As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology

gtav_logo.jpg~original

What is GTA5?
Grand Theft Auto 5 is the latest installment of the well known open world world series.

So what can I do in this game?
What can't you do? Bike, drive, fly, run, shoot, swim. Check it out:

Can I play with my friends?
Absolutely. The announced multiplayer portion is Grand Theft Auto Online - join our Rockstar Social Club, We Are Nice Guys, and play with us! The Rockstar Social Club is platform independent, so it doesn't matter if you're playing on Xbox or PlayStation - join up!

So what's the campaign like this time around?
Join Michael, Franklin, and Trevor as they plan and execute six large heists in Los Santos. These three lovable scamps are iconic representations of past GTA protagonists - the reluctant criminal, the gang leader, and the psychopath. All three of them participate in missions together, enabling you to switch between them for different perspectives on the action. That's a first for this series.

What's this about not installing the Play disc for 360?
Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc - Install mandatory 8GB "install disc" only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-360-play-disc

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

Zilla360 wrote: »
For anyone confused about subs/scuba diving (this should really go in the OP as the question keeps on coming up):

Yellow water vehicles only, to put it simply.

Rockstar Social Club/We Are Nice Guys stuff:
jdarksun wrote: »
1) Hierarchy
Crew ranking mean something.
* If you are Muscle ("one bar"), you have not been verified and are at risk of being kicked.
* If you are a Representative ("two bars"), you are a verified member of the PA community.
* Questions? Comments? Concerns? Send somebody at the top a PM, or @ us in the thread.

2) If you're in the Club and haven't filled out this form, you're at risk of being kicked.

3) If you've submitted a request to join the Club and haven't filled out this form, you're at risk of being ignored.

4) The Social Club website is a little wonky, so bear with us as we work it out. Expect it to be crippled for the few days after launch.

jdarksun on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to having something I can roll around online with PAers again. I missed you guys.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ditto, I've not played a game with a big group in the longest time. Think we might get a second copy so my girlfriend can join in too, now that she's getting into GTA.

edit: Some information for people - get in the same crew as all the other lovely people here by joining up to We Are Nice Guys - http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/we_are_nice_guys

Then, like, go on Lifeinvader and click things, I guess? I don't know if hitting 'stalk' actually gets you any in-game benefits or not, but it can't hurt: http://www.lifeinvader.com/

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Gonna stalk everybody. Also order from greenmangaming says 'in transit'.... Do they lie?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Gonna stalk everybody. Also order from greenmangaming says 'in transit'.... Do they lie?
    Guaranteed release day delivery would probably need to be in the mail. I didn't even realize GMG did physical media!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    darleysam wrote: »
    Ditto, I've not played a game with a big group in the longest time. Think we might get a second copy so my girlfriend can join in too, now that she's getting into GTA.

edit: Some information for people - get in the same crew as all the other lovely people here by joining up to We Are Nice Guys - http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/we_are_nice_guys

Then, like, go on Lifeinvader and click things, I guess? I don't know if hitting 'stalk' actually gets you any in-game benefits or not, but it can't hurt: http://www.lifeinvader.com/

Ooh, looks pretty clear from that that stalking each of those pages will get you the discount in-game. Might be worth waiting until you've waded a bit into the game and not dump it on your first purchase though. Here's the pages you need:

Los Santos Customs - Free paint job
    Herr Kutz - First haircut free
    Ink Inc. - First tattoo free
    Sprunk - first Sprunk free
    Elitas - 10% off first purchase
    Legendary Motorsport - 10% off first purchase
    Redwood Cigarettes - 10% off first hospital stay
    Warstock Cache & Carry - 10% off first purchase

Willeth on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man. I wonder how long I'll spend reading the fake internet in the game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    You know, I never explored that fully in IV. I wonder if there were different sites/shows etc in the DLCs.

• Options
    Hell, I still need to explore Liberty City more thoroughly. Never did finish that walking tour I planned to do.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Going to have to buy a new router before this game comes out.

Apparently the one I have doesn't play nice having two Xboxes on at the same time and I've been having trouble getting my NAT open because of it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    FYI, there are also a bunch of personal accounts of people I assume are in the game. I got them by clicking on the site logo at the top it randomly go to different pages.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Probably gonna get in with We Are Nice Guys, frist multi I've been excited about for years upon years.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    GameFly just received the copy of The Last Of Us I sent back, GTAV is the only game in the queue, no stopping this train now!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Finally pre-ordered, went with 360 in the end. Can't imagine the performance will be much different at this point.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    GameFly just received the copy of The Last Of Us I sent back, GTAV is the only game in the queue, no stopping this train now!
    You're dancing the edge of sanity, Allforce.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So is We Are Nice Guys cross console? Will we be able to play in Free Roam with other folks? :o

Also I have not rejoined, but put me down for position of busta, straight busta

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Just joined We Are Nice Guys... JMan711.. will be on xbox as JMan711.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Pre-ordered on the PS3 last night. I'm not resubbing Gold to play this, especially since I am going PS4 first this coming generation.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    You're dancing the edge of sanity, Allforce.

I'm like a 7+ year member, my method is foolproof for all new releases! And it's already listed as Keep It for 44.95!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    So is We Are Nice Guys cross console? Will we be able to play in Free Roam with other folks? :o

Also I have not rejoined, but put me down for position of busta, straight busta

The Crew is cross-console, but the game itself obviously won't be. 360 and PS3 players can both join up, but in-game you'll only be able to play with those on the same platform as you.

edit: if this is something you already know, then disregard, I just went overboard on answering the question I think is there. Carry on!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    So as a crew Lieutenant, I can basically only demote people right? I will aggressively pursue anyone who is anti Thin Mint cookies.

• Options
    So as a crew Lieutenant, I can basically only demote people right? I will aggressively pursue anyone who is anti Thin Mint cookies.
    Thin Mints are good.

But Oreos are better.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was phrasing that poorly; I was hoping that folks in the Crew would just be appearing at any time in a joint Free Roam, rather than having to set up a specific game session.

But then I guess the specifics of how multiplayer works are a mystery anyway

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Thin Mints are good.

But Oreos are better.

I will accept this stance.

• Options
    Man, I wish Crews got pages in LifeInvader were you could post stuff both from the website and in game on the website.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Still cool that the crew is cross-console. I'm not holding my breath for ever seeing cross-console play for anything. Honestly I think the concept of a console as we know it will die before we see that as a feature.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I joined up for the 360. Names is the same as here.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Joined as A.Lurker.Above. PS3 and inevitable PC release.

• Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Thin Mints are good.

But Oreos are better.

Behold My Glory!
    02391CF.gif

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    Thin Mints are good.

But Oreos are better.

Behold My Glory!
    02391CF.gif

Demoted.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Thin Mints are good.

But Oreos are better.

Behold My Glory!
    02391CF.gif

This goes very well with your signature. Heisenberg's new product.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I love the fact that Rockstar's Facebook analogue is called LifeInvader.

Got all those coupons, so bring on the game.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

We Are Nice Guys: We're in the Empire business.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I have just joined up under 'TheBrayster'. I will definitely be picking this up for PC, but I am very much teetering on the edge of getting it for my 360 as well (provided the internet in my new flat allows for LIVE)

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I gotta put in my order for this + a flash drive to Amazon because I have an ooooold 360

Originally I wasn't going to resub to Gold for this but a) my friend just joined and b) I've never been able to get in on the ground floor for PA multiplayer in any game, so I kind of figure what the hell

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    review embargo lifts monday morning.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    This may have Lready been discussed but I'm rewatching official gta v videos and in trailer 2 I swear I hear John Malkovich talking to Michael about his son.

Star turn as a creepy headmaster?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So Game Informer has a Hands On with GTA Online

Just a taste.
    To show me the breadth of the GTA Online experience, I'm handed a DualShock to assume control of a previously created character. My first indoctrination into the criminal underworld of Los Santos is a standard stick-up job.

My partner in crime rolls up in a sports car, and I hop into the passenger seat. While riding shotgun, I can control the radio station, set waypoints on the map, marvel at the scenery using the cinematic camera, or take potshots at unsuspecting pedestrians on the sidewalk with my SMG.

We arrive at the liquor store, and my partner volunteers to stay outside while I do the dirty work. Before heading into the shop, I hold the select button down to pull up the player interaction menu. Here, I can change my outfit, alter the gesture I can perform at will (I settle on flipping dual birds), access my inventory, and equip a mask for situations such as these that require anonymity. I throw on the devil mask, take a quick selfie with my phone to chronicle my exploits, and head into the store.

I barge in with my gun pointed at the cashier, who immediately starts emptying the register – he's clearly done this before. The transfer is taking too long, so I shout at him to hurry up through my headset, which he acknowledges. To drive my sense of urgency home I shoot a few of the booze bottles behind him.

With the $1,500 score in my hands, I head toward the door. Before I exit, I hear a gunshot – this clerk was packing heat! Rather than return fire, I hightail it to the getaway car considering we already have a two-star wanted level. The cops have already been alerted to my position, so I hop behind the wheel to begin the traditional song and dance between cops and robbers. To avoid getting busted I must keep the car out of the vision cones of the several cop cars circling the neighborhood. I focus on driving while my partner keeps an eye on their location on the radar and shouts out directions. We stay out of sight long enough to lose the wanted level, which means it's time to split up the dough.
    With the race coming to a close (I lost), we then attempt a more structured mission. A shipment of Maibatsu bikes is due to arrive at a warehouse, and for a healthy price our contact wants us to divert that shipment to him.

Four of us agree to take on the mission, which opens up a lobby window on the screen. Here, each player gets to choose his or her role. I volunteer to be the sniper, while the other guys accept the roles of lookout and transporter. The crew leader can also tweak mission settings like the time of day, weather, degree of difficulty, and the number of lives we have to complete the mission.

With everything set, we ride together to the industrial area. The game issues everyone different mission priorities just like it would in a single-player mission. I am instructed to climb the ladder of a nearby building to gain a vantage point. Moving up, I stealthily take down a guy perched on the roof and slide into cover.

From this position I can see several armed men standing around the big-rig. Once everyone is in their places I open fire with the sniper rifle, clearing the way for the transporters to reach the truck. With gunfire hailing all around, I spend too much time out of cover and get clipped by a bullet. Every death uses one of the lives the team has to complete the mission. I respawn nearby, and by the time I reach the scene of the crime we already have control of the semi-truck. I hop in another car and provide escort for the vehicle.

Several cars give chase to the rig, and our job is to run them off the road before they can cause it to crash. After an intense battle on the interstate we exit, lose the pursuit by turning onto a dirt road, and safely reach the hideout.

Damn this keeps sounding better and better.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I liked this line myself..
    "I've always felt character creators in games to be a bit wacky - pulling the ears and noses to change the way they look seems wrong," says Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies. "That's not how humans are made in the real world. Normally it involves a man, a woman, and some sexy time.

"This is the basis of how we do it in Grand Theft Auto Online: Choose your mum, dad, and grandparents, then out pops your character. You then spend time choosing your lifestyle, making choices about the kinds of things your character spends time doing, whether they spend more time partying or sitting on the couch or doing criminal activities than sleeping and being athletic - and your character is complete."

The skills you start with are based on the lifestyle you have chosen for your character, but just like the three GTA V protagonists, you can upgrade your various skills, buy new property, and customize your look by spending money on haircuts, tattoos, and clothing.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    5 more days.....so far away :(

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you get robbed by another player and demand satisfaction, you can put a bounty on his or her head.

Hahahahahah...

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.