As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    i have an atomic furnace, it can't make them?

are you confusing them with silicon board

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is the screen flickering a lot a known thing or am I a special flower?
    Get it? Because I'm a floran.
    named Bayonettle
    It generally starts happening whenever I find a heavily populated settlement or visit the more populated side of the outpost.

There was a patch note that said the screen will purposely flicker if you use bad puns to name yourself.
    Hey.

Professor Bananas didn't choose the name.

The name chose Professor Bananas.

doctor jan troglodytes

she's not a real doctor, do not take any pills she gives you

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    In keeping with the Space Mutiny theme that I can't seem to break free from, I am of course "Slab Largemeat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is there a fast way to farm Upgrade Modules?

I get crew faster than Upgrade Modules.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Find a village, loot every crate.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I've been doing that for ages. Oh well. Thanks.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    You can actually craft sticks of ram with a upgraded furnace

Unless something changed in 1.0.3, Sticks of RAM are drop-only. Robots near the gnome-housing biomes are your best bet, but they are rare.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I read that you can remove any unwanted cows with lava.

Modern factory farming methods in the US really are brutal.

Wait what thread am I in?

Hey, using lava to kill pigs and cows is just cutting out the middleman. Now have a burger and some ribs...slightly charred.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I've been doing that for ages. Oh well. Thanks.

I found a bunch in one of those flooded hylotl cities. But I've only found the one, so anecdotes, eh.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    How the hell do I quick store items? Do I really have to drag and drop? And is it naturally to be getting murderated by enemies on this first planet? Died like 10 times doing corpse runs.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shift-click to move a stack to/from a container, shift-right click to pick up half a stack. The game's tutorial is kind of... nonexistant. It feels like it assumes you've played a lot of these types of games before, and if someone hasn't then it's probably pretty daunting.

Dropping items on death and so needing to do corpse runs for survival difficulty is exactly why I started over on casual. That and being able to beam to the ship from anywhere now. I don't have the patience for that kind of busy work.

• Options
    So. . .navigating back to a corpse after digging for hours with no map system. Not. . .fun? Especially when it doesn't beam you down anywhere near where you were?

• Options
    That's why I tend to only mine near the teleport-in point.

• Options

I guess that's what I should have done. I thought I needed to mine where the stupid quest was. Now I can't actually find my shit and I'm really soured on the game. The normal difficulty, is just obnoxious it seems in the beginning. Like I had enough Iron to build an anvil. . .but dropped it all. Ugh. And I had like 100 silver and BARELY any iron? What?

I'll pick it up again (because I bought it and no take backs), but god damn. At least tell me how to repair the fucking pickaxe so mining isn't a fucking chore.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

I guess that's what I should have done. I thought I needed to mine where the stupid quest was. Now I can't actually find my shit and I'm really soured on the game. The normal difficulty, is just obnoxious it seems in the beginning. Like I had enough Iron to build an anvil. . .but dropped it all. Ugh. And I had like 100 silver and BARELY any iron? What?

I'll pick it up again (because I bought it and no take backs), but god damn. At least tell me how to repair the fucking pickaxe so mining isn't a fucking chore.

Pickaxes are single use items. Once its durability runs out, it's done. But you'll find more eventually. And you'll be able to upgrade the matter manipulator to be better anyway.

You can mine anywhere really, I just mine near the spawn for conveniences sake. I try to leave a clear trail of torches on the walls so I know the way back.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    My trick for deep mining is to dig until I'm tired of digging, then find one of those unstable portals to a challenge dimension and die inside it. Bam, back home, no items dropped.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    My trick for deep mining is to dig until I'm tired of digging, then find one of those unstable portals to a challenge dimension and die inside it. Bam, back home, no items dropped.

Still on first planet, first mission. :/

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Still on first planet, first mission. :/

I found one on a starter world. It was built on bones and I accidentally collapsed it. Silver lining, I was on my hardcore Nova Pirate and probably saved myself a wipe.

He later slipped into a lava pit from which he couldn't escape on his way back from getting his core fragments. Hardcore is an insane proposition.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Yeah i was getting Silicon board mixed up with Ram sticks.

Always lay waste to gnome villages you can get hats and if you're really lucky a gun that shoots rainbows

• Options
    And is it naturally to be getting murderated by enemies on this first planet? Died like 10 times doing corpse runs.

I think so

I guess they're trying to capture the feel a lot of people got their first nightfall in minecraft? get your shit wrecked in the beginning, make you scared of things

like those god-awful lickitung bats

but hey

used to be you could freeze to death

• Options
    So my computer totally fucked itself up while I was playing Starbound.

My save got corrupted.

My backup was like 10-15 hours of progress old.

So I started a new character and cheated my way back to most of my old inventory.

I still have to do the first few quests which kind of sucks.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

My save got corrupted.

So I started a new character and cheated my way back to most of my old inventory.

I think there are commands to complete quests? But I'm not sure.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

My save got corrupted.

I think there are commands to complete quests? But I'm not sure.

There were for sure in some of the earlier versions, but I don't know if they're still in the game or what they would be of if they are

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    you can spawn items for the quests that want items [except for the erchmine, sorry. it does not want an item even though it says that it does], and for missions you can make yourself invincible and the terrain destructible

but I don't think there is actually a command specifically for marking a quest complete, so you can speed up the rigamarole but not avoid it entirely

• Options
    Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Either way, yeah you can admin the shit out of things to speed the process along.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yea, this isn't the game for me. Restarted on a new planet that was much more giving in the initial stages. Then get to the Mining Facility and. . .restart the whole thing if you die. Yea. I'm out. I can take losing shit on death and being meticulous with your navigation, but having to redo a slog of a level because you get stuck between enemies that do massive damage and can hit you through planes that you can't shoot through? I'm done. Unfortunately I'm sure I'm past the "tryout" phase for STEAM so I'm stuck with this license.

Meh.

• Options
    Yea, this isn't the game for me. Restarted on a new planet that was much more giving in the initial stages. Then get to the Mining Facility and. . .restart the whole thing if you die. Yea. I'm out. I can take losing shit on death and being meticulous with your navigation, but having to redo a slog of a level because you get stuck between enemies that do massive damage and can hit you through planes that you can't shoot through? I'm done. Unfortunately I'm sure I'm past the "tryout" phase for STEAM so I'm stuck with this license.

Meh.
    Maybe turn on admin mode for the duration of that mission? Once you've beaten that you can just ignore the rest of the missions if you don't wanna do them.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Meh.

So, on your basic crafting menu, you can make a flag using ... copper bars and some cloth, I think?

Anyway, you can drop that wherever you want and then us'E' it to set a teleport beacon. You can then teleport to that location from your ship, making trips back-and-forth between your home base (put a flag there, too) and the mine very quick.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Meh.

So, on your basic crafting menu, you can make a flag using ... copper bars and some cloth, I think?

Anyway, you can drop that wherever you want and then us'E' it to set a teleport beacon. You can then teleport to that location from your ship, making trips back-and-forth between your home base (put a flag there, too) and the mine very quick.
    He's talking about the Erichius mine, not a mine on a planet.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I play combat in this game like it is Dark Souls

it got a lot better once I got some decent weapons but yeah, the starting out phase can be rough

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I play combat in this game like it is Dark Souls

it got a lot better once I got some decent weapons but yeah, the starting out phase can be rough
    Starbound is the Dark Souls of sandbox building games?

cB557 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Meh.

He's talking about the Erichius mine, not a mine on a planet.

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the mine you delve into for Core Fragments on the very first planet.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    He's talking about having to restart the entire thing if you fail and enemies that do massive damage. He's pretty obviously talking about the Erchius mine. And yes, the enemies there will do massive damage if you don't at least have Iron armor.

• Options

Meh.
    Maybe turn on admin mode for the duration of that mission? Once you've beaten that you can just ignore the rest of the missions if you don't wanna do them.

Does that affect achievements? If that's an option I'll look into it. I just got insanely frustrated after finding a shortcut and thinking the game might checkpoint me and then finding, nope. . . do it all over.

Game might still not be for me. Navigating all the hotkeys is a nightmare and I'm often laying down dirt when I want to switch to bow and arrow. Or overshooting jumps and falling to my death.

• Options

Meh.

Does that affect achievements? If that's an option I'll look into it. I just got insanely frustrated after finding a shortcut and thinking the game might checkpoint me and then finding, nope. . . do it all over.

Game might still not be for me. Navigating all the hotkeys is a nightmare and I'm often laying down dirt when I want to switch to bow and arrow. Or overshooting jumps and falling to my death.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect achievements. To activate it, just type /admin into chat, and enter it again to deactivate it.
    Though, if you're having trouble with falling to your death, you can get a double jump tech from a quest available when you first enter the outpost.
    What sort of gear did you have when you tried the mine, anyway?

Oh, and I should also mention, there actually is a checkpoint in the mission, a bit before the boss.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Meh.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect achievements. To activate it, just type /admin into chat, and enter it again to deactivate it.
    Though, if you're having trouble with falling to your death, you can get a double jump tech from a quest available when you first enter the outpost.
    What sort of gear did you have when you tried the mine, anyway?

Oh, and I should also mention, there actually is a checkpoint in the mission, a bit before the boss.

Also, survival sounds too frustrating for you (and it is for me too!) so you might look into casual mode. That's what I did and it's made the game much, much less frustrating. I might turn hunger on for casual, but that item drop on death is something I don't have the time for.

edit: however, I should mention that would require you starting a brand new character and you may not want to do that. But I bit the bullet and haven't looked back so I'd suggest looking into it

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edit: however, I should mention that would require you starting a brand new character and you may not want to do that. But I bit the bullet and haven't looked back so I'd suggest looking into it
    There's gotta be a way to edit the character file to change the difficulty, right?
    Failing that, I believe I saw a mod while browsing the workshop that disables item drop in survival.

• Options
    I don't mind the item drop too much but the hunger depletes a bit too damn fast for my liking.

• Options
    There's gotta be a way to edit the character file to change the difficulty, right?
    Failing that, I believe I saw a mod while browsing the workshop that disables item drop in survival.

Possibly, but I can't be arsed to find out

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I don't mind the item drop too much but the hunger depletes a bit too damn fast for my liking.

Only bothers me when I get pulled away to address toddler problems and I return to find myself standing in my ship with all my items on the deck and my wallet somewhat lighter.

But I have invested heavily in agriculture; so a backpack full of solid meals only takes a few minutes to prep.