As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited May 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey y'all.

A lot of people want to talk about John Wick. That's fair, John Wick is awesome. So here is a place to talk about John Wick and all his movies! Yay!

This thread is OPEN SPOILERS, including for John Wick 3: Portabello, or whatever it's called. If you have not seen John Wick 3, you probably don't want to be here!

The corollary to this is PLEASE DON'T PUT MOVIE SPOILERS IN TAGS. This is specifically a thread for spoilers, so spoiler tagging the movie is silly. Don't do that! If you do that, John Wick will shoot you in the head!

(Let's be fair, there's a decent chance he's going to shoot you in the head, regardless. Motherfucker shoots a lot of dudes in the head.)

So anyway! Go see John Wick 3! It is pretty darn good! Then talk about it in here!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    What other franchise has an NBA superstar being murdered with a book?

• Options
    Not nearly enough!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Things with which John Wick straight up murders a motherfucker in JW3, a partial list:

Guns
    Knives
    Bigger guns
    A sword
    A horse
    Another horse
    A book
    A dog
    A motorcycle helmet
    A motorcycle

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Things with which John Wick straight up murders a motherfucker in JW3, a partial list:

Guns
    Knives
    Bigger guns
    A sword
    A horse
    Another horse
    A book
    A dog
    A motorcycle helmet
    A motorcycle

It was getting to looney tunes level of murder and I appreciate that.

I also laughed out loud when he and Zero sat on the couch and the dude like sits right next to him and he gets up because dude come on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else feel like the glass house in the end detracted from the final fights rather than added to it? Or maybe I'm just too critical of the final fights in general...

It's like, the stuff with the horses and the stuff with Halle Berry were such highlights for me that everything else in the movie pales in comparison.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I feel like there's a bit of a weird break between the end of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3's opening. 2 ends with him taking the Good Boy back from Charon, and getting a marker off of Winston. Chapter 3 opens with him immediately sending Good Boy back to Charon, and going to get a marker from a book in the library.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I also liked Laurence Fishburne's "They got your finger? ain't that a bitch".

So John Wick 4, murder prosthetic finger? I can't imagine they'll want to CGI one of Keanu's fingers the whole movie and I don't think he's that method he'll chop one off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The one that I found very odd was the Grand Central station stuff.

They murder 2 people in the middle of Grand Central and no one even blinks. Compared to JW2 where people panicked during the train fight and they were trying to be stealthy in the station

• Options
    I feel like there's a bit of a weird break between the end of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3's opening. 2 ends with him taking the Good Boy back from Charon, and getting a marker off of Winston. Chapter 3 opens with him immediately sending Good Boy back to Charon, and going to get a marker from a book in the library.

Well he got his marker back from winston, and then he retrieves Halle Berry's marker from his emergency supply. The sending the dog back was he knew he was about to be in the shit and the dog would be in danger if it wasn't at the continental.

They knife murdered people, it's stealthy Nexus. It's Assassin Creed rules.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I fucking adored Halle Berry's velociraptor pooches. And Mark Dacoscos fanboying out over meeting John.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The glass fight felt like a step down from the mirror fight in 2 just because hiding the crew in the mirrors is hella harder, the way they played with the lights during the fights and that LED screensaver wall was probably more to cover up the crew than add difficulty to the the fights. But it was longer and had layers (literally) so it balances out.

• Options
    I do have to say someone who coordinates the action in the Wick movies loves shotguns. Like in 2 and 3 now there have been two like loving tributes to murdering people with a shotgun, and also like properly reloading and storing extra shotgun ammo.

I still think one of "oh damn" kills in the movie was in the knife area where like the last guy is in frame pulling out the knife Wick stuck in him and gets an axe to the head from John Wick out of frame.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do have to say someone who coordinates the action in the Wick movies loves shotguns. Like in 2 and 3 now there have been two like loving tributes to murdering people with a shotgun, and also like properly reloading and storing extra shotgun ammo.

I still think one of "oh damn" kills in the movie was in the knife area where like the last guy is in frame pulling out the knife Wick stuck in him and gets an axe to the head from John Wick out of frame.

Right before that has Wick shoving the knife into a guy's eye super-close to the camera. That was the squickiest.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Right before that has Wick shoving the knife into a guy's eye super-close to the camera. That was the squickiest.

Yeah the eye stab was definitely like the "oh god...." like it was almost Zombi level eye stabbing. I figured like he'd get hit and go lower, or they'd cut away, but nope we see him literally stab a man in the eye slowly, yep.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The glass fight felt like a step down from the mirror fight in 2 just because hiding the crew in the mirrors is hella harder, the way they played with the lights during the fights and that LED screensaver wall was probably more to cover up the crew than add difficulty to the the fights. But it was longer and had layers (literally) so it balances out.

Yeah I think this was part of it. They already did a fight with mirrors where misdirection was part of the scene. And then they just move from that to a house of glass. Which looks cool? I guess? But doesn't like, actually do anything for the fight except for those couple of times someone aimed a shot at someone else and whoops it's glass!

It really felt like something they added because it looked cool and not because it added anything to the action itself.

I almost wish they had the fight with Cecep and Yayan in a training room or something, even if only for a change of setting for the fight with Dacoscos.

Seriously though give me another 15 minute fight with those dogs.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm kind of disappointed that nobody got brained (or otherwise bludgeoned) by one of those crystal skulls.
    Seems like a thing that should have happened.

• Options
    So John Wick 4 has already been confirmed.

May 21, 2021.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What other franchise has an NBA superstar being murdered with a book?

This was the squickiest death for me. I don't know why, but that bothered me so much.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Also, even though it was in the trailers, my favorite line was "guns. Lots of guns."

• Options
    The one that I found very odd was the Grand Central station stuff.

They murder 2 people in the middle of Grand Central and no one even blinks. Compared to JW2 where people panicked during the train fight and they were trying to be stealthy in the station

Who hasn't been murdered in Grand Central tho

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So John Wick 4 has already been confirmed.

May 21, 2021.

When a movie makes money like John Wick Chapter 3 made money this weekend, a sequel it'sa basically a given.

And to think, this all started with Keanu Reeves doing some old work buddies a solid.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Damn. More comments later, but damn Winston. Cold... Should've knows something was up with the sunrise orange lighting. So thought wick would become an under the table assassin.

Also was expecting a hidden weapon under the negotiation table!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, home now!

SO!

I watched chapter one and two for the first time yesterday, and then this one today.

I think at some point these amazing stunt guys and such went "hey, Assassin's creed looks cool, let's do one better!"

I also wonder how much things were planned out. Obviously Ch. 1 was a standalone. But I keep sitting here and wondering...

If John Wick hadn't created the power vacuum, would Santino have still called in his marker a week later? Or was this a power play he was going to make all along?

And moreso.. does the high table know who ordered the original hit? They have to, based on the marker ledgers, right?

There's just so much still left on the table. Most notably, I feel, is the marker from the end of Chapter 2. He hasn't put down that favor, but I'm sure it will be the driver of some plot. There's also a lot of people John Wick is leaving alive...

Goddamn I love how Zero is such a fanboy.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was kind of hoping this would wrap up a trilogy, not just set up more sequel hooks. But oh well. We get more Wick.

Everything after Morocco dragged too much for my tastes. Best fights were the Morocco scene, the knife museum, and the stables. The glass office was just too confusing and flashy.

Did the Adjudicator come across as non-binary to anyone else?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Did the Adjudicator come across as non-binary to anyone else?
    Yep! I was happy about that.

I like the first 2 movies well enough but this one is really great, IMHO. The first one is too much about mopey Wick and all his emotions. The second one's better but ultimately a little flat. The third one is goofy as hell, it amps up the setpieces, and the humor is better. The whole interlude where he goes to the desert to meet a generic Middle Eastern man in order to get told to go BACK to New York to kill a guy seems kind of like a waste of time, but the rest of the movie I am 100% there for. Dogs in body armor fucking going to town on people? Yes please. Every time the camera lingered one one of the pooches tugging on a guy I was loving it. John Wick is a Romani orphan and Anjelica Huston raised him? Awesome awesome awesome. Ninjas led by the Iron Chef? Very cool. Jason Mantzoukas? Hopefully going to be the co-lead in John Wick 4, and hopefully Keanu Reeves passes the torch to him, and he's the new John Wick. Lance Reddick got to fight? Nice. Crazy knife fight? Wonderful. Etc. Can't wait for #4!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I just looked up Asia and at least the neck tattoo is actually theirs and not makeup. I don't think we see any other bare skin to see any of the others, but its cool that they built it into the character. Now it makes me wonder if part of the operator casting process was rockin' tattoos.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie; I didn't pick up on the non-binary nature of Asia or the Adjudicator. In my mind, they were just a no-nonsense force of "the wind" meant to enforce the rules and be the equivalent of a Judge from 2000AD. I was expecting them to be the final boss, and I'm very happy they weren't. Their character was a highlight for me too. So easy to hate and yet not for doing their job.

I gotta agree on the stuff with the Elder. There's more dangling plot points there like with Sofia and her fate, and what is up with her daughter. I wonder if the Elder knew how things would go down with Winston? You don't get into that kind of position just by nepotism, or at least that isn't how the world seems to me. So maybe that part will be resolved by Chapter 4 or 5. Maybe Wick is meant to remake the high table?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I love Asia Kate Dillon as the nonbinary character Taylor in Billions, but I assumed Dillon's Adjudicator was a woman based on the costuming (particularly the dangly earrings). Dillon says in that article that they "love that you have a non-binary person dressing in a femme way but their femme wardrobe doesn’t make them a woman," and that's technically true, but if the character dresses like a woman and never says out loud "My pronouns are they/theirs" or some other verbal indication of their gender identity, then I'm not sure that really counts as real representation, any more than a gay character counts as gay representation if they present as straight and I have to read an article to figure out their sexuality after the fact.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I haven't watch Billions, but love the Val character from gen:Lock and look forward to seeing them as the Adjudicator when I see Parabellum this week.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Only problem I have with the movie is John is either fighting super humans or wasting ammo all the time for no reason. Especially with the shotguns against the armored guys. You have limited ammo, dude!

Rest was aces.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    John Wick: *shoots a man full in the chest with a shotgun*

Man: *chest explodes, falls to the ground on his back*

John Wick: *shoots him twice more in the head with a shotgun, just to be sure*

(One or two more guys later)

John Wick: *frantically reloading because he’s out AGAIN, why does this keep happening to me he wonders*

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah there were multiple times I went

“Ok John I can understand double-tapping just because of muscle memory, but you just unloaded your entire clip into that dude when any one shot would be enough to kill him.”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Yeah my favorite was when he unloaded something like 6 shotgun rounds into the same guy - 2 to kill him, then 4 on his way falling down off of the ledge.

Dude, he's dead! We've established that you really need those shotgun rounds! Why are you shooting him when gravity is literally solving this problem for you already?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah my favorite was when he unloaded something like 6 shotgun rounds into the same guy - 2 to kill him, then 4 on his way falling down off of the ledge.

Dude, he's dead! We've established that you really need those shotgun rounds! Why are you shooting him when gravity is literally solving this problem for you already?

He's putting the fear of John Wick into Gravity.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    John read an article about fifty cent one time and said "shit I'm not using enough ammo". His overkilling people has always been a thing back to the first movie where he'd head shot people like 2 to 3 times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    One of the things I liked so much about the first film is that he did his best to make sure people were actually dead. I'm no action film expert, but I don't recall seeing the double-tap as standard procedure in many films.

Not sure I "get" the end? I know the action is the real star here, and the plot is just there to facilitate but... Winston kills Perkins himself (or near enough) in the first one for violating the rules. He gives John an hour head start in two - presumably because they're friends, but possibly just because he knows what historically happens to people who try to kill John. So then they go through this elaborate siege as a show that Winston is still a strong leader and... he shoots John? Is this a true betrayal? Or did he think John had a decent chance of surviving the fall?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    He shoots John Wick just like Sofia did in Morocco, in the chest which is protected by his suit.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just watched it last night. What a ride!

Loved the Good the Bad and the Ugly homage even if it was only to shoot one bullet.

Using horses as weapons was awesome.

The main bad guy's "notice me sempai" stuff was hilarious. That couch scene was amazing.

John "Wick" Jovonovich is a Jojo character now.

And I was half expecting that the bullet proof guys would just be wearing ten of those bullet proof magic suits, one on top of another
    dhvdljupgx7r.jpg

• Options
    Russad wrote: »
    One of the things I liked so much about the first film is that he did his best to make sure people were actually dead. I'm no action film expert, but I don't recall seeing the double-tap as standard procedure in many films.

Not sure I "get" the end? I know the action is the real star here, and the plot is just there to facilitate but... Winston kills Perkins himself (or near enough) in the first one for violating the rules. He gives John an hour head start in two - presumably because they're friends, but possibly just because he knows what historically happens to people who try to kill John. So then they go through this elaborate siege as a show that Winston is still a strong leader and... he shoots John? Is this a true betrayal? Or did he think John had a decent chance of surviving the fall?

He let John go in the second movie assuming he'd whether the fall out, but then the adjucator is like "give up the continental or die" and they literally send John Wick to kill him, so he makes the best deal for Winston and tries to kill the boogeyman. Except he didn't and whoops now you're mega fucked because now YOU stabbed the devil in the back Winston.

I actually suspect the fourth movie will have Charon shoot Winston for Wick close to the end of the movie "Mr. Wick".

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    After watching the analysis of 1 and 2, I paid a lot more attention in 3 to the long shots.

Dude.. Keanu Reeves can load shotgun shells in a way that sure looks like competitive shotgun folks. The way he'd just slam multiple in at the same time.