As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    How are you supposed to protect your shit from Metroids?

Hire a Samus

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Except Ridley survived.

EDIT: Oh fuck, i just remembered that absolutely batshit lifecycle for Ridley's species that they added to Other M. What the fuck were they thinking?

I don't remember this at all.

Thank God.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well you see, Ridley starts out as a cute critter because babies motherhood babies babies.

#THEMES

Did you know that if you re-arrange the letters in "Other M", it spells out "MOTHER"? Also, Metroid Other M abbreviates to "MOM".

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well you see, Ridley starts out as a cute critter because babies motherhood babies babies.

#THEMES

Did you know that if you re-arrange the letters in "Other M", it spells out "MOTHER"? Also, Metroid Other M abbreviates to "MOM".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

• Options
    God, the suggested follow-ups to that video.

The worst thing the prequels did was allow for arguments about the prequels.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    At least someone got their 8 bucks back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWTiafB21Q

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    That was a good bit.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how much I'm going to like the new one though, I've never been good with polygon-based platformers. The aliasing makes small things on the screen like projectiles difficult for me to track reliably, which is why I hated Shinobi 3D even though it was supposedly a good game.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It would be great if Samus faced an actual bounty hunter at some point.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    That happens in Prime 3

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I need to play Prime 3, just wish I could without Wiimoting.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    That happens in Prime 3

It's also the entire premise of Metroid Prime: Hunters

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    That happens in Prime 3

which i have just learned I can play on my N3DS and am now looking for a good copy of

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    That happens in Prime 3

which i have just learned I can play on my N3DS and am now looking for a good copy of

Don't.. uh.. don't be too put out if you don't find it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    That happens in Prime 3

Don't.. uh.. don't be too put out if you don't find it.

I feel like I'm missing something here? Theres like a hundred pre-owned copies cheap on amazon including copies with manual and game case.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I think it's being implied that by not finding a copy, they're not really missing anything, because it's not really that great of a game

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think it was supposed to be a shit game. So y'know, if you never play it, you aren't missing much.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    What was Samus called in the Japanese games?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    She was still called Samus over there.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm glad Metroid is back. Tonight I went to the Orange County Night Market and there were a lot of vendor selling art. You know, like you see at any geeky convention. One had pixel art keychains. Of course I immediately noticed the little Metroid one. The vendor saw my Metroid shirt and knew she had a sale. She told me that she was so proud of the Metroids she made but no one (until I came along) knew what they were. I wasn't very surprised, Metroid was niche at best even around 2004-05 when Nintendo was cranking out all kinds of Metroid games. Still, it made me sad. The series being away for so many years doesn't help.

But they sold at least one.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    What was Samus called in the Japanese games?

Royale with cheese.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    "Sales of unlicensed merchandise detected! Send in Samus Aran...Merchandise Bounty Hunter!"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I think it's being implied that by not finding a copy, they're not really missing anything, because it's not really that great of a game

Yeah, this.

It's pretty mediocre and the control scheme hurts my hands.

Like the only Metroid game I didn't get 100% items on.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be a shit game. So y'know, if you never play it, you aren't missing much.

At least I called out that I was missing the point while I was missing the point.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    That happens in Prime 3

Oh!

All the more reason they need to get that franchise away from Nintendo.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I remember Samus Aran being described as a 'Space Hunter' somewhere...

The Space Pirates throughout the Prime games do only refer to her as the Hunter in their communication.

Probably because Samus never leaves any one of them alive for long enough to learn her name and pass it on to the other Pirates.

I don't think they're particularly afraid of her because she kills them. This is a race which, after all, looks at things like experimenting with (potentially) compressing living bodies into a tiny ball, life-sucking space parasites, and horrifically mutagenic cosmic goo and goes "oh yeah, give me some of that, inject it right into my veins".

Self-preservation and fear of death don't seem to rate particularly highly with them.

I mean, the logs also make it seem pretty clear that most of it is non-optional. Science Team makes shit up and injects it into the grunts' veins and they don't get to argue. Gruynts get sent to work with metroids, and twenty casualties later all they get to do is complain in a private log about how this is stupid and suicidal and Science Team has vapor for brains.

A lot of logs do make them appear pretty scared of being Samus'd. If memory serves, the first logs in 2 where they discover Dark Samus can be adequately summed up as "oh fuck there's TWO OF THEM oh god oh god"

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    My personal most-remembered example of science team's failures was their attempt to reverse-engineer the morph ball.

They, uh, didn't quite understand how Samus does it.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just imagine that Cave Johnson was elected President.

"Log 11.222.8

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

I also like:

"Metroid Handling Protocols, 07.202.02
    Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not for target practice. Finally, unauthorized feeding of Metroids is still strictly prohibited."

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

"Log 11.222.8

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

I also like:

Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not for target practice. Finally, unauthorized feeding of Metroids is still strictly prohibited."

Reading this in his voice is too perfect.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

"Log 11.222.8

I also like:

"I've got a note here from the lab boys about the Phazon. *rustles paper* DO NOT get covered in Phazon."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

"Log 11.222.8

I also like:

"I've got a note here from the lab boys about the Phazon. *rustles paper* DO NOT get covered in Phazon."

"But if you do, ah hell at least you died for SCIENCE. And that's what's most important, right? Now get out there and do some science!"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I really liked the space pirate logs in the Prime 1, and hated them in Prime 3.

In Prime 1, they were humanized by their logs, and it showed how their daily lives were. They had believable goals. Direclty opposed to Samus and the Federation, sure, but clear and believable goals. (And their science division was hilariously fond of mad science.) But ultimately, space pirates were people.

In Prime 3, they were stock characterless bad guys who only wanted to do evil. (Phazon made them do it, but it also made them boring and unrelatable.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

"Log 11.222.8

I also like:

I don't think Cave Johnson would have given up on the Morph Ball so easily.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    I played Hunters from top to bottom, beginning to end. I even did the MultiPlayer stuff. I put enough hours into it that I can say without a doubt or any hesitation...it's a bad game. I know hard to believe. But it is.

I remember the hand cramps of trying to hold my DS with one hand, moving with said hand, aiming with said hand, and furiously tapping the screen with the other hand to fire. I recall with great rage at the fact that you could not in fact change that to a button press.

That said...the morph ball moments were forgettable. One exception to that is the extra hunters ability to turn into the carapace slug thing. That was actually cool. But not enough to save this game.

Long story short, if you can help it, don't play hunters. If you have to have it in your vains, watch a lets play, save your hands....

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I really liked the space pirate logs in the Prime 1, and hated them in Prime 3.

In Prime 1, they were humanized by their logs, and it showed how their daily lives were. They had believable goals. Direclty opposed to Samus and the Federation, sure, but clear and believable goals. (And their science division was hilariously fond of mad science.) But ultimately, space pirates were people.

In Prime 3, they were stock characterless bad guys who only wanted to do evil. (Phazon made them do it, but it also made them boring and unrelatable.)

Clearly, the worst of all possible side effects to phazon exposure.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Press sheet for Prime 4 leaked:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OPsqoBRa9_Tlo5d0JOUHNpaDg/view

edit: it literally states the most obvious shit ever.. that it will be an FPS and that it will connect to the old prime games while also taking the story in new directions.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Due to the E3 sale, I ended up buying Super Metroid for the 3 1/2 time (I'm not counting the Wii U upgrade as a full purchase).

Playing Super Metroid on the toilet is a good way to not feel your legs for a while.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I hope they make a remastered prime trilogy on the switch E-shop. I'm kinda embaressed to admit this but I never finished a single prime....I tried them all, but would eventually have problems finding my way to the next spot i was suppose to go. I just couldnt grasp the 3d map as well as a 2D and the controls just felt off with the Nintendo joystick. I've got more experience with it now and think the joycons would be much better.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Prime 3 really let me down in a lot of ways but the logs were up to snuff. Especially the ones that explains the slow Phazon indoctrination of the Pirates

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I hope they make a remastered prime trilogy on the switch E-shop. I'm kinda embaressed to admit this but I never finished a single prime....I tried them all, but would eventually have problems finding my way to the next spot i was suppose to go. I just couldnt grasp the 3d map as well as a 2D and the controls just felt off with the Nintendo joystick. I've got more experience with it now and think the joycons would be much better.

I am holding out hope they do this and add regular controller support. I put hundreds of hours in to Prime 1 and 2 on the GameCube, but waggle just killed the games for me. I own the Trilogy just to have the slick metal case, but I have no desire to play Prime with waggle controls.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling