As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hearthstone cookbook being bar food makes thematic sense since the conceit of the hearthstone game is it's a card game you're playing in a tavern in the world of warcraft

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Some friends of ours gave us their hand-me-down air fryer. I gotta say, I probably wouldn't have went out and bought one, but this thing is pretty nice. It cooked up some superb tots in about half the time of our regular oven and they are much crispier. Will have to try some other air-fryer specialty foods. I bet it would make some good bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    well yeah then go for it, you can put anything in dough.

Even dough?!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    well yeah then go for it, you can put anything in dough.

Even dough?!

https://sugarspunrun.com/cookie-dough-stuffed-donut-holes/

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Some friends of ours gave us their hand-me-down air fryer. I gotta say, I probably wouldn't have went out and bought one, but this thing is pretty nice. It cooked up some superb tots in about half the time of our regular oven and they are much crispier. Will have to try some other air-fryer specialty foods. I bet it would make some good bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.

Air fryers are great but are basically just convection toaster ovens, yes? I mean, like, I know that's the case with the one I own, but are there any that genuinely operate differently to a significant degree?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Tox wrote: »

Air fryers are great but are basically just convection toaster ovens, yes? I mean, like, I know that's the case with the one I own, but are there any that genuinely operate differently to a significant degree?

There are some multi-function ones like the Ninja air fryer where you can cook a few different things at the same time, which in a bachelor pad could be pretty nice.

They are pretty much just convection toaster ovens, and if I was going to spend the money, that's what I would have gotten. Free is free though!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

There are some multi-function ones like the Ninja air fryer where you can cook a few different things at the same time, which in a bachelor pad could be pretty nice.

They are pretty much just convection toaster ovens, and if I was going to spend the money, that's what I would have gotten. Free is free though!

Oh yeah no that wasn't intended to be disparaging at all. I absolutely love mine. Just the time you save from not having to preheat an entire oven just to cook something for ~10min is an insane benefit (not to mention energy savings).

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I wish I had more storage room for more kitchen gadgets

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I made bacon cauliflower chowder.

It is rull good.

• Options
    It’s pronounced chow-dah!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    But it's spelled chowder!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    just bought two more novelty cookbooks, this is the most books I've bought in like a six month period in over a decade

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    But it's spelled chowder!

Say it right, frenchy!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I beg your pardon, my people are from an entirely different but very near-by portion of the European peninsula, and I'm sure I've never been so insulted.

(PS-what movie are you doing? This bit isn't ringing any bells.)

• Options
    It’s a simpsons bit

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I beg your pardon, my people are from an entirely different but very near-by portion of the European peninsula, and I'm sure I've never been so insulted.

(PS-what movie are you doing? This bit isn't ringing any bells.)

https://youtu.be/2-bbYH_akHg

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Hey so it's been a while since I was in/on this thread, but I come seeking a bit of advice.

I come seeking a recipe for a fudge frosting and panache/glaze for a devils food cake that is room temp safe as it will be not in the fridge at the destination house.

Also the more rich and fudgy the frosting the better. Thanks guys.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Hey so it's been a while since I was in/on this thread, but I come seeking a bit of advice.

I come seeking a recipe for a fudge frosting and panache/glaze for a devils food cake that is room temp safe as it will be not in the fridge at the destination house.

I've used this with great success - https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11901/best-chocolate-sheet-cake-recipe/

You can ignore the pecans if they aren't your thing.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

I've used this with great success - https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11901/best-chocolate-sheet-cake-recipe/

Thanks for the recipe to try. Though I do have the devil's food cake rounds already baked; I just want a good chocolate fudge frosting that will firm up a bit, is able to be left at room temp, and can put up with being glazed.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options

Thanks for the recipe to try. Though I do have the devil's food cake rounds already baked; I just want a good chocolate fudge frosting that will firm up a bit, is able to be left at room temp, and can put up with being glazed.

Yep yep, I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. Ignore the cake part of that recipe and focus on the frosting that she uses. It'll do what you want it to on the cake you've got baked.

• Options

Yep yep, I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. Ignore the cake part of that recipe and focus on the frosting that she uses. It'll do what you want it to on the cake you've got baked.

So it'll stand up to being glazed and will be safe being kept at room temp? Nice. Thanks.

• Options
    Totally safe at room temp for awhile.

Not entirely sure what you mean about being glazed....but it will give a pretty solid fudgy covering and shine to the cakes.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Completely without meaning to, or even being conscious of it, I bought both real and fake (seitan) duck at the market

so it's been duck two ways for me this week. First (fake) duck dipped in five-spice-flour and quickly fried to a crispy outside, on udon noodles with seafood broth

77m3uz57j18o.jpg

and (real) duck breast lightly seared on a spicy vegetable hash.

w2cytezypa2c.jpg

Both good, but the deep fried flavoured seitan is a life hack I need to remember in the future.

tynic on
  • Options
    Ok! Some more progress on the bush tucker (Kai Tipu? @Fishman @discrider halp!) front.

We found some Hakeke (wood ear) and got some for a feed. We got some fern shoots (mōkehu) and put it all in to a salad. Very tasty!

Being the first time we picked these mushrooms, I got them verified by an expert before we ate them :biggrin:

I failed to take a pic of the ferns or the completed salad (too excited to eat it!)

r3nx4j8ap65i.jpeg

According to my bush tucker book, Hakeke is good in broths, so I think I might try that next time

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    (I'm Aus)

• Options
    Oops! Sorry there was someone else recently talking about taking Te Reo lessons, I have evidently forgotten who!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

So it'll stand up to being glazed and will be safe being kept at room temp? Nice. Thanks.

If you want a penuche frosting recipe still, I have a good one from the new Joy of Cooking that I am obsessed with

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh geez I misread, you said panache (ganache?) not penuche

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Alas, my Te Reo isn't yet advanced enough to translate bush tucker, so I'm just as clueless as you.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've had a mean hankering for Orange Julius

BEHOLD!

Home made pizza dogs and orange julius!

fjnau2j077as.jpg

o1rw5qma3y4a.jpg

By god that was good

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    You are living the dream.

(Specifically, the mall food court dream.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Pizza melts are my absolute jam. Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Provolone with rows of pepperoni between them (that's been cooked ahead of time to crisp it up), with some garlic powder on the bread to give it that kind of garlic powder flavor, and some italian herb blend on the inside, maybe just a smear of pizza sauce on the inside of the bread if you're into that sort of thing.

So good.

• Options
    Ribs on!

f3t8ywd99ora.jpg
    4zfxd43rc6mn.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Xaquin that all looks amazing, as usual! What is your recipe for an Orange Julius? I’m curious to try it

In other news, my wife and I made Cebu-style lechón baboy on Friday. Made up a tasty little sasawan for dipping and some rice; it was almost like being in the islands!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    daaaaamn

It's smelling REAL Good right now, let me tell you what.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    Xaquin that all looks amazing, as usual! What is your recipe for an Orange Julius? I’m curious to try it

In other news, my wife and I made Cebu-style lechón baboy on Friday. Made up a tasty little sasawan for dipping and some rice; it was almost like being in the islands!

https://www.food.com/recipe/orange-julius-8589

add an additional tbsp of sugar and extra vanilla (or even some vanilla ice cream!) and you'll be right on the money!

edit: also, I ended up using several more ice cubes to get the right texture

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

https://www.food.com/recipe/orange-julius-8589

add an additional tbsp of sugar and extra vanilla (or even some vanilla ice cream!) and you'll be right on the money!

edit: also, I ended up using several more ice cubes to get the right texture

Fuck I missed the orange Julius talk. I'm totally going to make some tomorrow.

• Options
    j60x7kqf14lf.jpg

Made crispy rice salad for dinner last night, wrapped in salad leaves with (of course) duck breast
    I should make this more often, I always forget it's a thing

This discussion has been closed.