As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I prefer my edging to be organic, tyvm.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    My crocuses are blooming. There's a little patch of yellow and purple flowers by the road that people can appreciate if they're not driving too fast (most of 'em are driving too fast).

I have the first flowers in town, so I win. That's how it works.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was excited to find these in our grass two days ago

7833x92tb1w4.jpg

It's called Yellow Rattle (Rhianthus minor) and is also known as the meadow maker. It attaches parasitically to grass roots, weakening the grass, which allows more space for wildflowers to grow. If you're trying to convert lawn to meadow it's one of the main things people recommend you introduce.

I have 2 patches where I'm doing meadow stuff.

h11vbxg4cn3l.jpg

One where I stripped the turf completely and sowed a mix of perennial meadow species, plus a mix of cornfield annuals to act as a nursery because the perennials take a couple of years to establish. The other area I just sowed yellow rattle in the grass, with the hope it would weaken the grass a bit and make it easier for the meadow plants to spread when they seed.

Yellow rattle can apparently be quite tricky to get going from seed, and the meadow mix contained some but none has come up. So I'm really relieved and pleased to find it in the second patch. I hope it does well so it can spread itself.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Let us say, in theory, one had a cute little chinese elm bonsai. And one had a nice little setup with growlights, frequent watering, and a nice bright window. And a cat. That. Loves. New. Leaves. It's struggle bussed through the winter, and will live outside once it gets a bit warmer, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck making like..an aesthetic cage for a bonsai/plant that would still keep a cat out? I've got foil on all the approaches but I swear unless I just encase it the dummy will find a way to eat it anyway. And encasing it is rather beside the point. I hardly know where to start looking for a decent looking cage by dimensions and cat proofness

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Is there a type of ,mushroom spore I can buy that the mushrooms will come back periodically throughout the year and every year? I love mushrooms and I had a tree taken out of the front yard so there's tons of wood chips i can put them on

edit: not to eat by the way just for decoration

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Let us say, in theory, one had a cute little chinese elm bonsai. And one had a nice little setup with growlights, frequent watering, and a nice bright window. And a cat. That. Loves. New. Leaves. It's struggle bussed through the winter, and will live outside once it gets a bit warmer, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck making like..an aesthetic cage for a bonsai/plant that would still keep a cat out? I've got foil on all the approaches but I swear unless I just encase it the dummy will find a way to eat it anyway. And encasing it is rather beside the point. I hardly know where to start looking for a decent looking cage by dimensions and cat proofness
    I'm also curious how large the bonsai is (and how large the cat is).

My first thought is an aquarium/terrarium.
    Easily available in a wide array of sizes, clear sides so you can still see your bonsai and your bonsai can still enjoy the light. But it should be pretty cat proof depending on the lid you get (Look for reptile tank lids, they tend to lock down and be made of mesh to allow for air flow.)

You might be able to find a heavy bell jar to go over it to protect it from the cat. Something like this, maybe. But I think that may just be giving the cat something to break before enjoying a snack.

Might look into birdcages as well. Most have removable bottoms for cleaning. Smaller ones for finches or parakeets may work for you. Something like this, maybe? And most are already supposed to prevent a snacking cat.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yeah I think a jar may be more sealed than I want to deal with, and indeed we do have an aquarium with the top covered in crinkled foil due to the same dumb cat. You can't even hate him, he just placidly pursues whatever he wants in a direct and gormless manner. I'll ponder the bird cages, I'd like to go more decorative but who knows.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Yeah I think a jar may be more sealed than I want to deal with, and indeed we do have an aquarium with the top covered in crinkled foil due to the same dumb cat. You can't even hate him, he just placidly pursues whatever he wants in a direct and gormless manner. I'll ponder the bird cages, I'd like to go more decorative but who knows.

Specifically vintage and/or decorative bird cages, maybe? They aren't safe to keep birds in, but they should still be reasonably cat proof.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Are you able to mix up some like...vinegar adn water and put that on the plant where the cat will try and eat it? Might discourage it from eating plants eventually.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    We've got a few sealing clear plastic storage bins that have been used for that. Not exactly pretty though. Same for a loose wire (think dishes drying rack) basket.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Are you able to mix up some like...vinegar adn water and put that on the plant where the cat will try and eat it? Might discourage it from eating plants eventually.

I dunno, sounds like you're halfway to a pretty nice salad there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    friends, don't put cats on your salad

• Options
    Ahem.

Russian bleu cheese dressing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'll put cats wherever I want and I'll put whatever I want on my salads MOM

• Options
    j3cexyj8qtv7.png

Now that I've maneuvered my deadbeat friends into finally accepting their propagated begonias, I can finally start that inside herb garden I was supposed to be doing this time last year until the shit came down.

Mint, thyme, and basil. If I can get a good pot of chives going I'll be freed from driving to three grocery stores every time I need fresh herbs for a recipe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'll put cats wherever I want and I'll put whatever I want on my salads MOM

you better believe that's a paddlin'

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    If you add rosemary to that you'll have all the plants my partner and I are incapable of keeping alive.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Got a greenhouse

Got some seeds in the propagator: two kinds of tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers, and three kinds of chillies

Signs of life from the tomatoes already!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a lot of seedlings going now. I also had to throw like 30 of them in the bin last week because I killed them but we don't need to speak of that.

I am most excited about my melons. 19 of them. I'm growing so many because I assume if I manage to get melons from them they will be tiny. If they turn out to be normal sized and I end up having to eat a hundred full sized melons in two weeks at least I will die happy and sticky.

• Options
    I have a bunch of things started and will plant those in the ground next weekend.
    Some of the lettuce doesn't look so great. Not sure what happened there, but I'm a bit sad.
    Also some things I'm going to start in the ground like corn and carrots and such.
    Pretty excited about the potatoes!
    Also bell peppers!
    And cucumbers!

Oh! We also have a blueberry bush that's a tiny little thing, and it's adorable, but I'm not sure how well it will do between birds and squirrels. So I'm not expecting any fruit, but I'm sure my neighborhood wildlife will be quite pleased.

• Options
    I have a lot of seedlings going now. I also had to throw like 30 of them in the bin last week because I killed them but we don't need to speak of that.

I am most excited about my melons. 19 of them. I'm growing so many because I assume if I manage to get melons from them they will be tiny. If they turn out to be normal sized and I end up having to eat a hundred full sized melons in two weeks at least I will die happy and sticky.

I had this with squashes the other year

I had no idea what to expect of them, so I ended up with four enormous plants, each of which produced between five and seven squashes, the smallest of which was still 1.5kg

I actually still have one, which is about eighteen months old at this point

• Options
    I also have quite a lot of squashes. 23 I think. But that's ok because they keep forever, as you say. Also I will probably give some away if they all survive.

My biggest mistake was having 8 courgette (zucchini) plants in our first year of growing veg. No human can eat courgette quickly enough to keep up with 8 plants.

• Options
    I also have quite a lot of squashes. 23 I think. But that's ok because they keep forever, as you say. Also I will probably give some away if they all survive.

My biggest mistake was having 8 courgette (zucchini) plants in our first year of growing veg. No human can eat courgette quickly enough to keep up with 8 plants.

Certainly not with an attitude like that.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The thing with veggies is: the year you only plant like 2 plants, they do nothing. The year you make up for it by planting a whole row, ONE SINGULAR PLANT will produce ten plants worth alone and you're now swimming in zuchinni or tomatoes or cucumbers or squash, scrambling to just give it away because you can't eat or preserve any more.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Speaking of tomatoes, I noticed today that my tomato seedlings are now big enough that they smell like tomatoes. I always forget the plants smell like the fruit.

My precious smelly babies
    g2jor4xdf19q.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Argh! I haven't planted anything what with various distractions.

On the other hand there is a skip in the garden and it's full with the neighbours' and our detritus and you can actually see most of our garden for the first time in about five years. i think this year getting it finally under control and then next year I grow actual things again.

Even better - to get the skip in our neighbour did some of our bramble clearance. Which reminds me, I should pop a bottle of wine round as a thank you.

• Options
    Alright, so when I planted those thousand bulbs for a cemetery beautification project I promised there would be pictures. The daffodils are still coming up, but the crocuses are in full bloom.

First, the snow crocuses/tommies:
    hgkbw1fvoii2.jpg
    yuw6x7iwmuqf.jpg
    xmmpk94haljo.jpg

I didn't get many because I wasn't too sure if they would grow, and I didn't get a good picture in the sunlight with them open, so wan little purple things it is. But hey, they mostly seem to have sprouted, so I know they're good to use for other projects later. Mostly mass plantings, because they're very cheap in bulk.

And then a mix of yellow and purple crocuses:
    ykkjilxgsou9.jpg
    va54ib592k9r.jpg
    r3gtf627xt4i.jpg

Those crocuses I mentioned blooming in March were at where I live, in a warm sunny spot where they could come up first. Also not mulched because I was experimenting. The ones at the house are already done, but I was happy because they bloomed more profusely this year than the last year, so that's promising for this display.

Last picture here, taken from across the road using a cell phone camera. It's not much since they're little, but it's something.

y1thh52a469c.jpg

I'll try to take more pictures once the daffodils are blooming. Hopefully that should be soon.

• Options
    Frost forecast tonight

Need to get my seedlings out of the greenhouse and indoors

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I have had tremendous bad luck with seedlings this year.

Last year all my seedlings grew into little plants

This year my first set did absolutely nothing.

My 2nd set sprouted maybe 1/4 of them and then died.

Plants, pls. I just want to grow you!

• Options
    Today I put some nettle tea (the fertiliser, not the actual drink) on to brew. We have so many nettles, but at least we can make use of them.

Spent the rest of the day working on my new compost heap. Have relocated it from where I first built it and am in the process of moving the contents, but doing it right this time, layering stuff in the right proportions etc. Actually making compost instead of just using it as a dump for stuff we need to get rid of.

I kind of love it. It's like making a big filthy cake.

• Options
    @Mayabird where are you? Our daffodils and crocuses have come and gone already. I'm wondering if you're much further north.

• Options
    I do live quite far north. At this very moment while I type, it is snowing here. (There was also thunder a half hour ago because why not?)

Hence me wanting to do a big bulb display. After the long winter we need that big bold early color. Also crocuses and daffodils don't mind the snow (especially not crocuses).

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    The thing with veggies is: the year you only plant like 2 plants, they do nothing. The year you make up for it by planting a whole row, ONE SINGULAR PLANT will produce ten plants worth alone and you're now swimming in zuchinni or tomatoes or cucumbers or squash, scrambling to just give it away because you can't eat or preserve any more.

That might not just be hilarious coincidence, that might be better cross-pollination?
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I have had tremendous bad luck with seedlings this year.

Last year all my seedlings grew into little plants

This year my first set did absolutely nothing.

My 2nd set sprouted maybe 1/4 of them and then died.

Plants, pls. I just want to grow you!

I should have used a heat matt or something because I def lost several seedlings to being to cold/damp/fungussy sprouting them in the basement with just grow lights.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Frost forecast tonight

Need to get my seedlings out of the greenhouse and indoors

In a fit of confidence, today I moved my tomato seedlings out of the indoor propagator into the greenhouse

We'll see how they do overnight

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Thinking about growing my own mushrooms. I have become obsessed with DIY msg powder and the main ingredient is mushrooms. Unfortunately mushrooms ain’t cheap here and relying on foraging is too unreliable.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I know a great way you can grow mushrooms, but you need a disposable, empty washing machine.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I know a great way you can grow mushrooms, but you need a disposable, empty washing machine.

Sure, in a perfect world you'd be able to find those just about anywhere. But where would a person go about finding a disposable empty washing machine around here?

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Thinking about growing my own mushrooms. I have become obsessed with DIY msg powder and the main ingredient is mushrooms. Unfortunately mushrooms ain’t cheap here and relying on foraging is too unreliable.

There's a co-op that did mushroom plantings(?) a bit ago my buddy went to. You might be able to see if something like that exists around you to befriend the people and see if they'd pass off some spores.

• Options
    Tef this is the PLANT thread what are you doing in here with your FUNGI talk

• Options
    Mass bulb planting update: I was woozy from my second shot but the sun was out so I got a few pictures.
    9wd456jo30en.jpg

gd8fggp47d9g.jpg

i5fie0sa24sg.jpg

I had only gotten a few hyacinths because I wasn't sure how they were going to do. Turns out, they are doing great! I'm not sure why the daffodils planted with them in that section decided not to bloom though - I was hoping for that bold yellow and blue effect.

ic0n4l4zzjef.jpg

Next two sections up - lots of blooms. The grass-looking things are the crocus leaves - just as they finished, the daffodils are blooming. The timing was great.

rrk5rlr8lk16.jpg

It's not at its peak yet but with my crazy upcoming schedule, I couldn't be sure I'd be able to get out there on a day with sunshine. If I get more at the peak though I'll see about posting more.

Also the beds aren't done yet - I've been trying to convince another wholesaler to send me plants in bulk. I think they might think I am a crazy person. They might be right.