As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    also this 12 win arena run came off the back of like, three straight 4 win runs

it's fuckin' crazy how swingy the difference between a good deck and a passable deck is

Thus far in this event:

Druid 1 win
    Mage 6 wins
    Warrior 1 win
    Paladin 4 wins
    Warrior 0 wins
    Rogue 0 wins

Just drafted a Mage again because fucking duh and we'll see how this goes again. Also it seems that a lot of other people have more luck with Warrior than I do.

Rogue was just really brutal. But I can't seem to win with Rogue decks that babies who poop in their diapers can play perfectly so w/e.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Went 11-3 with a mage draft that had 5 Dreamers, losses were to two other mages and a shaman who dropped Geist after I had soundly failed to draw any dreamers. Rewards were 200 gold and stuff that came to like 220 dust, which seems low.

These new quests are the exact right amount of generosity and completion effort for dailies, I hope they get adopted as baseline.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Went 11-3 with a mage draft that had 5 Dreamers, losses were to two other mages and a shaman who dropped Geist after I had soundly failed to draw any dreamers. Rewards were 200 gold and stuff that came to like 220 dust, which seems low.

These new quests are the exact right amount of generosity and completion effort for dailies, I hope they get adopted as baseline.

76aGSga.png?1

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    But seriously this game might be slightly less pay to win if they adopted these rewards as their baseline.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    But seriously this game might be slightly less pay to win if they adopted these rewards as their baseline.

This game isn't pay to win, it's pay to go faster (aka have more deck types). If HS was truly P2W, @MMMig would get Legend every month. :P

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    pay to have viable decks/pay to compete

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's pay to have fun.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It's pay to have fun.

this explains your posts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It's pay to have fun.

this explains your posts
    And yours! It explains everything, in fact.

I should submit it for the Theory of Everything.

• Options
    It's pay to have fun.

this explains your posts
    And yours! It explains everything, in fact.

I should submit it for the Theory of Everything.

joke's on you, i've spent approximately 975$ on hearthstone since october 2013

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I hear a secret achievement is unlocked at $1,000.

• Options
    Ah, here it is.

a_bRt8qmRO.png

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Ah, here it is.

a_bRt8qmRO.png

Ha, joke's on you, Blizz. I haven't played HS in months!

To confirm, I just checked my HS purchases this year.

Shit.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Cavern Dreamer needs a nerf, but it won't get one because it'll disappear in two weeks... but god damn I hate that card.

• Options
    BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    ugmp30vja67b.png

Having the easiest climb ever this month with Thijs’ Big Dragon Druid. I was in China all month until yesterday, and I climbed from 5 to 1 in just a few hours. The deck is just so surprisingly good against the current meta. I originally picked it up because of its strength against Shudderwock, which I’ve been seeing so much of since I came back, but it’s fantastic against most other decks too. It might struggle a bit against aggro, but it’s got a great stabilization package going for it with Spreading Plagues and big taunts, and it eats slower decks for breakfast. Half the games I play are just plain over by turn 6 - pretty much any game you draw Master Oakheart without Drakkari Enchanter will straight up win you the game. A little ramp or a Bright Eyed Scout into Oakheart is just insane, and there is really no out for a lot of decks afterwards.

lhc3vwjt328a.jpeg

Beastwizard on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

14,500 dust.

Holy moly.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Renolock can nearly hit 20k. I anticipate the day that 30 legends is a real deck.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

This game isn't pay to win, it's pay to go faster (aka have more deck types). If HS was truly P2W, @MMMig would get Legend every month. :P

I'm sorry but it is. I started playing this game a few months ago. There is no way you can even win a arena game with the stock newbie cards. Even at the lower level, people have multiple legendaries in their deck. To even be able to win sometimes, I had to put in some money to buy some packs to try to be able to build a deck that would at least gives me the illusion of being to win sometimes.

These new rewards are amazing and if they do keep them, there would be a bigger incentive for new players to try to the game because you have a better sense of progression since you can open packs more often.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    14,500 dust.

Holy moly.

I think I am 4 epics and a legend away from that maybe. I just crafted Oakboy a week ago or so after dusting a golden legend. I need Deathwing for sure. Unless I go with a Kingsbane rogue deck and make that legend that gives 1-1 to your weapon.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Guibs wrote: »

I'm sorry but it is. I started playing this game a few months ago. There is no way you can even win a arena game with the stock newbie cards. Even at the lower level, people have multiple legendaries in their deck. To even be able to win sometimes, I had to put in some money to buy some packs to try to be able to build a deck that would at least gives me the illusion of being to win sometimes.

These new rewards are amazing and if they do keep them, there would be a bigger incentive for new players to try to the game because you have a better sense of progression since you can open packs more often.

But....... Arena isn't based off your collection............ It offers you choices from every single Standard card in the game, even if you don't own them..................................

Regardless, touching on your other point, what Dover is saying, what all of us are saying, we're all saying the same thing except differently. It's just semantic differences. Yes, you do kinda need to pay for the game if you actually want to make good decks. But it's not "pay to win" because there's still the issue of needing to actually play well. Like, sure, people at Rank 20-ish or whatever have all those big ol' Legendaries in their deck, but why do you think they're at Rank 20-ish to begin with?

Cause they can't get any higher.

So technically speaking, not pay to win.

But yes, you do gotta front up some money to actually have good decent cards in your deck. The basic set is fuckin' abysmal for new players, the new player experience is fuckin' lousy, it's shit, we all know that. There are some decent budget decks (good, even) that you can actually pilot up a decent ways, but that will largely depend on your skill. Having Legendaries in your deck is not an auto-win. Do they help? Absolutely. Are there decks that don't run Legendaries that are still good and will still let you climb up? Heck yes there are.

At the end of the day, skill > cards, but cards help. Assuredly.

And yes, this game is not free to play. No one is arguing that.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Hey, I'll argue that the game can be F2P. It's less fun that way, sure, but it can totally be done.

I'd also argue that if you go F2P, you should use all three region profiles. The amount of extra packs that you'll open for doing three quests a day will be a lot greater than you'll get from winning games. You're going to dramatically increase your available pool of decks by doing so. For example, if you open a Baku on EU servers and a Genn on Asia servers, then you can build your collection in different directions across the two servers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Guibs wrote: »

But....... Arena isn't based off your collection............ It offers you choices from every single Standard card in the game, even if you don't own them..................................

Regardless, touching on your other point, what Dover is saying, what all of us are saying, we're all saying the same thing except differently. It's just semantic differences. Yes, you do kinda need to pay for the game if you actually want to make good decks. But it's not "pay to win" because there's still the issue of needing to actually play well. Like, sure, people at Rank 20-ish or whatever have all those big ol' Legendaries in their deck, but why do you think they're at Rank 20-ish to begin with?

Cause they can't get any higher.

So technically speaking, not pay to win.

But yes, you do gotta front up some money to actually have good decent cards in your deck. The basic set is fuckin' abysmal for new players, the new player experience is fuckin' lousy, it's shit, we all know that. There are some decent budget decks (good, even) that you can actually pilot up a decent ways, but that will largely depend on your skill. Having Legendaries in your deck is not an auto-win. Do they help? Absolutely. Are there decks that don't run Legendaries that are still good and will still let you climb up? Heck yes there are.

At the end of the day, skill > cards, but cards help. Assuredly.

And yes, this game is not free to play. No one is arguing that.

I would point out that such decks most likely have a bunch of Epics as well, which are slightly less unattainable than Leggos, especially when you consider that you probably need 2 copies.

Odd Rogue is one of the cheapest decks out there and it still requires a Legendary to even function, and several variations need Epics.

Like, I've been making cheap budget decks for the past 9-10 months now (because that's when I started), trying to put stuff together from hearthstonetopdecks and hearthpwn. They're fun decks the 1/4 times you're not up against something in the current meta. You won't get past 20 with them. Nearly every good deck that gets posted here requires at least 6,000 dust. Certain classes are flat-out unplayable without you using 8,000 or more (Warrior and Druid come to mind).

I don't really have an issue with the game not being free to play, that's fine, I think devs should get compensated for their work, and I kinda hate the free-to-play concept on the whole. But I've spent nearly $120 on this game and I still can only put a good deck or two together for 2 of the classes. And yeah, I'm sure you guys have sunk way more than that in, so boo-hoo tell me a sad story, right? But that's kinda the point, $120 is actually pretty high for a video game in general. Why the fuck do people need to spend $120+ to be able to really experience the rest of the game? I'm not even talking "rank up to Legend," I'm just talking, "get to play a decent fucking Druid/Warrior deck."

I think giving quest rewards of both gold and dust....Goldust.....holy shit....okay......what was I saying.....I think giving those quest rewards is a good first step, if that was even a step they were taking. Alternatively/additionally, they could adjust the rate that Leggos and Epics appear because opening 20 packs and getting 40 dust 4/5 times has a lot more impact on whether or not you'll be able to play the game or not, and whether you spend a lot of money on this game or not. I'll tell you that after I purchased the $50 Witchwood pack I do not plan on doing that again, because after the 10th pack it just was dust, dust, dust. And oh look, I got a shitty Leggo. Can I dust that and make a different Leggo? Of course not because the dust system has to be punitive for some fucking reason ($$$).

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I'd be elated if they went to a permanent gold + dust daily quest reward model, but they won't. In two weeks we'll be back to eating our gruel and (not) liking it.

Completing dailies has felt properly rewarding for the past week, just like when we had the gold + pack event a few months ago. I'll certainly miss it.

Edit: As long as this game is pulling in ridiculous money, Blizzard has no incentive to make any changes to the reward structures.

forty on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    At minimum, you can earn 50 gold per day. With smart rerolls and 3 wins per day, 60+ is more realistic. That means you earn 420 gold/week at minimum. On average, there are 16 weeks between expansions, giving you 6,720 gold (realistically 7k gold) by the time the new expansion launches. That would be 67 packs, plus Blizzard has been providing about 3-6 more free packs during the launch window. Now you're at 70 or so packs.

70 packs is the equivalent of dropping $50 for a pre-purchase. So you don't have to buy any packs, but dropping any money into the game just accelerates your collection. Even better, any cash investments compound gold savings. Paying $50 gives you 70 packs while still leaving you with all your gold to either purchase more packs or buy more packs in the next expansion.

Of course, 70 packs doesn't get you everything in the expansion, but a lot. You should get all the Commons, 85% of the Rares, at least 7 Epics, and at least 2-3 Legendaries (plus 1 free). On average, you'd net about 2-3k in dust, which should let you make some decks as long as you're smart on what you craft.

You also earn 50-52 Classic packs/year from Tavern Brawls. When the Years flip, you can dust everything going to Wild for a bunch of dust. That'll give you a head start to the next expansion and make you more competitive with older cards you might not have owned rotating out.

Paying money doesn't auto-win games. It simply gives you access to more cards, more quickly. If you want to go 100% F2P, then you'll have to live with a smaller collection over time. Some people can't play every day, some are more casual, while others play a lot more or have been there since the beginning. It's certainly rough to be new to the game, but over time it smooths out a bit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    At minimum, you can earn 50 gold per day. With smart rerolls and 3 wins per day, 60+ is more realistic. That means you earn 420 gold/week at minimum. On average, there are 16 weeks between expansions, giving you 6,720 gold (realistically 7k gold) by the time the new expansion launches. That would be 67 packs, plus Blizzard has been providing about 3-6 more free packs during the launch window. Now you're at 70 or so packs.

70 packs is the equivalent of dropping $50 for a pre-purchase. So you don't have to buy any packs, but dropping any money into the game just accelerates your collection. Even better, any cash investments compound gold savings. Paying $50 gives you 70 packs while still leaving you with all your gold to either purchase more packs or buy more packs in the next expansion.

Of course, 70 packs doesn't get you everything in the expansion, but a lot. You should get all the Commons, 85% of the Rares, at least 7 Epics, and at least 2-3 Legendaries (plus 1 free). On average, you'd net about 2-3k in dust, which should let you make some decks as long as you're smart on what you craft.

You also earn 50-52 Classic packs/year from Tavern Brawls. When the Years flip, you can dust everything going to Wild for a bunch of dust. That'll give you a head start to the next expansion and make you more competitive with older cards you might not have owned rotating out.

Paying money doesn't auto-win games. It simply gives you access to more cards, more quickly. If you want to go 100% F2P, then you'll have to live with a smaller collection over time. Some people can't play every day, some are more casual, while others play a lot more or have been there since the beginning. It's certainly rough to be new to the game, but over time it smooths out a bit.

yes, this is definitely true.

i'm an f2p player but i've been playing for a few years now. i can almost always hit rank 5 and would probably be able to get to legend if i bothered to play more. i also have a huge dust hoard in wild and golden cards that i can't bring myself to destroy (i'm looking at you emp thaur and rags - i love those guys!).

the pain points definitely smooth out over time, especially if you just play for 30 minutes or so a day to complete your daily quest.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    14,500 dust.

Holy moly.

I think I am 4 epics and a legend away from that maybe. I just crafted Oakboy a week ago or so after dusting a golden legend. I need Deathwing for sure. Unless I go with a Kingsbane rogue deck and make that legend that gives 1-1 to your weapon.

I need 4k dust to finish this deck.

2x arcane tyrant
    2x bright eyed scout
    2x drakkari enchanter
    1x deathwing

Maybe I can run through my goldens and extra legends/epics and see if I can hit 4k dust.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Of course, 70 packs doesn't get you everything in the expansion, but a lot. You should get all the Commons, 85% of the Rares,
    I'm curious where the math for this came from. Was there a reddit thread on it?

Specifically, I think it's way off for the rares.

forty on
  • Options
    Even if you magically did get all ~70 rares in 70 packs, it's also worth noting that the vast majority of dust cost of an expansion is loaded into all those epics and legendaries you don't get.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think I can solve that with binomials, let me check my books.

E: Binomials do not apply because the events are dependent (every time you get a card you don't have already the chance of getting a new card goes down). I also can't use factorials because the change in probability isn't gradual, only the 2nd copy of a card results in reduced chance. I'm gonna keep looking for an appropriate method.

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options

And I think that is a pretty piss-poor distribution for 70 packs. How many Leggos in a set? 25-30? How many Epics? I'm not saying $50 should get you the whole set, but HS just keeps compounding this issue. Not only do you just have a pile of commons and rares, they're worth far less when you break them down vs. when you craft them. So if your pulls were garbage and you want to fix it by shifting your collection, well, Hearthstone says fuck you, gimme more money.

I'll own that I was the first in the conversation to say "Pay to win." It's not true, I shouldn't have said it, I was hoping it would be understood as shorthand for this shitty money-grinder business strategy Hearthstone and other collectibles employ, but I should have also been more precise. But I would say that paying money gives you access to more cards, period. Not just more quickly, it gives you access to more cards, period. And I get that this is what collectible games are banking on to earn more money, I also don't have to think that's a good thing. I mean, I'd also say that MtG isn't pay-to-win but I'd also tell you that if you don't spend money you're gonna be real fucked.

And I'm speaking as someone who doesn't let his quests go to waste, re-rolls them to try and get 60+ all the time (or 100 at the moment), does the Tavern brawl all the time, gets his one pack every week. I don't think my collection is that bad, but every deck I see posted, I'm fucking miles away from being able to put together.

• Options
    The last few expansions have had 23 legendaries (2 per class + 5 neutrals) and I think 25-30 epics.

• Options
    The last few expansions have had 23 legendaries (2 per class + 5 neutrals) and I think 25-30 epics.

54 Epics

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Should I make a tempo mage deck? Is that fun to play? One of the legendaries I need for it is Antonidas, as a classic legendary he's handy to have around in general right?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options

54 Epics
    Sorry, I meant unique epics, but yeah, x2 for the required dupes.
    I'm not saying $50 should get you the whole set
    Hell, I don't think it's even unreasonable to believe that spending $150 per year + the earnings of daily play should give you access to every card. That's a lot of money and time to spend on one game to still be missing out on "content."

• Options
    edited June 2018
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Should I make a tempo mage deck? Is that fun to play? One of the legendaries I need for it is Antonidas, as a classic legendary he's handy to have around in general right?
    Antonidas is a good classic legendary and sometimes is a critical piece of high tier mage decks, but you might hold off on crafting him right now unless you're really itching to spend dust since he's not that useful in the current meta.

Edit: Do you already have Aluneth?

forty on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Antonidas is a good classic legendary and sometimes is a critical piece of high tier mage decks, but you might hold off on crafting him right now unless you're really itching to spend dust since he's not that useful in the current meta.

Edit: Do you already have Aluneth?

Nah I don't. Sounds like I might spend my dust more wisely elsewhere.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have Aluneth but I don't use it as drawing more cards seems folly

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have Aluneth but I don't use it as drawing more cards seems folly

ಠ_ಠ

• Options
    i hate having cards

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I think my quest warrior could probably get to Rank 5 for 3,200 dust or so, substituting Brawl, Primordial Drake and The Lich King for Warpath, Acolyte of Pain and Clockwork Automaton.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png