As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not Sue Gruff [Game Grumps]

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, the earlier days of YoTube were wild. I miss Mega64.

Edit: And I just noticed that you called him Dad Bod - which I could totally get. He’s saying Dad Bot, since in the YouTube series he’s totally a normal dad and not at all a robot. It’s still a very weird series though, but it is deep enough that the Game Theorist guy did a whole episode on it.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    You'll never guess who finally learned that the depths exist.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm finally catching up on the Tears playthrough, and boy howdy Arin has a hard time seeing the most trivial shit. All of which is supposed to help convey information to the player.

Sounds par for the course.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I love it though. These Zelda playthroughs are my favorite because they usually shoot the shit while wandering around and having Arin do dumb shit lol

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I love it though. These Zelda playthroughs are my favorite because they usually shoot the shit while wandering around and having Arin do dumb shit lol

"We have to stay clear of those Tor-"
    *goes directly into tornado and gets hurt*
    "OH STAY CLEAR OF THE TORNADOES, GOT IT!"

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    If nothing else, the Grumps playthrough of TotK really makes me wonder how many people miss or forget some basic game mechanics. It's one thing to watch a playthrough where someone doesn't abuse the shit out of flurry rush or constantly dropping strong monster parts to fuse to weapons, but it's quite another to watch a playthrough where someone doesn't know they can use the D-pad to quick-swap weapons, or that they can throw items without attaching them to an arrow.

But it's been very enjoyable regardless. In many cases, it's enjoyable because of Arin's fumbling around.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    If nothing else, the Grumps playthrough of TotK really makes me wonder how many people miss or forget some basic game mechanics. It's one thing to watch a playthrough where someone doesn't abuse the shit out of flurry rush or constantly dropping strong monster parts to fuse to weapons, but it's quite another to watch a playthrough where someone doesn't know they can use the D-pad to quick-swap weapons, or that they can throw items without attaching them to an arrow.

But it's been very enjoyable regardless. In many cases, it's enjoyable because of Arin's fumbling around.

Part of it, I think, is trying to commentate over stuff is super distracting, on top of not wanting to seem boring by taking his time. So I cut him a little slack. It also doesn't help that these play sessions are spread out so he might learn something but when he needs to use it like a month later he doesn't remember. Like, I think at one point he learned to throw but he doesn't remember now.

Mostly I do wish someone would give them a couple minor hints though. Like, smash boxes and barrels for arrows. I do like that someone seems to be directing them to the right tears since the game was dumb about the order of those.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Holy fuck, episode 18 is rough haha. Arin is hilariously inept and the fact that he even had the thing at the start...

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Not been watching a whole lot of Grumps at the moment since I don't really care for 10,000,000 episode series, but their latest Sbassbear song compilation is something very special indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hga1ebRK4

Forklift simulator.... forklift simulator....

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHHFsaaC9M

This video had me in tears. When the older doctor showed up... phew.

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular

I think Game Grumps are almost emblematic of the average gamer. It's not this caricature of a very stupid and slow person. It's someone who's generally quick and competent but just isn't paying a lot of attention.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Vontre wrote: »

I think Game Grumps are almost emblematic of the average gamer. It's not this caricature of a very stupid and slow person. It's someone who's generally quick and competent but just isn't paying a lot of attention.

I uh

I don't think this is true

I think they're spectacularly bad at this to the point where it almost feels like it's on purpose

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular

I uh

I don't think this is true

I think they're spectacularly bad at this to the point where it almost feels like it's on purpose

There are definitely times where Arin is purposely goofing around (like when he kept dying to that one moblin when trying to get the sentry thing to work), but I don't think you can chalk up things like "doesn't use the d-pad to switch weapons" or "doesn't sort the inventory to quickly find stuff" to intentional bad play. They just forgot, or never noticed the option.

• Options
    Arin went on a podcast of Cold Ones and has some decent conversation while drinking Whiskey and Beer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhseHQCNmyo

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I got Tears of the Kingdom about a month ago, so I finally can start watching the series, though I'm still way behind. Episode 16, I think? The problem is we went in different directions early on.
    I'm going Rito, Gerudo, Zora, Goron, and the Grumps went Goron second. I plan on starting the Goron stuff this weekend, so I can catch up soon!

It is sometimes frustrating watching their performance, especially at their ridiculous lack of health. But it's still funny every time Arin complete fucks up. The many, many, many deaths, not to mention every time Arin builds some contraption and it fails utterly.

They've had some great non-Totk content. Raptor Boyfriend has been fantastic and gave me my favorite, "have to pause the video until I stop laughing" moment in ages.
    "Fuck off, straight edge bigfoot!"

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Ghoul Grumps is the entire month of October

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/sbwoG-JI-LI?si=M9kUocAI2hAYW-mQ
    Speaking of, the first game of Ghoul Grumps is... different.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    holy shit i would no joke wear this on a shirt

• Options
    I got Tears of the Kingdom about a month ago, so I finally can start watching the series, though I'm still way behind. Episode 16, I think? The problem is we went in different directions early on.
    I'm going Rito, Gerudo, Zora, Goron, and the Grumps went Goron second. I plan on starting the Goron stuff this weekend, so I can catch up soon!

It is sometimes frustrating watching their performance, especially at their ridiculous lack of health. But it's still funny every time Arin complete fucks up. The many, many, many deaths, not to mention every time Arin builds some contraption and it fails utterly.

They've had some great non-Totk content. Raptor Boyfriend has been fantastic and gave me my favorite, "have to pause the video until I stop laughing" moment in ages.

Yeah but you can tell from watching that the reason he has low health is that it somehow came to his attention that stamina maxing is the optimal way to play BOTW, and he's vaguely aware of this but not aware of its reason or context. Which is very much typical gamer shit.

They probably do this thing where they deliberately try to get really close to the line on some things like deploying the paraglider at the last possible second because that's entertaining. That's still very much within the bounds of a player trying to have fun on their own though. Deliberate failure is possible but it's also like, more effort than required; it's easier to just goof off doing fun stuff in the game and fail naturally. TOTK is legitimately hard if you don't know what you're doing.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2023

Yeah but you can tell from watching that the reason he has low health is that it somehow came to his attention that stamina maxing is the optimal way to play BOTW, and he's vaguely aware of this but not aware of its reason or context. Which is very much typical gamer shit.

They probably do this thing where they deliberately try to get really close to the line on some things like deploying the paraglider at the last possible second because that's entertaining. That's still very much within the bounds of a player trying to have fun on their own though. Deliberate failure is possible but it's also like, more effort than required; it's easier to just goof off doing fun stuff in the game and fail naturally. TOTK is legitimately hard if you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah, though I think it's also an Arin thing. "Running out of stamina is annoying/frustrating and I don't have the patience for it, so I want to always get stamina and I'm not going to think about the consequences of this." Feels like a very Arin mindset :P (I think he also considers it funny if they die anyways so it's fine) They're starting to slooooowly pick up on mechanics though and as they get forced Heart Containers from bosses the health is at least becoming less of an issue. I'm glad they are not above looking shit up because they would absolutely not be making any progress otherwise. Do wish Arin would farm off screen for more battery power though (I think he has a little - these last few episodes I've noticed like an extra battery bar or two from the previous, though it's been maybe like two or three total)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rho-JLlMx44

Going back and watching some old videos... Completely forgot this is where that self-congratulatory laugh joke started and it's still funny to me to this day.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's weird - I'm watching the Phantasmagoria episodes because I love classic Sierra stuff, but whatever their setup is makes the game look way worse than it should. Whenever I get to a censored section and find another YouTube clip of it, the FMV is way smoother in both color/detail and in frame rate.

• Options
    It's weird - I'm watching the Phantasmagoria episodes because I love classic Sierra stuff, but whatever their setup is makes the game look way worse than it should. Whenever I get to a censored section and find another YouTube clip of it, the FMV is way smoother in both color/detail and in frame rate.

Yeah I don't know what happened with their capture but it's very jarring to see the slideshow happen.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Probably whatever emulator they are using to run the game. Likely just think it’s good enough. It has done decently at Gamecube and PS2 games at least, but some older computer have are shit on whatever it is. Probably having trouble with all of the weirdly encoded video files.

• Options
    I gotta say that I'm a little disappointed by this Ghoul Grumps. Parasocial just wasn't doing anything for me... It's always funny to see how far into it Dan gets and I often wonder if it's a bit. Like he was freaking out that it may be <person> screaming "NO NO NO NO". We had two adventure games (Pajama Sam and Phantasmagoria) which were okay. The choppyness of the FMVs kills me in the 2nd one. It WAS nice to hear Brian again.

The Power Drill Massacre game might have been one of the worst things I've seen them play. Watching him navigate those hallways for almost 45 minutes was painful. Poop killer was like... ugh. Poppy's Playtime was fun though. I knew Dan would jump when Poppy showed up. And Seven Night's Ghost was unwatchable for me since Arin uses his fucking jock voice for every goddamn protagonist and it cuts into my soul.

I really wanted something like Krampus or Chicken in the Dark or Tongulus or something. I'm only bitter because I got excited that they were doing a whole month of Ghoul Grumps so I figured I'd be in for some treats.

• Options
    I'm enjoying Phantasmagoria but I was not aware the fmvs were not supposed to look that bad, so maybe ignorance is bliss. It's a nice chill time. Dan and Brian are funny. I like the reoccurring gag of not securing the lamp.

Actually I don't mind the games they are doing, aside from Poop Killer which kind of sucks, but there are so many good short and sweet horror games that could have been more interesting. I'm more confused by their game choices than disappointed.

• Options
    I guess there's just no videos here that I would love to rewatch. Like the Coffee Shop one from last year got so many views because he was doing a fucking awesome Skeletor impression and it was great. The game itself was janky as fuck and not all that interesting.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Happy's Humble Burger Barn was a trip, and a nice compressed single episode

• Options

Ah I forgot about that one. Yeah it was fun.

• Options
    I guess I should just lower my expectations. Every time I get myself hyped something fucks it up in my brain and I leave disappointed.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today's was fun - I like it when they can actually play a game co-op. The Poop ones were just bad - usually the "so bad, it's good" type of horror game works well for them, but the Poop Killer games are just too self-aware and trying too hard to be funny, so it fizzled for me.

Phantasmagoria is super interesting. The FMV stuff is choppy (I only would have known because I wanted to see the scenes uncensored) - but it's a neat game that I never got around to playing when it came around. It's surprisingly less item-based in its puzzles compared to the traditional Sierra/Lucasarts style point and clicks too - more about triggering events.

• Options
    Ohhh House of the Dead Remake today? That I'm down for. Fucking love that game.

• Options
    Poppy's looked crazy good and scary, wanted to see more of that.

• Options
    Poppy's looked crazy good and scary, wanted to see more of that.

If you're interested in playing it the game is free on Steam!

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Arin playing the entire thing in darkness the whole time because he couldn't figure out how to operate a light switch was peak game grumps.

• Options
    RE: House of the Dead. FUCKING SHOOT THINGS, VASES/BOXES/ETC KEEP SHOOTING THERE IS NO AMMO LIMIT.

• Options
    I'm fine. Everything's fine.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Returning to an earlier point, maybe there is a segment of House of the Dead players who make a point of not shooting certain things. :lol:

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    See, for me, Parasocial was genuinely scary, especially the first episode. It felt like a much more realistic possibility compared to the usual horror game. And then it becomes impossible to trust anyone, so everyone approaching you seems like a threat. And, as always, it scared the crap out of Dan.

We didn't get another Tongulus this year, true, though that brawler from the first day was of a similar level of barely functional jank.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    It becomes impossible to trust anyone because they don't give any characters any depth lol. If I wrote a game where every character is basically winking at the camera acting suspicious then it'd feel the same way. I dunno. I thought the coffee one sucked too but at least Arin saved it by turning into Skeletor and being really fucking good at it.