As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Skyrim [chat] thread

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I saw another article today blaming millennials for the suburban housing marking stagnation and I had the thought,

“Dude, we’re like 40 now. Stop blaming us for things. We are the mainstream. We can’t afford houses and if we could we still wouldn’t move to the suburbs. Fuck all the way off.”

Millennials are killing the suburbs!

Good.

how does the story in that article square with

1. covid wfh allowing a decent chunk of people with homebuying income to live more exurban but still work their prior job
    2. housing prices soaring, especially in urban areas, meaning millenials are forced to live in suburban areas whether they want to or not

hm sometime in the next couple months I'm going to have actual analysis on this but not sure if by demographic really, since ACS data for 2020 isn't released until sept. I'm going to get some good house prices data though

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Monica, I need to speak with you. We've had another customer complaint about your dark energies again.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Dis bish acting like you gotta have a degree in Hellitical Science to see that Monica's straight from the underworld.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have now watched Centaurworld 3 times.

So many good singing voices and such tight storytelling and lovingly-crafted animation.

Even the parts I don't care for are still strong examples of what they are.

I really do wish there were extended, cleaner-toned versions of the songs, though. Broadway tone changes are a bit tedious to listen to a lot, and short songs feel like broken promises.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    @Echo i emailed Bellroy because my wallet didn't arrive in the specified delivery time and they're following up with the courier and sending me another one for free via express shipping

i am going to end up buying so much from this fucking company aren't i

Tav on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Playing Fallout 4 again because sometimes you just want to play a dumb shooty game with crafting elements and the occasional nod toward role playing

Love it when I run into a “Legendary” enemy and I use a crazy amount of am o to put it down and it drops a piece of armor that gives a 15% boost to chem effect duration or something

Definitely don’t want to track down the team who decided the game needed random encounter minibosses and kick them in the fun bits.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I got an AI powered app that does plant identification (it's called picturethis, it's good fun)

If you take a picture of a mushroom or other fungus you have to click through a massive warning about not using it to tell if something's edible before it will give you results

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When I played FO4 I ran into one of those legendary-probably Deathclaw or something in that vein but I was very low level. I ran into a lighthouse with a narrow door, the deathclaw got stuck and I could just plink it forever until it died but only after most my weapons broke from use.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Monica is the only thing preventing vacuum decay

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo i emailed Bellroy because my wallet didn't arrive in the specified delivery time and they're following up with the courier and sending me another one for free via express shipping

i am going to end up buying so much from this fucking company aren't i

They seem like a pretty great company, yeah. I'll actually use my backpack for the first time tomorrow, so I've been all giddy and experimenting with how to pack it.

giphy.gif

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I remember the quarry in FO4 that repeatedly spawns deathclaws, which then slowly rise into the air until they vanish from view

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I save my bottecap mines for Deathclaws.

They’re crazy rare (the mines) in FO4 as compared to New Vegas which handed them out like candy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    i bounced of FO4 real hard

i can't remember exactly what it was but something about the inventory system just made me nope out

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    *glances at bellroy wallets*

That looks like a premium price for a premium product 🤓

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    *glances at bellroy wallets*

That looks like a premium price for a premium product 🤓

i had to pay to not have rfid blocking in a wallet : (

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options

i can't remember exactly what it was but something about the inventory system just made me nope out

I bounced off because it was apparent they hadn’t had a new thought in 8 years. I know it’s not the case, exactly, but it felt like they just opened up Fallout 3 and started replacing the map.

It’s weirdly lazy for what is still so much content.

But really also the tech and how cows would spawn inside my house and ruin shit. For some people the tech is worth the incredible jank but I just can’t anymore.

Some players see subway-head-man as a smart workaround but I see a company completely unwilling to develop or improve.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

I bounced off because it was apparent they hadn’t had a new thought in 8 years. I know it’s not the case, exactly, but it felt like they just opened up Fallout 3 and started replacing the map.

But really also the tech and how cows would spawn inside my house and ruin shit. For some people the tech is worth the incredible jank but I just can’t anymore.

Some players see subway-head-man as a smart workaround but I see a company completely unwilling to develop or improve.

I will almost assuredly not be buying the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls game

It’s unconscionable the level of apathy at that company in both contexts of innovation and improvement

• Options

It’s unconscionable the level of apathy at that company in both contexts of innovation and improvement

I promise myself that I won’t but they have so much marketing money and I am only human.

I bet they’ll make some part of Starfield look attractive enough to me that I can’t help myself. But then I’ll play it and it’ll still be Gamebryo (but with 2018 level raytracing now!!) and a quest will bug out and I’ll quit again.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I suppose everyone already dragged the "one spice" guy from the Washington Post, right?

• Options

Thankfully we wont need to since they will be on game pass.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

This feels 100% like all of Bethesda's in-house development.

• Options
    part of me wants to pick up a next gen console but apparently they don't play nice with my ultrawide monitor

i have a tv but it's downstairs and i'm not going downstairs to play games

oh this stressful life i lead

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Skyrim doing so phenomenally well has honestly been galling to see when I'm pretty sure Bethesda Game Studios have been on a slow downwards trajectory for the entirey of their existence; I still look at Morrowind as the peak of their output and basically everything since then has been just a little bit worse.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I saw another article today blaming millennials for the suburban housing marking stagnation and I had the thought,

“Dude, we’re like 40 now. Stop blaming us for things. We are the mainstream. We can’t afford houses and if we could we still wouldn’t move to the suburbs. Fuck all the way off.”

Millennials are killing the suburbs!

Good.

Meh, I'm pretty ok with "Fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall."

Mostly because fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    What is there in Skyrim people endlessly want to repeat? I can totally see the attraction of going back to an old game for various reasons, and just got done replaying and thoroughly enjoying the ME legendary edition, but the eternal attraction of Skyrim eludes me.

It has a main storyline most people agree is pretty weak. The combat is clumsy. After a certain point the only challenging enemies are dragons and top level wights. What is it people want to re-experience?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    What is there in Skyrim people endlessly want to repeat? I can totally see the attraction of going back to an old game for various reasons, and just got done replaying and thoroughly enjoying the ME legendary edition, but the eternal attraction of Skyrim eludes me.

It has a main storyline most people agree is pretty weak. The combat is clumsy. After a certain point the only challenging enemies are dragons and top level wights. What is it people want to re-experience?

Shooting people in the head with arrows and giggling when they not only don't die but proceed to shrug it off as if nothing had happened while going back to their pre-determined wander path with an increasing number of arrows literally sticking out of their heads.

• Options

I think it is still the world - the densely populated-with-entities nature of it. Object persistence and interactivity.

To the designer’s credit they dare to not care a lot about how systems and shit affects other shit and just let it fly. It’s a janky unworkable ugly mess but I think in a similar way to the Minecrafts etc it’s a fun sandbox for many people.

So they have financial incentive in being lazy and not giving a fuck. But that is off putting to me personally at least.

• Options
    I don’t mean they’re lazy in that sense like I’m sure everyone at Bethesda works hard and that Todd Howard goes to a lot of meetings every week. But like lazy as a company.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I feel like that about all the elder scrolls. Yeah it’s a big ole world with lots to do. And not much else.just exploring and power fantasy.

zepherin on
  • Options
    i think people like having a massive, first person world to explore at their leisure

yes it's a big janky mess but are there really that many open world games that are better?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Skyrim is interactive in such a shallow way, though. Like, sure, I can pick up any item and throw it at anyone and murder (almost) anyone I'd like. But the game doesn't really respond to my actions. Sixty hours in and I'll still have the same bandits trying to shiv me and everyone giving almost exactly the same canned responses from before I was lord high duke of the wizardry school for indecisive thieves and fully clad in glowing demon armour.

• Options
    I'm gonna try to be more positive I feel like I've been whining about things since work started up after summer.

• Options
    We haven't been to the cinema since late 2019 I think, I was considering now taking Julia to see Promising Young Woman for her birthday.

I know that she wants to see it and it's one of the few movies now that is still theatre-exclusive here. But I think I understand it's a heavy ass film. Even if she wants to see it maybe it's not a great birthday surprise to go cry and feel bad together? Is it absurdly heavy?

• Options
    During todays training for the new locks:
    • Found out that out master physical key that we kept at all times yeah were supposed to have a minimum of 5 on property cause they are only sold in multiples of that number we only had one
    • No one including the GM knew what the other key that looked similar was for it was for the boxes for the outdoor entrance keys we only had one of those too
    • Why did we only have one key though the lock dude was wondering well its because....
    • Said master key also works at many other properties management just assumed this was the norm, It was not.
    • What has really happened was at some point in the past our previous management company(before they were ejected by the actual owners) likely bought lets say 500 locks and got master keys with them and gave x number of locks and a master key to each property probably to cheap out on costs. Each property! should have a unique cylinder and keyset!
    • Now onto new key stuff
    • All FD staff have a unique FD staff keyfob for door access and to log into the new key making system.
    • After me and another staff member asking if its really necessary (Im mildly prone to forgetting my keys at home when the wife locks the door for me when I leave) and being told yes the lock dude decided to act some kind of superior about how he doesn't know how people lose keys he's never lost a key, I also very specifically do not keep my house keys on me at work they are in my backpack in my locker.
    • Our keys have a password and the manger wanted to know all passwords (not a chance)
    • Housekeeping staff as well are expected to keep personal keys the manager said no under no circumstances will they leave the property, door lock guy once again didn't understand why
    • Apparently the vast majority of properties housekeeping have wristbands instead of fobs because its just much more convenient and less prone to losing them. Manger also tried to fight tooth and nail to avoid this although she relented in the end.

• Options
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If Millennials are killing the suburbs, why are suburban houses so fucking expensive?

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Holy fucking shit

I (for obvious reasons) have not listened to the referenced 10 minute anti-trans bit by Gervais, but it must have been some real shit for it to make it into (at least) two separate comedians' sets

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.