As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't normally mind when someone traps, especially if we don't have are full carts and a monster can potentially like double cart. I was actually surprised the new big bad can be trapped to be honest.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I just got this!

Was enjoying the additional content in iceborne that grew since I put it down. That put me in the mood for new MonHun.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always wonder if people get upset when you finish with a trap? I did that on my last hunt because my break time at work was up and I was the only hunter near a sleeping wounded monster. Sorry guys!

I think there's a few rewards you can only get if you kill it or if you trap it.

Or, if that's not correct, it sure seems like a thing people think.

Its slightly different between versions. Tri almost always favored capture with a few exceptions. World tables were same, capture got you an extra reward vs the risk of finishing the hunt before that last break/tail happened.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know he's everyones least favorite monster, just a boring ass muddy piscene wyvern, but I gotta be honest

I didn't hate the Jyuratodus fight this time

• Options
    I never really care what other hunters do in a hunt as long as they are active. I'd take a triple carting kid over a camp sitter any day.

If anyone has pet peeves they should say so beforehand, or if they want a focus on a specific part.

• Options
    I know he's everyones least favorite monster, just a boring ass muddy piscene wyvern, but I gotta be honest

He's in this? That's surprising! I fought that mud snake and holy shit is that guy a right bastard

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

He's in this? That's surprising! I fought that mud snake and holy shit is that guy a right bastard

Almudron is a pretty sick fight.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So I've made a bunch of quests for the drop in, but how do you join other people's SoS type quests?

The arzuros bow is legit stupid. I have the 3rd and probably last rank of it and I haven't really seen anything that looks that great. I just did the urgent to unlock 6 star hub and it still seems to do good damage. Also the aerial silkbind is sweet, 3 rapid shots in the air followed by the slam does a ton of damage.

Haven't really found an armor set I want to get. I just have 4 pieces of HR izuchi and ingot legs I think.

I did read attack boost with at least 4 points is insane because it gives a % boost to raw which is obviously really good with stronger weapons. So I'll probably make some rathalos pieces once I get to him.

4 hunters + dogs is like way too much visual noise. Can't even see what the monster is doing. I may start bringing the cat in multiplayer just so I can try to reduce it.
    The Magnamalo Bow adds Blast and also has Spread Shot (Rapid, followed by Spread then Spread). It's basically the best spamming bow because of the Blast.

I've switched over to a shot-shot-shot-Dragonpiercer gameplay style (similar to MHW) with a Pierce bow, and the Nargacuga bow is ideal for this (even without Power Coatings).

For Attack Boost, you can use a mix of Barroth, Baggi, and Ingot Legs to get a ton of Attack Up (swapping in Anjanath and Rathalos when you get to that point). I think I used that combo all the way through HR 6.

I honestly just spam R2 with the arzuros bow. It seems to just do so much more damage than charging and hitting A for the extra shots. I just use the close range coating and blast faces or whatever weak spot with that spread 5. I think I used power coatings in 1 hunt and didn't see any appreciable difference between it and close.

I don't think I understand dragon piercers critical range or something. Sometimes I shoot and it does 50 per hit other times it does 8 to the same monster in the same spots.

• Options
    Lavasioth was the useless one I hated.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm flying through village quests but i'm mostly just running the hammer

finding the wirebug/wirebug moves a little awkward and unintuitive to use still

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    There was mention of great music and I gotta say I have the magnamalo theme just running through my head all day.

Also damn him and the desire sensor, still no plate.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Can you like a whole group or is it limited to one hunter? If its not limited to one hunter I've been a huge asshole this whole time.

Any hunter in the range of a weapons hurtbox will get tripped up. The wide, sweeping longsword attacks are the absolute biggest source of frustration with this.

I know it was an issue in the past, I just didn't think that was present in Rise since I haven't noticed being staggered at all.

I feel like since I play a weapon that relies on constant hitting I notice being tripped up in a mulitplayer chaos ball a lot more than others might, and it's a much bigger deal for my overall damage getting interrupted.

Also, I turned on the white player outline silhouette so I can see myself when obscured and yeah, I was definitely getting tripped up.

Some moves on some weapons have armor to light staggers from both enemies and allies, like getting caught in longsword slashes or dual blade flurries. I'm not sure what the complete list of hunter attacks that do cause friendly staggers is, but longsword and dual blades are the ones I notice it from the most. Greatsword (and hammer I think? at least the charge up swing) has a lot of light stagger armor on its swings so you don't get interrupted by friendlies much on GS, especially while charging.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »

I struggle to use it to get around the environment. Like I'll see where the game wants me to go, but just can't get the horizontal/vertical combined with my hunter climbing to get it to work.

As far as weapon moves go, I never really use the long sword counter one even though I should, the charge and slash is just too good to give up and everytime I try the web counter the fucking monster is all "nah sorry bro not hitting you now."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So I've made a bunch of quests for the drop in, but how do you join other people's SoS type quests?

The arzuros bow is legit stupid. I have the 3rd and probably last rank of it and I haven't really seen anything that looks that great. I just did the urgent to unlock 6 star hub and it still seems to do good damage. Also the aerial silkbind is sweet, 3 rapid shots in the air followed by the slam does a ton of damage.

Haven't really found an armor set I want to get. I just have 4 pieces of HR izuchi and ingot legs I think.

I did read attack boost with at least 4 points is insane because it gives a % boost to raw which is obviously really good with stronger weapons. So I'll probably make some rathalos pieces once I get to him.

4 hunters + dogs is like way too much visual noise. Can't even see what the monster is doing. I may start bringing the cat in multiplayer just so I can try to reduce it.
    The Magnamalo Bow adds Blast and also has Spread Shot (Rapid, followed by Spread then Spread). It's basically the best spamming bow because of the Blast.

I've switched over to a shot-shot-shot-Dragonpiercer gameplay style (similar to MHW) with a Pierce bow, and the Nargacuga bow is ideal for this (even without Power Coatings).

For Attack Boost, you can use a mix of Barroth, Baggi, and Ingot Legs to get a ton of Attack Up (swapping in Anjanath and Rathalos when you get to that point). I think I used that combo all the way through HR 6.

I honestly just spam R2 with the arzuros bow. It seems to just do so much more damage than charging and hitting A for the extra shots. I just use the close range coating and blast faces or whatever weak spot with that spread 5. I think I used power coatings in 1 hunt and didn't see any appreciable difference between it and close.

I don't think I understand dragon piercers critical range or something. Sometimes I shoot and it does 50 per hit other times it does 8 to the same monster in the same spots.
    I think it's based on your charge level just before you activate it. Zero charge (bow isn't glowing) = 21 21 21 7 6, 1 Charge (Bow glows red) = 56 56 56 19 19, 2 Charge (Bow glows yellow) = 94 94 94 25 25 when I hit with a Narga Bow with my current set of armor. You can either hold down zR to charge up or spam multiple shots to charge up (It rotates from Charge 0 -> Charge 1 -> Charge 2 -> Charge 2 (bow leans to the left) -> Repeat). So optimal Dragonpiercer usage is either Charge up to full and shoot or Spam arrows to Charge 2 then shoot. Or (and this is easier for me), just activate when your bow is glowing Yellow.

Spamming shots wastes coatings, but if you are using Close Range Coatings anyway, it doesn't matter much. Close Range Coatings halves your range, but you are going to be just outside of tailsweep range with Spread Bows anyway. I think Power Coatings boost damage by 50%, so it's a keeper for when you are using a "normal" bow rotation.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

ABC

Always
    Be
    Cwirefalling

• Options

The hammer wirebug moves are redundant, really, when you first start out. zR+A is close range, but burns two Wirebugs. zR+X is longer range and more awkward to hit, but only burns one Wirebug. With a hammer, I find that I close the distance a LOT using zR+X or get just out of Tailsweep range to dodge, then come right back in with zR+X. Finally, I hit flying monsters or monsters climbing a wall (like Tobi-Kadachi or Bishaten) very well with it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Best thing about hammer wirebug attacks is how easy it is to put monsters in the mountable state with them. It's pretty much a free ride on whatever you hit.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I think maybe I'm going to try making the weeb stick work. They always make the Long Swords look so cool, but I never feel like I can make it through a whole combo with it. Maybe now with the Iai counter I can get my meter filled w/o spending a decade wiffing the spirit roundslash.

Edit: Also, Solmnacath armor comes with Sleep Attack and Bombardier? I appreciate them making a set clearly oriented towards sleep bombing.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Why can't I be like Tony Jaa in the movie and use longsword and bow : (
    A bow that shoots longswords, and when they hit in a wide area around the monster, they trip up everyone.
    That's just cluster bomb ammo.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man, they really 'streamlined' Hunting Horn, huh?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Anyone have any thoughts on hunting horn's bead of resonance vs. normal heavy wire move? Bad, good?

I heard it plays every song you perform twice so if you have a heal it doubles up etc.?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I was definitely in the same boat at first, but now after consciously forcing myself to think about them and use them as much as possible to get a feel for their flow and utility it's finally starting to click

• Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on hunting horn's bead of resonance vs. normal heavy wire move? Bad, good?

I heard it plays every song you perform twice so if you have a heal it doubles up etc.?
    Basically, it's great for Melodies that play once without a duration, like one-shot heals. It also adds Attack Up to pretty much any hunting horn. Earthshaker is a HUGE damaging move, though, so it's probably better for general play. If you make it to the end of the content in the current game, there's a Hunting Horn with Healing (L) that works really well to top off everyone with Bead of Resonance.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Is the free Attack Up for everyone, or just the horn user? I saw conflicting reports.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Whew. Opened up HR, was surprised when the license test quest didn't do it on its own. Made first armor set. Am broke, because I also bought the armorcharm finally. Found both campsites in Frost Islands, but I need to go find pelts for one and... I haven't opened all the "kill 8 X" ones yet.

Have to decide what to do on weapons... going to need to make some lance or other until I can start upgrading my others (i.e. to kill stuff TO upgrade them, since Ludroth and Aknosom lances are easy...), probably going to warm up on Great Izuchi since it has a neat looking lance.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Is the free Attack Up for everyone, or just the horn user? I saw conflicting reports.
    No idea! I assumed it was everyone, but I can't verify this.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    made the Magnamalo hunting horn and just have been wrecking faces, gave the second Switch skill a shot on it as well... (the one that drops the orb that resonates with your songs) I couldnt really tell if it was doing a damn thing, so switched back and just use that heavy hitting attack to crush monsters. So far I have been using hunting horn, light bowgun and switch axe. I had made a few gunlances and I likely will make a decent lance when I can.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    So, am I the only one who looks at the shield on Zinogre's lance and thinks screw attack?

• Options
    I feel crazy powerful right now...but it comes from doing village quests while already in group HR.

I have the HR volvidon set fully upgraded. Paralysis attacks increased, and evade extender 3 which is INSANE. And using a rank 5 spidery horn with paralysis...with the rampage slot paralysis boost too. Also horn maestro talisman.

The horn's songs are def up, affinity up, and small health + antidote. And I have socketed in sleep and paralysis immunity, so few statuses can touch me. And if bead of resonance is of benefit to the party, it's good this horn doesn't have attack up, the bead would just synergize with everything else.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Almudron is a pretty sick fight.

Its armor and weapons are great-looking. (Well the duals are; they're serrated rings. I haven't checked anything else.) The buddy gear is also great design.

Speaking of which, I hired a palamute with the random name of Rush. In a cosmic coincidence, this was immediately before I hunted my first Volvidon. The Volvidon palamute set is perfect for that name...

I struggle to use it to get around the environment. Like I'll see where the game wants me to go, but just can't get the horizontal/vertical combined with my hunter climbing to get it to work.

ZR is your friend when using it in the environment. The problem with X and A is that it goes in the direction your hunter is facing; ZR will always go away from the camera.

This video GH made from the demo is what really got me web-slinging across the skies. You can cover a ton of distance fairly easily.

https://youtu.be/EX7IQYwNjq4

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I’m running evade extender 3, evade window 1, constitution 2 and basically dodging is faster and cheaper than running. And it combos into my attacks with dodgebolt! I’m an arrow-flinging beyblade and it’s Good.

• Options
    Rise is the most anime MonHun ever, basically.

• Options
    made bishaten swaxe, backtracked to great izuchi to start making a longsword

uh

izuchi lasted like a minute, tops

swaxe fucks

• Options

uh

swaxe fucks

Soaring Wyvern Blade is ridiculous, it's like 3/4 the gauge if the whole thing connects. I don't know why you'd use the alternative ever with it.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Lucedes wrote: »
    I’m running evade extender 3, evade window 1, constitution 2 and basically dodging is faster and cheaper than running. And it combos into my attacks with dodgebolt! I’m an arrow-flinging beyblade and it’s Good.

Dodgebolt is so much fun, it's kinda ridiculous.

It's definitely gotten me in trouble from being too aggressive, but parrying Magnamalo's tail stab and getting that huge stagger so you can unload into it's face is the best feeling in the game.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

uh

swaxe fucks

Soaring Wyvern Blade is ridiculous, it's like 3/4 the gauge if the whole thing connects. I don't know why you'd use the alternative ever with it.

Invincible Gambit was my go to for the most part, being able to glide right in and start whaling on a monster without worrying about them knocking you around is nice. Would likely be better with full Focus as it does take awhile to get full charge.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    HR4 get, just off of doing the campaign plus the rank ups basically. Been dropping into some multi, but only with lower rank friends. Let the true fashion show begin.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Finally got my copy yesterday.

Capcom, I need like another 20 pet the dog good boi animations, stat. I love him so much.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    4.5 minutes to do royal ludroth!

switch axe holy shit

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I just hit HR2 after I finished the first tier of hub quests. I did most of them with randos and the last one (hunting froggodile chonkyboi) solo. I'm only a couple quests into 3* village and hub was definitely harder but in a good way.

I've been jumping around between charge blade, switch axe, and longsword and while I love charge blade its crafting options seem ... anemic. I find myself going back to switch axe often.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705