As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [Coronavirus] Thread

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Also, using aquarium-grade drugs as a circumventing of pharmaceutical script processes has been a thing for a while now

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Also, using aquarium-grade drugs as a circumventing of pharmaceutical script processes has been a thing for a while now

To dovetail off of that, gabbing pet antibiotics off the hook has also been common. I think it's been a recommended thing in bug-out kits in some areas.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    In update news, since I did not see it posted here:

Federal officials have said that anyone who left New York recently should self-quarantine at home for 14 days.

So, this effectively means I am here for the forseeable future. All New Yorkers are politely being told not to leave, and if you do, assume you have been exposed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    National parks in Africa that protect chimpanzees and gorillas are being closed to protect the great apes as, being so genetically similar to ourselves, it's very possible that they could also get infected with SARS2. Ebola for instance is just as deadly to gorillas as it is to us and an Ebola outbreak killed hundreds of lowland gorillas in one area, maybe 95% of the population there. With their populations already so small, scientists and conservationists will not risk even more of them dying to a new disease.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There is a new app for crowdsourcing data about the pandemic, asking people to self-report symptoms or lack of. It seems to be from a legit source but there's not much info. Available now in the UK (and I assume Europe?) and tomorrow in the US.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Federal officials have said that anyone who left New York recently should self-quarantine at home for 14 days.

So, this effectively means I am here for the forseeable future. All New Yorkers are politely being told not to leave, and if you do, assume you have been exposed.

were you planning on going anywhere in the near future?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »

were you planning on going anywhere in the near future?

Not for business - but there are some rather critical life events happening right now that cannot be rescheduled, that this has effectively and completely removed any chance of participation.

The mental and emotional toll these things are going to create rolling downstream will be felt for lifetimes. People not able to be in the hospital while their spouses and children die from the virus. Not being able to go home for the death of a parent or attend a funeral. Like, we haven't even begun to understand all the shit we are going to have to cope with as a result of this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On the good news for the US, Congress finally got a deal:
    The White House and Senate leaders reached a deal early Wednesday morning on a massive stimulus package they hope will keep the nation from falling into a deep recession because of the coronavirus crisis.

The revamped Senate proposal will inject approximately $2 trillion into the economy, providing tax rebates, four months expanded unemployment benefits and a slew of business tax-relief provisions aimed at shoring up individual, family and business finances.

The deal includes $500 billion for a major corporate liquidity program through the Federal Reserve, $367 billion for a small business loan program, $100 billion for hospitals and $150 billion for state and local governments.

It will also give a one-time check of $1,200 to Americans who make up to $75,000. Individuals with no or little tax liability would receive the same amount, unlike the initial GOP proposal that would have given them a minimum of $600.

The agreement caps five days of intense negotiations that started Friday morning when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) convened Republican and Democratic colleagues, with talks stretching late into the evening each of the following four days.

“At last we have a deal. ... the Senate has reached a bipartisan agreement," McConnell said during a speech on the Senate floor after 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday, pledging that the Senate would pass the package later in the day.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) hailed the legislation as "the largest rescue package in American history."

“This bill is far from perfect, but we believe the legislation has been improved significantly to warrant its quick consideration and passage,” he said.

Mnuchin also says that Trump will sign it, so that ends this whole show.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Did they kill the Trump slush fund?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Did they kill the Trump slush fund?

In some ways. IG and Congressional oversight. No business owned by an member of the executive or the legislative can take money including those owned by family members. AKA Trump is not allowed to give money to his properties.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Absurd that such a provision binding the President's hands has to be passed into law and signed by that same President, but ethical rules and norms are not reliable in the mobster US regime we have right now

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    God at least they got it through. $1,200 isn't enough to last as long as COVID will be around, but this is a fantastic start. I wonder how they plan on administering the bill (like for S&L governments).

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    what i really want to know is if the bill says explicitly who is in charge of enforcing the provision and who, if anyone, would have standing to sue if the President or Secretary Mnuchin goes ahead and pumps some of that $$ into a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a company in which Kushner's 2nd cousin owns minority shares

this is fucking why elected officials should not have any control of or knowledge into their investments at all so this kind of shit isn't even a fucking question but hey we'll have plenty of novel corruption questions to address later after this bill is signed and the checks go out

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Oghulk wrote: »
    God at least they got it through. $1,200 isn't enough to last as long as COVID will be around, but this is a fantastic start. I wonder how they plan on administering the bill (like for S&L governments).

It's also unemployment +$600 for four months while expanding unemployment to gig workers who typically aren't covered. The $1,200 one shot check is basically just if you are still working and getting paid as normal/ and to kind of cover for the last couple weeks of unemployment before the new rules got written.

It's pretty similar to what I figured the House Bill would look like after stripping the more obviously sacrificial bits off. Though I would have still liked to see the election stuff in it since this will still be a thing in November.

moniker on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It doesn't preclude them from passing another relief package in a month or two if we need it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It doesn't preclude them from passing another relief package in a month or two if we need it.

Yeah Mnuchin has said many times that this is not the last relief package they'll have to provide.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    what i really want to know is if the bill says explicitly who is in charge of enforcing the provision and who, if anyone, would have standing to sue if the President or Secretary Mnuchin goes ahead and pumps some of that $$ into a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a company in which Kushner's 2nd cousin owns minority shares

this is fucking why elected officials should not have any control of or knowledge into their investments at all so this kind of shit isn't even a fucking question but hey we'll have plenty of novel corruption questions to address later after this bill is signed and the checks go out

The bigger loophole would be offering a huge bailout package to an arms length business associate of Trumps in exchange for them overpaying on renting out Trump conference rooms and resorts at an inflated cost. Much like Trump has been doing with the Secret Service and the GOP election committees etc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I'm not sure how to word this exactly, but I kinda wish people wouldn't advertise this kind of thing until after the bill's signed. It's not that I disapprove of the blocking, far from it, but everything I've ever seen from Trump suggests he's petty enough to not sign it because his perceived enemies are landing a blow directly aimed him. Calling it to attention beforehand just feels like not the best course to me. I'd swear we've seen this in action already.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.projectbaseline.com/study/covid-19/

Verily's website for "should you get tested" is up. Currently supporting San Jose, San Mateo, Lake Elsinore, and Sacramento.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I'm not sure how to word this exactly, but I kinda wish people wouldn't advertise this kind of thing until after the bill's signed. It's not that I disapprove of the blocking, far from it, but everything I've ever seen from Trump suggests he's petty enough to not sign it because his perceived enemies are landing a blow directly aimed him. Calling it to attention beforehand just feels like not the best course to me. I'd swear we've seen this in action already.

I think he also learned that after the shutdown, he can't be shown to be the one directly responsible for hurting American's financially if he wants to get re-elected. If both parties have passed the bill, and he doesn't sign it without a REALLY good, ginned up reason, he knows it can hurt his re-election chances, the one thing he really cares about right now.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    The White House and Senate leaders reached a deal early Wednesday morning on a massive stimulus package they hope will keep the nation from falling into a deep recession because of the coronavirus crisis.

The revamped Senate proposal will inject approximately $2 trillion into the economy, providing tax rebates, four months expanded unemployment benefits and a slew of business tax-relief provisions aimed at shoring up individual, family and business finances.

The deal includes $500 billion for a major corporate liquidity program through the Federal Reserve, $367 billion for a small business loan program, $100 billion for hospitals and $150 billion for state and local governments.

It will also give a one-time check of $1,200 to Americans who make up to $75,000. Individuals with no or little tax liability would receive the same amount, unlike the initial GOP proposal that would have given them a minimum of $600.

The agreement caps five days of intense negotiations that started Friday morning when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) convened Republican and Democratic colleagues, with talks stretching late into the evening each of the following four days.

“At last we have a deal. ... the Senate has reached a bipartisan agreement," McConnell said during a speech on the Senate floor after 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday, pledging that the Senate would pass the package later in the day.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) hailed the legislation as "the largest rescue package in American history."

“This bill is far from perfect, but we believe the legislation has been improved significantly to warrant its quick consideration and passage,” he said.

Anyone know if that $75,000 limit is household income, or individual income? As in, would a husband and wife making $50,000 each ($100,000 household) each get a $1,200 check? Or do they get nothing?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Anyone know if that $75,000 limit is household income, or individual income? As in, would a husband and wife making $50,000 each ($100,000 household) each get a $1,200 check? Or do they get nothing?

75k per individual, married I believe goes up to 150. Single income household 125k? I believe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Does it scale off or is someone making 75,001 shit out of luck, which is fine because they are probably making enough to get through this but seems strange to have a hard wall low enough on the overall wage scale (as opposed to like 200k+)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Scales from 75k to 99k, I believe.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'm okay with this.

edit: as long as it covers the people on unemployment. I know a few who make good money normally, but are now out of work and with no idea when they'll be able to return to work.

Orca on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'm okay with this.

edit: as long as it covers the people on unemployment. I know a few who make good money normally, but are now out of work and with no idea when they'll be able to return to work.

Unemployment is getting a buff of $600 a week for everyone who is getting it right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The bill allows for four months of expanded unemployment insurance. I think I read up to $600 a week? Once you navigate your state's potentially overwhelmed unemployment offices to sign up. Those checks can take a week or three to arrive, too, depending on your state.

It'd be far simpler to just keep giving americans the money each month but noooooo can't have any overly liberal policies in our epidemic bailout

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does it scale off or is someone making 75,001 shit out of luck, which is fine because they are probably making enough to get through this but seems strange to have a hard wall low enough on the overall wage scale (as opposed to like 200k+)

In a high-cost locality, $75K of individual income can still be a struggle. It's not so far off the median income in those localities as to warrant a hard cutoff, that's for sure. There are people living in places like Seattle or San Francisco making $75K (or who were making $75K) that probably need some help.

• Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/585672/first-us-minor-not-meet-criteria-coronavirus-test/

17 year old died to Coronavirus due to septic shcok. Was denied testing, only was confirmed to have it after death.

No underlying health conditions.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    The bill allows for four months of expanded unemployment insurance. I think I read up to $600 a week? Once you navigate your state's potentially overwhelmed unemployment offices to sign up. Those checks can take a week or three to arrive, too, depending on your state.

It'd be far simpler to just keep giving americans the money each month but noooooo can't have any overly liberal policies in our epidemic bailout

Piggybacking off of existing systems is logistically easier and faster than setting up a brand new system whole cloth. And it's not like the Federal Government is immune to COVID-19 and operating at full strength either. Plenty of civil servants are suddenly homeschool teachers on top of what they can do from home.

Also, I know Illinois eliminated the waiting period for UEI and I'm pretty sure most other places have as well. I'd much rather just have them boost that than try and setup another ACA website to get your cash direct from Treasury.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    How do people make it on the west coast on $75k

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Morgues are running out of space due to the virus.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/dhs-briefing-nyc-morgues-near-capacity-148259
    NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing.
    Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing. A third person familiar with the situation in New York said that some of the city’s hospital morgues hit capacity over the last seven days. And a FEMA spokesperson told POLITICO that New York has asked for emergency mortuary assistance. Hawaii and North Carolina have asked for mortuary help as well, and the disaster response agency is currently reviewing the requests, according to the spokesperson.

If the available morgue space in New York City fills up as the number of COVID-19 deaths increases, federal help will be available, a former senior administration official said, noting that the George W. Bush administration sent mortuary assistance in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the September 11 attacks.

The Department of Health and Human Services oversees the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Teams (DMORT), which can help set up temporary morgues. The teams operate in response to requests from local authorities.
    Well, I guess I should have assumed something like DMORT existed.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Am I right in reading that the checks wouldn't be cut until May? That

uh

feels like it might be a bit late to help people hurting now

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The unemployment boost should be pretty immediate though right?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If you e-filed and/or received your last refund via direct deposit it should be faster, but yeah

That’s not great.

It’s funny because after 2008 they wanted to create systems specifically for emergency initiatives and were told no.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Morgues are running out of space due to the virus.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/dhs-briefing-nyc-morgues-near-capacity-148259
    NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing.
    Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing. A third person familiar with the situation in New York said that some of the city’s hospital morgues hit capacity over the last seven days. And a FEMA spokesperson told POLITICO that New York has asked for emergency mortuary assistance. Hawaii and North Carolina have asked for mortuary help as well, and the disaster response agency is currently reviewing the requests, according to the spokesperson.

If the available morgue space in New York City fills up as the number of COVID-19 deaths increases, federal help will be available, a former senior administration official said, noting that the George W. Bush administration sent mortuary assistance in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the September 11 attacks.

The Department of Health and Human Services oversees the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Teams (DMORT), which can help set up temporary morgues. The teams operate in response to requests from local authorities.
    Well, I guess I should have assumed something like DMORT existed.

Why is North Carolina already asking for assistance, there wasn’t even a coronavirus death until this morning?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    How do people make it on the west coast on $75k

Not everyone lives in the major high income cities on the west coast.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/585672/first-us-minor-not-meet-criteria-coronavirus-test/

17 year old died to Coronavirus due to septic shcok. Was denied testing, only was confirmed to have it after death.

No underlying health conditions.

I keep seeing more and more of these cases discussed. I'm sure it's mostly because the number of total infections is going up at an alarming rate, meaning outliers are more prevalent.

But holy hell, the number of people under 50 hospitalized or dead because of this thing is way higher than I anticipated based on the data out of China.

This discussion has been closed.