As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Revolutionary Girl [chat]

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i have no friends and it's definitely because of my masculinity and definitely not the unlikeability

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I used to love cooking for people. But too many times I’ve invited people over and they’ve canceled or I’ve brought a dish to a gathering and it wasn’t touched because people are afraid of chickpeas or something they can’t pronounce. They’re labors of love. I’d still love to cook for good friends but spending that time and energy for people to no show or be unadventurous is just devastating for me.

I want to post "Maybe you're just a bad cook" but it's beyond the pale tbh

I want you to know I had the thought, though

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I remember driving my fiancé to the mall and feeding him names of the people he needed to buy christmas gifts for one by one.

Taking the CVS scented candle out of his hands and pointing towards the Vera Bradley store as he was shopping for a gift for his mom.

Getting thanked by name in the thank you note despite my name not being featured anywhere on the gift. she somehow knew

Meanwhile Dan and I are so fucking bad at this that I think we jointly failed to cough up a wedding gift for one of our closest friends last year. Just never got around to it...

I did buy a bottle of wine though for the coworker who bought me fluids last week when I was dehydrated, and put thought into the selection and she seemed pleased, so I think that is a win for thoughtfulness

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Years ago, I moved into a one-bedroom apartment of my own, in an apartment complex where two of my close friends were already living.

Cooking and food were major stressors for this couple and started a ton of their worst fights. I'd seen this pattern over and over again; they'd both be tired and neither of them would want to cook, they'd be stressed about money so neither of them would want to go out to eat; they'd get hangry and start fighting about it.

I made a deal with them that any time that happened, just text me and I'd go get take-out. I'd pay for it, I knew what food they liked, they didn't have to think about it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If you're buying a dessert, ice cream is a good choice. It's popular, everybody likes it, and generally high end commercial products like Häagen-Dazs are better than what you could make.

Okay but if you know someone who actually can make great homemade ice cream go with that every time.

Home made ice cream is 2:1 heavy cream to whole milk with almost no air in the mix, since home equipment can't handle the normal mixture or replicate the air injection process. It's delicious but so heavy and a bit less versatile than storebought I think.

Unless you know someone with a blast chiller and a commercial churn. In which case, propose to them immediately.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Speaking about things we shouldn't be eating.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/05/01/eating-placenta-warning-canada_a_23720074/?ncid=other_topnaventr_coabgdcpxri&utm_campaign=topnav
    Eating Placenta Has No Benefit And May Cause Harm, Canadian Obstetricians Warn

Quit eating those placentas

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Rez potlucks = best potlucks.

That is scientifically proven.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Chu if it's something really good I've had this work before
    Make someone feel really guilty and finally try it
    And when they are like holy shit this is awesome other people will be like..huh maybe i should give this a try oh wow

like my pickled okra rollups
    they look DISGUSTING (to me at least. hell I make them and for the longest time I wouldnt eat them)
    like 2 or 3 people tried them and now people beg me to make the shit
    they beg me
    groveling worms

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i have no friends and it's definitely because of my masculinity and definitely not the unlikeability

I am devastated to learn how many of you don't consider me a friend

(Yeah I know, physical friends are different than ones made purely of text like me)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Speaking about things we shouldn't be eating.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/05/01/eating-placenta-warning-canada_a_23720074/?ncid=other_topnaventr_coabgdcpxri&utm_campaign=topnav
    Eating Placenta Has No Benefit And May Cause Harm, Canadian Obstetricians Warn

Quit eating those placentas
    Ethical Cannibalism.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    No one ever wants to eat my Pineapple Casserole. But everyone loves it after they try it.

Chat has yelled at me before, but I don't care, it is delicious.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I'd get so fat on fry bread if I lived close to a res

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I used to love cooking for people. But too many times I’ve invited people over and they’ve canceled or I’ve brought a dish to a gathering and it wasn’t touched because people are afraid of chickpeas or something they can’t pronounce. They’re labors of love. I’d still love to cook for good friends but spending that time and energy for people to no show or be unadventurous is just devastating for me.

I took dwarf cake to Warhammer a few sessions ago for a thematic food

Reactions ranged from "it was tasty" to "I would rather take a flamethrower to my nipples than have another slice"

Pizza is the safer choice overall

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    No one ever wants to eat my Pineapple Casserole. But everyone loves it after they try it.

Chat has yelled at me before, but I don't care, it is delicious.

If it's anything like the one my aunt makes, that shit is fucking amazing.

It is tough for me to make myself take that first bite every time, though. It's just a real weird dish. But it's so good.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    bleric how good is my art

Extremely good, expressive, readable @VishNub

Congrats btw <3

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

My sys admin texted to group that there was a joyous appearance of indian tacos downstairs. And then like 3 min later that they ran out of frybread a person or two ahead of him.

Poor dude.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    If they aren't happy with me stopping at the store and picking up some cookies and insist I actually cook the things myself is about when I stop caring. Sure I'll pick up some cookies for the party. "Now don't go to wegmans and cheat!" Fuck right the fuck off.

I don't need the hassle and I'm perfectly content with becoming an ogre in a swamp.

As someone who prides himself on slacking in the office and buttressing that with a ton of good home cooked food

Ffuuuuuuuuuck that you bring in those grocery store cookies I'm eating those bitches with a pot of coffee
    @SummaryJudgment Your new Live Action Sonic avatar is terrifying, and I can imagine that movie Sonic is like Mr. Meeseeks, in that he wishes to die.

Excellent, everything according to plan

At first I was considering commissioning a new avatar since Christmas is long gone and is now approaching again (I got this Christmas before last, I think)

But then the option presented to just lean into it hard

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    speaking of emotional labor

I've had ex g/fs that would take it upon themselves to start sending birthday cards and christmas cards

sure you can take a stance of "sometimes dudes don't invest enough emotional labor" but also at the same time, maybe don't take on more work for no reason. No one expects those things from me and are fine with my texts on their birthday so why make more work for yourself?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

There aren’t a lot of things like this but my cooking skills are one of the few things so secure not even you or DK could abrade the edges

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I had a meet and greet with the new people who are going to be taking care of Widget while I'm gone this weekend.

They take pictures every time they visit and send you a text with like a timestamp and checkmarks for food/water/litterbox and stuff. Which is maybe a little over the top, but I'll take it over "guy who forgets to feed Widget and then lies about it".

Anyway, the girl who's going to be feeding Widget had a couple really great shots of her:

eIlLXscl.jpg

NMEuvLPl.jpg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    @Feral I remember you recommending bell hooks and one other author for a book on masculinities

Are there any male authors well regarded?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If you're buying a dessert, ice cream is a good choice. It's popular, everybody likes it, and generally high end commercial products like Häagen-Dazs are better than what you could make.

Okay but if you know someone who actually can make great homemade ice cream go with that every time.

Home made ice cream is 2:1 heavy cream to whole milk with almost no air in the mix, since home equipment can't handle the normal mixture or replicate the air injection process. It's delicious but so heavy and a bit less versatile than storebought I think.

Unless you know someone with a blast chiller and a commercial churn. In which case, propose to them immediately.

I just got a commercial churn motor w/paddle on auction for $0.06. I'm just missing the storage cylinder and bucket, which I could rig up easily enough, and there's a tiny bit of rust on the paddle. If the motor works, I'll likely just Ebay it, but making an obscene amount of ice cream also sounds tempting.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I remember driving my fiancé to the mall and feeding him names of the people he needed to buy christmas gifts for one by one.

Taking the CVS scented candle out of his hands and pointing towards the Vera Bradley store as he was shopping for a gift for his mom.

Getting thanked by name in the thank you note despite my name not being featured anywhere on the gift. she somehow knew

Meanwhile Dan and I are so fucking bad at this that I think we jointly failed to cough up a wedding gift for one of our closest friends last year. Just never got around to it...

I did buy a bottle of wine though for the coworker who bought me fluids last week when I was dehydrated, and put thought into the selection and she seemed pleased, so I think that is a win for thoughtfulness

Oh I definitely forgot to get a wedding gift for a close friend one time

It haunts me a little

• Options

Reactions ranged from "it was tasty" to "I would rather take a flamethrower to my nipples than have another slice"

“The dwarf bread was brought out for inspection. But it was miraculous, the dwarf bread. No one ever went hungry when they had some dwarf bread to avoid. You only had to look at it for a moment, and instantly you could think of dozens of things you'd rather eat. Your boots, for example. Mountains. Raw sheep. Your own foot.”
    - Terry Pratchett, "Witches Abroad"

"The one positive thing you could say about the bread products around him was that they were probably as edible now as they were on the day they were baked. Forged was a better term. Dwarf bread was made as a meal of last resort and also as a weapon and a currency. Dwarfs were not, as far as Vimes knew, religious in any way, but the way they thought about bread came close."
    - Terry Pratchett, "The Fifth Elephant"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I have a countertop ice cream churn and it's so gd loud that I take a thick leather coat and throw it over top the unit each time I use it. Now that coat smells like vanilla all the time. It still sounds like an idling trash compactor, one that's farther away.

Someone needs to make a quiet peltier-driven reverse thermomix type device. I'd buy it in a second.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

All I know about this is potlucks after sweat or tipi

Homemade casserole after 14+ hours sitting up may be the best casserole in the universe

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh, I watched She-Ra season 2. Hate they cut down the episodes.
    It's good and has some character growth but the story doesn't really go anywhere at all by the end of the season :(

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    It's good to have one big flaw, like smelling really, really bad, so you don't have to think about the other flaws

• Options
    I'm doing 10 pounds of pork shoulder "carnitas" for our other intern's grad party on Tuesday

Hilariously, prob cheaper than my colleague who offered to pick up the taco fixigs tortillas/cheese/sour cream etc.

• Options

There aren’t a lot of things like this but my cooking skills are one of the few things so secure not even you or DK could abrade the edges

How about the two of us in concert, with diagrams and schedules, plotting to reveal "accidental" messages, to make sly comments, to mutter to others conspiratorially while glancing at you, carefully practicing faces of concealed disgust to employ at your events

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

“The dwarf bread was brought out for inspection. But it was miraculous, the dwarf bread. No one ever went hungry when they had some dwarf bread to avoid. You only had to look at it for a moment, and instantly you could think of dozens of things you'd rather eat. Your boots, for example. Mountains. Raw sheep. Your own foot.”
    - Terry Pratchett, "Witches Abroad"

"The one positive thing you could say about the bread products around him was that they were probably as edible now as they were on the day they were baked. Forged was a better term. Dwarf bread was made as a meal of last resort and also as a weapon and a currency. Dwarfs were not, as far as Vimes knew, religious in any way, but the way they thought about bread came close."
    - Terry Pratchett, "The Fifth Elephant"

The recipe in the Nanny Ogg cookbook is slightly more edible

The poppy seeds, coconut and flour, mixed with pink food colouring, give a pleasing granite effect

But there was agreement in the room that I'd managed the "keeps you going as the alternative is eating it" feel

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

How about the two of us in concert, with diagrams and schedules, plotting to reveal "accidental" messages, to make sly comments, to mutter to others conspiratorially while glancing at you, carefully practicing faces of concealed disgust to employ at your events
    There's a different kind of emotional labor at work here... no one ever said that emotional labor had to be positive.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    It's not actually fried in lard, it's braised in the oven in a sealed pan

Not al pastor

Closer to puerco pibil, but no annatto or banana leaf

I guess you could say pork barbacoa?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

My sys admin texted to group that there was a joyous appearance of indian tacos downstairs. And then like 3 min later that they ran out of frybread a person or two ahead of him.

Poor dude.

God that's the cruelest cut

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Ha! My ex and I did a similar thing. Well.. we never sent thank you cards for our wedding presents. We kept meaning to. But we were dumb 25 year olds. The funniest thing is that about every 5 years she would get it in her head, "OMG we never sent thank you cards. We should do that right now!". "Honey... it's been 10 years.. I don't think anyone cares at this point"

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

All I know about this is potlucks after sweat or tipi

Homemade casserole after 14+ hours sitting up may be the best casserole in the universe

Our families sweathouse is right by a creek so you have times in between sessions where you are either jumping in the creek to cleanse or using warmed medicine water in the winter. Either way you have the coldness of the creek or the outside woods (its at an elevation of about 4000k+) with snow all around you to help the sweat heh.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I work all the days that the museum I work at is open. The only person who works there even close to as much as me is this really lovely phD candidate boy who I've grown super tight with

A recent conversation:

Me: (on our third day of the week working together, as he comes in) Hey, long time no see haha
    Him: Oh yeah, such a long time
    Me: yeah like, a whole ... 13 hours lmao
    Him: I feel like we live together
    Me: yeah!
    Him: I .. don't like it
    Me: *being rushed to the burn ward of the nearest hospital*

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

I’m sorry to disappoint but that would be as ineffective as my small penis

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Ha! My ex and I did a similar thing. Well.. we never sent thank you cards for our wedding presents. We kept meaning to. But we were dumb 25 year olds. The funniest thing is that about every 5 years she would get it in her head, "OMG we never sent thank you cards. We should do that right now!". "Honey... it's been 10 years.. I don't think anyone cares at this point"

I told all my friends that I don't need a thank you card, please don't bother, because yeah, you can just tell me in person and that's enough, i'm just gonna throw the card out

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.