Options

I Have A Cunning [Chat]!

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    One thing that still bothers me is why a change in graphics (that's really what the move from 2d to 3d represents) had to cause such a huge shift in gameplay. Doom and Duke3d are actually 3d games in terms of gameplay, but basically 2d in terms of graphics. The game play progression to a 3d game like Quake was not jarring. It was just the same type of game, using polygons instead of sprites. But mario 64 is a COMPLETELY different game from all prior Marios. Its a great game in its own right, but its not really a "mario" game in terms of gameplay to me, in the way that Quake remained an FPS in the vein of Doom and Duke3d.

Also, I really disagree with all the rose colored glasses allegations that get thrown around whenever someone says that old games are better than new games. If the game play changes from generation to generation and you preferred the old game play, it is not rose colored glasses to say that the old games were better. I think SMB3 is a better game than Mario 64. No question at all. I don't think that preferring 2d platforming over 3d platforming means I have rose colored glasses on. It just means that I prefer one type of game to another, and the existence of a "new" type of gameplay does not obsolete the old one.

A lot of people seem to think that older games are better for the exact reasons that I think newer games are better. Ability to save whenever (so I can actually leave and do RL stuff), no ridiculous punishing difficulty for no apparent reason, more obvious or accessible rules or mechanics, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean they have rose-colored glasses on though, but I can see why people think that. (And this may be not quite what you're getting at either with the genres)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    simonwolf‌ Thomamelas‌ RiemannLives‌ Cokebotle‌

So Extra Credits is doing more extra history. It is doing the Sengoku Jidai starting with the Battle of Okehazama.

Mostly Oda Nobunaga showing he is a badass and the first rise of Tokugawa Ieyasu.

http://youtu.be/hDsdkoln59A

Oh looks like they did WWI as well. Elldren‌

http://youtu.be/S-wSL4WqUws

I haven't seen this yet, but for the WWI video, does it focus on the generals of the era being incompetent? Because that phrase being repeated over and over is starting to get me to throat punching levels of annoyance.

So far we are on the set up. Basically the leaders being idiots. The Firing of Bismark by the Kaiser. Russia being well Russian. The decline of the Austrians and Ottomans. Basically the end of the system that kept Europe from fully exploding in the late 1800's.

Now we are on the assassination of the Arch Duke.

Ah, okay.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I really want to get into the HotS beta.

So bad.

per my past beta experiences I will get a beta key a few weeks after they open it to everyone

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I got a flu shot and now my arm hurts
    arm-flu

thank you for your service

I'm terrified of needles but I had the flu two years ago and it was the worst
    I would wade through a lake of needles to not have that happen again

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Our neighbors love our dog so much they decided to get a puppy (3 girls, 1 boy pre-school through like 4th grade) two weeks ago. And now the puppy and my dog are like bff. When we let him out, he runs to their gate and jumps up and looks for the puppy. If she's not there he barks, which is funny and stuff but he eventually gave up. "Come out and play!!"

Until yesterday. Yesterday the puppy could hear him from her crate and started barking back. So he gets excited and runs to their front door waiting for her to come out or be let in. And then back to the gate and then back to the door. Eventually the kids let her out and then let my dog in and they scamper around the backyard.

Pretty soon they're just going to have scheduled play dates

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    arm-flu

well the jersey shore is only a couple hours away by bus

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i still suck at LoL seems like a lotta work to start sucking at a new game

I'm kinda sorta thinking about picking it up again, so if you need someone to group with let me know. I'm not great either, and I'm sure I've lost a lot of skill since the last time I played, which was months and months ago.

yeah i got really burned out on playing with randos after grinding on ranked so what i do now is just log on and do other stuff while checking back every now and then for friends to play with. i haven't queued up for a game by myself in probably 4 months.

im SirLandshark (no space) in game though. definitely add me!

@visiblehowl

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I hope some of you dudes get into heroes of the storm when it goes beta

if you like the aram style of play (faster, more team fights, shorter game length, less focus on laning) I think you'll like this

I have been playing it a lot the past few days

LoserForHireX‌ spool32‌ Robes‌ Roz‌ Organichu‌ cptrugged‌ PotatoNinja‌ Goumindong‌ Moridin889‌

wow

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    arm-flu

PROGRESSIVE ALLIANCE BROKEN CHANUS

how dare youuuuu

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    we tried crate training our little dog

she chewed through the plastic on the first one and got

then we got an all metal one and she undid the clasps and got out

then we put a carribeaner on the clasps and she chewed through the carribeaner, undid the clasps, and got out

so then we said ok you win and eventually she stopped destroying the apartment while we were gone (but not before destroying the carpet in a desperate attempt to dig under the front door and come find us)

haha

our pup did not like the crate either

Oran010.jpg

The first day we had our dog we didn't have a crate yet. He cried when we tried to keep him in a cardboard box (after first escaping before we weighed it down) unless my wife kept her arm in there. And after a while even that was too much so we let him have the run of our bedroom. He finally went to sleep after he found a laundry basket of our dirty clothes.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    arm-flu

our 7 week old daughter got the flu this past weekend and had to go to the ER

so yeah i really appreciate when people that don't really need to get the shot still do so

• Options

if you like the aram style of play (faster, more team fights, shorter game length, less focus on laning) I think you'll like this

LoserForHireX‌ spool32‌ Robes‌ Roz‌ Organichu‌ cptrugged‌ PotatoNinja‌ Goumindong‌ Moridin889‌

wow

i know

dis some hurtful shit skippy

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh hey Amazon are making a Man In The High Castle series. @Jacobkosh‌

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    arm-flu

PROGRESSIVE ALLIANCE BROKEN CHANUS

how dare youuuuu

it's cool my BFF is from keansburg and he says it's cool

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis - What do you think of these posts:
    One thing that still bothers me is why a change in graphics (that's really what the move from 2d to 3d represents) had to cause such a huge shift in gameplay. Doom and Duke3d are actually 3d games in terms of gameplay, but basically 2d in terms of graphics. The game play progression to a 3d game like Quake was not jarring. It was just the same type of game, using polygons instead of sprites. But mario 64 is a COMPLETELY different game from all prior Marios. Its a great game in its own right, but its not really a "mario" game in terms of gameplay to me, in the way that Quake remained an FPS in the vein of Doom and Duke3d.

Also, I really disagree with all the rose colored glasses allegations that get thrown around whenever someone says that old games are better than new games. If the game play changes from generation to generation and you preferred the old game play, it is not rose colored glasses to say that the old games were better. I think SMB3 is a better game than Mario 64. No question at all. I don't think that preferring 2d platforming over 3d platforming means I have rose colored glasses on. It just means that I prefer one type of game to another, and the existence of a "new" type of gameplay does not obsolete the old one.

I think that Mario 64 is a completely different genre of games from the side scrollers. I also think it was a master class in how to use what they had available to them at the time graphically. The simple, punchy pallet and simple characters and sparse enemies looks great. I still prefer playing the side scrollers, though, and I feel like the recent ones on the DS and Wii U are fantastic and superior games to the NES versions, even if the NES versions mean more to me.

"Rose colored glasses" are when your fondness for the place and time in which you experienced the game supersedes the relative quality of the game.

I fucking love Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. Great story, way ahead of its time.... but an FMV game with some less than stellar acting and some busted-assed backgrounds. The film was also shot with scanlines and then compressed with the best technology 1996 or so had on offer. The end result is not visually pleasing, but to me its beautiful all the same and I look past the warts for the good stuff.

I cannot in good conscience say that Baldur's Gate 2 looks better than Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 in any aspect whatsoever. Like, full stop, those games are beautiful in every way. BG2 had a style that was cohesive for the time and the backdrops still hold up, but looking at two screeenshots of typical in-game locales, the only reason anyone would every think that BG2 looks better is because they enjoyed that game more back when it was new and amazing.

I mostly agree with this post. But I would say that you can legitimately say that the BG2 backgrounds are better looking than DA2 because there is a greater attention to individual details and lightning/shadow. Every leaf in DA2 looks the same. In BG2 they don't. That doesn't make it better. I just don't think its so clear cut.

This is just graphical, of course. In terms of game play, there is an argument that BG2 is as different from DA as SMB3 is from Mario64.

• Options
    also @skippydumptruck‌ take a break don't burn yourself out before everyone else gets the game :P

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    arm-flu

our 7 week old daughter got the flu this past weekend and had to go to the ER

so yeah i really appreciate when people that don't really need to get the shot still do so

r u a shill of big pharma

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    My mom made me get a flu shot while I was visiting home for Halloween. She (correctly) assumed that I wouldn't get one on my own.

I'm also terrified of needles, but as always the actual shot was nowhere near as awful as I was expecting.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Our neighbors love our dog so much they decided to get a puppy (3 girls, 1 boy pre-school through like 4th grade) two weeks ago. And now the puppy and my dog are like bff. When we let him out, he runs to their gate and jumps up and looks for the puppy. If she's not there he barks, which is funny and stuff but he eventually gave up. "Come out and play!!"

Until yesterday. Yesterday the puppy could hear him from her crate and started barking back. So he gets excited and runs to their front door waiting for her to come out or be let in. And then back to the gate and then back to the door. Eventually the kids let her out and then let my dog in and they scamper around the backyard.

Pretty soon they're just going to have scheduled play dates

The dogs already do a good enough job arranging their own meetings, no?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i think i am close to beating evil within

it has tried my patience sorely at times

i tried to buy sunset overdrive yesterday on the xbone store but it is "unavailable" unless you buy the $79.99 deluxe edition

stupid microsoft

tried your patience?

oh my

i'm basically just an older winky in your mind aren't i

never finishing a dang old thing, needing a bunch of adderall (never had it) to function

the key difference is that when winky abandons something you can feel the waves of raw self-hate radiating off of him

somewhat related

I was browsing through the xbox one UI (still not a huge fan but whatevs) and I noticed this absolutely massive Gamerscore. wtf? This onthelastcastle guy has over 100k Gamerscore? Is he just mad 100%ing every game he gets like some sort of video game savant?

Pop open his profile and it's just half completed game upon half completed game. It was endless...

there's a lot of games to play in the world! i rarely grind out achievements especially anymore... at first it started as a joke to beat all my friends gamerscores but then... it just kept going

oddly enough the only people at all close to me are @emnmnme‌ at 95k and my roommate who just eclipsed me

@OnTheLastCastle‌

Bogart's got quite a score, too.

I kind of wish you could opt out of gamer scores. It's cool that people like them and enjoy achievements, but to me, I just don't want the pop ups on the screen when I accidentally get one.

@spacekungfuman‌ you can turn that off in notifications

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Achievement unlocked - explained how to turn off achievements.

• Options
    SIG and other She Hulk fans, ComicBookGirl19 spends an inordinate amount of time cursing about She Hulk's cancellation in her latest youtube video. I especially liked her response to criticism of Pulido's art.

FUCK YOU.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    scissor sisters gonna give me strength

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    SIG and other She Hulk fans, ComicBookGirl19 spends an inordinate amount of time cursing about She Hulk's cancellation in her latest youtube video. I especially liked her response to criticism of Pulido's art.

FUCK YOU.

yep that seems about right

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    The second reading, however I was quite confused for various reasons, main reason being that it doesn't seem like it was written any time this century.

(The reading is Lucretius, On The Nature of Things, ca. 1st century BC)

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

misread this as a man in the thigh castle

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    flu vaccination

more like free autism

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

@LoserForHireX‌ @spool32‌ @Robes‌ @Roz‌ @Organichu‌ @cptrugged‌ @PotatoNinja‌ @Goumindong‌ @Moridin889‌

Is this revenge for all the times I have declined your invites?

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    My mom made me get a flu shot while I was visiting home for Halloween. She (correctly) assumed that I wouldn't get one on my own.

I'm also terrified of needles, but as always the actual shot was nowhere near as awful as I was expecting.

I thought it hurt but was over much more quickly than I expected (I also tend to freak out in medical contexts, and am a real wuss about pain)

• Options
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    flu vaccination

more like free autism

no such thing as a free autism

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    simonwolf‌ Thomamelas‌ RiemannLives‌ Cokebotle‌

So Extra Credits is doing more extra history. It is doing the Sengoku Jidai starting with the Battle of Okehazama.

Mostly Oda Nobunaga showing he is a badass and the first rise of Tokugawa Ieyasu.

http://youtu.be/hDsdkoln59A

Oh looks like they did WWI as well. Elldren‌

http://youtu.be/S-wSL4WqUws

I haven't seen this yet, but for the WWI video, does it focus on the generals of the era being incompetent? Because that phrase being repeated over and over is starting to get me to throat punching levels of annoyance.

So far we are on the set up. Basically the leaders being idiots. The Firing of Bismark by the Kaiser. Russia being well Russian. The decline of the Austrians and Ottomans. Basically the end of the system that kept Europe from fully exploding in the late 1800's.

Now we are on the assassination of the Arch Duke.

It's pretty good.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

misread this as a man in the thigh castle

That could be a great and sexy show about a guy/gal constantly getting glimpses of sexy thighs or horrifying beyond words and about a castle made of thighs.

• Options
    flu vaccination

more like free autism

no you still have to pay

• Options
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    flu vaccination

more like free autism

no you still have to pay

Mine was free

#Socialism

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i laugh whenever i get a shot

i've been told it's a form of nervousness but i dunno

like, i genuinely laugh like i'm watching a comedy special

the entire time i will laugh so hard i cry

what is wrong with me [chat]

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    flu vaccination

more like free autism

no you still have to pay

lots of insurance will reimburse it

also universities give it out free

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot @Rear Admiral Choco Wriggly now inherits the title of best [chat] kitty. See that he carries the title with the dignity, respect and adorableness it deserves.

oh geez dude i just saw the post explaining why this is

i'm so sorry

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    i laugh whenever i get a shot

i've been told it's a form of nervousness but i dunno

like, i genuinely laugh like i'm watching a comedy special

the entire time i will laugh so hard i cry

what is wrong with me [chat]

Oh my god they're turning you into the Joker

Psn:wazukki