Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    That or very sharp drops like from 60 to 20.

I played a demo at pax and there were noticeable performance dips but nothing really terrible or game breaking.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have these people played OoT? I've played games with severe framerate problems, this doesn't concern me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I mean, I guess dropping 30 IS a massive amount to drop, but in the context of going from 60 to 30, it's not really an issue IMO.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Constantly going from 60 to 30 is noticeable and jarring. It's still playable, but it is definitely a noticeable issue.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Sudden drops of 20+ fps is noticeable and jarring even when you go from 100 FPS down to 80. Suddenly going from 60 to 30 is pretty painful.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    It would bother me in a different genre of game but I don't think it will bother me here. I'd prefer it NOT drop, of course.
    Though, I never play undocked and the review I read that mentioned the drop said they played undocked, so it may not be an issue for me at all.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It wasn’t that it dropped from 60 right to 30 but it was between 60 and 30.

The video I saw it typically went to the high 40s from 60, and maybe worst case scenario it went from 45-ish to mid 30s.

But I never saw anything just drop from 60 straight down to 30.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Whoa. I totally thought this new link was a remake of A Link To The Past and was totally going to skip it since I had played it to death. Didn't know it was the GB one. Might be worth getting now.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    GameExplain has a video noting that if you download the game to the Switch's internal memory instead of your SD card that it runs better framerate wise in general, and in some spots stays at 60 FPS in places where there would be frame drops otherwise.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    What about the physical version?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    This supposedly has "massive frame rate problems", but a video of the gameplay I watched showed it only dropping from 60 to between 60 and 30, and that doesn't say "massive frame rate problems" to me.

When I think frame rate issues, i think stuttering around at a very unpleasant below 20 FPS

LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE 49 FPS

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I mean DF says it's overall fine, but the FPS drops they do show are pretty jarring. It's not hair in the soup jarring, but I can't fault anyone for being put off by performance issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KREpHaA0Tbo

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Soundtrack got posted (leaked?) and Tal Tal Heights is basically the perfect remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfmHRAJbis

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I mean DF says it's overall fine, but the FPS drops they do show are pretty jarring. It's not hair in the soup jarring, but I can't fault anyone for being put off by performance issues.

God, I feel crazy anytime a video like this gets posted. I just cannot tell any meaningful difference between 30 and 60. Are...are my eyes very, very bad?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »

God, I feel crazy anytime a video like this gets posted. I just cannot tell any meaningful difference between 30 and 60. Are...are my eyes very, very bad?

Is the device you're using to watch this running at 60hz?

And also is your YouTube instance getting up to the 60hz quality?

Not that I'm saying you're lying, just that you might not be seeing the difference because there literally is no difference on your end. 😀

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I watched the Digital Foundry video, that's definitely some dip for no real reason. Maybe the swamp area makes sense, because of all the shit happening on screen, but the transitions are inexcusable. Definitely not a game breaker, but just kind of disappointing. I hope they patch it sooner rather than later.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    When does Link's Awakening unlock, anyone know? I've got it preloading right now.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    When does Link's Awakening unlock, anyone know? I've got it preloading right now.

Like all first party games, it unlocks at (or a few minutes after) midnight eastern time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

Is the device you're using to watch this running at 60hz?

And also is your YouTube instance getting up to the 60hz quality?

Not that I'm saying you're lying, just that you might not be seeing the difference because there literally is no difference on your end. 😀

I'll look into this. I've just been operating on the assumption that either 1) I was being punk'd by the entire internet, or 2) there's something wrong with my vision that will almost certainly deteriorate and leave me blind by 40.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It's live on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I played through the first boss and it is very fun and the art style is tremendous! Frame rate is unfortunately noticeable, so hopefully that gets a patch soon.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    My biggest problem is I keep using Y as attack but that is my rocs feather and I cant ever put attack on y so I keep jumping into enemies.

Chamber dungeons could be fun but when I only have the chambers of the rooms of dungeons I've just completed it's a little tedious. Will wait till later in the game when I have more options.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I don't know if this was intentional or if something happen. but when i got up this morning i checked to make sure my switch downloaded my Links Awakening pre-order before going to work, and i noticed that the icon for it AND breath of the wild were shifted over to the front...did Breath of the Wild get an update last night?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I don't know if this was intentional or if something happen. but when i got up this morning i checked to make sure my switch downloaded my Links Awakening pre-order before going to work, and i noticed that the icon for it AND breath of the wild were shifted over to the front...did Breath of the Wild get an update last night?

Big billboard on top of Hyrule Castle that says "Buy Link's Awakening".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Instead of getting a sail from the old man, he says that you remind him of an old legend from long ago and links you to the e-shop page.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

What, do you think this is an EA game or something?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Is BotW in your cartridge slot? I think if you restart the system (not just put it in sleep mode) the icon of the game in your cartridge slot gets bumped to the front.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't realize JUST how accurately they recreated the world in the Link's Awakening remake. The DF video was great overall, but I really enjoyed seeing how they seemed to replicate everything down to the tile. As my favorite Zelda game growing up, though barely remembering it at this point, it makes me excited to fire it up later.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so the frame rate drop. are we talking Bloodstained bad or just 'noticeable' in a few areas?

because I watched the game explain video and while I noticed the drop a few times, it didn't look unplayable. How are the boss fights? If they're laggy, I'll hold off, but if they're fine, I have a trip to best buy I need to make.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »
    so the frame rate drop. are we talking Bloodstained bad or just 'noticeable' in a few areas?

because I watched the game explain video and while I noticed the drop a few times, it didn't look unplayable. How are the boss fights? If they're laggy, I'll hold off, but if they're fine, I have a trip to best buy I need to make.

It drops to 30 pretty frequently, but not under. It's definitely not unplayable, but it IS noticeable. It happens when the game loads a new area of the map, but doesn't appear to happen because of too much stuff on the screen, though oddly it does happen in the map screen as well.

Watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look and you can see it happen a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_oMsWoRYd8

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    are the frame problems your mentioning only in handheld? cause i mostly play docked.

• Options
    are the frame problems your mentioning only in handheld? cause i mostly play docked.

No, it happens either way.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I skip around in the videos because I don't want to see too much so I've not really noticed any slowdown that is going to bug me. I'll find out in a few hours, I suppose!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I happened to skip to the part in the video where the woman speaking said she couldn't notice it and the guy said he could tell but it really wasn't very bad.

Looks like I'll be picking it up and going in blind because I never played the gameboy version!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I happened to skip to the part in the video where the woman speaking said she couldn't notice it and the guy said he could tell but it really wasn't very bad.

Looks like I'll be picking it up and going in blind because I never played the gameboy version!

Oof, I love Link's Awakening and I envy you.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Damn I'm thirsty to try this.

I am a Heretic of Zeldas - as far as I'm concerned the entire series peaked at LttP, and I haven't truly enjoyed one of them since. But I also never played Link's Awakening so this is basically LttP II: Way Prettier + 25 Years Late to me.

CURSE YOU FRIDAY MORNING, YOU ARE NOT NEARLY FRIDAY ENOUGH!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

I am a Heretic of Zeldas - as far as I'm concerned the entire series peaked at LttP, and I haven't truly enjoyed one of them since. But I also never played Link's Awakening so this is basically LttP II: Way Prettier + 25 Years Late to me.

You didn't enjoy Link Between Worlds?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Ya, first time for me as well.

Excite!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »

You didn't enjoy Link Between Worlds?

Didn't play it - never came to Switch! But I heard good things.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I've got a 6 hour flight tonight and I've also never played it. I'm so fucking hot for it.

This discussion has been closed.