As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

1181920212224»

Posts

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    I prefer my edging to be organic, tyvm.

  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    My crocuses are blooming. There's a little patch of yellow and purple flowers by the road that people can appreciate if they're not driving too fast (most of 'em are driving too fast).

    I have the first flowers in town, so I win. That's how it works.

    Magic PinkN1tSt4lker3clips3AdelliosmrpakuBrovid HasselsmofEinzelThroCalica
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was excited to find these in our grass two days ago

    7833x92tb1w4.jpg

    It's called Yellow Rattle (Rhianthus minor) and is also known as the meadow maker. It attaches parasitically to grass roots, weakening the grass, which allows more space for wildflowers to grow. If you're trying to convert lawn to meadow it's one of the main things people recommend you introduce.

    I have 2 patches where I'm doing meadow stuff.

    h11vbxg4cn3l.jpg

    One where I stripped the turf completely and sowed a mix of perennial meadow species, plus a mix of cornfield annuals to act as a nursery because the perennials take a couple of years to establish. The other area I just sowed yellow rattle in the grass, with the hope it would weaken the grass a bit and make it easier for the meadow plants to spread when they seed.

    Yellow rattle can apparently be quite tricky to get going from seed, and the meadow mix contained some but none has come up. So I'm really relieved and pleased to find it in the second patch. I hope it does well so it can spread itself.

    SporkAndrewCaptainBeyondMagic PinkDisruptedCapitalistJedocTynnanmrpaku3clips3MayabirdmccartDessertedL Ron HowardSkeith
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Let us say, in theory, one had a cute little chinese elm bonsai. And one had a nice little setup with growlights, frequent watering, and a nice bright window. And a cat. That. Loves. New. Leaves. It's struggle bussed through the winter, and will live outside once it gets a bit warmer, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck making like..an aesthetic cage for a bonsai/plant that would still keep a cat out? I've got foil on all the approaches but I swear unless I just encase it the dummy will find a way to eat it anyway. And encasing it is rather beside the point. I hardly know where to start looking for a decent looking cage by dimensions and cat proofness

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    Is there a type of ,mushroom spore I can buy that the mushrooms will come back periodically throughout the year and every year? I love mushrooms and I had a tree taken out of the front yard so there's tons of wood chips i can put them on

    edit: not to eat by the way just for decoration

    Magic Pink on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Let us say, in theory, one had a cute little chinese elm bonsai. And one had a nice little setup with growlights, frequent watering, and a nice bright window. And a cat. That. Loves. New. Leaves. It's struggle bussed through the winter, and will live outside once it gets a bit warmer, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck making like..an aesthetic cage for a bonsai/plant that would still keep a cat out? I've got foil on all the approaches but I swear unless I just encase it the dummy will find a way to eat it anyway. And encasing it is rather beside the point. I hardly know where to start looking for a decent looking cage by dimensions and cat proofness
    I'm also curious how large the bonsai is (and how large the cat is).

    My first thought is an aquarium/terrarium.
    Easily available in a wide array of sizes, clear sides so you can still see your bonsai and your bonsai can still enjoy the light. But it should be pretty cat proof depending on the lid you get (Look for reptile tank lids, they tend to lock down and be made of mesh to allow for air flow.)

    You might be able to find a heavy bell jar to go over it to protect it from the cat. Something like this, maybe. But I think that may just be giving the cat something to break before enjoying a snack.

    Might look into birdcages as well. Most have removable bottoms for cleaning. Smaller ones for finches or parakeets may work for you. Something like this, maybe? And most are already supposed to prevent a snacking cat.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    QuantumTurk
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yeah I think a jar may be more sealed than I want to deal with, and indeed we do have an aquarium with the top covered in crinkled foil due to the same dumb cat. You can't even hate him, he just placidly pursues whatever he wants in a direct and gormless manner. I'll ponder the bird cages, I'd like to go more decorative but who knows.

  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Yeah I think a jar may be more sealed than I want to deal with, and indeed we do have an aquarium with the top covered in crinkled foil due to the same dumb cat. You can't even hate him, he just placidly pursues whatever he wants in a direct and gormless manner. I'll ponder the bird cages, I'd like to go more decorative but who knows.

    Specifically vintage and/or decorative bird cages, maybe? They aren't safe to keep birds in, but they should still be reasonably cat proof.

    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Are you able to mix up some like...vinegar adn water and put that on the plant where the cat will try and eat it? Might discourage it from eating plants eventually.

    PSN: jfrofl
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    We've got a few sealing clear plastic storage bins that have been used for that. Not exactly pretty though. Same for a loose wire (think dishes drying rack) basket.

  • JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Are you able to mix up some like...vinegar adn water and put that on the plant where the cat will try and eat it? Might discourage it from eating plants eventually.

    I dunno, sounds like you're halfway to a pretty nice salad there.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    friends, don't put cats on your salad

  • JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    Ahem.

    Russian bleu cheese dressing.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    Depressperado
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    friends, don't put cats on your salad

    I'll put cats wherever I want and I'll put whatever I want on my salads MOM

  • JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    j3cexyj8qtv7.png

    Now that I've maneuvered my deadbeat friends into finally accepting their propagated begonias, I can finally start that inside herb garden I was supposed to be doing this time last year until the shit came down.

    Mint, thyme, and basil. If I can get a good pot of chives going I'll be freed from driving to three grocery stores every time I need fresh herbs for a recipe.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    DoodmannmrpakuRadiationJansonL Ron HowardCalicaPeas
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    friends, don't put cats on your salad

    I'll put cats wherever I want and I'll put whatever I want on my salads MOM

    you better believe that's a paddlin'

  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    If you add rosemary to that you'll have all the plants my partner and I are incapable of keeping alive.

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Got a greenhouse

    Got some seeds in the propagator: two kinds of tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers, and three kinds of chillies

    Signs of life from the tomatoes already!

    Radiation3clips3webguy20JedocBrovid HasselsmofN1tSt4lkerCalicaDoodmannMayabird
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a lot of seedlings going now. I also had to throw like 30 of them in the bin last week because I killed them but we don't need to speak of that.

    I am most excited about my melons. 19 of them. I'm growing so many because I assume if I manage to get melons from them they will be tiny. If they turn out to be normal sized and I end up having to eat a hundred full sized melons in two weeks at least I will die happy and sticky.

    JedocRadiationTynnanCalicaMayabird
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I have a bunch of things started and will plant those in the ground next weekend.
    Some of the lettuce doesn't look so great. Not sure what happened there, but I'm a bit sad.
    Also some things I'm going to start in the ground like corn and carrots and such.
    Pretty excited about the potatoes!
    Also bell peppers!
    And cucumbers!

    Oh! We also have a blueberry bush that's a tiny little thing, and it's adorable, but I'm not sure how well it will do between birds and squirrels. So I'm not expecting any fruit, but I'm sure my neighborhood wildlife will be quite pleased.

    PSN: jfrofl
    Mayabird
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have a lot of seedlings going now. I also had to throw like 30 of them in the bin last week because I killed them but we don't need to speak of that.

    I am most excited about my melons. 19 of them. I'm growing so many because I assume if I manage to get melons from them they will be tiny. If they turn out to be normal sized and I end up having to eat a hundred full sized melons in two weeks at least I will die happy and sticky.

    I had this with squashes the other year

    I had no idea what to expect of them, so I ended up with four enormous plants, each of which produced between five and seven squashes, the smallest of which was still 1.5kg

    I actually still have one, which is about eighteen months old at this point

    Brovid Hasselsmof
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I also have quite a lot of squashes. 23 I think. But that's ok because they keep forever, as you say. Also I will probably give some away if they all survive.

    My biggest mistake was having 8 courgette (zucchini) plants in our first year of growing veg. No human can eat courgette quickly enough to keep up with 8 plants.

    DoodmannMayabird
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I also have quite a lot of squashes. 23 I think. But that's ok because they keep forever, as you say. Also I will probably give some away if they all survive.

    My biggest mistake was having 8 courgette (zucchini) plants in our first year of growing veg. No human can eat courgette quickly enough to keep up with 8 plants.

    Certainly not with an attitude like that.

    PSN: jfrofl
    Mayabird
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The thing with veggies is: the year you only plant like 2 plants, they do nothing. The year you make up for it by planting a whole row, ONE SINGULAR PLANT will produce ten plants worth alone and you're now swimming in zuchinni or tomatoes or cucumbers or squash, scrambling to just give it away because you can't eat or preserve any more.

    JedocRadiation3clips3AdelliosMayabird
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    Speaking of tomatoes, I noticed today that my tomato seedlings are now big enough that they smell like tomatoes. I always forget the plants smell like the fruit.

    My precious smelly babies
    g2jor4xdf19q.jpg

    Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Radiation3clips3bowenDisruptedCapitalistAl_watTynnanwebguy20MayabirdRed Raevyn
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Argh! I haven't planted anything what with various distractions.

    On the other hand there is a skip in the garden and it's full with the neighbours' and our detritus and you can actually see most of our garden for the first time in about five years. i think this year getting it finally under control and then next year I grow actual things again.

    Even better - to get the skip in our neighbour did some of our bramble clearance. Which reminds me, I should pop a bottle of wine round as a thank you.

  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Alright, so when I planted those thousand bulbs for a cemetery beautification project I promised there would be pictures. The daffodils are still coming up, but the crocuses are in full bloom.

    First, the snow crocuses/tommies:
    hgkbw1fvoii2.jpg
    yuw6x7iwmuqf.jpg
    xmmpk94haljo.jpg

    I didn't get many because I wasn't too sure if they would grow, and I didn't get a good picture in the sunlight with them open, so wan little purple things it is. But hey, they mostly seem to have sprouted, so I know they're good to use for other projects later. Mostly mass plantings, because they're very cheap in bulk.

    And then a mix of yellow and purple crocuses:
    ykkjilxgsou9.jpg
    va54ib592k9r.jpg
    r3gtf627xt4i.jpg

    Those crocuses I mentioned blooming in March were at where I live, in a warm sunny spot where they could come up first. Also not mulched because I was experimenting. The ones at the house are already done, but I was happy because they bloomed more profusely this year than the last year, so that's promising for this display.

    Last picture here, taken from across the road using a cell phone camera. It's not much since they're little, but it's something.

    y1thh52a469c.jpg


    I'll try to take more pictures once the daffodils are blooming. Hopefully that should be soon.

    webguy20RadiationBrovid HasselsmofIruka
Sign In or Register to comment.