As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Decline of Western [Twitter]ization

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Elon getting fucked over by Jack just making Twitter again would be pretty funny.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Voting is often insufficient in and of itself, and the US has a garbage electoral system.

Nevertheless, it is a citizen's duty to vote, and vote for the best (or least bad) candidate. Participating in, e.g., the primary process and trying to get the best candidates to the ballot is obviously also good. But on voting day, you vote for the best (least bad) candidate for the job. Which, in the US, is sadly almost always a choice between at most two people, one of whom is usually a literal fascist and the other who usually leaves a lot to be desired.

Never is there no difference between the candidates, and not voting is tacitly falling for that lie.

And while you're there, vote for the other races, too. Most of them are a lot more important than they seem.

Steadfast refusal of engaging in electoralism is also a perfectly valid and reasonable strategy

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Voting is often insufficient in and of itself, and the US has a garbage electoral system.

Nevertheless, it is a citizen's duty to vote, and vote for the best (or least bad) candidate. Participating in, e.g., the primary process and trying to get the best candidates to the ballot is obviously also good. But on voting day, you vote for the best (least bad) candidate for the job. Which, in the US, is sadly almost always a choice between at most two people, one of whom is usually a literal fascist and the other who usually leaves a lot to be desired.

Never is there no difference between the candidates, and not voting is tacitly falling for that lie.

And while you're there, vote for the other races, too. Most of them are a lot more important than they seem.

Steadfast refusal of engaging in electoralism is also a perfectly valid and reasonable strategy

I very much disagree. There are, of course, other ways to try to affect change. But, for other than the very powerful/wealthy or highly charismatic, the impact is low.

Voting is not in and of itself sufficient, but it is low-effort, and collectively we can choose our leaders rather than hiving them foisted upon us by others or capricious fate.

It is telling how those who think themselves our betters work tirelessly to restrict the franchise and make voting hard. It it not because they think our votes mean nothing.

Use your hard-won vote. And also use your voice.

If you do not choose your leaders, they will be chosen for you.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

I very much disagree. There are, of course, other ways to try to affect change. But, for other than the very powerful/wealthy or highly charismatic, the impact is low.

Voting is not in and of itself sufficient, but it is low-effort, and collectively we can choose our leaders rather than hiving them foisted upon us by others or capricious fate.

It is telling how those who think themselves our betters work tirelessly to restrict the franchise and make voting hard. It it not because they think our votes mean nothing.

Voting isn't always low effort. In many places that tend to vote Democrat, Republicans have made efforts to close polling places and make more restrictive laws on who can vote. There are giant lines and thats after you manage to get time off from work and make the trip to the polling station.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Le chonk

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Voting isn't always low effort. In many places that tend to vote Democrat, Republicans have made efforts to close polling places and make more restrictive laws on who can vote. There are giant lines and thats after you manage to get time off from work and make the trip to the polling station.

That is why it has to be fought against. Other methods are certainly no less effort.

While it is cold comfort, some solace might be gained from the knowledge that those restrictions are put in place by the fear of the individually powerful of the individually powerless.

They want you to not vote. That is all the more reason to not give in.

• Options
    But if you think "who cares about voting; I'll just lead the glorious people's revolution and usher in a bright new age of peace and equality instead" then
    a) good luck; you're gonna need it
    b) why deprive yourself of a tool you know your oppressors fear (the franchise)? you can both vote and write your manifesto; they're not mutually exclusive

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Yeah the total time I spend thinking about voting and who to vote for is like a day if that. Much less if I can do mail-in. The hardest part is always trying to figure out which of the people locally who are running as like 3 different parties at once and have no media or internet presence are actually alright.

A single Wordpress campaign page with ‘So and so is dedicated to family… liking things… and has a cute dog. That’s why you can trust them as your new comptroller’ and then you find out their sole goal is to become Comptroller so they can access the Comptroller’s Vault as part of a long planned heist.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Genuinely, who is this for

• Options
    To get ahead of something potentially annoying, I vote in every election I can because local races matter a whole lot

But "it is a citizen's duty to vote" is such an annoying goddamn phrase. I didn't choose to be born here, I didn't get a say in that. This country committed genocide on my fuckin' ancestors, but now it's my duty to pull the lever for the geriatric racist cop? Fucking hell what a terrible sales pitch. Myopic, tedious rhetoric, utterly devoid of empathy or original thought.

Stupidest shit.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Yeah the total time I spend thinking about voting and who to vote for is like a day if that. Much less if I can do mail-in. The hardest part is always trying to figure out which of the people locally who are running as like 3 different parties at once and have no media or internet presence are actually alright.

A single Wordpress campaign page with ‘So and so is dedicated to family… liking things… and has a cute dog. That’s why you can trust them as your new comptroller’ and then you find out their sole goal is to become Comptroller so they can access the Comptroller’s Vault as part of a long planned heist.

Looking up the candidates for my city council election. Some of them have Facebook pages,
    one has a campaign website but if you click on "About The Issues" it takes you to an empty Spotify playlist page,
    and the last ones only result on google is the sex offender registry.
    Back in California there was one candidates whose website was half their issues, half a chinese restaurant menu. Like literally split the page down the middle.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    To get ahead of something potentially annoying, I vote in every election I can because local races matter a whole lot

But "it is a citizen's duty to vote" is such an annoying goddamn phrase. I didn't choose to be born here, I didn't get a say in that. This country committed genocide on my fuckin' ancestors, but now it's my duty to pull the lever for the geriatric racist cop? Fucking hell what a terrible sales pitch. Myopic, tedious rhetoric, utterly devoid of empathy or original thought.

Stupidest shit.

Its a great way to get non-voters to remain non-voters

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

Looking up the candidates for my city council election. Some of them have Facebook pages,
    one has a campaign website but if you click on "About The Issues" it takes you to an empty Spotify playlist page,
    and the last ones only result on google is the sex offender registry.
    Back in California there was one candidates whose website was half their issues, half a chinese restaurant menu. Like literally split the page down the middle.

This is why local elections rule

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think a lot of Internet Posts about politics wind up being a statement into the void about the abstract conception of how things should work in an ideal state rather than a conversation back and forth between people

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    the voting argument on these forums only exist as proxy war imho. I don’t think anyone has deluded themselves into thinking they are changing minds. I’m not even sure there are minds to change, because I’d also bet like 90% of us do vote. Even if we think the whole system is a joke.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    i think a lot of Internet Posts about politics wind up being a statement into the void about the abstract conception of how things should work in an ideal state rather than a conversation back and forth between people

I’m not smart so maybe this is implied in this, but don’t a lot of internet posts (including a lot of mine) about politics wind up being a dipshit trying to prove they’re smarter/above the fray by well actually’ing some realpolitik bullshit at everyone

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Oh shit I think I got it now, my b

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    realpolitik is funny because all saying that someone's trying to do realpolitik means is that "they're trying to do the thing they think is the right decision", it just has a fancy kissinger name

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

The several posters who have said that not voting is a valid and reasonable strategy. It isn't.

Stupidest shit.

None of us choose where we are born or under what circumstances. All of us are faced with restrictions and obligations (some a lot more than others; I am quite privileged) and the only thing we can do is the best we can given the tools available and the circumstances.

• Options

The several posters who have said that not voting is a valid and reasonable strategy. It isn't.

Stupidest shit.

None of us choose where we are born or under what circumstances. All of us are faced with restrictions and obligations (some a lot more than others; I am quite privileged) and the only thing we can do is the best we can given the tools available and the circumstances.

No reflection or empathy at all, got it

• Options
    There's an honesty to local elections that I really appreciate. The candidates are always absolutely bug fuck insane but they are, unquestionably, sincere in their insanity.

Like, one candidate's sole driving motivations will be vaping and crypto and the deregulation thereof. The other might be an Anime Furry who thinks we should be spending our entire defense budget on contacting a race of benevolent aliens from Spungulo 4 to help defend us from the coming invasion from beyond our solar system. Candidate 3 is just straight up in the KKK. Like Grand Wizard, hat and everything.

Joe Biden, Pelosi, et al probably does all that shit too but they're never gonna come out and say it. That would be bad optics. Buncha limp dicks.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There is someone who puts together a comprehensive leftist political guide for every Chicago election, which is both very useful when you have to vote on things like Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commissioner and also it tends to be pretty funny and a good read for pointing out all the terrible campaign websites and weird bullshit that you might've missed happening in local politics.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just don’t think we need to pretend that voting is a grand and noble gesture as opposed to another annoying hassle in our system. Like paying taxes I don’t do it because I’m stoked about my country I do it ideally so I don’t get hassled further.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    realpolitik is funny because all saying that someone's trying to do realpolitik means is that "they're trying to do the thing they think is the right decision", it just has a fancy kissinger name

If it's not from the kissinger region of France it's just sparkling bullshit

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Oh look, it's the same stupid "fearmongering over bog standard webhosting ToS language for clout" that happens with every new social media site

Vote blue no matter who!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Do we have to spend pages having a similar discussion every time someone says the word "vote"?

• Options
    Do we have to spend pages having a similar discussion every time someone says the word "vote"?

There are two wolves inside you.

• Options

Yes, it's like The Aristocrats except the punchline is what starts all the nonsense

• Options
    Yes we're all rats trapped in the same barrel eating eachother alive.

• Options

Look, page 100, time to start a new thread of non voting

• Options
    edited April 2023
    The next thread should start with a poll, that way if someone doesn’t vote we’ll know

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    The next thread should start with a poll, that way if someone doesn’t vote we’ll know

the poll should focus on how long people will stay at the online nazi bar

• Options
    Another 100 pages of Elon musk being a fudge baby covered in piss.

• Options
    I think local and even state elections are extremely important just based on some states passing anti-trans legislation while others are passing sanctuary laws.

But federally? Best case scenario I've seen is more less just pausing the baby eating machine.

So I get it

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

the poll should focus on how long people will stay at the online nazi bar

I don’t know how much was intended, but this post has layers

• Options

Showed this to wife like, "this is gonna put the Onion out of business" and she's like, "they don't even use dogs like that for that - they use working class dogs" and long story short my new pen name is Karl Barx

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Showed this to wife like, "this is gonna put the Onion out of business" and she's like, "they don't even use dogs like that for that - they use working class dogs" and long story short my new pen name is Karl Barx

This is like the same line of thought about outlawing greyhound racing. That if they shut down the tracks the breed will disappear.

Buddy if the only thing keeping a breed around is our ability to exploit it we should take a long hard look at what we're doing.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There is someone who puts together a comprehensive leftist political guide for every Chicago election, which is both very useful when you have to vote on things like Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commissioner and also it tends to be pretty funny and a good read for pointing out all the terrible campaign websites and weird bullshit that you might've missed happening in local politics.

I have a hunch that widely propagated voter guides are more effective than any amount of campaigning, because ‘doing my homework at the last minute’ is the most popular candidate in every election.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The creator mentioned recently that her guides actually screwed up the data for someone studying long-term judge retention statistics or something along those lines, so yeah, I'd expect so

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

This is like the same line of thought about outlawing greyhound racing. That if they shut down the tracks the breed will disappear.

Buddy if the only thing keeping a breed around is our ability to exploit it we should take a long hard look at what we're doing.

The continued existence of pugs immediately disproves the idea that a breed has to work as a dog, or even work as a dog, to be kept around.

This discussion has been closed.