As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liar's [chat]

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Omg Clea DuVall <3

Hello,
    I’m Clea DuVall

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The version of Romeo and Juliet we watched in Year 10 was definitely the one with boobs in it

My youth...

this explains why you're so damaged now

listen I feel like my story about how my parents let me borrow Alien from the video store even though I didn't remember the word "Alien" as a four year old so I just made my hands into a facehugger and put it over my face to express my desire to watch that movie says more about why I am the damaged pile of macadamia-fuelled garbage I am today

also that's Dr Damaged to you

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Animal Farm is also excellent.

The animals are quite content to let Scottish and Welsh animals remain in bondage

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Maybe I need to read it again.

Luxembourg does fries right

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I posit that there's absolutely zero things wrong with not teaching teenagers classic literature.

Keep that for college courses for someone who's interested in it.

Nothing will be lost if we don't have 14 year olds read Romeo and Juliet or Gatsby.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I also apparently said "poor shark" as my initial reaction to seeing Jaws (also around the age of four), which was also likely a worrying sign of things to come

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The version of Romeo and Juliet we watched in Year 10 was definitely the one with boobs in it

My youth...

this explains why you're so damaged now

listen I feel like my story about how my parents let me borrow Alien from the video store even though I didn't remember the word "Alien" as a four year old so I just made my hands into a facehugger and put it over my face to express my desire to watch that movie says more about why I am the damaged pile of macadamia-fuelled garbage I am today

also that's Dr Damaged to you

Dr Damaged sounds like a bond villian

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    5.5 for me. I read half of sherlock, which counts because its short stories.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Maybe I need to read it again.

Luxembourg does fries right

Nip over to Bruges to get some decent fries, will only be a three hour car trip

• Options
    I also apparently said "poor shark" as my initial reaction to seeing Jaws (also around the age of four), which was also likely a worrying sign of things to come

The shark preview before Solo made me sad. He is just trying to be friendly but he doesn't have any hands!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    [*] War And Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    [*] Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    [*] David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    [*] Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    [*] Bleak House - Charles Dickens
    [*] Harry Potter (series) - JK Rowling
    [*] Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James
    [*] The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

• Options
    I really don’t want to be awake

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I posit that there's absolutely zero things wrong with not teaching teenagers classic literature.

Nothing will be lost if we don't have 14 year olds read Romeo and Juliet or Gatsby.

I disagree strongly. Teaching art and literature and culture is important for rounded development.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

That doesn’t look like anything to me

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I posit that exposing kids to classic literature is one of the most valuable things a school can do, even if it's often done badly. Simply letting kids read nothing but what they want will be, for most kids, the intellectual equivalent of letting them choose what they eat for dinner everyday, which, if they had their way, would be crisps and fizzy pop.

Since lots of kids don't go to university not having any classical literature in mandatory education would mean they had no knowledge of it at all. And there are kids that do gain a love of books from school, and at the very least gain some understanding of cultural building blocks that have gone into the world. The moral satire of Dickens is an excellent way into understanding Victorian Britain, for instance.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

I disagree strongly. Teaching art and literature and culture is important for rounded development.

You can teach literature without forcing classic literature. You can use modern works where context makes it easier to teach the concepts of good writing and make it more accessible to a young audience.

I got way more out of Gatsby at 29 than I did at 14 or whatever.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options

Most of them aren't doing the reading to begin with, so, like I said, nothing will be lost.

I'll meet you halfway if we get rid of just Gatsby, how's that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I have read 10.7 of the items on the list, since I've never managed to finish Crime and Punishment. It always made me feel like I was getting a fever.

I really need to get back in the habit of reading.
    1. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
    2. 1984 - George Orwell
    3. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkien
    4. War And Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    5. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    6. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
    7. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    8. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    9. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    10. Pride And Prejudice - Jane Austen
    11. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
    12. Harry Potter (series) - JK Rowling
    13. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    14. The Diary Of Anne Frank - Anne Frank
    15. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
    16. Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James
    17. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
    18. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
    19. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    20. The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I have read numbers 2, 3, 6, 7, 12, 18, and 20.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think War and Peace has garnered enough critical praise over the years to suggest there's more purpose to slogging through it than reading it to seem smart. I mean, it's one of the books on my shelf of unread books, so I haven't got round to it yet, but I will.

I'm surprised Moby Dick isn't on that list.
    Moby Dick, Tom Sawyer, Huck Fin and Treasure Island are required reading, pretty much everywhere.

tom sawyer and huck finn seem like very north american things to me

i mean i've heard of them but they don't have the same cultural appeal here as Moby Dick
    I mean Huck Finn is widely regarded as one of the greatest pieces of US literature.

I mean it's usually Moby Dick, Huck Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Great Gatsby and Grapes of Wrath as the must reads from the US.

Grapes of Wrath by the way, so boring and dry.

• Options

Most of them aren't doing the reading to begin with, so, like I said, nothing will be lost.

Gatsby is excellent, topical, and short

Why get rid of it over, say, Canterbury Tales or The Odyssey?

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I really need to get back in the habit of reading.

As much as it is anything else, reading is a habit.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I think War and Peace has garnered enough critical praise over the years to suggest there's more purpose to slogging through it than reading it to seem smart. I mean, it's one of the books on my shelf of unread books, so I haven't got round to it yet, but I will.

I'm surprised Moby Dick isn't on that list.
    Moby Dick, Tom Sawyer, Huck Fin and Treasure Island are required reading, pretty much everywhere.

tom sawyer and huck finn seem like very north american things to me

i mean i've heard of them but they don't have the same cultural appeal here as Moby Dick
    I mean Huck Finn is widely regarded as one of the greatest pieces of US literature.

I mean it's usually Moby Dick, Huck Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Great Gatsby and Grapes of Wrath as the must reads from the US.

Spoiler alert the guy named JC in the Grapes of Wrath is gasp a Jesus stand-in!

• Options

That’s the Dust Bowl for you

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Topical to what, exactly? The struggles of the upper socialites of the 1920s? You could theoretically work it into a combo lesson plan with The Great Depression but lol @ that ever happening.

• Options
    I had an entire class on lotr in high school, which I dominated because I had read all of the books at least seven times by then.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    High five spool I'm also at 7/20

I think we need to teach literature and it needs to start early, but "the classics" are a burdensome thing and probably not a great idea to get kids interested in reading!

A lot of people I know love reading and books, and their language skills developed enormously because of that. And it wasn't because they read Dostoyevsky when they were 16. It's because they got started reading goofy genre stuff and YA fiction, stuff that's fun and exciting and interesting. Let them do the classics if they're showing a great interest or for extra credit or something.

1984 is a great book that's very interesting but it's kind of old-fashioned and stuffy, for a kid. And that's one of the safest bets to actually get people to read it on that list.

• Options
    I was never given A Wizard of Earthsea as a high school reading so clearly the current system is a sham

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Topical to what, exactly? The struggles of the upper socialites of the 1920s? You could theoretically work it into a combo lesson plan with The Great Depression but lol @ that ever happening.

Man it is 6:30 in the goddamn morning, don’t make me come up with an articulate defense of Gatsby’s exploration of the moral emptiness and ennui of the decadent upper class

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ive actually read dozens of books in the last few years which makes me sound great

almost every one of them had space marines in it which makes me sound less great... ladies... :winky:

• Options
    I haven’t read a book in 4 years

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I posit that exposing kids to classic literature is one of the most valuable things a school can do, even if it's often done badly. Simply letting kids read nothing but what they want will be, for most kids, the intellectual equivalent of letting them choose what they eat for dinner everyday, which, if they had their way, would be crisps and fizzy pop.

Since lots of kids don't go to university not having any classical literature in mandatory education would mean they had no knowledge of it at all. And there are kids that do gain a love of books from school, and at the very least gain some understanding of cultural building blocks that have gone into the world. The moral satire of Dickens is an excellent way into understanding Victorian Britain, for instance.

In that Victorian Britain, like a Dickens novel, is painfully boring and everyone is happy when it's over

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    If 1984 was written today, it'd get stretched out to atleast 5 novel length books, and turned into a young adult film series starring kids with douchebag haircuts

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So people lie all the damn time about everything. Here are the top twenty books people claim to have read but haven't because they're filthy liars.
    1. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
    2. 1984 - George Orwell
    3. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkien
    4. War And Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    5. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    6. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
    7. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    8. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    9. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    10. Pride And Prejudice - Jane Austen
    11. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
    12. Harry Potter (series) - JK Rowling
    13. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    14. The Diary Of Anne Frank - Anne Frank
    15. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
    16. Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James
    17. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
    18. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
    19. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    20. The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

Do you lie about what you've read, you disgusting liar? Probably.

didn't read it
    read it
    read it
    didn't read it
    read part of it
    read it
    read it
    didn't read it
    read it
    didn't read it
    didn't read it
    read it
    read it
    didn't read it
    read it
    didn't read it
    read it
    read it
    read it
    read it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Wait a minute, I may have lied. I'm suddenly very unsure if I've read any of the books by Dickens on the list.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Also Ulysses isn't on the list? Maybe people don't chance their arm on that in case someone listening has read it and poses a question. If you haven't read Oliver Twist you can maybe bluff your way out of the conversation because you know the story. But Ulysses? Hoo boy no you probably can't.
    just make up something about masturbation

chances are they're bluffing too

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Seriously we’re all nerds and 1984 is some cool dystopian shit. Plus it’s so short is basically a pamphlet. Add on the context of the world today? 1984 is awesome.

I’m with Archer on Animal Farm, though.
    IT SUCKS
    A two-leg would think this way

• Options
    I tried to read moby dick on my own, got like ten pages in and gave up because holy shit that is boring. I assume the Victorian shit and the Russian shit is the same.

This discussion has been closed.