As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Skyrim [chat] thread

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Holy fucking shit

I (for obvious reasons) have not listened to the referenced 10 minute anti-trans bit by Gervais, but it must have been some real shit for it to make it into (at least) two separate comedians' sets

Three so far! Apparently Frankie Boyle name drops him in his latest special too

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Well I got too curious and read a couple articles about it and jfc

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Holy fucking shit

I (for obvious reasons) have not listened to the referenced 10 minute anti-trans bit by Gervais, but it must have been some real shit for it to make it into (at least) two separate comedians' sets

Dang!

It's unusual for a comedian to get called out like this, isn't it? I admit I'm not very plugged into the comedian gossip scene, but I always got the sense that there was a certain amount of solidarity or at least lack of serious commentary.

Like, these aren't just "hey, tone it down Ricky", Acaster and Kumar were scathing.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

the tweets are bad but also incredibly lazy so i got exactly what i expected

• Options

Were the tweets the same as the bit from his special? Buncha shit about Caitlyn Jenner, plus some general 'I identify as' drek.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Vanilla pls

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    What if we put Ricky Gervais and James Corden in a rocket and....

• Options

Were the tweets the same as the bit from his special? Buncha shit about Caitlyn Jenner, plus some general 'I identify as' drek.

nah, some boring shit in defence of JK and how men are ruining womenhood and blah blah blah

his last tweet literally started with "I don’t try to offend, but the more people are offended by a joke" and i can only read it in Acaster's voice

• Options
    I do that James Acaster shit all the time now

I have it memorized

What's the matter guys?

Too C H A L L E N G I N G for you?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Just sayin, all these callouts are gonna make it real awkward at the next luncheon

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    "Nish, could you pass the butter."

"I dunno Ricky, can you pass on a shitty trans joke?"

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I doubt Ricky hangs around with actual standups

He's too busy ego searching Twitter

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I doubt Ricky hangs around with actual standups

He's too busy ego searching Twitter

I keep thinking back to that HBO thing where Gervais, Louis CK, Seinfeld, and Chris Rock were all sitting around shooting the shit about comedy

and just like

how different that room looks now than it did back then

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Holy fucking shit

Dang!

It's unusual for a comedian to get called out like this, isn't it? I admit I'm not very plugged into the comedian gossip scene, but I always got the sense that there was a certain amount of solidarity or at least lack of serious commentary.

Like, these aren't just "hey, tone it down Ricky", Acaster and Kumar were scathing.

i have no way of backing this up but i think we're getting to a stage where younger, more progressive voices are established enough that they can say fuck you to someone of Ricky's stature and not risk tanking their entire career

i get the feeling that's helped by being able to cultivate a following through an online presence and podcasts and the like, people are more likely to follow a specific comedian now than they are to know a comedian as being the guy off the telly so you have that bit more wiggle room to call out people and not be worried about what networks might think

• Options
    I'm trying to think of a single panel show appearance Gervais has made, and I'm coming up dry

Unless he's got a script or can control who he gets to bully like Karl Pilkington, he's useless, like when he truly honoured Lady Di's memory at her memorial concert by dying a public and unpleasant death

(Yes I stole that joke from Frankie Boyle)

• Options
    I don't know a lot about Frankie Boyle, unfortunately, but for some reason I do know that he gives no fucks about calling someone out.

I can't remember who it was or literally anything about the bit, but I have a strong emotional memory of Frankie delivering some line about some shithead ??comedian-maybe?? and me going "oh shiiiii"

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Toronto officer pleads guilty to misconduct for shooting at unarmed man who had back turned

Misconduct? that sounds like attempted murder to me.

• Options
    Toronto officer pleads guilty to misconduct for shooting at unarmed man who had back turned

Misconduct? that sounds like attempted murder to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oopsie!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    On a different note, seems like the new Aliens game isnt trash and thats good news.

• Options
    I don't know a lot about Frankie Boyle, unfortunately, but for some reason I do know that he gives no fucks about calling someone out.

I can't remember who it was or literally anything about the bit, but I have a strong emotional memory of Frankie delivering some line about some shithead ??comedian-maybe?? and me going "oh shiiiii"

he's very scumbag left

incredibly funny a lot of the time but every now and again you'll go "sheeeeeesh" and tug on your shirt collar

• Options
    I've just found Taskmaster New Zealand on YouTube

So I guess I know what my day is going to consist of

• Options

he's very scumbag left

incredibly funny a lot of the time but every now and again you'll go "sheeeeeesh" and tug on your shirt collar

This was me with Bill Burr's SNL monologue

It was nice to see him back in good form

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gervais doesn't really do panel shows, I think because he isn't really suited to them but also he doesn't need them in the same way that most comics do. He doesn't need the exposure or the regular income and is too busy doing other stuff. This isn't to defend him being a transphobic shithead and a dickhead, just that he's kind of removed from the usual career path of comedians these days because The Office popped him out of that entirely.

Panel shows are cheap to make compared to sitcoms and sketch shows, easier to make, less demanding of your time and energy, play to a stand-up's strengths and are often very funny. I love lots of them. But also I miss having more sketch shows on TV, because that's where a lot of creativity and ideas got tossed around in ways that don't happen on panel shows.

I remember an interview with Sean Lock about his (brilliant) sitcom and why he doesn't do more stuff like that. His answer was basically well he slogged his guts out making it, barely anyone saw it and it didn't pay very well, so when a regular panel show gig opened up he grabbed it. As he told Harry Hill it was the easiest money he ever made.

• Options
    In April 2010, the BBC Trust's Editorial Standards Committee apologised for a joke made by Boyle on Radio 4 panel show Political Animal in which he likened the situation in Palestine to "a cake being punched to pieces by a very angry Jew". Boyle also made another joke where he said that he had "been studying Israeli Army martial arts. I now know 16 ways to kick a Palestinian woman in the back". In response, Boyle published a letter in which he criticised the Trust's "cowardly rebuke of my jokes about Palestine" and reprinted the jokes in question. He then criticised the BBC for not broadcasting a humanitarian appeal during the 2008–2009 Gaza War, saying that it was "tragic for such a great institution but it is now cravenly afraid of giving offence and vulnerable to any kind of well drilled lobbying."

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The first one is bad but the second one is just accurate.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i feel like Anthony Jeselnik is like the only one who does that sort of edgelord shock comic humor right

you hear his jokes and you think he's the asshole but then you realize he told them in such a way that actually you're the asshole

just fuckin genius

now you're all going to tell me he's canceled for something i wasn't aware of, making me the asshole

legend

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I saw another article today blaming millennials for the suburban housing marking stagnation and I had the thought,

“Dude, we’re like 40 now. Stop blaming us for things. We are the mainstream. We can’t afford houses and if we could we still wouldn’t move to the suburbs. Fuck all the way off.”

Millennials are killing the suburbs!

Good.

Meh, I'm pretty ok with "Fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall."

Mostly because fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall.

I hear a lot of people say this and I’ve yet to make it make sense to me

• Options
    Jeselnik rules

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I saw another article today blaming millennials for the suburban housing marking stagnation and I had the thought,

“Dude, we’re like 40 now. Stop blaming us for things. We are the mainstream. We can’t afford houses and if we could we still wouldn’t move to the suburbs. Fuck all the way off.”

Millennials are killing the suburbs!

Good.

Meh, I'm pretty ok with "Fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall."

Mostly because fuck living in an urban center with neighbors on every wall.

I hear a lot of people say this and I’ve yet to make it make sense to me

other people's cigarette and weed smoke was what i always hated about living in apartments and condos. the noise never bothered me too much

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i feel like Anthony Jeselnik is like the only one who does that sort of edgelord shock comic humor right

you hear his jokes and you think he's the asshole but then you realize he told them in such a way that actually you're the asshole

just fuckin genius

now you're all going to tell me he's canceled for something i wasn't aware of, making me the asshole

legend

Nah, he's one of my favorites and I think has the right attitude about it, and also I think you nailed exactly what makes his schtick 'okay'.

His routines don't have that "telling it like it is" cadence that makes the audience go "hey this guy might be onto something". The terrible shit he says isn't justifiable, and it's blatantly not justifiable. Sure there's always the shithead who thinks Rorschach is the role model or whatever, and they might be like "haha okay but he has a point about women" and it's like well okay but that character also just got done telling a story about how he's a serial killer so like...

Plus I'll always love him for shitting all over the whole "I won't play colleges anymore because they're too PC" bullshit.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Comedians don't generally bag on each other too much unless they're from a previous generation whose style and/or politics have gone sour. There are a few exceptions but they're mostly for comics who either set themselves apart or who have massive success while being dickheads.

Stewart Lee gets a bit of stick from other comics and I think it's partly because he's so excoriating about what he sees as bland stand-up acts, but also because he doesn't really do any of the other things most other comics do (like panel shows).

• Options
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/interview-anthony-jeselnik-on-thoughts-and-prayers/
    Paste: With that, how do you feel about all these conversations going on with people debating political correctness in comedy and with people like Jerry Seinfeld saying they won’t perform at colleges because of the politically correct atmosphere there? Are you seeing that as well?

Jeselnik: I see it and I welcome the challenge. Anyone who complains about PC culture is lazy and I think that it’s my goal to kind of get through that obstacle course. I like doing colleges because it’s a challenge. How can I get these kids, who are so PC, to laugh at these things? I want it to be like that. I don’t want a bunch of gross old men in the back smoking cigars saying they need more racist stuff. That sucks. So I think anyone who’s complaining about PC doesn’t want to work that hard on the jokes.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    @Tav Also check out this tech pouch I got this weekend that makes me unreasonably excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeBz5BfCCM8

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Comedians don't generally bag on each other too much unless they're from a previous generation whose style and/or politics have gone sour. There are a few exceptions but they're mostly for comics who either set themselves apart or who have massive success while being dickheads.

Stewart Lee gets a bit of stick from other comics and I think it's partly because he's so excoriating about what he sees as bland stand-up acts, but also because he doesn't really do any of the other things most other comics do (like panel shows).

There's that one British comedian whose name I can't remember who has a ton of notoriously bland Netflix specials or whatever, and I think he gets a fair amount of shit.

You know, that guy who does those specials.

The British one.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    True comedy is agreeing on social ills and engaging each other to fight them in our everyday lives.

• Options
    Wait where are you going I have these pamphlets I made!!!!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There’s a difference between apartment and apartment. Our current one you can’t hear neighbors drumming a full slipknot set. The soundproofing is so good. But my first apartment I could hear exactly what my neighbors were saying in every room of their apartment. It was extremely detrimental to my mental health being at the mercy of a stranger for when I get to sleep or not every day.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    *thinks back to an episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee where Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Burr literally smoke cigars and talk about how people are too PC*

damn Anthony, chill!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    it seems like every time i see someone complain about jeselnik, they're complaining about him being specific

it's never "oh you joked about people dying", it's "oh you joked about this person dying" which makes me lose sympathy when they were fine about every other awful thing he's said

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mornin...

are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.