As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Blade Runner is another one, the final part of the scene with Deckard and Rachael in his apartment.

Various people involved in the making of the film (including Ridley Scott) have since expressed regret at how that scene turned out. (Source: the commentaries on the Blu-ray.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    If we're talking about rapey films, then Rocky's first date with Adrian made me incredibly uncomfortable

He bothers her at her work for ages, then Paulie forces her to go out on their date, and then Rocky physically bars her from leaving his apartment

It's not Revenge of the Nerds levels of awful, but pretty fucking sketchy

Rocky was almost 45 years ago now. It's crazy how some conventions of interaction have changed in that time. I find anything before at least the 90s is often real side-eye worthy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Paulie was such a piece of human garbage in those movies

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was going to pull up that comic strip where they are charged with all of the crimes they committed in that movie, but I cannot find it. :?

I think that was Robot Chicken.

https://youtu.be/g9D3FQlekrM

Ah, yep, this is what I was thinking of. Thanks!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/07/08/jesus-rolls-big-lebowski-spinoff-starring-john-turturro-set-for-2020
    both Jeff Bridges and John Goodman will not be in the movie, nor will the Coen Brothers have any hand in the production

I will not abide this fucking... aggression, man!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    None of those three examples are quite on the same level, I’d say

RotN presents rape by deceit as a harmless prank

In Rocky, the idea is that Talia is so shy and socially inhibited that Rocky has to be persistent, if not forceful, to get through her personal barriers, which is a problematic concept but probably not rape within the context of the story

In Blade Runner, Deckard assaults Rachael, and that’s not really what the movie thinks is happening. It thinks, I suppose, that it’s okay for him to behave in a physically intimidating way, because as an artificial being she’s never done anything like this before and so he has to lead her through it, because she’s technically only a few years old and oh god it just keeps getting worse

In conclusion, I regret writing this post about how all not-supposedly-rape scenes are unique snowflakes

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Painting Florida as this epic bachanallian Oasis is great. It's fucking Fort Lauderdale, guys.

I'm morbidly curious about how it's portrayed, seeing as how I grew up in Broward.

The most accurate depictions of Florida I've ever seen in a film are The Florida Project and Stranger Than Paradise.

It's not very accurate. Unless you were on A1A and Las Olas during spring break before it got kicked out, anyway.

I deliberately try to avoid anywhere within 10 miles of the beach during spring break.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    In conclusion, I regret writing this post
    It's okay we've all accidentally posted on the same internet forum for 10 years

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    In conclusion, I regret writing this post
    It's okay we've all accidentally posted on the same internet forum for 10 years

16 years.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    In Blade Runner, Deckard assaults Rachael, and that’s not really what the movie thinks is happening. It thinks, I suppose, that it’s okay for him to behave in a physically intimidating way, because as an artificial being she’s never done anything like this before and so he has to lead her through it, because she’s technically only a few years old and oh god it just keeps getting worse.
    The scene could almost, almost work as the bitterest kind of self-aware irony. It is a queasy, supremely uncomfortable scene, and the blatant rapeyness in combination with Vangelis' OTT romantic saxophone tune could almost be read as a comment on how such scenes have been played in the past as romantic but how they're really anything but. But sadly there is nothing in what follows that supports that reading.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My wife hates Rocky, if only because her first name is Adrien.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Marty has the superior romance between a nerdy woman and a working class guy with a name ending in y

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    My wife hates Rocky, if only because her first name is ADRIIEEENNNNNN!

• Options
    And yes I said the line, I'm a simple creature.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I'd like to point out that in the context of 80s comedy sex capades, Venkmen's behavior in Ghostbusters is relatively benign.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    it was acceptable in the 80s
    it was acceptable at the time

I lived through and still unironically love the 80s, but a lot of it was Not Good. And that's not even getting into AIDS or nuclear annihilation, the two looming background anxieties of my adolescence.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that in the context of 80s comedy sex capades, Venkmen's behavior in Ghostbusters is relatively benign.

When Dana is clearly not in her right mind, and might even appear intoxicated (I don't think he knows she's possessed at the time), he makes a point of not taking advantage and just trying to get her safe in her home.

(I think I'm remembering it right, it's been a while.)

By '80s movie standards that almost qualifies him for sainthood.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I was about to ask

maybe this is why she hates the movie

• Options

I was about to ask

maybe this is why she hates the movie

Nah she hated it before I made the obvious joke.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

When Dana is clearly not in her right mind, and might even appear intoxicated (I don't think he knows she's possessed at the time), he makes a point of not taking advantage and just trying to get her safe in her home.

Though him using his University position to get with students (by lying to them) was not good.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I mean he punished the actual psychic to get with the not psychic lady. Peter was the real villain of ghostbusters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Does Caddyshack have anything intolerable by modern standards in it? I'm drawing a blank, or rather, I'm stuck every time I recall any scene with Rodney Dangerfield and start giggling like a madman.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Does Caddyshack have anything intolerable by modern standards in it? I'm drawing a blank, or rather, I recall any scene with Rodney Dangerfield and can't stop giggling like a madman.

It features Golf prominently.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Does Caddyshack have anything intolerable by modern standards in it? I'm drawing a blank, or rather, I recall any scene with Rodney Dangerfield and can't stop giggling like a madman.

....I dont think so?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Caddyshack top 10 movie nothing wrong with it. Kenny Loggins, Journey, Earth Wind and Fire and a madonna with meatballs.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I mean he punished the actual psychic to get with the not psychic lady. Peter was the real villain of ghostbusters.

This is all part of the arc, though.

Ghostbusters:
    Venkman is introduced as somebody who doesn’t really believe in what he’s doing, and for that reason he uses his position as a figure of scientific authority to manipulate and pursue women and (once they found the company) to make a profit. He does this in the psychic test, he does it when he meets Dana (the phallic air tester makes the connection between science and how he uses it), he does it with the hotel.

This whole process is connected to the (comedically sexual) idea of blockage. Over the course of the movie Venkman’s attempts to achieve sexual and financial success are continually frustrated—the university throws him out, Dana turns out to be a literal dog, and while even Egon is getting laid (not to mention the mostly-deleted sequence where Ray gets a ghost-job), Peter reluctantly ends up treating the possessed, seductive Dana with respect. Venkman’s drives are labeled as immaturity (especially by Dana, who mocks him, calling him a game show host, for example) and unprofessionalism, and this includes his decision to needlessly antagonize the EPA official when the man comes to visit. So these base desires are frustrated by Peter’s immaturity, resulting in the EPA official returning and causing an unfortunate, premature explosion of all the energy Peter and his friends have been storing up, wink wink, and now it’s all over the city wreaking havoc.

By the end of the film, seeing how dire the situation is, Venkman has risen to the occasion, and starts acting like a real hero. First by convincing the mayor to let them act selflessly (“If I’m wrong, we’ll go to prison, quietly, we’ll enjoy it”). (Given the film’s capitalistic underpinnings, it wouldn’t have been out of place for the Ghostbusters to negotiate a big fee for trying to save the city—except that it wouldn’t make sense for Peter’s arc at this point.) Then by leading the team against Zuul (“Let’s show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown”).

The gang shoot their guns off at this very feminine demon, but again, no result—still blocked. Gozer is summoned, but summoned as a fearsome icon of childhood gratification—a symbolic representation of Venkman’s childish drives, now made manifest and huge and disastrous for everyone around him, the way his internal drives have been operating. Venkman solves this problem with science and heroism (“Cross the streams...”), risking his life and in the process, finally proving himself as a scientist. The childhood icon is annihilated, the blockage releases, and everyone ends up covered in goopy white... um, marshmallow. Cue Ray Parker, Jr.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Ghostbusters:
    Venkman is introduced as somebody who doesn’t really believe in what he’s doing, and for that reason he uses his position as a figure of scientific authority to manipulate and pursue women and (once they found the company) to make a profit. He does this in the psychic test, he does it when he meets Dana (the phallic air tester makes the connection between science and how he uses it), he does it with the hotel.

This whole process is connected to the (comedically sexual) idea of blockage. Over the course of the movie Venkman’s attempts to achieve sexual and financial success are continually frustrated—the university throws him out, Dana turns out to be a literal dog, and while even Egon is getting laid (not to mention the mostly-deleted sequence where Ray gets a ghost-job), Peter reluctantly ends up treating the possessed, seductive Dana with respect. Venkman’s drives are labeled as immaturity (especially by Dana, who mocks him, calling him a game show host, for example) and unprofessionalism, and this includes his decision to needlessly antagonize the EPA official when the man comes to visit. So these base desires are frustrated by Peter’s immaturity, resulting in the EPA official returning and causing an unfortunate, premature explosion of all the energy Peter and his friends have been storing up, wink wink, and now it’s all over the city wreaking havoc.

By the end of the film, seeing how dire the situation is, Venkman has risen to the occasion, and starts acting like a real hero. First by convincing the mayor to let them act selflessly (“If I’m wrong, we’ll go to prison, quietly, we’ll enjoy it”). (Given the film’s capitalistic underpinnings, it wouldn’t have been out of place for the Ghostbusters to negotiate a big fee for trying to save the city—except that it wouldn’t make sense for Peter’s arc at this point.) Then by leading the team against Zuul (“Let’s show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown”).

The gang shoot their guns off at this very feminine demon, but again, no result—still blocked. Gozer is summoned, but summoned as a fearsome icon of childhood gratification—a symbolic representation of Venkman’s childish drives, now made manifest and huge and disastrous for everyone around him, the way his internal drives have been operating. Venkman solves this problem with science and heroism (“Cross the streams...”), risking his life and in the process, finally proving himself as a scientist. The childhood icon is annihilated, the blockage releases, and everyone ends up covered in goopy white... um, marshmallow. Cue Ray Parker, Jr.

Man, what?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Ghostbusters:

God I love your film analysis.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Ghostbusters:

Except the Stay Puft Man is Ray's childhood manifestation, not Venkman's. Also, Venkman did not come up with the idea to close the doors, Egon did.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    hey so i saw toy story 4

it was fine. Good, even! I actively enjoyed it. There was a pervasive feeling, though, of "here's some more Toy Story" in the movie. Like it was made for that and not because there was really enough more to say that it justified itself as a story. At least given the looming shadow of the previous movie's perfect ending.

Perhaps the fact that it was still good given that obstacle is an impressive enough feat.

Also, this has probably been talked about already, but two horrifying implications:
    near the beginning of the movie, when the toys are shoved in the closet, one of them has the line "it's getting warm in here" as if them all being stuffed in such an enclosed space in such proximity is making the closet warmer. Implying that the toys have some form of warm blooded metabolism.

also, the "bringing a spork to life" thing was handled fine, even though I think Toy Story getting this meta made it seem older and more tired, to me. What got to me was that Forky remembered he was trash. Meaning trash is, on some level, sentient?

Joking aside, the movie gets a solid "better than I though it'd be" out of ten.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Ghostbusters:

Except the Stay Puft Man is Ray's childhood manifestation, not Venkman's. Also, Venkman did not come up with the idea to close the doors, Egon did.

Also Venkman goes back to his snarky self not taking anything seriously. ‘He’s a sailor, we get this guy laid we won’t have any problems’.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #401: Night on Earth

Somehow the only Jarmusch feature prior to The Dead Don't Die that I've never got around to. This one's vignette driven, not unlike Coffee and Cigarettes: 5 different taxis in 5 different cities (L.A., New York, Paris, Rome, Helsinki) that serve as a means for different types of people to interact with one another across classes and races and dispositions. It's really difficult to see a film as vignette driven as this and avoid comparing the sequences to one another, which always feels weirdly unfair to me. In a more standard three-act story we really don't think of it in parts as they're causally linked with a protagonist and all that. I guess I'll say that, for the disparate locations and dramatic intentions of each segment, Jarmusch does a good job staying stylistically consistent. Though each camera setup for each taxi is marginally different, there's a similar quality of light and actor-first direction; and the framing devices, from the kitsch clocks and globes to the location shots of each city before the players are introduced are effective.

But just gut-level reaction here: only two of the segments are worth seeing. Winona Ryder bungles her role as a street-smart greasemonkey type in the L.A. section, the Paris part starts interesting but becomes languid and pensive as it moves on, and then Rome is the Roberto Begnini show. I guess mileage varies on the last one but even if you love the guy, it's the least interesting driver-customer relationship of the bunch. New York and Helsinki (both the coldest locations) have more interesting dialogue, a more interesting relationship between the characters and their surroundings, and are situated at either end of comedy (NY) and drama (Helsinki) comfortably. 2/5 isn't great, so I'll just say I didn't like it overall.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Samuel L Jackson was cast as Chris rocks dad in the new saw. Still can't believe this is a real thing

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »

Ghostbusters:

Also Venkman goes back to his snarky self not taking anything seriously. ‘He’s a sailor, we get this guy laid we won’t have any problems’.

That's pretty obviously him putting on a brave face.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rip Torn died. Given his propensity for getting into fights and drinking it's a miracle the stubborn old bastard got to 88, but well done anyway, Rip. More than once while watching him in Dodgeball I was unable to breathe from laughing so hard.
    Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

It took until I was in college before I understood why Rick Moranis came out of his apartment when Peter closed the door to Dana's apartment.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Rip Torn died. Given his propensity for getting into fights and drinking it's a miracle the stubborn old bastard got to 88, but well done anyway, Rip. More than once while watching him in Dodgeball I was unable to breathe from laughing so hard.
    Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Huh. I don't keep track of it, but I had assumed he'd already died, which was why he didn't appear in MiB3.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Freddie Jones has died as well. Thufir Hawat in David Lynch's Dune, but he was in a million movies and TV shows, and was never less than eminently entertaining.

This discussion has been closed.