As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Gawd, I just adore the art for CrossCode. And Lea.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Free game on Steam called Braveland:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv9VpwvPcJY

Trailer's kind of boring, but it still looks interesting and it has reviewed well.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Braveland is fun. A little simple, and not innovative in any way. But perfectly serviceable.

Hex combat comfort food. Pick it up for free if you like TB combat. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Fanatical has another pick and mix bundle up with some good stuff in it.

Aspyr Pick & Mix

BioShock Infinite
    BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
    BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1
    Bioshock Infinite: Season Pass
    Borderlands 2
    Borderlands 2 Season Pass
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Season Pass
    Call of Duty® 2
    Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
    Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
    Homeworld Remastered Collection
    InnerSpace
    Layers of Fear
    MAFIA III
    Next Up Hero
    Sid Meier's Civilization V
    Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods & Kings
    Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World
    Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide
    SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition
    Star Wars®: Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy
    STAR WARS®: Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    there I was playing the new Total War: Warhammer II Vampirate DLC, gobbling up pirate dorfs with my Mourngul, stealing their magical Sea Shanties...
    vOSYOlg.jpg
    Q9SpRc2.jpg
    when I was finally able to upgrade my Mermaid Pirate Queen with a brand new giant hermit crab mount for her to ride into battle while leading her vampire pirate armies...
    o6Xw9ud.jpg
    AcXIO06.jpg
    mdeuQgE.jpg
    Needless to say, playing as a Mermaid Pirate Queen has been quite badass and awesome, and has consumed my freetime the past few days. And though I must now make my way back to the daily grind at work, in my mind I shall be plotting my next Mermaid Pirate Queen moves...
    hA6bkyI.jpg
    Much thanks again @Karoz for the awesome vampirate DLC <3

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I need to give the other Steam thread their props for calling this game to everyone's attention.
    Brolo wrote: »
    Drawings of warrior dogs, rabbits, and donkeys will fight one another (with a little help from their artist) in Inkulinati, a strategy game taking place in the pages of an illuminated manuscript.

Inkulinati has two warring sides on either end of a manuscript, sending their hand-drawn forces against each other to see who can emerge victorious. You can choose from an array of battle beasts, each with their own offensive powers and silly abilities. Using ranged and melee attacks, as well as the occasional bit of singing, barking, or cheeky trumpet playing to create useful status effects, you can hopefully overcome your artist opponent.
    https://indiegamesplus.com/2019/01/inkulinati-is-a-tactical-animal-battle-across-an-illuminated-manuscript

Man that looks fun.

• Options
    Terrible title, though.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    One of the worst possible names I can imagine. Darkest Dungeon by way of Monty Python's a cool idea, though.

• Options
    SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    "Animated Animal Manuscript Battle" would be a less terrible title. Inkulinati physically pains me to say out loud. Looks real good though.

I finally played ICEY, which I got bundled with the steam link forever ago. I hear a lot of people tried to refund it, which is a shame because it's a decent little hack and slash with a lovely art style. I guess I was expecting the meta narrative to be a little more fleshed out, but I know I didn't get the real ending and I'm sure I missed a couple of spots that the narrator begged me to ignore.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I've been whispering "Inkulinati" to myself for a few minutes here and I don't get it. Is there a pun I'm missing? If it's a riff on Illuminati I don't know what an inkul is.

Wait, is it just to use the word "ink"?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I've been whispering "Inkulinati" to myself for a few minutes here and I don't get it. Is there a pun I'm missing? If it's a riff on Illuminati I don't know what an inkul is.

Wait, is it just to use the word "ink"?

Yes.

Ink+ Illuminated, or here Illuminati, from what I can tell.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Okay yeah that's kinda dumb.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    After sneaking my way to a Sicario boss with the Crossbow in Wildlands, I’ve decided it’ll remain a staple weapon. There’s still a need for a sniper rifle and assault rifle, it occupies a middle ground where you’re done sniping but aren’t ready for close quarters yet.

I wish the game let you carry 3 main weapons.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Inca-Knot-All?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Inka dinka doo.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Inky, Blinky, Pinky & Clyde.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My favorite aspect is that it writes a narration of the battle. Which means the screenshots should be fun. Especially once @Zavian gets a hold of the game.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My favorite aspect is that it writes a narration of the battle. Which means the screenshots should be fun. Especially once Zavian gets a hold of the game.

Yes, the only thing Zavian's wonderful screenshot series has been missing is the word "shitbird" in an old gothic font. :lol:

Jazz on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dear Steam Thread,

How is the Okami on the PC? I have the PS3 version but never played it. Is it just as good? Fanatical has it for 53% off and at that price I am tempted to snag it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Dear Steam Thread,

How is the Okami on the PC? I have the PS3 version but never played it. Is it just as good? Fanatical has it for 53% off and at that price I am tempted to snag it.
    At $10 its certainly worth it. While not completely relevant, it still makes me laugh so here's a review:
    1waffxvzwlzy.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cool. Bought and added to my games waiting to be played.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So my backlog has hit a roadblock........It's called Breath of The Wild. I made myself stop. I think I'll beat all 5 Anomaly games before I go back to BoTW. SC2 sidetracked me enough.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I am suddenly motivated to watch every one of those looney toons episode start involved the pencil after seeing images of that game.

I know there was 1 involving bugs and daffy, 1 on tiny toons, and 1 on the Tasmanian devil show

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Katana Zero

This looks rad. I wonder if the rewind scheme is similar to Braid's or just a gimmicky thing that happens when you die.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Last night's plans to be productive and get some much needed chores done sure got sidetracked by some decisions that I am feeling this morning.

"I should fix my sink and make food for the week"
    ."Hey, this 'My Time in Portia' game looks nice and chill, to the wishlist!"
    ...Chat informs there is a demo.
    .....*download demo.*
    ......"this is exactly what I wanted Yonder: Cloud Chronicles to be."
    .......*discover progress doesn't transfer to full game yet want to keep playing*
    ........*purchase*
    .........."alright, I'll start fresh tomorrow and really sink my teeth into it!"
    ..........."...I could at least get to where I stopped in the demo, I wasn't far."
    ............*blearily blinking to see it's 1AM.*
    ..............*cry because I have to be up at 4:30.*

vamen on
  • Options
    I've been looking for something Zelda-adjacent on the PC to play with the kiddo, and that steam review sounds like it was written by her. Okami still looks freakin' gorgeous! Bought.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The Messenger resonated so hard with me, I absolutely love that game. And I’m not shit at it! In fact it may be the first thing in a long time I actually attempt to speedrun.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Last night's plans to be productive and get some much needed chores done sure got sidetracked by some decisions that I am feeling this morning.

.....*download demo.*
    .......*discover progress doesn't transfer to full game yet want to keep playing*
    ........*purchase*
    .........."alright, I'll start fresh tomorrow and really sink my teeth into it!"
    ..........."...I could at least get to where I stopped in the demo, I wasn't far."

Any thoughts on if Portia would be a good "step-up" for a Farmville-like player? I was looking at picking this up as a gift but these type of games are outside my wheelhouse so unsure if the "step-up" view is apt.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Another successful birthday Steam dodge! I'm starting to think that this "spreadsheet" of @Pixelated Pixie is merely a tool to scare children. Well no longer! Spread the word, we will not be repressed any longer! :D
    And no, you cannot use this as an opportunity to gift me. You missed that window! Try again in 364 days. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Damn. that's a power play.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

.....*download demo.*
    ........*purchase*

Any thoughts on if Portia would be a good "step-up" for a Farmville-like player? I was looking at picking this up as a gift but these type of games are outside my wheelhouse so unsure if the "step-up" view is apt.

Having never played Farmville, I couldn't really say. I'm early on so I don't know how much 'farming' you do, per se. I have unlocked planters where you grow plants, and you have to fertilize them, but you don't seem to have a field or have to worry about watering and that sort of thing. There are a lot of characters to get to know and it has a social system (what that does, I couldn't say, but you improve your friendship with the npcs).
    The crafting stuff (so far) is all done via workstations. You learn recipes and then you can build items just by selecting them at a workbench. Bigger items you need to build (bridges, saw mills, etc) you get blueprints for and then queue them up and it will give a ghost outline of the item you are building and you have to physically take the materials it needs and place them in the correct locations.

The gameplay loop is what you might expect from a crafting type game; pick up sticks and stones > use those to build tools > use tools to get better types of sticks/stones > use improved materials to create forges/tanning booths/saws > use new workshops to create even bigger/better materials > etc.

It also has some very basic combat and RPG elements (levels, health, a skill tree) if those are pros or cons for your friend.

So depending on what they want out of this type of game, it may be a good step up, but if specifically running a farm is the draw, this might not fit the bill...but again, I'm early so there may be a whole farming system for all I know.

If farming is the real draw, I saw a nice looking game called "Farm Together" that has gotten good reviews and also has a multiplayer option.

vamen on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Another successful birthday Steam dodge! I'm starting to think that this "spreadsheet" of @Pixelated Pixie is merely a tool to scare children. Well no longer! Spread the word, we will not be repressed any longer! :D
    And no, you cannot use this as an opportunity to gift me. You missed that window! Try again in 364 days. :)

My dog ate my spreadsheet.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

My dog ate my spreadsheet.

Pixie is an entirely virtual being confirmed.

• Options
    Her powers have been weakened by the piles of games she has.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Spent a couple more hours in My Time At Portia.

It's.............good enough.

It's 3d Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley, but actually more like Rune Factory, I think. I've spent over a week in game have yet to plant a thing, because so far the arc has been need a thing, can make a machine to make that thing, collect things, turn things into other things, use those things to make machine, that machine lets me turn things into other things, now repeat all that.

I've done a lot of harvesting wood and rock. I've fought some llamas and crabs. Combat is crap, just pound on the x button and you'll keep hitting the enemy until they die, can dodge roll. Music is fine, voices are ok, not great. I've already started listening to podcasts while I mine. It looks nice, like a high texture PS2 game. There's a lot of good UI stuff, like telling you where and how to find supplies to make things, what machines do what, all your storage boxes being linked to your workbenches so you don't have to dig through looking for that one thing.

Weirdly, I'm thinking of Dark Cloud 2 alot and there are parts of it that feel they could've made a real good fake Dark Cloud but then Stardew did gangbusters.

I'm enjoying the loop so far but I have no idea how far it's gonna take me. I really liked tending to my farm in Stardew, watering my plants, harvesting, selling. So far, I'm "harvesting" wood from trees and rocks (that are immediately back the next day) and can quick craft some things to sell to townsfolk so I can have enough to pay the mine entrance fee each week to collect stone and artefacts. I don't have the money or supplies to expand my housing area and I don't know how much you can, yet.

I paid $13 for this. That feels like a good price. It just jumped up to $30 and right now? 2 1/2 to 3 hours in, it doesn't feel worth that to me. I will keep playing this weekend and see how much it can get it's hooks into me.

• Options
    Obra Done!

That was fantastic ride. Things I especially loved, non-spoilery:

The atmosphere was fantastic. Sound design is top-notch, from the ambient sounds of walking around the deck of a ship on the water to the blood-curdlingly terrible sounds of people's deaths. The bursts of music that accompany the transition from the audio-only portion of a memory to the 3D tableau depicting the moment of death are affecting and thematically spot-on. Voice acting was likewise perfect, and the subtle management of sound levels and quality in some particularly chaotic scenes added a lot, both in terms of setting a scene and providing vital clues on who it is who might have been speaking in each case.

The progression of the difficulty of the challenge was excellent. In some of the more difficult identifications where I had to make an educated guess it still felt like an accomplishment to discover that I was right.

with spoilers:
    Some of the trickier causes of death were really delightful to puzzle out. It was particularly satisfying to find at the edge of one scene - completely away from the action - the silhouettes of three bodies against the sky over the ocean.

I also thought it was pretty cool how you could deduce someone's identity without ever knowing their name based on who it was they were talking to or standing next to at times.

The initial moments with the monsters were great surprises. Such an effective mechanic to hear the sounds of a terrible struggle in darkness, wondering what might be happening, only to then be confronted with a giant crab-mermaid abomination. I breathed "what... the... fuck..." on more than one occasion.

I could go on and on. I can't recommend this game enough.

• Options
    SledGod wrote: »
    I've been looking for something Zelda-adjacent on the PC to play with the kiddo, and that steam review sounds like it was written by her. Okami still looks freakin' gorgeous! Bought.

@SledGod, take a look at Oceanhorn too.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

.....*download demo.*
    ........*purchase*

Having never played Farmville, I couldn't really say. I'm early on so I don't know how much 'farming' you do, per se. I have unlocked planters where you grow plants, and you have to fertilize them, but you don't seem to have a field or have to worry about watering and that sort of thing. There are a lot of characters to get to know and it has a social system (what that does, I couldn't say, but you improve your friendship with the npcs).
    The crafting stuff (so far) is all done via workstations. You learn recipes and then you can build items just by selecting them at a workbench. Bigger items you need to build (bridges, saw mills, etc) you get blueprints for and then queue them up and it will give a ghost outline of the item you are building and you have to physically take the materials it needs and place them in the correct locations.

The gameplay loop is what you might expect from a crafting type game; pick up sticks and stones > use those to build tools > use tools to get better types of sticks/stones > use improved materials to create forges/tanning booths/saws > use new workshops to create even bigger/better materials > etc.

It also has some very basic combat and RPG elements (levels, health, a skill tree) if those are pros or cons for your friend.

So depending on what they want out of this type of game, it may be a good step up, but if specifically running a farm is the draw, this might not fit the bill...but again, I'm early so there may be a whole farming system for all I know.

If farming is the real draw, I saw a nice looking game called "Farm Together" that has gotten good reviews and also has a multiplayer option.

My Time at Portia is not a farming game, its an engineering one.
    its cosmetically similar to Harvest Moon but the main gameplay loop is gathering materials to complete construction contracts that often serve as progression (make a bridge to get to this other island kind of thing)

there is also a strong emphasis on building relationships with the various townspeople and taking part in the social events that pop up from time to time.
    this can unlock more quests and eventually lead to marriage.
    It has a large cast of quirky and delightful characters.

I am a big fan of My Time at Portia. despite its slight jank, it is a charming game that will absolutely steal hours from you if you let it.
    If you are unsure the Demo is totally worth checking out.

*Farm Together is pretty fun. however it is purely the farming parts of Harvest Moon with none of the town/relationship elements.

This feels like a game that would be quite at home on a phone.
    plant growth works on a mobile phone game style real-time meter (10 real minutes to grow a lettuce or 3 real hours to grow a potato) but its not as bad as it sounds and you are often quite busy so the time vanishes. despite the real time aspect there are no predatory microtransactions to speed things up like you would expect.

Multiplayer works by giving people that work on your farm a XP boost when they get back to their own farm (relative to how long they worked)

The core gameplay loop is very addictive (plant/water/harvest/expand) and for a while there this game was all I could think about.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Iolo wrote: »
    SledGod wrote: »

@SledGod, take a look at Oceanhorn too.

Oooh, never heard of it before but I'm digging the Wind Waker vibe, will have to check it out!

SledGod on