As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mysteries are Solved in this [Chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    shiver me timbers!

Are you experiencing some kind of heroin withdrawal today, man?

i hope you get trapped in a fire and suffer third-degree burns all over your body

You're reading my self-hate book aren't you? 1001 Different Ways To Curse The Universe.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Hm. On a related note I actually just realized that I care enough about her that I would feel bad subjecting her to my terrible habits, tendencies, and lifestyle. Weird that's a new one for me I think. So yes, silence will be golden. We will meet as usual and spend our awkward time together wondering "what if. . ."

and then i'll get back to the booze and one night stands.

That's even more selfish than leading her on!

Yes I know but it's the sweet selfish status quo which makes things incredibly easy for me except for these occasional bouts of guilt.

If she was that type of girl I could just make this into a nice physical thing and that'd be the end of it but oh no some folks have emotions and desires and standards and principles.

Is it that hard to say: "Look, im sorry i was an ass before, i shouldn't of ___. Your a good girl and i enjoy hanging out with you. That said, i don't have any aspirations for a relationship with you but i hope we can stay friends."

That wouldn't screw things up would it?

Would it?

Do you reckon

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

i hope you get trapped in a fire and suffer third-degree burns all over your body

I think Loren is... broken... somehow.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

You're reading my self-hate book aren't you? 1001 Different Ways To Curse The Universe.
    Is "birth an Oboro" one of them? :3

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    You have received an infraction at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason: Minor Offense
    Conversing in a hideous, guttural tongue

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

Original Post:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7953394
    Hehe, that message makes the points worth it :P

What'd you say?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

AKA Small Gods

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm just bored. Stupid cough won't let me sleep, construction going on next door will wake me up in the morning. I'd have lots of frustration and shit and I'd probably be taking it out on random people if I were less chill.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is it that hard to say: "Look, im sorry i was an ass before, i shouldn't of ___. Your a good girl and i enjoy hanging out with you. That said, i don't have any aspirations for a relationship with you but i hope we can stay friends."

Would it?

Do you reckon
    In my experience, these statements have screwed things up if made in an otherwise carefree relationship. There's a risk that it provokes a level of thought and awkwardness that isn't there right now; for all we know, the girl in question hasn't had more than a passing thought about her past with DUE in the past few years. If DUE brought it up, then, it can create the impression that he's a dweller, or insecure about something else, or ... well, the point is, it can make people ask questions.

Sometimes it's better to just keep things carefree.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm just bored. Stupid cough won't let me sleep, construction going on next door will wake me up in the morning. I'd have lots of frustration and shit and I'd probably be taking it out on random people if I were less chill.

Benadryl.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    shiver me timbers!

Is "birth an Oboro" one of them? :3

That assumes a lot of power in your hands.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

Original Post:

What'd you say?
    "Quiet, you're a fool" in a non-offensive manner. Kinda like calling someone a feckin' gobshite or something to that effect.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Assuming things are carefree now. Which on DUE's side they are clearly not. It's up to DUE to decide whether he feels they are or are not on her side.

If they're friends, I just doubt this would completely screw it up. I get your point, Oboro, of injecting doubt and uncertainty into their currently amiable relationship, but the alternative might just be worse. Not that either choice is actually all that bad at all. But even though neither are all that bad, there's still going to be a worse one.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Original Post:

What'd you say?
    "Quiet, you're a fool" in a non-offensive manner. Kinda like calling someone a feckin' gobshite or something to that effect.

Seems a bit harsh to actually give you points for it. An infraction for it is funny, yes. But a legitimate two points for responding in a language someone asked for? People speak Dutch in here all the time, I've seen. German, too, I think.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Would it?

Do you reckon
    In my experience, these statements have screwed things up if made in an otherwise carefree relationship. There's a risk that it provokes a level of thought and awkwardness that isn't there right now; for all we know, the girl in question hasn't had more than a passing thought about her past with DUE in the past few years. If DUE brought it up, then, it can create the impression that he's a dweller, or insecure about something else, or ... well, the point is, it can make people ask questions.

It's not a carefree situation exactly. It's awkward and difficult to explain. Um like I was sleeping with her friend and she brought up the whole "why didn't you ever date X, she's liked you forever" and it's just like. . .what the fuck I don't know.

total drama island.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Seems a bit harsh to actually give you points for it. An infraction for it is funny, yes. But a legitimate two points for responding in a language someone asked for? People speak Dutch in here all the time, I've seen. German, too, I think.

Yeah but no one likes Tav so its ok. Plus its Tube so he can reverse it himself.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey some guy from Wimbeldon in that thread, there's totally a chance that I've met him at some point.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah but no one likes Tav so its ok. Plus its Tube so he can reverse it himself.
    I like Tav.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would say the mature thing to do would be to come out of the comfort of laziness and "ignore-feelings-so we-can-keep-the-status-quo-ness.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I like Tav.

You're just a young'in though. One day you'll learn.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and I kindasorta broke up with my best Chinese friend, but I'm surprisingly blase... blasee? Blazay? What? Whatever. Surprisingly feh about it. I was starting to feel awkward with her when we walked around in public, so I don't mind so much. But I am currently without a Best Friend on this side of the world.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Look, all I'm saying is that when I said this to Amanda, it killed the friendship for three months straight. We worked through it -- by simply dismissing that kind of shit, and realizing we didn't care about having a relationship with that kind of srsbsns depth to it -- but it still meant we both lost our best friend for a while.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Would it?

Do you reckon

It's not a carefree situation exactly. It's awkward and difficult to explain. Um like I was sleeping with her friend and she brought up the whole "why didn't you ever date X, she's liked you forever" and it's just like. . .what the fuck I don't know.

total drama island.

Yeah i definately wouldn't sugest this in a non-awkward relationship.

However, from what i've heard, their relationship seems as awkward as it can get.
    Saying something like this would just get their feelings out in the open rather than being constantly guessed at.

I kind of feels like an all or nothing call. Saying it could either help things along or totally fuck it up. I don't see there being any middle ground.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think i'll just keep things awkward and let the tension of unsaid words rest in the air between us.

That's much less convoluted.

And lazy/immature/silly/stupid.

Yes. This is what i've been doing with her since high school. So yeah i'm a dick but.

Well no i'm just a dick.

No, no, no... I would say you're human. This isn't exactly the kind of thing you go to hell for.

Missing the Atlanta meet-up is the kind of thing you go to hell for.

I really need to find someone coming from this area.

I do not go to meetups. I find it safer to meet forumers one on one, so that it's harder for them to ambush me.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and I kindasorta broke up with my best Chinese friend, but I'm surprisingly blase... blasee? Blazay? What? Whatever. Surprisingly feh about it. I was starting to feel awkward with her when we walked around in public, so I don't mind so much. But I am currently without a Best Friend on this side of the world.

Well, 'best' is sort of a comparative term, so as long as you have any friends, one is bound by the nature of the universe to be objectively the "best" friend of 'em all.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Look, all I'm saying is that when I said this to Amanda, it killed the friendship for three months straight. We worked through it -- by simply dismissing that kind of shit, and realizing we didn't care about having a relationship with that kind of srsbsns depth to it -- but it still meant we both lost our best friend for a while.

Not everyone's situation is the same though. And it's not like it's gonna make her question, "Oh no, does he actually like me?!"

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Not everyone's situation is the same though. And it's not like it's gonna make her question, "Oh no, does he actually like me?!"
    tru dis

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, 'best' is sort of a comparative term, so as long as you have any friends, one is bound by the nature of the universe to be objectively the "best" friend of 'em all.

Eh, I think of "best friend" is a more specific noun with two words. I have acquaintances, then I have friends, and then I have a best friend who is in a completely different class of friend, someone I trust infinitely, you know?

I mean, just because you lose your best friend doesn't mean your next-closest friend can necessarily fill that void in any way, shape, or form.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My computer decided its going to crap out.

This computer is better.

Plus it has word.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lady friend showed she is in fact alive. She does this in cryptic ways by sending me a last.fm recommendation of Clovis - Blues for Julia.

Nice song, but I think she means she has the blues. :P

WOMEN!

*edit: sent back: 4 non blondes.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

This computer is better.

Plus it has word.

No sleep for the wicked aye?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think i'll just keep things awkward and let the tension of unsaid words rest in the air between us.

That's much less convoluted.

And lazy/immature/silly/stupid.

Yes. This is what i've been doing with her since high school. So yeah i'm a dick but.

Well no i'm just a dick.

No, no, no... I would say you're human. This isn't exactly the kind of thing you go to hell for.

Missing the Atlanta meet-up is the kind of thing you go to hell for.

I really need to find someone coming from this area.

I do not go to meetups. I find it safer to meet forumers one on one, so that it's harder for them to ambush me.

If you weren't so cuddly and sweet you wouldn't have to worry about that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Lady friend showed she is in fact alive. She does this in cryptic ways by sending me a last.fm recommendation of Clovis - Blues for Julia.

WOMEN!

What happened?

Did she text back? Do you wan't three vaguely related yet totally unhelpful responses from [chat]?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

So where do we sign up for a little one on one time with VC?

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dam, JK, you are lobbying the meetup hard.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Veggie burgers for breakfast? Sure, why not

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Eh, I think of "best friend" is a more specific noun with two words. I have acquaintances, then I have friends, and then I have a best friend who is in a completely different class of friend, someone I trust infinitely, you know?

I mean, just because you lose your best friend doesn't mean your next-closest friend can necessarily fill that void in any way, shape, or form.

Oh, I know that. I was maeking funnee poast.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This computer is better.

Plus it has word.

No sleep for the wicked aye?

Once I get this done I am done for this whole fucking year it is being fucking finished.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

WOMEN!

We lady friend is also acting bluish today. Something in the weather perhaps?

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Dam, JK, you are lobbying the meetup hard.

Well, the alternative is to let it slip from memory, let attendees fall into apathy, and non-attendees refuse to give a second thought to coming to an event which hasn't been brought up in months, or frankly seen any constructive attention for weeks.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

So where do we sign up for a little one on one time with VC?

Probably at the DMV. Make sure you don't cut in line. If they tell you they don't have the form, try the next closest DMV.

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.