As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I signed up for GAF 3 years ago. I decided to not play their game.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm surprised Fallout is only 5.9 gb. I may actually have enough space to install it.

elevature on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I debated installilng GTA IV, since I'm currently replaying it, but that list says only the initial load is shorter. Does that mean the loading when restarting missions is the same?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I debated installilng GTA IV, since I'm currently replaying it, but that list says only the initial load is shorter. Does that mean the loading when restarting missions is the same?

Probably. I installed Skate with no expectations other than the fact i dont have to hear the drive spinning and its the game im recently playing the most. Anything other than that is icing!

Heres a NXE question... could you get into the music media player with the old Blades? I was trying to do something last night while playing skate (It was only playing songs that started with T for some reason...) but it forced me to close the game to get into it.
    I dont remember ever having that problem before.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »

Probably. I installed Skate with no expectations other than the fact i dont have to hear the drive spinning and its the game im recently playing the most. Anything other than that is icing!

Heres a NXE question... could you get into the music media player with the old Blades? I was trying to do something last night while playing skate (It was only playing songs that started with T for some reason...) but it forced me to close the game to get into it.
    I dont remember ever having that problem before.

Pretty sure it was on the guide button... just like it is now, it has its own menu when the guide button is pressed, I havnt noticed it missing any features, I found it more usable than ever (I Have an iPod I keep hooked up to my Xbox).

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    - Rumble Roses XX (4.5GB) -- seems like 1/3 taken off loading times

The fact that someone at NeoGaf took the time to find this out is worrisome.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I... actually bought Runble Rozes XX when it first came out... :s I thought it had a pretty solid wrestling mechanic behind it. That and pretty ladies...

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I played it, solid enough wrestling mechanic, but I can't imagine still playing it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Or admitting to owning/playing it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm playing 3-4 disc based games right now, and I would kill to be able to install all of them at once, but with my 20GB drive I can only have one. It makes me sad. I'm really not that concerned about loading times, but the fact that the 360 emits like, 2/3 less noise when the drive is spun down is enough for me.

Not enough to justify the price of the 120GB drive, so I'll suffer with one game at a time installed.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, having a quiet 360 makes my PS2 sound like a fucking jet engine going off by comparison.

Also, anyone else noticing that Eternal Sonata is constantly spinning in the drive while on the dashboard?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm seriously considering picking up a 120 gig drive to replace my 20 gig drive because the decreased load times and decreased noise is awesome.

Also, if anyone else hasn't posted it, I haven't had a single DRE on Dead Rising since I installed it, which makes plenty of sense, but I wouldn't put it past that game to still piss me off. Anyway, I'm going to go for some of the more time intensive achievements now that I don't feel like I'll throw my TV through the window if it screws up on day 6 of 7-day survivor.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Man, having a quiet 360 makes my PS2 sound like a fucking jet engine going off by comparison.

Also, anyone else noticing that Eternal Sonata is constantly spinning in the drive while on the dashboard?

Actually all games spin endlessly on the dashboard now. It's kind of annoying.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

What? No.

Ranced on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I noticed when I quit out of a game to the dashboard it would still spin occasionally. I just popped the disc out.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »

What? No.

All of mine do, except for Fable, which is copied to the HDD. It'll just momentarily twitch.

If I put in any other game (RB2, Halo 3) it spins up and never stops.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »

What? No.

All of mine do, except for Fable, which is copied to the HDD. It'll just momentarily twitch.

If I put in any other game (RB2, Halo 3) it spins up and never stops.

Weird.

That's a good way to wear out the disc drive quick. That shouldn't be happening.

Ranced on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If anyone's looking to buy the Last Day, Sonic or Castle Crashers peremium theme, hold off until Friday when they'll be 180MSP instead of 250.

Also Rez HD will be 500 points. For the US only.

There are other things but those are the only ones I could remember before Major Nelson took the post down.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Damn.

Rez HD for $6.25 is a fantastic deal.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Oh I played it, solid enough wrestling mechanic, but I can't imagine still playing it.

Not even for a few mins a night :winky: :winky: D:

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Major Nelson put the deals back up on his site. Rez looks like the best deal on there.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    If anyone's looking to buy the Last Day, Sonic or Castle Crashers peremium theme, hold off until Friday when they'll be 180MSP instead of 250.

Also Rez HD will be 500 points. For the US only.

There are other things but those are the only ones I could remember before Major Nelson took the post down.

Post is up (I can see it anyway) all for the US, seems stupid, no reason this couldn't be world wide. Still not buying that Forza Theme now :v:

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh, a Black Friday marketplace deal. I wouldn't have expected that, though the only other thing that caught my eye was the GH3/WT Metallica Death Magnetic album DLC for 1000 points (down from 1440). It's also worth noting this sale is only for Gold members ... I'd love to eventually see more XBLA/Marketplace discounts for Gold members.

Anyone who doesn't buy Rez at that price will be kicked in the face. I'm sorry, it's company policy, my hands are tied.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so again you guys are talking about going to some link and not linking it?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    not really our job

major nelson was mentioned, you could have googled that

Ranced on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pff

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow - I have Rez already, and while I would have loved a deal on it, I do not mind playing full price again for that game (I have it for Dreamcast as well).

So my new XBox w/60GB Hard Drive came today right as I was leaving work, so I couldn't do anything with it. I've annoyed the Rock Band thread with my concerns about transferring my stuff over, and figured I'd ask here too just incase anyone who's upgraded like I have for the NXE has any insight into what I'll be doing tonight.

My roomate and I share my old hard drive. I sold it to him, so using a transfer cable and wiping it is out of the question, since he wants to keep his stuff. I have a memory card, and have put all my saves and everything that isn't DLC on to it. I 'moved' it, and didn't copy it, if that matters. So now all I want to know is:

-What option is better, moving my gamerprofile over via a memory card, or using the 'recover gamertag' option?

-The order I should do things would be: move over (or recover) gamertag, move saves from memory card to hard drive, go online and use the DRM tool, re-download all DLC. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/11/26/xbox-live-marketplace-black-friday-sale.aspx for deals.

Memory card would be the best method for everything. Other than that you have everything right.

Willeth on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/11/26/xbox-live-marketplace-black-friday-sale.aspx for deals.

Memory card would be the best method for everything. Other than that you have everything right.

Moving DLC is better than re-downloading it? I thought I had heard after using the DRM tool you have to re-download. If that's not the case, I'd be saving a TON of time!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    I... actually bought Runble Rozes XX when it first came out... :s I thought it had a pretty solid wrestling mechanic behind it. That and pretty ladies...

Wife bought it. It was the party game of choice before Rock Band. Actually, it's always the girls who want to play it.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Moving DLC is better than re-downloading it? I thought I had heard after using the DRM tool you have to re-download. If that's not the case, I'd be saving a TON of time!

Actually yeah that's how it is. The act of redownloading reassociates the new licence. Move your saves and profile via memory card, use the DRM tool to reassociate, and then redownload on your new box.

Willeth on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I see that Banjo-Kazooie and Aqua Teen Premium themes went up today. Does anyone have pictures of those yet?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So now I've got the NXE. It's not too hard to navigate. Installs are nice. I don't really think it's any better or worse than the blades, to be honest.

What makes me a sad panda is delisted DLC. Someone tossed me a copy of Lego Star Wars II for my 360, so I looked for the content download that unlocks all the guys from the first game, only to find it isn't there any more.

Norfair on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just a tip ... if you find yourself playing games with friends a lot on their 360s, I find that having your profile just being on your MU is the best way to go. That's what I do, and it's really convenient! No needing to "Recover Gamertag" anytime I want to play Rock Band at a friend's and still want access to my gamertag.

The only downside is that you'll have to always plug-in your memory card at home. Also, you have to be careful not to forget your MU. Fortunately, in the event you do forget it, you can always recover it as a backup.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Just a tip ... if you find yourself playing games with friends a lot on their 360s, I find that having your profile just being on your MU is the best way to go. That's what I do, and it's really convenient! No needing to "Recover Gamertag" anytime I want to play Rock Band at a friend's and still want access to my gamertag.

The only downside is that you'll have to always plug-in your memory card at home. Also, you have to be careful not to forget your MU. Fortunately, in the event you do forget it, you can always recover it as a backup.

This is also a handy solution if you have more than one Xbox at home.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Jesus man, you're the one who chewed me out for bringing something up that's mentioned "every other page" when the last time it was mentioned was NEVER in this 20 page thread, and a handful of times in the old thread that was locked a WEEK ago.

You have some problems and need to take control of them. Like stop playing thread nazi. There you go, I just fixed your life.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Jesus man, you're the one who chewed me out for bringing something up that's mentioned "every other page" when the last time it was mentioned was NEVER in this 20 page thread, and a handful of times in the old thread that was locked a WEEK ago.

You have some problems and need to take control of them. Like stop playing thread nazi. There you go, I just fixed your life.

I find it really annoying when people mention a website without linking it... I also don't like nazis.
    PARADOX

So I see that Banjo-Kazooie and Aqua Teen Premium themes went up today. Does anyone have pictures of those yet?

Also curious about this.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Considering how much I play Banjo, I feel inclined to buy the theme. I'm guessing I'd need a regular camera for a "screenshot"? Unless there's some way to do that I'm unaware of.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Considering how much I play Banjo, I feel inclined to buy the theme. I'm guessing I'd need a regular camera for a "screenshot"? Unless there's some way to do that I'm unaware of.

I just took grabs of my TV using my digital camera for the shots of the Sonic theme I took.

Turn off the flash and maybe try Macro mode.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »

Disclaimer: This guy works for Microsoft and wants your money :D

To be fair, I do the same thing :)

Willeth on