As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    oh, I dropped difficulty in the hopes that I"d be solo for the challenges. Was particularly aiming for the no-kill ones. but apparently there are also arenas I've never touched so really need to do it all.

Might... need some help... at this rate...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

lol apparently JARRA'S WRATH is fucking busted and I'm so mad because I don't even have a JARRA'S WRATH yet

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I've had at least 4 out of the boxes.

It's broken because it fires pretty much as fast as you can click.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lol that guy had a very specific mission huh

yes...screw everybody else over.

There are challenges for finishing cataclysm fast. Doing it on easy is the best way.

So basically he was doing exactly what you were, and waiting for you to no kill an arena would have screwed him over worse because he wasted more time failing what he wanted to do.
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Are the crystal rewards the same for all difficulty levels?

No. Your score is multiplied by a difficulty modifier at the end.

Easy: 1x
    Normal: 1.5x
    Hard: 2.25x
    GM1: 3.3x
    GM2: 5x
    GM3: 7.6x

This is why people tend to do the oddball achievements or test ideas on easy if they don't have a full group. It costs any randoms they drop with a lot less crystals if they either rush stuff or leave to try to drop on their own again.

Normal is sometimes used if it's too busy to get your own easy instance. No one I know ever does it on hard because that's fucking with lvl <30 peoples best opportunity for crystals.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Lol that guy had a very specific mission huh

yes...screw everybody else over.

There are challenges for finishing cataclysm fast. Doing it on easy is the best way.

So basically he was doing exactly what you were, and waiting for you to no kill an arena would have screwed him over worse because he wasted more time failing what he wanted to do.
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Are the crystal rewards the same for all difficulty levels?

No. Your score is multiplied by a difficulty modifier at the end.

Easy: 1x
    Normal: 1.5x
    Hard: 2.25x
    GM1: 3.3x
    GM2: 5x
    GM3: 7.6x

This is why people tend to do the oddball achievements or test ideas on easy if they don't have a full group. It costs any randoms they drop with a lot less crystals if they either rush stuff or leave to try to drop on their own again.

Normal is sometimes used if it's too busy to get your own easy instance. No one I know ever does it on hard because that's fucking with lvl <30 peoples best opportunity for crystals.

Except that once someone killed a guy I immediately stopped trying to no-kill the arena and played the normal way with the sub 30 players on the map. So no, he was not doing exactly what I was.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    So for the no-kill challenges how do you ensure that nobody comes along to ruin them since you can't private cataclysms?

edit: so I dropped down to easy and the first one I get into some asshat with grabbit ears rushes Vara and clears the stupid cataclysm while we're still at the start. >\

I have been that guy with grabbit ears. I needed the Speed Challenge, went into easy, straight for boss and deleted him instantly. The challenge says complete it under 20 minutes, but I've done it in 10 and got nothing, so I needed to do that instakills once to get the challenge complete.

I did the no-kill challenges yesterday on Easy as well, but I heard the best difficulty to do them on is normal since you don't run into what you did on easy. I'd suggest to go straight from spawn to some of the later events since it's likely any teammates will probably just be doing the normal order and give you time to solo it.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So for the no-kill challenges how do you ensure that nobody comes along to ruin them since you can't private cataclysms?

edit: so I dropped down to easy and the first one I get into some asshat with grabbit ears rushes Vara and clears the stupid cataclysm while we're still at the start. >\

I have been that guy with grabbit ears. I needed the Speed Challenge, went into easy, straight for boss and deleted him instantly. The challenge says complete it under 20 minutes, but I've done it in 10 and got nothing, so I needed to do that instakills once to get the challenge complete.

I did the no-kill challenges yesterday on Easy as well, but I heard the best difficulty to do them on is normal since you don't run into what you did on easy. I'd suggest to go straight from spawn to some of the later events since it's likely any teammates will probably just be doing the normal order and give you time to solo it.

Yeah, the challenge may be bugged, because when he did it I saw the notification banner for the challenge but it didn't tick off.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Finally got a legendary of each new item. Saved the worst for last with tesilar trap.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Got the ears, and the crystal armors for all the suits. maybe going to farm up the wraps? IDK.

• Options
    If it's a choice between the wraps and other stuff, I'd say only pick up the ones you like. The crystal armors are much better as a "look at this cool cosmetic thing I got from playing the cataclysm".

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I really, really like only some of the vinyls and armors. Some of them are pretty ugly, and almost all of them I have to struggle to design my javelins around because they all have a really, really specific colour palette that demands another specific colour palette to match properly

• Options
    I got all of the cataclysm cosmetics but for the regular ones I'm sitting on well over 600k coins. Only really buy materials. Not a fan of the larger graphics. Mostly play interceptor so I don't really buy armour sets.

Inty armour has two main problems for me. 1) The default armour looks so damn good already. 2) Most sets that otherwise look nice have helmets I don't like and don't go well with the helmets I already have.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I got all of the cataclysm cosmetics but for the regular ones I'm sitting on well over 600k coins. Only really buy materials. Not a fan of the arger graphics. Mostly play interceptor so I don't really buy armour sets.

Inty armour has two main problems for me. 1) The default armour looks so damn good already. 2) Most sets that otherwise look nice have helmets I don't like and don't go well with the helmets I already have.

YES
    Almost every Interceptor set bulks up the silhouette and almost every Interceptor helmet is fuckin ugly as sin

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I want the red looking wrap? I forgot the name, and I like the graphic decals too. I got the bulky shoulders on my Interceptor, I'll have to do a screencap later of its current look.

I haven't changed my Storm's appearance since Groot wrap.

but mostly just want them in the event that I decide to mix it up.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    OK did a few Cataclysm runs last night with a couple of friends who had done it many times.

HOW THE HELL WAS ANYONE SUPPOSED TO FIGURE OUT ANY OF THESE PUZZZLES WITH A TIME LIMIT?

Or was that part of the.... the fun of discovery?

I came back to Anthem this weekend after shelving it for a few months and am really glad I did. Really enjoying the new event and the new weapons have been really fun to play with. I hope they take some lessons from how crystals are used and integrate it into the normal economy once Cataclysm ends (e.g. maybe purchasing chests with embers since I'm not sure many people are crafting that much?)

My only real gripe is echoing the above. I know the puzzles aren't super complicated but I wish they'd steer clear from puzzles entirely. I spent the first couple of runs feeling paralyzed- I wanted to help but didn't know how to and I definitely didn't want to start randomly doing things because in a couple of these puzzles that'll just make things worse and cause my teammates to think I'm trolling them. I eventually went on youtube and watched some videos on how to solve them, but I wouldn't say making your players do homework is a great design choice.

• Options
    I'm really more interested/concerned about what happens after Cataclysm, given the whiplash from the last limited time thing they put in and all.

• Options
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    but I wouldn't say making your players do homework is a great design choice.

It's making people who didn't learn it the same time everyone else did, over the last month, do a bit of homework to catch up straight away. I'm ok with that and would much prefer it to simplifying everything down to the point that there is nothing to learn.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I imagine the design intent was to have people work together to figure out the intentions of the puzzles and trial-and-error even if the clock runs out, and to learn from later runs, but I think the psychology of that ends up being that players who don't know how to solve it feel frustrated that they're letting down the team and turning the run into an "incomplete" one.

Because the game doesn't necessarily punish you for not finishing all Cataclysm objectives, it just gives you the rewards that you got for finishing the objectives you did do - but knowing that the run was suboptimal in a mode geared towards friendly leaderboard competition will still make players feel kinda shitty

• Options
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    but I wouldn't say making your players do homework is a great design choice.

It's making people who didn't learn it the same time everyone else did, over the last month, do a bit of homework to catch up straight away. I'm ok with that and would much prefer it to simplifying everything down to the point that there is nothing to learn.

I think even if I were there on day one and learning by trial and error I'd still be worried my teammates had already figured it out and I was hindering their progress. It's not the end of the world but like you said I think making things a little more straight forward would be better.

• Options
    You already have the entire rest of the game for that. All of it. Literally every other thing.

Let me have my one game mode that requires a level of thought and practice I find engaging, and rewards more than just having gotten better loot.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Cataclysm has brought me back for a few rounds, and I've enjoyed what I've seen. Haven't put the time into YouTubing all of the answers, but some are fairly straightforward, others I just stand on pressure plates/kill enemies while people who know what they're doing take care of things.

However, it is a little frustrating to have the puzzles allow for people to be actively counter-productive. To whit, I'm on a run last night and we get to the castle area with the pedestals that need orbs put on them. Fair enough, I start placing them, this one I actually know how to do... and the other guy who is there keeps picking them up and putting them elsewhere. Again and again. I get up to 2/4 done, and as I work on the third he's already screwed with my efforts. This went on for a couple of minutes. Eventually I just gave up and decided that shooting him/throwing flares was a more valuable use of my time. When the other people in the run showed up, it finally got done. I have no idea if he was in a larger party and thought it important to make me wait for the others to show up to progress, but it was obnoxious.

I get that a bunch of the puzzles allow for adding and taking things to shuffle them around for very good reasons, but that one would be much better if picking the correct choice locked the item down and it could not be moved any further. Especially since every team I've been on gets there fairly late in the adventure, so you can be tearing through the content at a really good clip and then get held up hard because one guy just doesn't understand what the hell they're doing (or is actively being an asshole).

Meh. I've watched one rundown of all the puzzles already, if nothing else I should make a point of finding a list for the achievements I haven't yet ticked over. Like, a small handful of locations and whatnot will give me a nice pile of assorted stuff, and even if I don't use them, I do like having the event based decals/graphics/etc.

I've liked that the loot has been pretty easy to catch up on. Even with just a handful of runs, I've already got the two materials, all 4 of the entry animations, one of the armor sets, and 3 of 4 Javelins equipped with a MW tier melee weapon.

From what people have been saying, I'm guessing it's not possible to load up the Cataclysm in private mode without forming a full group? Because blowing through a lower tier version for the no-kill achievements would be nice, but also means if anyone sneezes too hard it's a failure.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    The Cataclysm has brought me back for a few rounds, and I've enjoyed what I've seen. Haven't put the time into YouTubing all of the answers, but some are fairly straightforward, others I just stand on pressure plates/kill enemies while people who know what they're doing take care of things.

However, it is a little frustrating to have the puzzles allow for people to be actively counter-productive. To whit, I'm on a run last night and we get to the castle area with the pedestals that need orbs put on them. Fair enough, I start placing them, this one I actually know how to do... and the other guy who is there keeps picking them up and putting them elsewhere. Again and again. I get up to 2/4 done, and as I work on the third he's already screwed with my efforts. This went on for a couple of minutes. Eventually I just gave up and decided that shooting him/throwing flares was a more valuable use of my time. When the other people in the run showed up, it finally got done. I have no idea if he was in a larger party and thought it important to make me wait for the others to show up to progress, but it was obnoxious.

I'm pretty sure I was accidentally that guy on my first day back. Didn't immediately realize you had to first unlock two of the orbs before moving on to the main puzzle. So I was probably moving orbs from the pedestals that lowered the barrier and placing them on the pedestals that made the little number at the top right go up to the annoyance of my teammates.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I give up. I like the event and the seasonal store is awesome. But after taking a couple day break, jumping back in and not finding a single game to play at easy, normal, or hard, I'm not sure what's the point. I waste so much time just trying to find a game, let alone one with competent folks, it's super frustrating.

I'm glad folks at the GM2 and 3 level's are able to enjoy the game, it just sucks that anyone not at that point is effectively handicapped.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    what's your geographic area, platform and NAT? I've been playing other games, the past few days but I was able to get groups on those difficulties w/o issue...

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    East coast US, PC. When i do get grouped up, seems like it’s with a lot of Europeans given the names and minor voice chat i can hear.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

I read that Anthem is now available for EA and Origin access subscribers.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Hopefully it'll allow more people to check the game out and increase the playerbase.

• Options
    Got to 19mil today. New inversion is freaking insane if you play it right.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I guess I finished the quest line for the Cataclysm? Is that it? Also, I finally got an 80 piece of gear. A pulse launcher. Not much in the way of crystals left, though, lol. Rearranged some components and I was hitting pretty hard in Tyrant Mine afterwards. Killed the boss in a single phase.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I kind of figured we knew that already

• Options
    edited September 2019
    My hope is that the end of Cataclysm events result in an expansion of the main map using the event area with a new range of explorables and mission types, it would really help tide over the in-between.

This event was a really good step in terms of content (despite the negative op eds all over the internet), I do like the interplay between the storytelling and the groundhog-day style gameplay too, pretty clever

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    An actual reason to keep doing the same thing over again? Witchcraft!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBbqImBqII

19 mil run. After Brita I kill Astrid and Takaro while collecting secrets in those areas and work my way round to when I meet up with the guy who recorded the video again at dominion foothold.

Please ignore the bit where I fly back to Crucible at the end. It is definitely not because we realised that I had forgotten to pick up the purple note by the crucible stability bubble, which would have cost us enough to put us under 19mil.

Weirdly, the player who crashed during the cutscene still made it onto leaderboard but about 100 points below the rest of us.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    My hope is that the end of Cataclysm events result in an expansion of the main map using the event area with a new range of explorables and mission types, it would really help tide over the in-between.

This event was a really good step in terms of content (despite the negative op eds all over the internet), I do like the interplay between the storytelling and the groundhog-day style gameplay too, pretty clever

The way the announcement was phrased makes me think that this is just gonna be the ME:A treatment. Maaaybe a few events that are remixes of existing content, some new skins, etc. But I doubt they'll ever do more content that features new story stuff, voice acting, mocap, etc.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Weirdly, the player who crashed during the cutscene still made it onto leaderboard but about 100 points below the rest of us.

This error has now been corrected and he has his proper spot on the leaderboard thanks to a tiny improvement in score today.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    So, sounds like this game is headed straight for the cemetery if the whole "Complete and total abandonment of the roadmap" thing is any indication.

There is a small, very very VERY small chance that maybe, JUST maybe... They threw out hte roadmap because they realize the game is completely effed in the A on sata-day from the ground up, and now they're planning to pull "A Realm Reborn" on us.

It's EA that would be giving the green light though, and this is still the same Bioware that managed to fuck up 6 years of game development. Better to keep those hopes deflated.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The next two or three weeks will probably be key. BL3 just dropped and Cataclysm is ending, so EA will probably see where their playerbase ends up and make a call on what to do.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The next two or three weeks will probably be key. BL3 just dropped and Cataclysm is ending, so EA will probably see where their playerbase ends up and make a call on what to do.

No, them pulling the roadmap is them realizing where the player base was: non-existent. The game is done now.

It's a shame, I really wanted to like the game pre-release, it was right to my alley in type of game. But they just made so many mistakes right from the get-go, from making an awesome Iron Man game except you can't fly all that far because you overheat constantly, to making you go back to base just to see what loot you got (in a loot game!), to boring mission design, enemies that are tiny and hard to see, basically requiring you group up for all missions unless you put it on Easy - except then you get worse loot. And a whole lot more problems than that.... It's a real shame. It had such potential.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm being unnecessarily optimistic, but admitting that the road map style of releases isn't going to fit with reality doesn't have to mean the game is dead. If seasonal releases are enough to keep players coming back for a few weeks or longer each quarter, maybe it suffices. Frankly, after a stint in WoW, and more hours than I want to talk about in Warframe and Fortnite, I'm honestly less inclined to give a product shit just because they aren't planning on having a thousand hours of new content per year. Yeah, yeah, I get it, having streamers and youtubers neck deep in your stuff 24/7 is a thing and drives interest, but as someone who put the game down maybe half a year ago, finally coming back to put some pretty regular hours in for a couple of weeks there with the Cataclysm, I'm okay with that balancing out.

It reminds me of a GDC talk by someone from the Path of Exile team, talking about their goals for the player base, retention, hours spent, income through the microtransaction shop, etc. Yes, I fully recognize that "a small indie game with like 2 dozen people working on it at launch" and "a Triple A Bioware game with the budget of a summer blockbuster" aren't in the same ballpark, but longevity doesn't have to be about getting a million people to play your game like it's a second job, and if they drop something cool and fun to bring me back in a month or two, even if just for a week or three, that'd be awesome.

Yeah, I ran some non-cataclysm stuff too, and the speed with which groups filled out wasn't exactly instantaneous, but people were showing up all the same.

Remember, City of Heroes came back from the dead. Anything is possible!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!