As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is over. Start your GOTY speculation

1222324252628»

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's a website, about video games

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    I know this is a bit off topic, but I've wondered for a while.

Why does Giant Bomb seem to be such a big deal to people around here? I don't mean this combatitively, I mean this as in I truly do not know what their deal is. I've gone to the site a couple of times and kind of just like didn't get it. What is their deal? What makes them so much more relevant to people here than like, Gamespot, or Kotaku, or whatever? What is their "lane", so to speak?

They're a halfway point between traditional games journalism and personality driven content like youtubers/streamers

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Why does Giant Bomb seem to be such a big deal to people around here? I don't mean this combatitively, I mean this as in I truly do not know what their deal is. I've gone to the site a couple of times and kind of just like didn't get it. What is their deal? What makes them so much more relevant to people here than like, Gamespot, or Kotaku, or whatever? What is their "lane", so to speak?

For me, they were one of the first personality driven gaming sites that seemed to move away from just posting review scores. Penny Arcade introduced me to them, back in the Whiskey Media days. I've seen the community evolve, people get pissed, people get pushed over the top, and everything in between.

Nowadays, everyone brings a different angle to things, like Jeff being an encylopedia of gaming knowledge, or Vinny being super friendly and the dad of the group. Admittedly my favorite personalities are gone (miss you, Ryan), but Abby and Ben are quickly growing in that respect.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Credibility via continuity, basically, and also that they are generally funny people. The main group has been together for a long time and they are kinda a well oiled machine at this point.

And because they've been doing this for a while they're 1) pretty knowledgeable about most industry related topics and 2) insulated from the bullshit PR/hype trap via the power of cynicism. It also helps that they are all very good writers. I follow individual writers at other game sites (Patrick and Austin at waypoint, who are of course Giant Bomb alums themselves, Jason and Gita at Kotaku), but Giant Bomb is one of the few sites, along with waypoint, where I can feel safe clicking just about any article without worrying that it's gonna be some dumb bullshit.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Ultimately it boils down to it being a personality driven website, and people like (for the most part) the people who work there. IMO, they produce some hilarious stuff and I greatly enjoy Jeff Gerstmann's deep, deep knowledge of videogame history.

Giant Bomb may have some extra credibility as it was founded in the wake of the Gerstmann firing scandel, where, while workng at Gamespot, Gerstmann posted a middling review of Kane and Lynch, which pissed off their advertisers (i.e. the people who were publishing Kane and Lynch) and so he was shown the door. He shortly thereafter started Giant Bomb with several of his former coworkers from Gamespot, so there's a level of integrity baked into the website from its very origins which may give it a leg up over other websites in some peoples minds.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Credibility via continuity, basically, and also that they are generally funny people. The main group has been together for a long time and they are kinda a well oiled machine at this point.

And because they've been doing this for a while they're 1) pretty knowledgeable about most industry related topics and 2) insulated from the bullshit PR/hype trap via the power of cynicism. It also helps that they are all very good writers. I follow individual writers at other game sites (Patrick and Austin at waypoint, who are of course Giant Bomb alums themselves, Jason and Gita at Kotaku), but Giant Bomb is one of the few sites, along with waypoint, where I can feel safe clicking just about any article without worrying that it's gonna be some dumb bullshit.

giant bomb has articles???

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, that should probably say content.

God I hate that word though

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I like giant bomb for their e3 coverage, goty, and the beastcast.

Also their involvement in league of heels.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I like Giant Bomb for their looks.

Which are Quick, but aren't really.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

They're a halfway point between traditional games journalism and personality driven content like youtubers/streamers

yeah it's like, what if let's players, but instead of doing sponsored videos they were journalists with some integrity, and also they refused* to do let's plays**

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

yeah it's like, what if let's players, but instead of doing sponsored videos they were journalists with some integrity, and also they refused* to do let's plays**

Yeah they do endurance runs instead

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I'll say that I am admittedly a bit of a snob when it comes to a lot of gaming videojournalism. A LOT of it has really poor production values and makes me frustrated. I work in TV and I can't get over poor mic placement, bad audio, bad lighting, bad sets. I just think it's unprofessional and immediately undermines whatever youre trying to do.

I don't watch a ton of Giant Bomb but every time I see anything I'm so impressed with how they make it a priority, behind the scenes, to think of the little things and keep a clean, easy to watch, professional broadcast. They have great sets and whenever I've seen them play a game together or watch an E3, they split the screen nicely and everyone is in frame and it's just really well done.

It goes a long way to "taking it seriously" or enjoying that they're actually giving you a product, its worth listening to or watching because they're paying people to entertain you or inform you. It's not just 5 people who like games sitting around with the room lights on and an iPhone.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ahhh I see. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ok, that must be why I've never "gotten it". I'm just not that into the kind of shaggy, hanging out with your buds feel of Youtube/Twitch type stuff. Every time I've logged on to GiantBomb to see what the deal is I just see a bunch of like, hour long videos and am like "no thanks".

I've always been more into a deliberate, well thought out article with interesting ideas and subject matter. Some of my favorite pieces are like the longish form stuff that Kotaku does with Kirk Hamilton, and the meditative reviews they've done of RDR2. Does anyone know of any websites that focus more on stuff like that (because, of course, Kotaku has plenty of trash and clickbait).

burbo on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular

there was this one time Vinny cast Bufu and it was very funny

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    oops

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »

there was this one time Vinny cast Bufu and it was very funny

The funny part was, casting Bufu is a bad thing in that combat!

• Options
    Ahhh I see. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ok, that must be why I've never "gotten it". I'm just not that into the kind of shaggy, hanging out with your buds feel of Youtube/Twitch type stuff. Every time I've logged on to GiantBomb to see what the deal is I just see a bunch of like, hour long videos and am like "no thanks".

I've always been more into a deliberate, well thought out article with interesting ideas and subject matter. Some of my favorite pieces are like the longish form stuff that Kotaku does with Kirk Hamilton, and the meditative reviews they've done of RDR2. Does anyone know of any websites that focus more on stuff like that (because, of course, Kotaku has plenty of trash and clickbait).

Vice Games (formerly Waypoint) sounds like it might be up your alley.

http://www.vice.com/games

• Options
    Rob Zacny’s article on waypoint today is very good.

We desperately need more games journalists like him who actually know history.

• Options

I'll have to check that out. I like how Kotaku approaches everything from a leftist, anticapitalist point of view. Is this website similar? I know some people think of Vice as kind of like, bro-fasch or something, but I've never really noticed that.

• Options
    I like and respect Waypoint/ Vice Games, but I've just... not been able to get into their stuff, mostly.

I think a lot of their stuff is Extremely Online in a way that actively pushes me away from it

Though that Kingdom Hearts explainer podcast was pretty fun, I oughta finish that sometime

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The other thing I like about Giant Bomb, in addition to the stuff other folks have said, is the balance Jeff manages to strike between being an old hand in this industry, and a font of knowledge, while also being forward thinking enough to have like, a whole segment about Game Workers Unite on an E3 show

I'd like to see some more of that forward thinking in terms of who they hire, but I'm willing to assume the best intentions because in every other respect they've tended to show the right kind of attitude towards change and growth

• Options

I'll have to check that out. I like how Kotaku approaches everything from a leftist, anticapitalist point of view. Is this website similar? I know some people think of Vice as kind of like, bro-fasch or something, but I've never really noticed that.

Oh buddy, you need to be reading waypoint.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Holy cow, yeah, Waypoint is essentially made for you if this is what you're looking for

• Options
    I should add that Waypoint’s ARTICLES are fantastic, and I’ll read those. Just a lot of their video content doesn’t appeal to me - though to be fair I haven’t really tried it in a while.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

"Surprise Mechanics"

Fuck offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I should add that Waypoint’s ARTICLES are fantastic, and I’ll read those. Just a lot of their video content doesn’t appeal to me - though to be fair I haven’t really tried it in a while.

They almost never do video content these days. Pretty much since it came out that that Facebook was just straight up lying about metrics.

It's all podcasts and articles.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

"Surprise Mechanics"

Fuck offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Surprise, it's full of bullshit!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

They almost never do video content these days. Pretty much since it came out that that Facebook was just straight up lying about metrics.

It's all podcasts and articles.

Part of it too is they just haven't had the resources. Austin mentioned on this week's show that the waypoint vice games staff is half as big as it was last year, and afaik Cado is the only production person they have. Though they also mentioned that they've been talking to video teams at vice and are trying to figure out how to do more video content again

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Rob Zacny’s article on waypoint today is very good.

We desperately need more games journalists like him who actually know history.

Thanks for the highlight, I really enjoy waypoint's articles and writing.

I'm really bummed about the website design tho, https://www.vice.com/en_us/section/games
    They really dissuade recurrent viewers in their design.
    They've got these giant categories, followed by the "latest offerings" at the very bottom.

So I've seen that Dr. Disrespect article since E3 or whatever.
    They could have new output in their "opinion" section, and I wouldn't know unless I scroll to the bottom, or recognize one of the 3 article differences in the separate categories from my past visit.
    I don't really understand emphasizing the differences between features, columns, opinion, on a website like Waypoint tho. I've never read something going, "Man I just wanna read a short article today, or whatever"

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I imagine some of the website design is mandated by Vice.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Oh totally, I get that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Great! Thanks guys

• Options
    You thought E3 was over?

Well, it is, but here's a doc about it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I imagine some of the website design is mandated by Vice.

yeah vice has bad web designers apparently

BahamutZERO.gif