As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liar's [chat]

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Oh casual no

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Arch you're just mad because people were talking about how horrid spiders are.

Spiders are bugs, right?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I've also read all 23 of the books on the list in the OP, which you'll note includes the three secret books

Incidentally, I've never told a lie in my entire life

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Atomika wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I posit that there's absolutely zero things wrong with not teaching teenagers classic literature.

Keep that for college courses for someone who's interested in it.

Nothing will be lost if we don't have 14 year olds read Romeo and Juliet or Gatsby.

I disagree strongly. Teaching art and literature and culture is important for rounded development.

Most of them aren't doing the reading to begin with, so, like I said, nothing will be lost.

I'll meet you halfway if we get rid of just Gatsby, how's that?

Gatsby is excellent, topical, and short

Why get rid of it over, say, Canterbury Tales or The Odyssey?

Topical to what, exactly? The struggles of the upper socialites of the 1920s? You could theoretically work it into a combo lesson plan with The Great Depression but lol @ that ever happening.

Man it is 6:30 in the goddamn morning, don’t make me come up with an articulate defense of Gatsby’s exploration of the moral emptiness and ennui of the decadent upper class
    the book would probably have a lot more traction for young people if we weren't afraid to talk about capitalism

Elendil on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wait I'm at 8/20, I read the diary of Anne Frank in elementary school

...wait is that a bit fucked up

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Henry James is awful

fite me

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Bogart wrote: »
    Arch you're just mad because people were talking about how horrid spiders are.

Spiders are bugs, right?

I don't get mad Bogart

I get spiders

And put them in your house

Arch on
  • Options
    Henry James is awful

fite me

Oh my god he’s terrible

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I posit that there's absolutely zero things wrong with not teaching teenagers classic literature.

Nothing will be lost if we don't have 14 year olds read Romeo and Juliet or Gatsby.

I disagree strongly. Teaching art and literature and culture is important for rounded development.

Most of them aren't doing the reading to begin with, so, like I said, nothing will be lost.

Part of the reason we teach the classics and the same history set and the "common core" as it were, is so that everyone has the same basis of information to relate to. Part of our school system is indoctrination. Giving the same basis of knowledge helps with that. Also it allows for us to frame knowledge with specific context, and being able to understand literature reading and critical thinking helps with writing those fucken college papers and essays, because being able to read at a high school graduate level, does not cut the mustard when you get into college.

Honestly I think we should be doing high school and an associates degree as a base set of knowledge, and wait till 3rd year in college or trade schools before we start specializing.

• Options
    Henry James is awful

fite me

daisy miller

yuuuuuuuuuuup

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I've definitely read Great Expectations and The Great Gatsby. The rest I never read in entirety, but remember reading excerpts for various classroom activities.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The main problem is that school makes reading those books tedious and the essay format required is garbage.

• Options
    daisy miller is probably the least interesting and enjoyable thing i have ever read

• Options
    Dickens I’ve read:

- Great Expectations
    - A Christian Carol
    - Oliver Twist

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My Doctor Macadamia.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Dickens I’ve read:

- Great Expectations
    - A Christian Carol
    - Oliver Twist

i remember loving a tale of two cities but i tried re-reading it recently and it is utter dreck

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    my English prof paired up daisy miller with edith wharton's roman fever

wharton kicked miller in the ballsack in the matchup

hard counterpick

• Options
    I think sometimes people think a book is boring when they're just kind of bad at reading books. It's a skill, like any other, that can be practised and deepened and improved. Sure, you probably know how to read by the time you're ten, but reading a book isn't just about reading and understanding the open meaning of a sentence: it's about appreciating the aptness of a simile, recognising symbolism and allegory when it arises, reading widely enough to be able to tell good writers from bad, and why, and seeing how little one writer can put down to evoke an image or how much another can put down to establish the right mood.

The more and more widely your read the better you get at it, until you die, at which point you're still not done because you were probably halfway through a book.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really hated Turn of the Screw

He might have been an important figure in terms of unreliable narration and sort of moving toward modernism, but Henry James is unpleasant to read.

I wonder if I'd feel the same now

• Options
    Henry James is a rich white dude high on his own farts

Fuck everything that guy wrote

• Options
    Also Wuthering Heights bores me to tears

• Options
    That isn't a post about anyone here in particular, or their judgement of any book in particular. But "it's boring" is a thing i know kids say about stuff they just don't want to engage with.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    With the depressing state of copyright law today, teaching children classic literature is a moral imperative, if for nothing else than keeping our shared culture from being wholly owned by cooperations.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That isn't a post about anyone here in particular, or their judgement of any book in particular. But "it's boring" is a thing i know kids say about stuff they just don't want to engage with.

It's hard to judge them for not wanting to engage, because it is definitely boring.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'd definitely have children/teenagers read The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn, and To Kill a Mockingbird for examples of great (and readable) American literature.

I'd also throw in 1984, Pride and Prejudice, and (abridged) The Count of Monte Cristo.

Those are all very readable and entertaining books.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So people lie all the damn time about everything. Here are the top twenty books people claim to have read but haven't because they're filthy liars.
    1. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
    2. 1984 - George Orwell
    3. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkien
    4. War And Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    5. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    6. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
    7. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    8. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    9. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    10. Pride And Prejudice - Jane Austen
    11. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
    12. Harry Potter (series) - JK Rowling
    13. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    14. The Diary Of Anne Frank - Anne Frank
    15. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
    16. Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James
    17. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
    18. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
    19. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    20. The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

Do you lie about what you've read, you disgusting liar? Probably.
    I've read 11 of those!

Oh wait sorry no I've read them all. Of course.

• Options
    Wuthering Heights! That was another one I didn't read in school and went back to and enjoyed years later.

• Options

Wuthering Heights is melodramatic and inane

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Gatsby is excellent, topical, and short

Why get rid of it over, say, Canterbury Tales or The Odyssey?

Topical to what, exactly? The struggles of the upper socialites of the 1920s? You could theoretically work it into a combo lesson plan with The Great Depression but lol @ that ever happening.

Man it is 6:30 in the goddamn morning, don’t make me come up with an articulate defense of Gatsby’s exploration of the moral emptiness and ennui of the decadent upper class

Not really something a 14 year old will comprehend.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Wuthering Heights! That was another one I didn't read in school and went back to and enjoyed years later.

*glaring intensifies*

• Options
    Henry James is a rich white dude high on his own farts

Fuck everything that guy wrote

Oh but he also had that self pitying woe is me I’m not as good as those euro Supermen

• Options
    I think sometimes people think a book is boring when they're just kind of bad at reading books. It's a skill, like any other, that can be practised and deepened and improved. Sure, you probably know how to read by the time you're ten, but reading a book isn't just about reading and understanding the open meaning of a sentence: it's about appreciating the aptness of a simile, recognising symbolism and allegory when it arises, reading widely enough to be able to tell good writers from bad, and why, and seeing how little one writer can put down to evoke an image or how much another can put down to establish the right mood.

The more and more widely your read the better you get at it, until you die, at which point you're still not done because you were probably halfway through a book.

People underestimate the need to learn how to engage with various types of media in general.

• Options

I mean if you wanted to describe [chat] with two words you've done a bang up job.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I generally agree with your point, but now and then I've met someone who tries to tell me something like Finnegan's Wake is the pinnacle of Western literature and I Just need "to get it" so I can finally experience it properly.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

Children should love it then!

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Also Wuthering Heights bores me to tears

I really liked Wuthering Heights when I read it in high school, but I have a strong feeling I wouldn't be able to read it at all now.

Another I would put in that bucket is All The Kings Men.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Count of Monte Cristo has the best readability:oldness ratio of any book I know.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

Counterpoint, a lot of the extant English canon could be replaced with more modern works that touch the same themes without having the albatross of dated English as a gatekeeper for students

Sometimes things are just boring

Like, Moby Dick is a great, important book

It's also stuffed full of chapters that don't matter (an entire chapter on incorrect whale biology??? Woooo) and is written in an old enough dialect to require more work to extract meaning than should reasonably be expected of a high school student

This discussion has been closed.