As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DS1 - I can parry everything that is parryable. I parried Gwyn to death.
    Every other game - cannot parry a thing.
    Makes sense. In DS1 parries have active frames as soon as you hit the button, but in 2, 3, and ER (don't know about BB or Sekiro) there's a few frames of startup.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Sekiro parrying is the best parrying but it would definitely not work in any other Fromsoft game, same goes for Bloodborne's revenge healing mechanic.

This just makes me excited to see what crazy mechanics they're going to make for giant robots with huge guns.

I'm curious to see what they've been doing for 7 years, since "early development" was in 2016. I assume it was with designers, concept artists, and other similar people during the planning.

the way Fromsoft makes their games is pretty different from any other company, so I'm imagining several years of just gray box testing of the combat and the plot is whipped up in the last year or so of development.

Also expecting to see at least one Blightsteel Colossus.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I felt like the sekiro parry window was both wider and easier to time than the other fromsoft games. IIRC even the best parry weapons/shields in DS3 and Elden ring have tighter windows and do wierd shit like have a 10 frame deadzone after hitting the button before the parry part of the animation kicks in.

It was definitely something where I just learned the timing for a few boss fights and never used it again.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Sekiro parrying is the best parrying but it would definitely not work in any other Fromsoft game, same goes for Bloodborne's revenge healing mechanic.

This just makes me excited to see what crazy mechanics they're going to make for giant robots with huge guns.

I'm curious to see what they've been doing for 7 years, since "early development" was in 2016. I assume it was with designers, concept artists, and other similar people during the planning.

the way Fromsoft makes their games is pretty different from any other company, so I'm imagining several years of just gray box testing of the combat and the plot is whipped up in the last year or so of development.

Yeah they seem to find a gameplay hook and build the game around it. Sekiro was brilliant, and I think there's a reason Bloodborne has kept its popularity despite basically languishing due to IP hell it's likely in.

Strangely, I think Fromsoft shares their development ideology with Nintendo, who also builds games around central gameplay mechanics. Completely different approaches but I think it's the same starting point.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The only Fromsoft game I've ever been able to parry in was Bloodborne, and by the time I'm able to make my way back to it I'm sure all my ability to play that game will have atrophied. I was in a forest area with three hooded dudes that seemed a little obsessed with snakes when I left off.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Yeah they seem to find a gameplay hook and build the game around it. Sekiro was brilliant, and I think there's a reason Bloodborne has kept its popularity despite basically languishing due to IP hell it's likely in.

Strangely, I think Fromsoft shares their development ideology with Nintendo, who also builds games around central gameplay mechanics. Completely different approaches but I think it's the same starting point.

yeah it's the thing the clones can never get right, the gameplay should be polished to a silky smooth ball, so smooth and silky that you can trade it for random items.
    They also keep doing animation blending and all those things that make your character slide around and get all rubbery.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I cannot parry worth shit in like any game

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've always been bad at parrying but I did it on Gwyn pretty well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I parried once in DS1. End boss. I tried him without it and made headway he was just non stop aggro so it was just easier to do it that way.

DS2 so far ive parried once as well. Pursuer. Because getting the damn ballistas to work for me is impossible I guess heh.

In elden ring I did it during the tutorial and that was it. Guard Counters are just so good there.
    Guard counters making the sound fairground test of strength games do with the hammer and the bell is both hilarious and incredibly satisfying.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am not a big fan of parries that have a lengthy deadzone before parry frames start. I've always found parrying to be most fun when you can do it as a snap reaction instead of having to laboriously learn the timing for the parry animation AND the attack animation.

I love Sekiro because it has an instant parry, parrying is not a huge binary risk, and most enemies you fight are roughly humanoid so parrying feels more natural.

Looking forward to Nine Sols for some 2d play along those lines.

Elden Ring parries aren't too bad because some shields have huge parry windows, but still lack that snappy feel.

Fuck I should just remove the word Larry from the phone autocorrect dictionary

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Rolled up a new character, went with the “Prophet”. Apparently some people don’t like it? I’m doing fine but then again I’m also running away a lot. Fire melts most things and the spear is fun, if a bit different on the timing from what I’m used to

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    the thing with prophet is that confessor is clearly the Cooler Daniel to the prophet's Daniel

for raw metagaming i think hero, prisoner, and vagabond are the best options 99% of the time

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I wanted to do a little more Faith-based stuff while still not going full magic nerd Astrologer. That’ll probably be my 3rd game.

Also for coolness I just wear my favorite armor that won’t make me fatroll

I spent probably 60% of my first game in the Spellblade set, and later the only thing I changed was the torso and the leg armor, for the Drake equivalents.

knitdan on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    confessor does have the coolest starting armor

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    i think i'm a go to 175 on my dragon arcane character

high req weapons, having to go to about 28 faith to meet reqs; shit's tight at 150 and cuts to stamina, FP, and damage output are just gonna make it less fun to play

i don't do co-op or pvp so this an entirely arbitrary decision with zero consequences but i usually prefer to cap myself at a pretty standard level to preserve the need to optimize my builds so i am resistant to the idea

• Options
    Unlocked the giant rat ashes.

YESSS. I have now entered my final form as the Rat King of the Lands Between sent to claim the surface world as my own.

• Options
    Oh hey before I forget

I never saw/met/fought the guy from the trailer (and loading screens, on occasion). Giant dude with a halberd. Is he in the game and I just missed him?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Oh hey before I forget

I never saw/met/fought the guy from the trailer (and loading screens, on occasion). Giant dude with a halberd. Is he in the game and I just missed him?
    The big golem one? There's a bunch of those around the world.

• Options
    Maybe it’s just my mistake in perspective but the one I’m thinking about seemed bigger than Radahn

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Maybe it’s just my mistake in perspective but the one I’m thinking about seemed bigger than Radahn

1q5n8yc016lj.png
    this guy? It's one of the Golems, some have bows others have Halberd. They're all over the place

• Options
    edited February 2023
    That winged assault crucible knights do is definitely going to be an incantation in the DLC.

Heres hoping anyway.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Those golems are all over the dang place

First times you'll see them will be the path to the divine tower right out of Stormveil, to unlock Godrick's great rune; one chilling in northern Limgrave right under that bridge, which I'm now realizing is meant to have fallen off, lol; and a teleport trap in a tower on the southern peninsula leading to one lying down in Leyndell

Oh and there's one shooting a huge bow defending Castle Morne, and one defending a well down to the underground near the woods southeast of Limgrave?

They're all huge, too

• Options
    i soloed malenia again on my melee mage build

i can't believe i'm saying it but... the fight is growing on me a little? still iffy on waterfowl but the method of tossing a knife at her to provoke the first one from a distance wound up helping a lot, and gave me a little better idea of how to respond to it at close range, at least enough that it went from an instawipe to a recoverable 90% hit. the buff to light roll has made the fight way less frustrating.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I have about 140 hours in Elden Ring and only just now getting to the capital. I assume it will end at some point.

I assume.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I have about 140 hours in Elden Ring and only just now getting to the capital. I assume it will end at some point.

I assume.

You're just about halfway! Great job! See you in a year.

• Options

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

• Options
    No, you're more than halfway, but like... not by much.

There's... the capital and its environs, which is huge, and then I think at least two full mandatory new zones, and two full optional zones, maybe three, and that's assuming you fully explored the underground areas so far?

There is definitely some Witcher 3 levels of "surely this massive, complex map is the capstone that will end my time with ... oh god, there's a whole new map??" going on here

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I can't bring myself to leave a zone until I feel like I've "cleared" everything in it so might be time to take a break for a week or two.

It honestly feels like I've completed three different dark souls games now. Holy shit.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I can't bring myself to leave a zone until I feel like I've "cleared" everything in it so might be time to take a break for a week or two.

It honestly feels like I've completed three different dark souls games now. Holy shit.

Once you go through the outer walls of the Capital, Leyndell proper is about the size of the first half of DS1. It is massive and complex and is imho their best legacy dungeon/classic level design ever.

Elden Ring honestly is a rough game to no-life. I've come around that it's more like a series, and maybe you take a week off and do something else. And then you come back and have another adventure.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Once you go through the outer walls of the Capital, Leyndell proper is about the size of the first half of DS1. It is massive and complex and is imho their best legacy dungeon/classic level design ever.

Elden Ring honestly is a rough game to no-life. I've come around that it's more like a series, and maybe you take a week off and do something else. And then you come back and have another adventure.
    kind of feels like the perfect time to start exploring some of those 2D souls games I've been talking about.

Probably gonna fire up Salt and Sanctuary for the first time tomorrow after work.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Wait are you counting
    the sewers
    when you say it's the size of the first half of DS1? Because otherwise I feel like that's an overestimation.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Wait are you counting
    the sewers
    when you say it's the size of the first half of DS1? Because otherwise I feel like that's an overestimation.

Yeah, that entire complex, the main avenue, the entryway, the YOU KNOW WHAT area, the rooftops, the outside ashen area with all the praying guys, the multiple residential type places, the outer wall, and I don’t even think I named everything. I’m also including the large steps on the outside with the knights and the caves around there, as well. Basically everything within those outer walls.

I’d say its easily Undead Burg/Undead Parish, Sens Fortress, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin, the Depths, and Blighttown in size.

• Options
    Ah hell didn't notice I'd clicked quote instead of spoiler for that. Whoops.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

oh don't worry after the next area(big ol' snowy mountain) the difficulty drops down hill fast... though getting past the boss is like a 90 degree climb up shit mountain.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

oh don't worry pretty soon the difficulty will all be down hill... right after that one boss fight, which is like a 90 degree slope up shit mountain.

Well that depends on the build heh. That fight has different immunities than the last big ones which can make the end ones much harder.
    if you are bleed curved swords for example.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Snowfield and mountaintop maps really didn't feel worth 100%ing. There was less random shit and the enemies were mostly repeats

• Options
    The Snowfield and mountaintop maps really didn't feel worth 100%ing. There was less random shit and the enemies were mostly repeats

There just isn't a lot there. There's also Mt Gelmir if they haven't gone there yet, all of the underground areas, the absolute knickertwister optional area, etc.

• Options

those mask guys can go fuck themselves though

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Fuck hero graves and those dumbass wagons

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I just went back to do chariot boss in DS2 the other night. I just noped out the when I went through the zone initially because the mobs up to it are fucking horrible.

If hero graves gave us the chance to kill the chariots it would have been so awesome lol.

Jubal77 on