Since the tease was rather vague, and quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, DualShockers asked Tabata-san to clarify whether a port is actually coming or not during an interview today at PAX West.

Tabata-san explained that nothing has been decided yet. The development team is testing out what kind of specs the Switch can provide. They tried to test the Luminous Engine (which is the engine powering the game on PS4 and Xbox One) on the platform, and they figured out that at this point in time the team can’t “bring out the most of the engine” on the Switch.

For the time being they stopped there, but they’re still looking into the Switch, to see what they can do on it.

Tabata-san then clarified that this isn’t to say anything negative about the Switch, as the team did not do any specific optimization to the Liminous Engine for Nintendo’s console. They simply loaded it in to see how it would perform. They also made tests on Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and they noticed that those ran well on Switch.

The team is at a point in which they understand the technical specifications of the Switch, and they will continue to look into what they can do for the platform. Like with therecently announced Windows Edition and the Pocket Edition, if they’re going to release something for Nintendo’s hybrid console, they want to make sure that they’ll capitalize on the platform’s characteristics, bringing out the most of it.

In the meanwhile, Square Enix is continuing to update Final Fantasy XV for PS4 and Xbox One, and they recently released update 1.15 and the Assassin’s Festival crossover event with the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

I'd much rather have a revamped/upgraded/awesome collection of the old titles (say I-VI or maybe all the way up to X). Or, shit, another Tactics game.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm excited for the upcoming info for Octopath Traveler. I need to know more about it!

This discussion has been closed.