As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Sort-of US foreign policy, in the most stupid kind of way?

So A$AP Rocky, some artist, was in Sweden. After a concert he was followed by some men, there was a fight, he's detained on suspicion of assault, and ditto for one of the other men who assaulted his bodyguard.

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian got Trump on the phone and/or tweet, and Trump promised to speak to the "very talented" Swedish PM, to discuss getting Rocky releaseed on bail or something. Trump claims this conversation happened, and offered to cover the bail.

Had to be a pretty short one, because our constitution separates government from the court system, and it would be unconstitutional for a minister to get involved in a legal case. Also, there's no concept of bail in the Swedish legal system. A$AP Rocky is kept detained pending investigation because he's deemed a flight risk that will GTFO and never come back if released.

Welcome to European bureaucracy. You don't buy your way out with money or publicity over here.

There's also an American ex-ambassador to Sweden getting involved and making rather ignorant statements along the same lines. You'd expect a former ambassador to a country to be somewhat aware of how that country works, but here we are.

edit: the ambassador was an Obama appointee, for the record.

Justin Bieber tweeted at trump about this and also said what about those kids in cages.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Sort-of US foreign policy, in the most stupid kind of way?

So A$AP Rocky, some artist, was in Sweden. After a concert he was followed by some men, there was a fight, he's detained on suspicion of assault, and ditto for one of the other men who assaulted his bodyguard.

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian got Trump on the phone and/or tweet, and Trump promised to speak to the "very talented" Swedish PM, to discuss getting Rocky releaseed on bail or something. Trump claims this conversation happened, and offered to cover the bail.

Had to be a pretty short one, because our constitution separates government from the court system, and it would be unconstitutional for a minister to get involved in a legal case. Also, there's no concept of bail in the Swedish legal system. A$AP Rocky is kept detained pending investigation because he's deemed a flight risk that will GTFO and never come back if released.

Welcome to European bureaucracy. You don't buy your way out with money or publicity over here.

There's also an American ex-ambassador to Sweden getting involved and making rather ignorant statements along the same lines. You'd expect a former ambassador to a country to be somewhat aware of how that country works, but here we are.

edit: the ambassador was an Obama appointee, for the record.
    This is like the plot of a South Park episode. WTH, 2019. :rotate:

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear I recall there was a white person with a similar fight incident and he was allowed to leave.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    I swear I recall there was a white person with a similar fight incident and he was allowed to leave.

My understanding of the situation is that the other guy plead guilty and paid his fine. A$AP claims innocence.

reVerse on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    reVerse wrote: »

My understanding of the situation is that the other guy plead guilty and paid his fine. A$AP claims innocence.

A$AP hasnt been charged yet. G Easy had a deal in 48 hours(on more(?) serious charges)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

A$AP hasnt been charged yet. G Easy had a deal in 48 hours(on more(?) serious charges)

I'm not an expert of Swedish law, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing as "deals" in Swedish courts. What happened with the other guy is that he did drugs and attacked a security guard, and when he was arrested he admitted to doing it. So, they put him in court, gave him his sentence, he paid the fine, and was free to go.

A$AP claims innocence, so they're investigating the situation. He's held in captivity because he's a flight risk (Swedish supreme court, or their equivalent of it, has at some point decided that all foreign citizens are inherently a flight risk). As for not being charged yet, he is being "suspected of crimes", which in the Swedish system seems to be when there's enough to arrest you, but official charges have not yet been raised.

To further add to the situation, it's Summer vacation season so there's some understaffing going on, which is the main reason why A$AP's stay in jail has been extended by a week or two.

Again, not an expert of Swedish law, this is just my rough understanding of the situation based on what I've read about it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If all you've got to post is a meme don't bother.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Rocky is probably guilty in a technical sense given how limited you are in what you can do to defend yourself here. Even if the other dudes harassed or even threw the first punch. It might be difficult to square with your world view to consider yourself guilty in that case.

There’s nothing US ambassadors or even Trump can do to get involved in the process though like Echo said. Unfortunately I wouldn’t expect Swedish law to be handling this totally unbiased either. There’s a hard on for “oh you think you can come here and do x because you’re a big deal”. Snoop gets stopped and searched and made to piss whenever he visits on the basis that being Snoop is probably cause.

Nobody will come out looking good when this is over.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I'm not an expert of Swedish law, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing as "deals" in Swedish courts. What happened with the other guy is that he did drugs and attacked a security guard, and when he was arrested he admitted to doing it. So, they put him in court, gave him his sentence, he paid the fine, and was free to go.

A$AP claims innocence, so they're investigating the situation. He's held in captivity because he's a flight risk (Swedish supreme court, or their equivalent of it, has at some point decided that all foreign citizens are inherently a flight risk). As for not being charged yet, he is being "suspected of crimes", which in the Swedish system seems to be when there's enough to arrest you, but official charges have not yet been raised.

To further add to the situation, it's Summer vacation season so there's some understaffing going on, which is the main reason why A$AP's stay in jail has been extended by a week or two.

Again, not an expert of Swedish law, this is just my rough understanding of the situation based on what I've read about it.

The other guy did illegal drugs and assaulted someone.

ASAP rockey got in a fight with people who followed him and his bodyguard out of a bar, down the street, and threw the first punch. ASAP and his bodyguard tried to de-escalate as this was happening.

It looks a lot like there was some difference between the two defendents with regards to how the legal system is treating them

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Europeans likes to arrest american rappers on spurious charges. Freddie Gibbs was arrested in France in 2016 for raping someone in Austria in 2015 then acquitted of all charges 3 months later.

I'm skeptical A$AP is guilty, but it's the Kanye+Kim calling the president that just makes me want to hang my head

• Options

The other guy did illegal drugs and assaulted someone.

ASAP rockey got in a fight with people who followed him and his bodyguard out of a bar, down the street, and threw the first punch. ASAP and his bodyguard tried to de-escalate as this was happening.

It looks a lot like there was some difference between the two defendents with regards to how the legal system is treating them

The difference being that the other guy admitted he was guilty, whereas A$AP claims innocence.

Also, who escalated what and who threw the first punch are the kind of things that are taken into consideration during sentencing, not before a trial. Right now all they've got is a bunch of people who committed assault on each other in jail while the police and/or the prosecutor investigates what happened and what kind of charges are appropriate.

Also whether or not A$AP Rocky is guilty, there's literally video footage of the fight.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Europeans likes to arrest american rappers on spurious charges. Freddie Gibbs was arrested in France in 2016 for raping someone in Austria in 2015 then acquitted of all charges 3 months later.

I'm skeptical A$AP is guilty, but it's the Kanye+Kim calling the president that just makes me want to hang my head

If you have the option to run in a straight line away you can’t punch back is the thing. So he’s probably guilty in the sense that it’s something he’ll probably end up convicted for. That’s how it is.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

If you have the option to run in a straight line away you can’t punch back is the thing. So he’s probably guilty in the sense that it’s something he’ll probably end up convicted for. That’s how it is.

Yeah, the American version of "self defense" is not universal. And "stand your ground" is not even close to normal.

In Australia, for example, even if you're in your own home, and you're legally permitted to own a firearm, it's an offense to use it.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The notion that you can be convicted of "self-defense" is kind of mind boggling to me. And that's probably an american-centric view, but like, that make no sense

• Options
    The notion that you can be convicted of "self-defense" is kind of mind boggling to me. And that's probably an american-centric view, but like, that make no sense

In Scandinavian countries, the idea behind self-defense is that you are allowed to defend yourself from immediate harm, but after that you're supposed to remove yourself from the situation. Escape, as opposed to stay and fight.

• Options
    You can do as much violence as the situation calls for in order to defend yourself, which unless you are surrounded by walls on all sides is often zero.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Well, it's to avoid things like the Treyvon Martin killing where it is strongly suspected that "self-defense" was an excuse for murder.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    EDIT: Stand your ground laws aren't on-topic.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    MorganV wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Yeah, the American version of "self defense" is not universal. And "stand your ground" is not even close to normal.

In Australia, for example, even if you're in your own home, and you're legally permitted to own a firearm, it's an offense to use it.

?
    Pretty sure we're allowed to use proportional violence, so if you have a gun and have reason to believe the attacker is using or is about to use a gun, then it's legal to retaliate.

discrider on
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    We are allowed to use proportional violence, the statement that we can't use firearms to defend ourselves is incorrect. You can't purchase a firearm with the intent of only self defence, though.

On topic - good on the Swedish for not bowing to the pressure on this; it's good to see that they don't just buckle under at the first hint of pressure. It's not like Trump will remember this for more than a month, anyway.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    We are allowed to use proportional violence, the statement that we can't use firearms to defend ourselves is incorrect. You can't purchase a firearm with the intent of only self defence, though.

On topic - good on the Swedish for not bowing to the pressure on this; it's good to see that they don't just buckle under at the first hint of pressure. It's not like Trump will remember this for more than a month hour, anyway.

Fixed that for you. Trump only gave a shit as long as he had to. Which I think was two minutes. Maybe less.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This seems like breaking news, but I'm not hearing much about it. Iran says it has arrested 17 spies working for CIA, some could face death penalty
    Iranian intelligence authorities said Monday they had arrested 17 spies hired by the U.S. government's Central Intelligence Agency.

“All 17 spies are Iranian nationals,” the director of the counter-espionage of the Islamic Republic intelligence ministry said at a press conference. The name of the director was not disclosed.

Those arrested worked as staff at sensitive centers in the country, including “economic, nuclear, infrastructural, military and cyber fields or their counterpart private sector," according to the Iranian intelligence press release.

Some of the spies who declined to cooperate with the Islamic Republic intelligence after their arrest have been sent to the judiciary and their cases are being processed. Their sentences will be either execution or a long imprisonment, the intelligence director said.

This doesn't seem good at all, especially with the drone getting shot down stuff from earlier.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    What the over/under on how long till we find out that the spies were uncovered due to Trump admin incompetence? I say less than a week.

It wouldn’t be the first time they burned spies.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    What the over/under on how long till we find out that the spies were uncovered due to Trump admin incompetence? I say less than a week.

Well it's Iran, so even money that the "spies" were just people who did something they didn't like.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Well it's Iran, so even money that the "spies" were just people who did something they didn't like.

It could just as easily be people that trump didn't like.

Man I hate that we've reached a point where that's a real possibility.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (d) all of the above

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    It's just as likely they are politically inconvenient Iranian nationals as they are actual recruited sources and agents. It's also possible that the charges are completely fabricated or exaggerated.

It's a common accusation they use against both Iranian nationals and foreign nationals who are inconvenient like environmental activists, journalists etc.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    From what I've read Trump has categorically denied that the event even took place, which bodes ill for those involved.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    having trouble posting links, but the guardian has Mike Pompeo basically saying, "it's up to the U.K. to deal with Iran. Guess first official real moment of our abrogating our role in Bretton Woods.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Between the 2000 mile out USS Abraham Lincoln force (2-3 day response time, maybe less?) and the newly arrived USS Boxer force the US military has over 10,000 personnel operating in the region and is projecting a ton of force.

Even if public statements are saying that we aren't prepared to get involved over this particular incident, we just had a large fleet show up and immediately down a drone. It looks like the US is prepared to escalate far beyond what Iran is able to respond to.

Tumin on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

In this video the President threatens to nuke Afghanistan.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But he doesn't want to, yet, so don't worry.

IS HE NOT MERCIFUL?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

In this video the President threatens to nuke Afghanistan.

Well, he says could 'wipe it off the face the Earth' in 10 days if he wanted to "win" that war; which is damning our nuclear arsenal with low praise if that was his meaning.

I think the more relevant take away is that he doesn't understand any of the goals that would need be met to call Afghanistan a "win".

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

Brown people live there

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

Fail to win itself without us being willing to put in the effort and face the consequences of actually conquering and pacifying all of it?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

He doesn't realize we're not actually at war with the nation.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There is a reason the war on terror is referred to as a labyrinth. As who knows how to get out of it and navigate the plan?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

He doesn't realize we're not actually at war with the nation.

I believe he's meeting with the head of Pakistan today who was demanding some kind of response to the amount of lives and money pakistan has lost in aiding the US in afganistan.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.