Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Switching to [STEAM] could save you 15% or more!

DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
edited March 1 in Singularity Engine++
So based on you yahoos' recommendation I'm getting Stardew Valley.

Now the thing is, I'm still running a nVidia GTS 250 in my computer which is sufficient for nostalgic people like myself who play old games like Mirror's Edge or Dungeon Siege occasionally. But the thing is I felt it was high time I upgraded to at least a 1050 Ti so I can finally play something more recent than The Witcher. (I was never able to get Witcher II to work on my card, the mouse cursor was slow as ichor.) Now, let's see what the system requirements for Stardew Valley is?
OS: Windows Vista or greater
Processor: 2 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 mb video memory, shader model 3.0+
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 500 MB available space
Wow.

Okay, so my GTS250 with 1GB graphics memory is still relevant! This is good news! Thanks to Steam I don't have to upgrade yet, and this means hundreds of dollars of savings! Thanks Gabe!

DisruptedCapitalist on
chrishallett83
«134567101

Posts

  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    edited March 1
    I doubt you'll regret it! It's a real gem of a game, and the guy who made it seems like one of the most genuinely decent people on the internet.

    Jedoc on
    cannon.jpg
    Enc
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    I had a GTS250 with 1GB of VRAM back in my old socket 775 quad-core Windows XP computer. It ran Fallout 3 at 1280x1024 on my old 19 inch 4:3 monitor pretty well for the most part.

    I hope you have a fantastic experience with Stardew Valley, but for your future p.c. gaming life I hope you are saving up for a replacement card soon.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    I had a GTS250 with 1GB of VRAM back in my old socket 775 quad-core Windows XP computer. It ran Fallout 3 at 1280x1024 on my old 19 inch 4:3 monitor pretty well for the most part.

    I hope you have a fantastic experience with Stardew Valley, but for your future p.c. gaming life I hope you are saving up for a replacement card soon.

    Yeah, it's funny how game optimization can have a real effect on graphics quality. I recently played Tomb Raider (the remake) and it ran just fine on medium settings which is a testament to the game's optimization. The Witcher 2 on the other hand won't run at all even on the lowest settings without a lot of cursor lag. I'll probably upgrade come the summer so I can at least finally get around to playing the Witcher 2.

    DisruptedCapitalist on
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    edited March 1
    Okay, so I've got a 4-disc set of Planescape: Torment on my shelf that I want to play again. Would it be worth paying $10 for the GoG version? Like, have they done any patching to make it run more easily on Windows 10, or should I just slog through the shit of trying to make it run off of my existing discs?

    Jedoc on
    cannon.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    GOG patches all their games to work on modern OSes, yes

    w0C0ezT.png?1
    Steam | 3DS: 1177 7520 9456
    JedocBucketman
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Okay, so I've got a 4-disc set of Planescape: Torment on my shelf that I want to play again. Would it be worth paying $10 for the GoG version? Like, have they done any patching to make it run more easily on Windows 10, or should I just slog through the shit of trying to make it run off of my existing discs?

    The four disk version is a pain in the ass, buy it on gog

    captainkJedocDisruptedCapitalistBroloA Dabble Of TheloniusDedpuppyBucketmanLorahaloDoctorArchdarunia106
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Okay, so I've got a 4-disc set of Planescape: Torment on my shelf that I want to play again. Would it be worth paying $10 for the GoG version? Like, have they done any patching to make it run more easily on Windows 10, or should I just slog through the shit of trying to make it run off of my existing discs?

    The four disk version is a pain in the ass, buy it on gog

    I just did this myself two weeks ago. Worth the $10 to have a Win10 ready digital copy without fucking with installing 4 discs and finding the latest patch .exe.

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Jedoc
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    Great to know! I was hoping that was the case. I guess I'll just keep the jewel case around for the next time I need to impress a girl, then.

    cannon.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Chicks dig scars

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    That System Shock remake is looking shiny

    w0C0ezT.png?1
    Steam | 3DS: 1177 7520 9456
    Sorceel_vicio
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    That System Shock remake is looking shiny


    That is some deeply effective sound work. It's like seeing one of your childhood nightmares show up in an IMAX preview.

    cannon.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Yeah I'ma have to get that System Shock, I think.

    3ds friend code: 2036 9837 9754
    DisruptedCapitalist
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Division now has a permanent free trial: https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/free-trial/
    You can play up to level 8 or 6 hours, whichever comes first, then it cuts you off. Your progress carries over to the full game if you buy it.

    rSjqbNT.jpg?1
    cB557Iolo
  • DubhDubh "< Registered User regular
    thinking about getting Torment

    and doing something very unlike me and just making some bruiser of a character
    see how the game that seems very much about offering alternate solutions takes it

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Good golly am I in love with Torment: Tides of Numenera

    I haven't even completed the first big step of the plot, because the side content is absolutely incredible. In one example, I talked to a stranger at a bar. She told me about her friends, brave adventurers all, and she told me how much she loved them. And for each member of her little group, she told me why she loved them. A little moment in time for each, a little synecdoche for their greater virtue. But this stranger at the bar, she was psychic, and she knew how her beloved friends would die. And she agonized over whether her love was pure, or if it was colored by knowing what they would give up for her. It was this heady, poignant, fantastical tragedy, and it was beautiful, and it was in this random tavern conversation.

    Or how about when I chatted with this "minor" NPC who I found out was a traveler from another world. One where his people reproduce by sacrificing a limb. And this little short story deals with trauma, and family, and loss, and also the accidental creation of interdimensional porn. And the story gets away with all of it. The humor doesn't betray the pathos, nor vice versa. It was an incredible balancing act, and they pulled it off, and it was in this tiny little side character that the game never makes you talk to.

    And the side content keeps interlocking in fascinating, unexpected ways. A character you talked to yesterday ends up having a piece of the puzzle for the character you talk to tomorrow. You'll be wrapped up in one little tale and find this sudden, perfect tie to a story you thought was completed. It's fucking fantastic.

    I feel like I've barely scratched the surface on the game, but it's making me want to get all hyperbolic. I am completely in love with how its written. It has the mystery and wonder of something like Fallen London/Sunless Sea, but with this jigsaw puzzle interconnectivity that is blowing me away as it reveals itself. It's so smart, and so emotional, and so deep.

    If you have any fondness at all for wordy, complex RPGs, you need to give this a shot. I still can't tell you how the combat is, because the game (admirably) continues to let me avoid it, but this is a deeply special experience. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

    KwoaruAtomicTofuJedocMidniteLalaboxA Dabble Of TheloniusIoloBrocksMulletFishmanMorivethSnicketysnickBucketmanKamiroLorahalocooljammer00ZonugalKetarDoctorArch
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    STOP IT. I DO NOT HAVE THIS GAME IN MY BUDGET THIS MONTH, YOU MONSTER.

    cannon.jpg
    MidniteMaddocDisruptedCapitalistA Dabble Of TheloniusDedpuppyBucketmancooljammer00Stilts
  • MidniteMidnite You're powered up, get in there!Registered User regular
    Fuck it, I'm downloading Torment now.

    Poorochondriac
  • DubhDubh "< Registered User regular
    I'm trying really hard to finish pillars of eternity first

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART Registered User regular
    oh wait a second, spiritual successor to planescape: torment? yeah that's going on the wishlist

    BroloDisruptedCapitalistBucketman
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I cannot get involved in Torment right now, Zelda happens in like 36 hours. Glad I backed it though!

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Bucketman
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    Crippl3 wrote: »


    Coming soon from Night Dive Studios. http://store.steampowered.com/app/405830

    I wonder if, by some miracle, the multiplayer will work

    my friends and I had a simple name for the Cerebral Bore - the magic

    edit: store page says online multiplayer! I'm intrigued...

    Tamin on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2
    Tamin wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »


    Coming soon from Night Dive Studios. http://store.steampowered.com/app/405830

    I wonder if, by some miracle, the multiplayer will work

    my friends and I had a simple name for the Cerebral Bore - the magic

    edit: store page says online multiplayer! I'm intrigued...

    From the Steam page:
    IPlQptG.png?1

    Crippl3 on
    rSjqbNT.jpg?1
    Tamin
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Good golly am I in love with Torment: Tides of Numenera

    I haven't even completed the first big step of the plot, because the side content is absolutely incredible. In one example, I talked to a stranger at a bar. She told me about her friends, brave adventurers all, and she told me how much she loved them. And for each member of her little group, she told me why she loved them. A little moment in time for each, a little synecdoche for their greater virtue. But this stranger at the bar, she was psychic, and she knew how her beloved friends would die. And she agonized over whether her love was pure, or if it was colored by knowing what they would give up for her. It was this heady, poignant, fantastical tragedy, and it was beautiful, and it was in this random tavern conversation.

    Or how about when I chatted with this "minor" NPC who I found out was a traveler from another world. One where his people reproduce by sacrificing a limb. And this little short story deals with trauma, and family, and loss, and also the accidental creation of interdimensional porn. And the story gets away with all of it. The humor doesn't betray the pathos, nor vice versa. It was an incredible balancing act, and they pulled it off, and it was in this tiny little side character that the game never makes you talk to.

    And the side content keeps interlocking in fascinating, unexpected ways. A character you talked to yesterday ends up having a piece of the puzzle for the character you talk to tomorrow. You'll be wrapped up in one little tale and find this sudden, perfect tie to a story you thought was completed. It's fucking fantastic.

    I feel like I've barely scratched the surface on the game, but it's making me want to get all hyperbolic. I am completely in love with how its written. It has the mystery and wonder of something like Fallen London/Sunless Sea, but with this jigsaw puzzle interconnectivity that is blowing me away as it reveals itself. It's so smart, and so emotional, and so deep.

    If you have any fondness at all for wordy, complex RPGs, you need to give this a shot. I still can't tell you how the combat is, because the game (admirably) continues to let me avoid it, but this is a deeply special experience. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

    Absolutely 100% seconding this shit. It's good. Real good.

    3ds friend code: 2036 9837 9754
    BucketmanKamiroLorahalo
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Clock King Registered User regular
    I said as much in the tabletop thread already, but some friends and I have been playing the steam version of Puzzle Strike a bunch this week, and it's really fucking good

    plus there aren't a whole lot of other deck building games on pc (deck building meaning like dominion, not like mtg)

  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So guys

    Enter the Gungeon

    Is really good

    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
    LuvTheMonkeyMr Fuzzbutt
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm so easily swayed.

    Torment installed. Learned Nano, ahoy!

    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk
    Midnite
  • StraightziStraightzi Taking things many steps at a time Registered User regular
    Ugh, I wish my computer weren't broken so I could hop on this Torment train while it's still hot.

  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    I played about 30 hours of it but never finished Pillars of Eternity. They had DLC and a sequel already right? How did those turn out. I hope the DLC finally had ending for all the fucking companion stories.

  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The sequel ain't out yet but I believe the DLC was good?

    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • StraightziStraightzi Taking things many steps at a time Registered User regular
    The sequel isn't out yet, it just finished its crowdfunding period.

    The DLC was pretty good though. New area to the game, a couple of new companions, raised the level cap a couple of levels (still not high enough, if you ask me). Overall pretty fun, although I don't think I finished all of it myself, as it came too late after I'd played the original game for me and I wasn't really in the mood for a full replay.

    The companion stories all had endings in the main game though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Specifically I remember the farm guy you get in the first town whos a figher
    His brother ran off an joined a cult at one point and the story just sort of ends with him being like "Well my brother is dead" and thats it. Or at least I never found anything else, it felt rather abrupt.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Anyone whose Oculus has been collecting dust needs to break out Robo Recall.

  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Anyone whose Oculus has been collecting dust needs to break out Robo Recall.

    That's a touch only game right? I'm thinking of getting those soon since the price dropped.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Yeah, it's free with Touch. The Touch controllers are also pretty much mandatory generally, it's a completely different system with them. I don't know why they launched it without them.

    Brolo
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The sequel isn't out yet, it just finished its crowdfunding period.

    The DLC was pretty good though. New area to the game, a couple of new companions, raised the level cap a couple of levels (still not high enough, if you ask me). Overall pretty fun, although I don't think I finished all of it myself, as it came too late after I'd played the original game for me and I wasn't really in the mood for a full replay.

    The companion stories all had endings in the main game though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

    PoE II finished it's Fig crowdfunding period, but the overall period is still open through PayPal on their site. Just yesterday we crossed 4.5 million, which means that our ship (!) gets a crew (!!), which, if you could tell from all the punctuation, I'm super excited about. (!)

    Next milestone is 4.75 million which gets us Sea Monsters and Fishing...

  • StraightziStraightzi Taking things many steps at a time Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Specifically I remember the farm guy you get in the first town whos a figher
    His brother ran off an joined a cult at one point and the story just sort of ends with him being like "Well my brother is dead" and thats it. Or at least I never found anything else, it felt rather abrupt.

    Edér's story
    Edér knew his brother was dead at the start of things. The question was who he was loyal to when he died.

    By researching military records you can find out that Edér's brother did indeed join up with Readceras during the Saint's War, which Edér did not want to believe, and believes may have been some sort of mistake. Edér wants to go see the battlefield where his brother died, and when you visit, you can find an artifact from that battle with distinct psychic energies associated to it. Using the help of a Cipher, the artifact can show you that Edér's brother's loyalties were truly with Waidwen, and that he met Waidwen before he died. The exact reasons for why he changed his loyalties, however, are not visible. Edér becomes pretty upset about all of this, because he believes that if his brother met and agreed to join up with Waidwen, that maybe Waidwen was a true incarnation of Eothas, and that he abandoned his god, not the other way around.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Specifically I remember the farm guy you get in the first town whos a figher
    His brother ran off an joined a cult at one point and the story just sort of ends with him being like "Well my brother is dead" and thats it. Or at least I never found anything else, it felt rather abrupt.

    Edér's story
    Edér knew his brother was dead at the start of things. The question was who he was loyal to when he died.

    By researching military records you can find out that Edér's brother did indeed join up with Readceras during the Saint's War, which Edér did not want to believe, and believes may have been some sort of mistake. Edér wants to go see the battlefield where his brother died, and when you visit, you can find an artifact from that battle with distinct psychic energies associated to it. Using the help of a Cipher, the artifact can show you that Edér's brother's loyalties were truly with Waidwen, and that he met Waidwen before he died. The exact reasons for why he changed his loyalties, however, are not visible. Edér becomes pretty upset about all of this, because he believes that if his brother met and agreed to join up with Waidwen, that maybe Waidwen was a true incarnation of Eothas, and that he abandoned his god, not the other way around.

    and we'll get that question answered in Deadfire.

  • StraightziStraightzi Taking things many steps at a time Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Specifically I remember the farm guy you get in the first town whos a figher
    His brother ran off an joined a cult at one point and the story just sort of ends with him being like "Well my brother is dead" and thats it. Or at least I never found anything else, it felt rather abrupt.

    Edér's story
    Edér knew his brother was dead at the start of things. The question was who he was loyal to when he died.

    By researching military records you can find out that Edér's brother did indeed join up with Readceras during the Saint's War, which Edér did not want to believe, and believes may have been some sort of mistake. Edér wants to go see the battlefield where his brother died, and when you visit, you can find an artifact from that battle with distinct psychic energies associated to it. Using the help of a Cipher, the artifact can show you that Edér's brother's loyalties were truly with Waidwen, and that he met Waidwen before he died. The exact reasons for why he changed his loyalties, however, are not visible. Edér becomes pretty upset about all of this, because he believes that if his brother met and agreed to join up with Waidwen, that maybe Waidwen was a true incarnation of Eothas, and that he abandoned his god, not the other way around.

    and we'll get that question answered in Deadfire.

    Maybe!

    I mean, honestly, with regards to Edér
    I'm fine with not getting answers. That's the whole point of Edér. He is troubled by actions that he has taken, and he's adopted a somewhat devil-may-care attitude because of it.

    Edér being told for certain that he did the right thing or that he did the wrong thing would feel like a bad direction to go with the character.

    I would not consider his story in the first game to be in any way incomplete, because it's about him learning whether or not his brother switched sides. It's not about whether or not his brother was right to do so, he just wants to know what happened.

  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    I really gotta play more PoE

    Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

    Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

    Moriveth on
    3ds friend code: 2036 9837 9754
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART Registered User regular
«134567101
This discussion has been closed.