As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The cover mechanic is super duper concerning.

Also, you know, basically everything they did with CoH 2. Like incredibly shitty random unlock drops. Words can't describe how awful that is.

Also, soooooo much bad DLC. Which you can avoid, but come on, some of it was blatantly hiding superior units and commanders behind a paywall. Thank god I don't give a hoot about competitive RTS.

Edit: And blegh, the spesh mehreen body proportions look very silly. Really killing my heretic purging boner.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The fact that Company of Heroes 2 was a boondoggle from the UI to the gameplay to the business surrounding it is just one of many things that gives me pause

The only reason I am still tentatively excited is because I think they've learned a lot of lessons since that game launched

And heck, Relic has never properly balanced a game. They basically gave up after Dark Crusade added another like four races, and then Soulstorm brought the total to nine, and then the only multiplayer that really stuck around for 2 was that Last Stand stuff that I liked conceptually but never really understood. Meanwhile, CoH1 couldn't even balance four playable factions or even make certain matchups on certain maps possible at all (fucking British, why did my favorite faction have to have zero anti-tank...)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    On the plus side, those devious fucks put all the Dawn of War games on sale just in time for this announcement, and now I own Soulstorm for the first time

I'm gonna give the sequel another go too, see if the campaign doesn't hook me better. Were those expansions any good? They always seemed really slight to me, considering how the first game added so much with each expansion post-Winter Assault

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If they allow cosmetic changes, spring out cosmetic dlc, or try to make army building closer to the tabletop by allowing more personalization like I believe they said they would try to do in journalist interviews with Relic pre-THQ crash, I would spring for cosmetic army packs immediately. Valhallans with bonus Commisar Cain elite hero, Vostroyans, Elysians, Harakoni, Tanith 1st and Only with bonus Ibram Gaunt, Last Chancers with bonus colonel Schaeffer and Lieutenant Kage (who would look like Kurt Russel), I would buy all of that shit.

they just opened up community skins for company of heroes 2.

actually a lot of what they talked about for dawn of war 3 is being added to Company of heroes 2.

base building will be a thing in the next patch.

I do hate the random drops in company but again the are working toward fixing the system. There are open beta sign ups right now to test out the new system

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I do hate the random drops in company but again the are working toward fixing the system. There are open beta sign ups right now to test out the new system
    Hasn't that been going on for years now?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    On the plus side, those devious fucks put all the Dawn of War games on sale just in time for this announcement, and now I own Soulstorm for the first time

I'm gonna give the sequel another go too, see if the campaign doesn't hook me better. Were those expansions any good? They always seemed really slight to me, considering how the first game added so much with each expansion post-Winter Assault

The banner. Raise the banner!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Hmm, don't forget Lightning claw terminators which were good against...everything. Hard to kill to boot.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Hmm, don't forget Lightning claw terminators which were good against...everything. Hard to kill to boot.

Wasn't that during that weird Winter Assault period where it was hard-counter-land and T3>T2>T1 ?

I don't think even Relic knew what the heck happened back then.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I much perfered the DoW 2 style of game play but will happily play a DoW 1 style game.

Also where are my Tau? I must fight for the Greater Good.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I really didn't get on with DoW2. Micromanaging little units in an RTS is not my idea of fun, especially not when it's a 40k game. (if the 3 men squads had at least been five man...) I did enjoy it, for the story at least, but it did my head in online. There was none of the scale and the back-and-forth that I loved about DoW1.

I'm definitely in the 'build a big base, send huge army at enemy, watch' crowd. I hate micro so much. I'd much rather just give my units generic 'go hold this point' or 'go kill those guys' orders, and let them work out cover and positioning myself. I want to feel like a general, I guess - no general sits there constantly correcting his squads' positions; he trusts them to make those kind of calls themselves! Let me deal with the big position, grand flanking manoeuvres and so on.

Also <3 base building. It's not an RTS without that for me.

I'm definitely looking forward to this though.

Lezta on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    As someone who only plays the campaign in the Dawn of War series, not the multi, I loved the RPG-lite loot campaign that Dawn of War 2 had.

Played so much of those games.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    I liked the rpg elements but there's just something about company of heroes gameplay that I can't mesh with. Maybe to much micro...the total lack of macro?

As for the "thin" space marines it was probably not intentional but it put me in mind of how the long war veterens...original legion marines view current marines who have less modified organs and are generally described as smaller.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »

The first expansion adds a faction and a decent length expansion to singleplayer. Basically another half campaign or so, with a morality meter and multiple endings.

The second adds another faction and a new campaign, which lets you play as any of the six factions. Different units and narration, similar-to-identical missions. But for one go, it's pretty fun. It also moves to more of a halfway house between conventional RTS stuff and DOW II's main campaign, with multiple unit groups. The Impy Goo is playable again, and they have some of their finest heroes. Lord General Castor is somehow both the winner of the Upper-class twit of the year award and a fucking genius hero of the imperium. You know how most campaigns in Dawn of War center around fucking everything up at one point or another and then sorting out your mistake with a lot of luck?

That's not how Castor rolls. Castor outplans centuries old demons, then fucks their shit up with armies of regular dudes with lasers, finishing things off by running in personally to chop off some Space Marine heads, because Castor is a fucking badass who can summon Leman Russ battletanks from midair in the middle of a space hulk, as the universe itself doesn't dare tell him "no".

Plus, he has the Imperium's finest mustache.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Lord General Castor

Lord General Freddie Stalin "Mercury" Melchett-Castor, hero of the the Imperium!

Cadians! He's got them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt4XBhcKVs0

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So I'll start by saying I haven't played in awhile, so things may have changed. If they add a Last Stand 2 to this, I hope they add a bunch more loot options! I was really surprised by the lack of different gear options in that mode. Heck, make the waves drop different loot for different classes so that you can slowly build up your gear collection. It just felt like such a missed opportunity to me, and I really liked last stand too.

Of course I also enjoyed the planet conquering campaign of Dow 1 as well as a nice skirmish sim. That was a lot of fun, but I actually like base building. If they keep to the cover system, I hope they make the units a bit smarter about their abilities. I like squads that can use their own upgrades rather than me micro managing everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    personally, I WOULD like to see a return to DoW1's depth, but hopefully they can do so without sacrificing what made DoW2 great and unique. the cover mechanics were essential to that experience so I hope the new system is still comprehensive enough to encourage that kind of gameplay. as well, as it has been mentioned, Relic has a tremendously poor history with balance. as someone who competed heavy in both CoH and DoW2 i would not look forward to a return to more Relic balance nightmares.

otherwise, i just want more dawn of war. i'm pretty sure that no matter how this game turns out I'm going to pick it up and play it to death. it's just...been so long ;_;

BRING ME MY FORCE COMMANDER

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    tbh the cover mechanics and the gameplay in the relic cover based games was ... sluggish.
    I preferred the dow1 style where you could stutterstep etc. the game was fast and responsive.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    personally, I WOULD like to see a return to DoW1's depth, but hopefully they can do so without sacrificing what made DoW2 great and unique. the cover mechanics were essential to that experience so I hope the new system is still comprehensive enough to encourage that kind of gameplay. as well, as it has been mentioned, Relic has a tremendously poor history with balance. as someone who competed heavy in both CoH and DoW2 i would not look forward to a return to more Relic balance nightmares.

otherwise, i just want more dawn of war. i'm pretty sure that no matter how this game turns out I'm going to pick it up and play it to death. it's just...been so long ;_;

bring me my greyhound getting fucked by a puma

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Paks all day, every day.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Paks all day, every day.

So, Sisters of Battle, then?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Here's hoping the Dark Eldar make an expansion!

Burnage on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    As long as I can paint my entire army bright metallic pink I'll be a fan.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Here's hoping the Dark Eldar make an expansion!

A Mechanicus/Dark Eldar expansion would be the best expansion

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I love that the Blood Ravens are huge fanboys who secretly want all the awesome First Founding chapters to like them, and so they steal all their stuff and try to get Sempai to notice them... and it pisses them off even more.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    As long as I can paint my entire army bright metallic pink I'll be a fan.

can't wait for the return of the tycho casts

• Options
    I love that the Blood Ravens are huge fanboys who secretly want all the awesome First Founding chapters to like them, and so they steal all their stuff and try to get Sempai to notice them... and it pisses them off even more.

Wait what?

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Can I ask a question about the final single player mission in Chaos Rising?
    I've got a friendly AI player that I'm supposed to support after I've driven the two tanks around. He just hangs around in one spot and then goes in one direction or the other when enemies spawn. He didn't follow me when I pushed and killed Eliphas, and isn't following need to attack the main demon boss. Am I supposed to clear s hidden best or something to make him follow me, or am I supposed to do the rest on my own?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I am cautiously optimistic. Dark crusade is one of my favorite games ever.

But

DoW2 was one of the worst balanced games I have ever played. Every patch was janked out in new and wondrous ways.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options

Wait what?

Behold the collection of loot the Blood Ravens have "preserved" from other Chapters.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Ravens

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Wait what?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Ravens#Bloody_Magpies

Basically, if you read most of the fluff text on all the wargear in the DoW2 + xpac campaigns, there is a lot of "We made this to honor First Founding chapter X who are our best friends!" or "First Founding chapter X gave this to us to show how much they like us!" Usually followed by the FF chapter saying, "No, we did not give you that, we are not your friends, why do you have that in the first place?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    While I loved Dawn of War 2, the infuriating cover seeking AI destroyed that game for me. The numerous times an enemy hero escaped on 1 hp because units refused to fucking shoot instead of scurrying about confused looking for cover was too much for me. I am glad they have decided to change the cover to a more static system if they weren't going to fix that AI issue (and it wouldn't be an easy one to correct either). I'm also not unhappy about larger armies and upping the scale to near titan level units either.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Wait what?

The flavor text for loot in Dawn of War 2 and the expansions tends to be based around one of two things as you get the cool stuff

1) No-one knows how (IMPORTANT IMPERIUM OR CHAOS FIGURE) lost this, but it's the Blood Ravens's now!
    2) The Blood Ravens made this as a gift for (chapter). They laughed and kicked sand into the Blood Raven's faces.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have never played a Dawn of War game (I have COH, but never actually played much. I remember kinda enjoying what I played, though) Is it mostly "Capture the Node" type stuff with supply drops, or what?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I have never played a Dawn of War game (I have COH, but never actually played much. I remember kinda enjoying what I played, though) Is it mostly "Capture the Node" type stuff with supply drops, or what?

DOW1 is "capture the node" until you win, and/or base destruction. It's more in line with StarCraft with base building.

DOW2 has one base building (which if you lose, you're out), it's still capture the node, but it's far more focused, and heroes are more front and center this time around. DOW2 campaign is far more RPG than that, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

Makes me wonder if the other characters are going to be returning or if it's just going to be Gabriel Angelos.

Hope they keep the same VA for him. Dude would sound epic reading the frigging tax code.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Dawn of War 1 is mostly a standard RTS with some cool wrinkles.

First, you recruit squads, not individual infantry units. A standard Spesss Mehreen squad comes with 4 troopers; you can then reinforce them up to 8 total and you can assign special weapons to them - this squad has 4 heavy machine guns ("heavy bolters") and is great at area denial, this one has plasma pistols and can shred armor on the move, etc. Vehicles work the same way but are generally singletons - you build a tank, and can then upgrade the main gun or the supporting guns depending on the role you want it to fulfill.

You have 3 types of resources: Requisiton, Power, and Capacity. Capacity is how many troops you can control, and is split vehicle / infantry. Power is created by power generators that you build in your base. Requisition points are earned over time by capturing and reinforcing strategic points on the map - the more of the map you control, the more points you have to build your stuff.

Cover is important - there are areas on the map that are marked as high cover and low cover, and standing in them gives sizeable defensive benefits. E.g., some high cover is a great place to station a heavy bolter-reinforced Space Marine squad.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Matrias wrote: »
    The studio has experimented with different singleplayer formats over the years, from the territorial system map of Soulstorm to more conventional linear campaigns.

Untitled12.gif~c200

Relic didn't make Soulstorm, and the Risk styled campaign map started with Dark Crusade, they just expanded it with Soulstorm.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    with soul storm there was like a year of "we aren't responsible for soul storm, we didn't make it" before we moved on to acceptance that it had become our responsibility. we patched some exploits iron lore shipped with it, but it was hard because even though it was our tech a bunch of stuff got changed.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    It's fun if you play IG, you just bunker and massacre everything that comes at you. And then BANEBLADE. And you win. It's very relaxing. Also airstrikes and Earthshakers.