Options

SPECIAL UPDATE: [SUPERHERO] WAR!!!

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Blackagar Boltagon is a stupid name. Even in the context of comic books.

there. that felt good to get off my chest.

I know but I love it

I love it so much

Noir Dart is sitting right there unused.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    There's a point when unnecessarily making someone's code name come from their actual name becomes amazing in how dumb it is.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I'm betting in the movie they just say his name is Blackbolt.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's a point when unnecessarily making someone's code name come from their actual name becomes amazing in how dumb it is.

Look, you can turn your real name into a Star Wars name just by swapping around the syllables in your first, middle, and last name.

No need to use all the syllables, mind. Once you've gotten three to five of them together (total, counting both first and last name), just discard the rest.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    To clarify, Black Bolt is cool. His costume and powers and him being a king, all that stuff is cool. His name's cool.

The mute thing and no one just handing him pen and paper, or a dry erase board, or a cellphone (so he can text) or hell, having him learn sign language and communicate through an interpreter

That's dumb

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    the basic problem with inhumans is just that the characters aren't interesting

you got can't talk guy, hairmaster, karnak, meme dog

those are the four inhumans! there may be others. i didn't remember them because they weren't interesting
    Well that's kind of why Marvel has been expanding them a lot?

Kamala, Inferno, Iso, Reader, etc.

They've been introducing lots of good new Inhuman characters outside of the Royal Family

Still makes me wonder why they haven't been using Crystal much, as traditionally she's the sort of everyman Inhuman who makes the rest of them seem more relatable.
    She is the lead character in All-New Inhumans and leading the diplomatic party of the Inhumans that travels the globe in the wake of the Terrigen cloud to help newly formed Inhumans' awakening and also ease diplomatic tension with their home nations.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she's the PoV character for the Inhumans movie. Her new look is great, and she's got awesome powers. It'd make a lot of sense.

I think the way to do an Inhumans movie plot would be to make Crystal the audience surrogate while focusing on the Game of Thrones-esque court dynamics. Blackbolt is this extremely powerful but enigmatic figure, orbited by people like Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Maximus, etc, who all interpret his silence differently and nobody knows his true intentions until he acts. Some crisis occurs, and a lot of the drama comes from all these characters pursuing their own plots, trying to act in the way they think Blackbolt wants them to or in a way that will make him do what they want. Crystal is our eyes through all of this, and she sees what the true nature of the problem is and what the moral course of action should be. In the end, it's her basic (in)humanity that cuts through all the bullshit and stirs Blackbolt to action. Then he rises from his throne, and all the courtiers who were pursuing their own selfish or shortsighted ends (with the excuse/rationalization of "this is what King Blackbolt wants!") are proven wrong by his actual deeds.

Also, Crystal pals around with Lockjaw for the whole movie and Marvel makes billions in teleporting bulldog merchandise.

The thing with Blackbolt is this
    His silence thing is ridiculous

Even Snake-Eyes just learned sign language, if I'm remembering the Marvel version correctly. I think Scarlett and Storm Shadow were the only people who learned it though.

I remember him writing on paper a couple times too.

Man , now I want like an angry Medusa to force Blackbolt into wearing a Dry Erase board on a string around his neck, just frustratedly scrawling things all over it and making people read it in a huff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32L_Mq4KbEo

?

ahaha I'd forgotten about the hips bit :heartbeat:

I never noticed the hip thing before, that is hilarious.

I need to watch it all again. ALL. OF. IT.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    To clarify, Black Bolt is cool. His costume and powers and him being a king, all that stuff is cool. His name's cool.

The mute thing and no one just handing him pen and paper, or a dry erase board, or a cellphone (so he can text) or hell, having him learn sign language and communicate through an interpreter

That's dumb

It's the Quiet Problem (MGS V). Well, one of them.

those are the four inhumans! there may be others. i didn't remember them because they weren't interesting

They've been introducing lots of good new Inhuman characters outside of the Royal Family

Still makes me wonder why they haven't been using Crystal much, as traditionally she's the sort of everyman Inhuman who makes the rest of them seem more relatable.
    She is the lead character in All-New Inhumans and leading the diplomatic party of the Inhumans that travels the globe in the wake of the Terrigen cloud to help newly formed Inhumans' awakening and also ease diplomatic tension with their home nations.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she's the PoV character for the Inhumans movie. Her new look is great, and she's got awesome powers. It'd make a lot of sense.

I think the way to do an Inhumans movie plot would be to make Crystal the audience surrogate while focusing on the Game of Thrones-esque court dynamics. Blackbolt is this extremely powerful but enigmatic figure, orbited by people like Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Maximus, etc, who all interpret his silence differently and nobody knows his true intentions until he acts. Some crisis occurs, and a lot of the drama comes from all these characters pursuing their own plots, trying to act in the way they think Blackbolt wants them to or in a way that will make him do what they want. Crystal is our eyes through all of this, and she sees what the true nature of the problem is and what the moral course of action should be. In the end, it's her basic (in)humanity that cuts through all the bullshit and stirs Blackbolt to action. Then he rises from his throne, and all the courtiers who were pursuing their own selfish or shortsighted ends (with the excuse/rationalization of "this is what King Blackbolt wants!") are proven wrong by his actual deeds.

Also, Crystal pals around with Lockjaw for the whole movie and Marvel makes billions in teleporting bulldog merchandise.

Even Snake-Eyes just learned sign language, if I'm remembering the Marvel version correctly. I think Scarlett and Storm Shadow were the only people who learned it though.

Man , now I want like an angry Medusa to force Blackbolt into wearing a Dry Erase board on a string around his neck, just frustratedly scrawling things all over it and making people read it in a huff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32L_Mq4KbEo

?

ahaha I'd forgotten about the hips bit :heartbeat:

...I put my headphones in to watch this video, despite immediately knowing what it was.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

He knows sign language. The rest of the royal family also knows him well enough to translate for him.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness, Marvel cast a guy named Wong to play Wong in Doctor Strange.

Also a very interesting choice for the character, a bit older and not a martial arts type of guy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/martian-actor-nabs-key-doctor-858155

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You expect a Black Bolt to write dainty little messages on a note pad? He's a friggen King. He has people to speak for him.

• Options

Also a very interesting choice for the character, a bit older and not a martial arts type of guy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/martian-actor-nabs-key-doctor-858155

And his first name is also Benedict.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    On Mutant talk, wasn't their move to San Fransisco a positive one? Like didn't they have a much easier time living out there for awhile (until the Phoenix stuff) then they did in New York?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Yay, Wong made it in! I was a little worried for a while there.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

That's dumb

He does three of those things, and two of them in the past three issues of Uncanny Inhumans.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    On Mutant talk, wasn't their move to San Fransisco a positive one? Like didn't they have a much easier time living out there for awhile (until the Phoenix stuff) then they did in New York?

I think it was Osborn rather than Pheonix which made them move to Utopia, but yeah, for a little while they were fine in SF.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Black Bolt uses his silence in the most awesome passive agressive way possible, leaving it to the rest to figure out what he meant and picks any explanation they come up with that suits him.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Don't the Inhumans have a gadget-maker that could make a wrist-thing that interprets Blackbolt's hand gestures and projects a hologram of text in front of him (or outputs voice)? With the other inventions in the Marvel Universe, that one doesn't seem to be so hard to make.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Considering how the Inhumans are getting their powers in the MCU, Black Trout may be a more appropriate name.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Black Bilt being able to easily communicate would get rid of one of the few things that make him a i teresting character

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    They should go full Flame Alphabet on Black Bolt

He tries to learn sign language, and once he does his signs cause massive waves of force whenever he makes them

Things he has written become essentially highly effective letter bombs, ripping the reader to shreds

Soon even his facial expressions and body language become impossible to behold, shattering waves of force that emanate from his every motion whenever he has an observer

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    have none of you ever played an RPG with a point-buy character creation system? You can't take a major flaw to get some extra points to spend on your characters powers and abilities, and then turn around and negate that flaw with some easy workaround. The DM will just punish your metagaming by penalizing your character in another way. If Black Bolt could suddenly easily converse with people, he'd end up getting his vocal cords wrecked within 3-4 issues.

It's like when Professor X's paralysis was cured because Sikorsky grew him a clone body and his mind was transferred into it but the psychosomatic pain was still so bad that he couldn't concentrate enough to use his powers and his legs at the same time, and keeps ending up back in the wheelchair one way or another. Same with movie Xavier in First Class. You fix your flaw, you lose your powers, it's how the world works.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

This is really cool casting

That guy had a great, warm presence in The Martian and I'm happy to see him in another big thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Marvel establishing actor monopoly on people named Chris and Benedict.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Anyone wanting to hit it big in Hollywood would be well advised to legally change their name to Chris Benedict right now.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Finally, a chance for Dirk Benedict to come back into the limelight.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Benedict Christopher

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    How many sides does a boltagon have?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    How many sides does a boltagon have?

Two.

An inside and an outside.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Isn't a boltagon a Space Marine's sacred weapon?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    As many sides as a Moebius strip

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    They'll probably end up doing the same thing as Justice League when portraying Vixen's powers, showing a silhouette of the animal with an accompanying sound effect when she's using the power.

I mean, that's what they did in the Arrowverse Vixen cartoon

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hrm

I am hoping that last hidden Thunderbolts figure is a big surprise because otherwise what is the point of doing the whole gradual reveal when it is literally the original team plus a weird kid probably from Standoff instead of Songbird

Still interested in the book as long as it has a good creative team

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What if it's Death's Head

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Stumbled onto watching this dc legends of tomorrow thing, it is so silly

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Benedict Christopher

Christoph "Benny" Downey Jr.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    They'll probably end up doing the same thing as Justice League when portraying Vixen's powers, showing a silhouette of the animal with an accompanying sound effect when she's using the power.

I mean, that's what they did in the Arrowverse Vixen cartoon

That was produced and directed by James Tucker, who also worked on Justice League and came up with the design for Vixen on that show.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Probably just going to be Citizen V. Wasn't he in that all new marvel preview a while back?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, but is it going to be Zemo or a different character. Maybe General Ross will be leading them.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It definitely could be Citizen V but I wouldn't be too surprised if they were using his image as shorthand for Thunderbolts and he isn't necessarily on the team

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.