As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COVID-19] -20, -21, -22, -23...

monikermoniker Registered User regular
edited January 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Bogart wrote:
As the title states, this thread is for discussion surrounding Covid and how it has affected us, our communities, others, and the world, while the updates thread is for information/updates about the virus itself.

Cite your sources and don't post bad or wrong or dishonestly-framed information; mod patience for this kind of thing is especially thin right now.

We've all had a terrible time of the past year, so try not to be jerks to each other.

Tl;dr: Be kind, be truthful and cite things, and if you're going to post in the updates thread with something that is not an update, post it here instead.

My message to all: Get Vaxxed, Get Boosted

Another hundred pages

moniker on

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Over at the company I'm working for, they've declared covid over, come back to the office, masks not required as long as you're vaxed.

It doesn't thrill me but here we are.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    One perk of working at hospital system is that masking isn't going away, and most departments follow the masking guidelines pretty well

Mine doesn't, and my partners doesn't, that's how we got Covid Omicron edition, which seems to have permanently damaged my lungs and probably did something to my sinuses too, and made me anemic

But at least the odds are theoretically in our favor

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Most employees in places I've been to recently have remained masked up. Most customers have as well. It'll be interesting to see how quickly that fades away.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    We have 0 current active cases on the rez. That is a little positive thing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Frankly I think I'm just going to be masking in public pretty much at all times, but will be socially active unless we are in a peak.

I think this will just be how life is for the foreseeable future.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Frankly I think I'm just going to be masking in public pretty much at all times, but will be socially active unless we are in a peak.

Basically the same. Although if case numbers drop low enough I think I'll be comfortable unmasking in a fairly larger number of places.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Basically the same. Although if case numbers drop low enough I think I'll be comfortable unmasking in a fairly larger number of places.

I think, for me, it'll ultimately depend on how often I'm around that person and how much I trust them. If I go to a grocery store? Mask up. I don't trust anyone I'm around there. But if I'm going to a friend's house who I know is vaccinated and has been treating it seriously then no more masks.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I think, for me, it'll ultimately depend on how often I'm around that person and how much I trust them. If I go to a grocery store? Mask up. I don't trust anyone I'm around there. But if I'm going to a friend's house who I know is vaccinated and has been treating it seriously then no more masks.

Doesn't really work, trustworthy people catch it almost as much as people who take no precautions. That's why it sucks :(

• Options

Doesn't really work, trustworthy people catch it almost as much as people who take no precautions. That's why it sucks :(

Sure but I have a few friends that still haven't even caught it. I find them to be trustworthy enough to hang around with haha.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Masks are the new gender-universal bra, to be removed under similar circumstances.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Masks are the new gender-universal bra, to be removed under similar circumstances.

I fucking love this lol

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I fucking love this lol

Test Case: A politician yells at high school kids to remove them.

Yup, holds up.

• Options

True, but if case counts are down to double digits for the whole of the county I'm pretty confident they don't have it.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Meanwhile here we are still above the Delta peak. Oh and the Department of Health confirmed the numbers the CDC used to recommend ending mask requirements were wrong.

Cases are dropping steadily but it's another declaring victory way too early thing

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah we just dropped below our delta peak last week

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We're under the Delta low between it and Omicron, still about 4x higher than the lowest of the summer lows.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    A lot of places have ended free testing though, so these numbers are probably lower than they actually are, right?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    A lot of places have ended free testing though, so these numbers are probably lower than they actually are, right?

Positivity rate is also dropping most areas as is wastewater.

• Options

You could still use hospitalizations as a proxy, and those are down to where they were last April, too. I figure there's going to be a slight bump this month since everywhere is ending countermeasures, and then also with Easter, but if trends continue overall downward we should be in a really good spot in May.

But predictions are hard. Especially about the future.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Positivity rate is also dropping most areas as is wastewater.

That's nice to know. Also god bless to the people who have to collect and test sewage to figure this stuff out.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I had to go into the DMV today. Everyone who was there for tests and such was masked up. It was only a few employees who were unmasked. I'd have thought it would be been the opposite. Interesting.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

So like in Oregon over the last 30 days we're down 15% on testing, but down 63% on positive cases, and our testing is still far higher than it was during the summer lows over the last couple years.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah all of Ohio had 918 positive cases.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You could still use hospitalizations as a proxy, and those are down to where they were last April, too. I figure there's going to be a slight bump this month since everywhere is ending countermeasures, and then also with Easter, but if trends continue overall downward we should be in a really good spot in May.

We had ~500 child deaths a day at the beginning of September last year and ~1000 child deaths a day at the beginning of February this year.

Twice the casualty rate is more than "a slight bump," but then again we should have expected larger numbers for child deaths when remote learning, social distancing, and mandatory masking in schools are all discontinued.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

We had ~500 child deaths a day at the beginning of September last year and ~1000 child deaths a day at the beginning of February this year.

Twice the casualty rate is more than "a slight bump," but then again we should have expected larger numbers for child deaths when remote learning, social distancing, and mandatory masking in schools are all discontinued.

No we did not. The total number of under 18 dead is under 1000.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Edit: worldwide is around 12800.

https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No we did not. The total number of under 18 dead is under 1000.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Edit: worldwide is around 12800.

https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/

You're right, sorry, he number of children under 18 reached ~1000 in total at the beginning of February this year, a doubling of the total from September 2021.

The daily deaths in total in the United States are at ~1000 a day, got my data points crossed.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    My local park district rec plex (pool, basketball courts, etc) put all the chairs and tables back in the common area where before they were stored away.

So I know it's just echoing what everyone else is saying, but just so weird to be completely be at odds with the public mentality.

I mean, I'm going to guess most of here on PA always have been, but it's just very visible now.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yesterday we had 23k daily cases

today it dropped to 18k.

But we're largely relying on self reporting right now on RAT tests because the PCR centers just fucking can't even.

So

I am distrustful of that number.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ontario has stated they’re basically ending restrictions at the end of March. And fully expect that the 2k per day or so cases we’re seeing are likely off by an order of magnitude.

However, our hospitalizations and ICU space have been dropping for weeks, it *seems* like the current situation is getting to a better place.

Whether that holds up or not remains to be seen. I’m optimistic, but I’ll probably give it another month or two to be sure. Work is going back to the office, but the department head has said he has no expectation for us to be in like nothing has happened anytime soon. Come in if we feel safe doing so, once or twice per week if that works for us, etc. a very reasonable and gradual time line with no set pressure and a wholly realistic view that shit could go sideways on us on short notice. Again.

But there are other departments that are already full time back in the office, so…

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Seems like me and my parents caught covid after dodging it for 2 years. Least we are all vaccinated and boostered but I do worry a bit about my father since he is already in a bad shape without covid on top of it.

I am a little annoyed about catching it but I guess it is very hard to avoid after all.

• Options
    Isorn wrote: »
    Seems like me and my parents caught covid after dodging it for 2 years. Least we are all vaccinated and boostered but I do worry a bit about my father since he is already in a bad shape without covid on top of it.

I am a little annoyed about catching it but I guess it is very hard to avoid after all.

Hope you guys feel better soon!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Moniker I am suing you for copyright infringing Bogart's copyright infringement version of me infringing ceres' copyright of the op.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Moniker I am suing you for copyright infringing Bogart's copyright infringement version of me infringing ceres' copyright of the op.

Please serve me through my library appointed attorney: Dewey, Cheetham, & Howe

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    So, my partner and I have been some of the really dedicated people throughout this pandemic. We have basically avoided any situation in which we will be forced into close contact with people for more than a couple of minutes at a time, which has meant restaurants, no movies, no socializing, really, none of that stuff.

Given various changes lately, including the recent trends, the existence (and general availability?) of an antiviral pill, boosters, and the general sense of the complete dissolution of a general effort to mitigate the spread of the virus, we are disinclined to sacrifice so much to do our part of a collective action problem that has no collective action. So, we are looking to possibly change our risk assesment.

Our biggest thing has always been fears of long covid. My partner already has one, likely two autoimmune disorders that have prevented her from working or living a normal kind of life for the past ten years. We feel like if she were to get long covid, it would be a terrible outcome for us, and more likely than for most. So, in figuring out how we will handle our behavior, we are going to be focused on risk of long covid.

I'm hoping some of you might have seen research or resources that help us assess the risk. Specifically, has anyone seen any research on prevalence of long covid in people with vax + boost? Also, prevalence of long covid in people who already have autoimmune disorders? Finally, any research about how antiviral pills might effect the autoimmune outcomes? I assume there isn't anything about the antivirals with long covid specifically, but if there are any related cases, (such as antiviral and limes, or antiviral and the epstein barr family of autoimmune disorders). I would appreciate anything along these lines that folks can point to. Thanks!

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    I don't think your going to find great data because the definition of Long Covid is useless. It's symptoms for longer than 4 weeks and 54% of people experience it: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/long-covid-risk-factors-and-how-to-mitigate-them

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    B.2 is not raising the incidence in Germany again.
    So much for the Omicron wave being the last wave until autumn.

This town in particular doubled the 7 day incidence since Thursday.
    So totally unexpected. Who'd though that having 10s of thousands of unmasked drunk people partying for carnival would result in this.

honovere on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    As it was asked about previously in the thread: Your Local Epidemiologist is doing a series on Long Covid this week.

Please read and consider as your interest dictates.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    As it was asked about previously in the thread: Your Local Epidemiologist is doing a series on Long Covid this week.

Please read and consider as your interest dictates.

I appreciate that this series is making it clear that Long Covid likely does not have a single cause. As it says, a combination of autoimmune response, persistent virus, organ damage, and micro clots are the four primary causes identified so far, and they can appear individually or in some combination. Treatment for long Covid is going to vary with how and why the person has the disease. As well, I appreciate that it’s making clear that we have no clear definition - I recall there was one recent study that had instances of long Covid among vaccinated people being similar to rates observed among people who had never caught Covid, since Long Covid for the purposes of that study was identified by having a certain set of symptoms.

I’m curious if this series will talk about risk factors or factors that seem to mitigate risk.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Please serve me through my library appointed attorney: Dewey, Cheetham, & Howe

<le sigh> I miss Tom & Ray & Car Talk.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I appreciate the contributions, esp. the roundup from YLE (whom I had never heard of). One thing that has changed for me, is I thought that antivirals had become more or less generally available, as the the cases have come down, but that doesn't actually seem to be true, right? It seems like, if I look at the info provided by GoodRX, there are only a few places in any given metro that carry them, and their use is still highly impacted. So if I am considering what I can do if I get Covid, it still probably isn't likely to be possible to get antiviral treatment, right?

I know Biden says this will change, but we also know that things that are said in SoTU are mostly pie in the sky bullshit, and timelines on that may be many months, not like weeks.

https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/covid-pill-cost-availability

Has anyone had any direct experience with antiviral treatment, specifically Paxlovid?