As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this Wii Thread had a terrible name so I changed it

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »

No, I found that one, that was trivial. I'm thinking of something else.

Which one?

How many exits did you find? There are 96 total.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Defender your complaint strikes me like wanting to replay the dungeons in Zelda except now I have 20 hearts and I should be able to turn those off again if I want.

I think Mario games do a good job at giving you little benefits to show your accomplishments.

Zelda and Mario are a little different; in Zelda, your character gets more powerful as the game goes on. In Mario, you are a few hits from being dead, and a few power-ups from being at maximum power, at any given moment.

The issue I have with Mario is that the weird-ass mix-and-match graphics get annoying kind of quickly and then I can't deactivate them.

So basically you hate your trophy and want to give it back.

I guess I liked the whimsical fall style so I can't really empathize.

Strato on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »

No, I found that one, that was trivial. I'm thinking of something else.

Which one?

How many exits did you find? There are 96 total.

Oh what the f

goddammit

I found all 96 then

I thought that was 96%

Sorry, it's been years. By the way, is butter bridge the one where the alternate exit is (in the map screen) a ladder off the bridge that goes down into the lake? I think Soda Lake, maybe?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Defender your complaint strikes me like wanting to replay the dungeons in Zelda except now I have 20 hearts and I should be able to turn those off again if I want.

I think Mario games do a good job at giving you little benefits to show your accomplishments.

Zelda and Mario are a little different; in Zelda, your character gets more powerful as the game goes on. In Mario, you are a few hits from being dead, and a few power-ups from being at maximum power, at any given moment.

The issue I have with Mario is that the weird-ass mix-and-match graphics get annoying kind of quickly and then I can't deactivate them.

So basically you hate your trophy and want to give it back.

I guess I liked the whimsical fall style so I can't really empathize.

Yeah basically I didn't want to play with the weirdo graphics all the time. They were an OK novelty, but I liked the base graphics better.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh what the f

goddammit

I found all 96 then

I thought that was 96%

Sorry, it's been years. By the way, is butter bridge the one where the alternate exit is (in the map screen) a ladder off the bridge that goes down into the lake? I think Soda Lake, maybe?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, pretty sure that's the one.

Pata on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, Umbrella Chronicles, Boogie and De Blob all look like awesome games. In fact there seem to be many more games to look forward to on the Wii...

But damn if I'm not totally envious of the Xbox for its Halo, its Gears of War, Resident Evil 5, Forza 2, Call of Duty 4.

I like novel ideas and interesting concepts but dammit sometimes I just want to shoot fuckers in the head in a very standard fashion... :(

Iskander on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    buy a 360?

play pc shooters?

wait another six months to a year to play decent third party wii stuff?

so many choices!

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gym wrote: »
    buy a 360?

play pc shooters?

wait another six months to a year to play decent third party wii stuff?

so many choices!

I'm probably going to buy a 360 when the price comes down and they get hardware glitches worked out. For RE 5 especially.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah, I'm kind of waiting around for a price drop before I buy one
    or maybe a good bundle or something

I was going to rebuild my pc, but a recent financial emergency put a stop to that..

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    jackal wrote: »
    Joon wrote: »
    my only beef with twilight princess is that the rewards for the extra stuff sucked.

Nintendo seems to be working under the philosophy that the side quests and getting 100% in their games are the rewards themselves.

Mario 64: Hey, it's Yoshi! Shit, I can't ride him? Lame. 100 extra lives? What the fuck for, I did everything already.

Sunshine: Oh hey, the "Congratulations!" wallpaper at the end changed. That's it? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

The worst was Super Mario World. It wasn't a 100% reward, but the Star Road thing...terrible. Wow, now the graphics are all acid-trippy! Great! Except I can't turn it back off!

Special World was awesome.

Yeah, the secret star world was great. And the weird graphical shift was interesting FOR A LITTLE BIT, but what sucks is that once you do that, you can't go back to regular mode. So if I just wanna walk around and replay my favorite levels with the "normal" graphics, I can't do it. I have to start a new save slot and work my way up. I would really like it better if that last thing at the end of the secret worlds was a switch that would turn on/off the screwy graphics so I wouldn't be stuck with it.

what?

I thought you just went back to that button or whatever at the end of Star Road

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    jackal wrote: »
    Joon wrote: »
    my only beef with twilight princess is that the rewards for the extra stuff sucked.

Nintendo seems to be working under the philosophy that the side quests and getting 100% in their games are the rewards themselves.

Mario 64: Hey, it's Yoshi! Shit, I can't ride him? Lame. 100 extra lives? What the fuck for, I did everything already.

Sunshine: Oh hey, the "Congratulations!" wallpaper at the end changed. That's it? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

The worst was Super Mario World. It wasn't a 100% reward, but the Star Road thing...terrible. Wow, now the graphics are all acid-trippy! Great! Except I can't turn it back off!

Special World was awesome.

Yeah, the secret star world was great. And the weird graphical shift was interesting FOR A LITTLE BIT, but what sucks is that once you do that, you can't go back to regular mode. So if I just wanna walk around and replay my favorite levels with the "normal" graphics, I can't do it. I have to start a new save slot and work my way up. I would really like it better if that last thing at the end of the secret worlds was a switch that would turn on/off the screwy graphics so I wouldn't be stuck with it.

what?

I thought you just went back to that button or whatever at the end of Star Road

No, it also severely fucked with the graphics. Like all the enemies are mix-and-match body parts. I think that koopas have, like, Mario heads or something? I dunno, it's weird.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Koopa's wear Mario Masks and Piranha Plants become pumpkins. Other then that it's mostly platette swaps.

I know this because I played it recently.

Pata on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Still the most popular Wii game by far in my experience is Wii Sports. My roommates just discovered it and we've been having a blast.

Most people who play still don't even understand that the Wii plays other games. And baseball is the shit once you learn how to pitch well.

Then they tried to play Gears of War with me and it totally killed the fun time we were having. Not really a casual game I guess.

"What does A do again?" 'Oh, everything.'

Strato on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had exactly the opposite experience. The Wii, Wii Sports specifically, was underwhelming, unsatisfying, just all-around lame. Then we played Gears for hours and it was awesome.

Defender on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    I had exactly the opposite experience. The Wii, Wii Sports specifically, was underwhelming, unsatisfying, just all-around lame. Then we played Gears for hours and it was awesome.

see I had the opposite opposite experience

i played Wii Sports for maybe like 2 hours total and don't like gears of war

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    i bought a wii points card and a classic controller and i don't know why because i don't want any of the VC games

well i mean i do

but i'd rather have the carts

they should put up the hard to find games

not the shit everyone has already

i'll probably return them tomorrow

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gears of War bores me.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had fun with both Gears of War and Wii Sports.

maybe something is wrong with me?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You just have tastes that accept both.

Pata on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    no really something is wrong with him

you are not aloud to like more than one console

internet law

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had fun with both Gears of War and Wii Sports.

maybe something is wrong with me?

Your're not an asshole
    Here that make's you an anomaly

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    aloud
    make's

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    aloud
    allowed

That's not a typo,

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I meant to type one thing but typed another

that's a typo man

Edit: also comma

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, at least I use punctuation.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So how about that Wii?

Edit: I should probably actually make this post about something.

Metal Slug Anthology is pretty fun so far. What I can't figure out, though, is why they included so many different control schemes, but not one that uses the classic controller.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    it's pretty neat

maybe I'll buy a VC game tomorrow (probably not)

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I might

it really depends on what comes out tomorrow

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can't even really think of a game that might come out that I'd buy.

maybe Kirby Super Star, but that probably isn't slated to come out

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So how about that Wii?

Edit: I should probably actually make this post about something.

Metal Slug Anthology is pretty fun so far. What I can't figure out, though, is why they included so many different control schemes, but not one that uses the classic controller.

I think the excuse was that they didn't get the development tools for the Classic at the time they were ready to ship.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I might

Paper Mario came out in europe this week.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    I might

Paper Mario came out in europe this week.

wait did F-Zero come out in June or July?

I can't remember

I know we only get one N64 game a month

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can't even really think of a game that might come out that I'd buy.

maybe Kirby Super Star, but that probably isn't slated to come out

Kirby Super Star
    Kirby's Dream Land 3
    Terranigma (fucking god dammit give me it)
    Earthbound

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    put fucking super metroid in already

I swear I'm like the only person who has never played it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    see that'd be cool

if i didn't have it already

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    well see

I've never owned it

and I've never seen it

also my super nintendo is broken

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never owned a Super Nintendo, N64 or a Gamecube
    So there's a lot available for me on the Wii without new Wii games anytime soon

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    as far as Metroid I've only played Zero Mission and the first Prime

and I only put about ten to twenty minutes into each

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Super Metroid was a great game. I think the best part was the beginning, though. Up to, I guess, the end of the first boss battle. By which I mean Kraid, not the Chozo statue fight.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.