The Coast Starlight is going to be servicing passengers all the way up to Seattle! Cancel your tickets on the Cascades and book with us!
Welcome to the 2008 West Coast Train Trip thread. The West Coast Train Trip, or "PAXTrain" for short, is a coordinated effort for PAX-goers to ride the same train at the same time going up the western coast of the United States - both as an alternative to driving or flying, and to enjoy an intimate "mini-convention".
PAX isn't PAX because of the exhibitors nor the concerts, not the tournaments nor the contests. PAX is PAX because if the people.
Ask anyone (like me) who's flown, driven and taken the train up - the train was the best experience. We don't care if you're new - this ain't no private party, and all people going to PAX are welcome. We didn't even know anyone else last year and have become fast friends. We invite you to join us! My name is George, and I'm the train commissar - leader of this motley crew in the 2008 Paxtrain. Read this post - learn it, love it, and live it. Please direct non-forum members to read this thread anyways.The last thread can be found here.WHY WE FIGHT
Getting to PAX is a pain in the ass if you don't live in Seattle. Flying? Have fun with those bastards at the TSA. Driving? Have fun pouring your money into the pockets of the filthy capitalists. The train is the way to go. If you have vacation time, save it up and use it - you're turning PAX from a three day convention to possibly up to a six day party of awesomeness. Be warned that admitting you can afford flying or driving in this thread tips your hand that you are a capitalist pig-dog and will declared an enemy of the People and executed for treason.PROPAGANDA: AND NOW A MESSAGE FROM PRAVDA
Our comrade TimeCruiserMike has produced a documentary highlighting some of the benefits of the People's Paxtrain Celebration. The video can be found here.
Many photographers have shown the courage and bravery of the People's Liberation Traingoers in their great struggle to end the decadent oppressions and tyranny of Boredom, Hating Travelling, and the dreaded Why Am I Taking Off My Shoes to Get On This Plane, This is So Stupid, I Swear to God.
ENLISTING IN THE PEOPLE'S LIBERATION TRAINGOERS
No wait. Scratch that. Let me show you our train.
There are muffins there, but it's not about muffins.
There are games there, but it's not about games.
There is beer there, but it's not about beer.
It's about gamers.
. Got it?
Here's what you need to know.Getting on the Train
We are riding Train #14 - Coast Starlight
departing August 27th, 2008.
from California. If you are in Klamath Falls, OR or Chemult, OR, get on the same train, but on August 28th, 2008
. Be CERTAIN you booked the Coast Starlight. It should be a one way trip, and not involve buses or interchanges. I AM REPEATING THIS, to be absolutely clear: Be sure not to pick the option that requires a bus interchange.
This other option is a lie planted by fascists, forcing you to miss the train and take a bus to catch up, missing the better part of day one.
Feel free to take advantage of discounts, like AAA and military discounts. We advise picking tickets up at the station, and arriving an hour early. Also, do note that this is Communist Arcadia, not Nazi Germany. For all of our advantages, the trains do not run on time. Do not expect to make it to the Pre-Pax Dinner after rushing to the hotel; also, do not make any appointments assuming you will be in LA at x time.Here is TNTrooper's guide for our less mentally gifted bretheren. It includes pictures!
The Voyage Home
2 pics to show you everything you would need to do for booking this
First things first if you planned on getting back home on the train make sure you got yourself booked as a round trip and not one way. Then pick the station you are leaving from I am coming from LA so I picked LAX. We want to get to Seattle so we set SEA as our destination. The party train leaves on August 27th if you are only going one way ignore the return date otherwise September 1st is when most of us will be returning. Just leave the Time part at Anytime. If you are booking tickets for your travel companion as well be sure to adjust the number of tickets you need.
This pic is where we pick what train we are going on make sure you got the #14 Coast Starlight
The second travel route is taking a bus from LA to Bakersfield later in the day and taking a different train to catch up to the #14 Coast Starlight either way you if you leave on the 27th and are going to Seattle you will be stuck on the same train as us you just miss out on a day of partying and gaming goodness. The upgrade option is for those of you that one need a handicapped room or if you want to take the Superliner room and have a place to sleep other then the floor or a seat.
If you are taking a train back down scroll downwards and you will find something just like this to book your returning trip the party train on the way back down is the #11 Coast Starlight
If you scroll a bit further down you can find an option to add discounts like AAA, Military, and Old People discounts.
After that hit the view fare button at the bottom right and enter all your personal info, your payment type and if you are picking up your tickets at the station or if you want to pay them $15 to mail the tickets to you and you are done.Portland Brigade Note:
You're taking the Cascades 500, as it requires no transfers.
Edit: One more thing just cause the website says we will be arriving in Seattle at 8:45 doesn't mean we will be so don't plan to arrive right on time check in to your hotel, drop off your bags and take a taxi and be at the Pre-PAX dinner at 9. These fuckers get delayed pretty easily as we found out when we arrived in LA like 2 or 3 hours late.
We're going back on Train #11 - Coast Starlight
departing September 1st
.Paying for the Train
Alas, before our liberation can commence, we must pay the decadent capitalist prices to board the trains. The trains are considerably less expensive the earlier you buy the tickets. It's still a train ticket and it's still gonna cost some dough, but it beats flying and driving for cost. We advise you buy your tickets now. Here is a courtesy list
of coach prices from all major points of transit. This is a courtesy - not a guarantee. Buy tickets now at Amtrak.com
to ensure veracity of prices.
From Los Angeles, California (LAX): $184
From San Jose, California (SJC): $180
From Emeryville/San Francisco, California (EMY): $174
From Sacramento, California: $156
From Redding, California: $130Please note that Oregon travellers book on the 28th of August.
From Klamath Falls, Oregon: $100
From Chemult, Oregon: $88
From Portland, Oregon: $28Portland Brigade:
The following rates are for the Cascades 500:
From Eugene, Oregon: $42
From Albany, Oregon: $38
From Salem, Oregon: $34
From Portland, Oregon: $28
From Vancouver, Washington: $26
From Kelso-Longview, Washington: $23
From Centralia, Washington: $18
From Olympia-Lacey, Washington$14
From Tacoma, Washington: $11Trapped in the Train Closet
Purchasing a private room is expensive. According to people who have bought the rooms, it's worth every penny, but not everyone riding the train goes home and swims in a money bin
and then shines their lucky dime
. I am talking about being Scrooge McDuck
here. Be warned that admitting you have a private room tips your hand that you are a capitalist pig-dog and will declared an enemy of the People and executed for treason.
Our capitalist oppressors!THIS IS MY DS, THIS IS MY JOYSTICK, THIS IS FOR FIGHTING, THIS IS FOR PLAYING MECHWARRIOR 4
Hmm. Not as catchy as "this is my rifle, this is my gun".
You'll need gear to survive on PAXTrain. The People's Liberation Traingoers requires you to retrieve appropriate gear from your homes, and the Commissar has requested all travellers provide the following gear:
- A backpack as a carry-on bag. This pack should contain personal effects and clothing, as well as all other gear on this list.
- A power strip, if possible. Not everyone needs to bring one, but if 1/4th of traingoers bring powerstrips, we should be fine for our electrical needs.
- Earbuds and an eye mask. It is considered PAXTrain courtesy to be quiet in all coach areas, where people may be sleeping - but still, be prepared.
- A toothbrush and toothpaste, mouthwash, a comb, and if you need them, shaving razors and cream. Ignoring basic hygene highlights a disregard for your fellow gamers, which will cause us to declare you an enemy of the People and you will be executed for treason.
- Your meds. Nobody needs to see you off them.
The People's Liberation Traingoers also recommends the following items:
- If possible, a handheld system - a Nintendo DS is the preferred item for wireless gaming. A PSP is welcome but has more of a personal role rather than multiplaying with the cool kids.
- A book for pleasure reading. We advise everyone to take a break from train festivities to "regroup", and read a book or listen to music.
- Headphones, preferrably a pair of earbuds rather than studio headphones, but to each his own.
- Cash. The Commissar organizes PAXTrain group dinners and breakfasts. Expect about one breakfast, two lunches and two dinners with each trip, each meal running about 10 dollars. The food is good and served in a private dining car. Apart from that, bring spare cash for snacks or bring your own in your travel backpack.THE PEOPLE'S PAXGEAR
Many patriotic Arcadian citizens bring heavy weaponry to help out with the glorious cause. With the aid of veteran forumgoer TNTTrooper, some of these needs are already met and addressed. Please understand that if you are joining up any later than San Jose, it may not be "worth it" for the train trip.
We need supplies on the front as soon as we hit middle California, not before - and tardiness on supplies will cause us to declare you an enemy of the People and you will be executed for treason. If you want to assist us, here's what we need.
- Power strips and extension cords. Power management becomes a problem on the train. If you can, grab something from home before you go, or go buy a cheapie power strip for 15-20 bucks. This seems small and unimportant, but it's the foundation of all of our operations!
- Card games. Bring your Magic deck, your Fluxx deck, your Curses deck, your WoWTCG deck, your Pokemon deck, or shit, even a Sailor Moon TCG deck, I don't care. Bring it.
- Fans. We are going to need at least two. An electric fan can reduce the temperature of a room by up to 10 degrees, and we will need fans in headquarters. Small but powerful portable fans are a boon.
- Two television sets. Small, lightweight affairs. Don't bring anything you can't afford to replace if it breaks, but don't bring some ancient monolith because you were planning on giving it to Goodwill anyways. If you're BYOC and have a big monitor that can double as a TV, we'd apprectiate you offering it's use for the good of the Party. One 22" BYOC monitor covered so far, and the kiddie car HQ has a television. Extra TVs and monitors are optional, not a necessity.
- Two ice chests - preferrably filled with ice, of course. One will be brought by PAXTrain command staff in LA.
- Consoles, mainly two Wiis and two XBoxes. Seeing as how we may have at most three televisions, having a million consoles seem redundant, and let's face facts - people are going to be getting the most into Smash Bros. Brawl and Rock Band. One Wii, One XBox360 and one Rock Band Kit covered so far. TNTrooper has the hookup with a classic gaming setup, and is coordinating our console efforts.
- Two to three wireless routers for the Obs Deck network. A hub may be good too.
- A projector we can hook up to a laptop, and preferrably a laptop to use it on - we're planning on a formal movie night.
- Snacks to be brought on behalf of the People. Whatever it is, we don't care, as long as it isn't hilariously messy or unsafe. Please do not bring home-cooked goods - we have no way of knowning what's in your killer brownies, duuuuuude.
- Booze to be brought on behalf of the People. Hard liquor is always nice; beer and soda will both get first priority to be stored in the ice chests.
- Bean bags, if anyone can snag 'em.
- CAT5 ethernet cables for use in the hubs.
This is all the essentials - if you want to burden yourself with bringing more, that's fine, but it's also window dressing. If you're thinking about bringing more shit and saying "I'll hook it up in my hotel later after PAX closes", you're so wrong - you should either be sleeping or heading to a bar or party, not going back to the hotel to play some video games. You just did that all day
. Proving yourself a decadent fool in front of your fellow gamers will cause us to declare you an enemy of the People and you will be executed for treason.
TNTTrooper will be, as last year, providing a spread of classic games for use in Headquarters. There are not enough props in the world, but pass 'em to him anyways.THE RULES
We now have some rules on PAXTrain. They're simple. Don't sweat it. But if you break them, you actually will
be declared an enemy of the People and will
be executed for treason (figuratively, not literally). These rules mainly apply in Headquarters (the Kiddie Car) as that's where most of the magic happens.Don't be a dick
Just don't. Play nice, children. And if you don't like someone, don't start shit stirring and backtalk.Don't be an asshole to the train staff
Train staffers are generally pretty cool and will let us do what we want with little explaination. Be nice to them, and if they tell you to do something, do it.Don't be a loud prick
Other people may be sleeping in other cars. Or whatever. We usually sack the kiddie car as our Headquarters and keep it in there - that muffles the sound pretty well, I've tested it, even when shouting. Still, noise discipline. Be quiet in the coach areas and sleeper cars, be polite in the dining cars and don't try to overrun the observation deck during the day if other people are using it.Don't be a freak to kids
When kids are around, mind your tongue. Pretend Mommy's right behind you. Don't give anyone a reason to complain about PAXTrain.Don't get too hammered
WE HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS SO FAR AND I WANT TO KEEP IT THIS WAY. I'M NOT POINTING FINGERS, THERE'S NOBODY TO POINT THEM AT! Let's just keep it that way.
We're going to be pretty lenient like last year, and we've never had any real problems
, but vigiliance and diligence will be what keeps it that way. These rules are also loose guidelines more than anything so don't flaunt them or play the legalist. If you play the rules lawyer, we'll treat you like a rules lawyer. Anyone in gross violation of the rules or common decency will be declared an enemy of the People, and will be "executed" for treason - you're now persona non grata
and everyone hates your guts, and you're banned from PAXTrain events. Fly next year like the other suckers.
Again, we've never actually had to do that! Everyone's been cool and has watched each other's back, kept everyone else in check and been real champions, doing their patriotic duty to assist their comrades when they are falling out of line. Keep your chins up! I didn't turn into a dick and I'm not planning on prickwaving or pulling rank or any shit like that. We work much better as a loosely organized motley band than as a full regiment. We've done terrific! Just keep diligent - we have a legacy to consider, and we want to keep good relations with Amtrak. The word about last year's trip spread a bit, from what I hear, and we got good marks for staying cool under pressure.HOW TO DRINK YOUR VODKA STRAIGHT
Security officer Highfire
reminds us to keep the alcohol out of the kiddie car. Amtrak will throw a fit.
Once drinking commences, my retinue of apparatchiks will be assessing the situation and reacting appropriately. We got some rookie drinkers last year on PAXTrain. If you're new to drinking, we have some info for you right here to help you get in the swing of things - most vets already have some sort of system on how they handle the booze. Here are the four levels of inebriation as the apparatchiks will ID them:
- Not Drunk - You've had one, maybe two. You're not feeling it. Drink a little more, if you want, or not. Maybe you're just not a beer (or liquor) guy. You don't need to be drunk to enjoy PAXTrain. Most people weren't drunk at all last year. It's overblown how drunk we were. (Or I am cleaning our images up and rewriting history.)
- Buzzed - You've had a few and you're feeling pretty good. Bit of a headrush. Congrats - you're buzzed! Now slow down and enjoy it. Drink a bit after an hour to keep the buzz going. Don't feel like you need to drink a lot to look like a big man.
- Drunk - Congrats, you're drunk. Now sit your ass down. Being drunk is not a good thing. Lay off the booze and get some chips. A pro alcoholic can "maintain", cutting through his drunkenness and working with his lack of motor skills to help him calm down and get it out. Be careful - we'll try to help keep you quiet and unseen, but if the train guys spot you drunk, they can call the cops at the next stop and have you hauled off to the drunk tank. That means no Paxy Pax for you.
- Wasted - What the fuck is wrong with you? If you're clearly wasted we're throwing you out of PAXTrain events and the word will spread you're persona non grata
. Go to the bathroom quietly and puke before the train personnel eject you from the train - and into the arms of the police, who will arrest you for being drunk in public.
Anyone who is Wasted really will be declared an enemy of the People, and will be "executed" for treason - you're now persona non grata
and everyone hates your guts. You wanna drink on the PAXTrain? Fine. Just don't be a little newb about it.
- If you've battled with depression before, you might wind up being an overemotional drunk. So unless you're certain you can maintain, if you feel weird about it then don't get drunk so you don't embarrass yourself.
- Don't feel pressured to drink more to seem hardcore. A pro alcoholic will tell you that a low alcohol tolerance is actually very good thing, and look back to the time when a few beers would buzz them as their salad days.
- Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer? You're in the clear. Be sure that you remember this rhyme, or else you'll wind up doing time - puking up your guts all over the stall, in the bathroom straight down the hall.
- If Tribble ever cuts you off, you're cut off. No questions. That man has out-drank members of the Special Forces, of all branches.THE HOT SPOTS - I'M GOING OFF THE RAILS ON THE CRAZY PAXTRAIN
The majority of all PAXTrain activities happen in two locations: The coach car with the kiddie room (which will be designated as the Headquarters or simply as HQ), and the Obseravtion Deck (which will be designated as the Obs Deck or simply as Obs). Headquarters is a beehive of activity all day and is the "home" of most of our console systems.Headquarters
: Normally, the location where we base Headquarters
at is a sort of children's play room. Because of this, HQ is commonly known as the kiddie car
. Amtrak, realistically, does not have enough child passengers to support this use, but the rooms are kept standardized anyways due to their easy-access luggage racks and the fact that passengers can use it as a quick point of entry/egress. HQ is a private room, allowing us to speak freely with no cause for the concerns of other passengers and is fairly soundproof, allowing us to get a little loud (not too loud). Here you can find our supply caches of booze and snacks, our primary console setups, and the most people at any time, day or night. HQ is on the first story of a coach car, with no other passengers to heed, and has a luggage rack for storing our critical gear, a water dispenser for more drinkable cold water, and having doors to exit in case of a smoke break. When the door opens to HQ, get quiet for a second until it closes; otherwise, speak away.I'm going to try to see if I can arrange something with Amtrak to give us the seats above the kiddie car for PAX congoers only. The carrying capacity of the Superliner car with the kiddie room below is 62 people - perfect for our needs, and reducing noise complaints dramatically. When we tell them "Eh, over 60 people, some of them in the private rooms but most in coach... I got 62 people on the coach roster, just enough to fill the Superliner with the kiddie car..." I'm sure when I explain what we'll be up to, they'll cave fast. Oh, they won't throw us out. 62 guaranteed-satisfied, annually repeating customers? Hell yes, in their eyes.The Obs Deck
: Obs is a public area for all passengers and is never truly PAX'd up until the evening, though due to the high number of PAX members, there's always someone going to PAX in Observation. Obs has a large, spacious observation deck on the top floor with a number of private tables, benches and seats to view the countryside, use a laptop, play cards or do whatever, but due to the furniture it is not a good place to hold a mass congregation unless everyone sits down. The first floor of the obs deck has a commissary for buying snacks, drinks, booze and small meals. The prices are a little high, but not complete robbery - still, it's advisable to bring your own foodstuffs. Also on the first floor are more tables and furniture and more observation areas, but this part of the train is rarely used frequently by most passengers and serves as a staging area for our LAN-based operations. Wireless connections will be set up and administrated from the first floor, and people on the second floor (the main deck) can take advantage of them. At night, the People's Liberation Traingoers assaults and liberates Obs and appropriates it for PAX-y uses, but it is still a public area, so don't be a total boor or drunkard.The Dining Car
: The onboard restaurant of the train is pretty good. Or, at least it was last year. We arrange organized dinners on the dining car through me (see below).QUICK TIME EVENTS - PUSH X NOW TO LIVE
We will be having the following events on PAXTrain:Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament 1: A Game to Kill For
- Want a tournament for fabulous prizes, but didn't get picked for the Omegathon again? Here's the plan: A Smash Bros. Brawl tourney on the end of the first night on the trip up. All random characters. The prize is still being worked out but it will be cool.Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament 2: The Hard Goodbye
- Didn't get in the first SSBB tourney? Boarded in Klamath Falls? Want another shot at the top? There will be another Smash Bros. Brawl tourney for the way down, starting right after we board the train and set up. Same rules. The winner of the first tourney is barred from entry. The winner of Tourney 2 must then fight the winner of the first tourney in a duel, in which both players are allowed to select their own characters, and must play on the Final Destination map.Rock Band Tournament: Can't Talk, Too Busy Rocking
- At precisely two minutes to midnight on the trip up, there will be a Rock Band tournament with a prize for the winner. This is a one-night-only engagement. Players will start as bands, and must be better overall than other bands with an averaged percentage score that beats the other band in elimination. The last band standing then must endure what I dub the "Roger Waters" round, where the band must play together and the best player wins (simulating a band's breakup). There is only one Lord of the Rock Band Tournament, and (s)he does not share power.
I am considering nominal entry fees for the tournaments; the winner and semifinalists would split the pot if we do have entry fees. Post and tell me what you think about the idea.The People's Luncheons
: Dinners and breakfasts coordinated by the Commissar - that's what inadvertedly brought us together. Or so I tell myself. Around dinner time and breakfast time, the command staff will coordinate a group meal for anyone interested in getting in the dining car - we handle getting the reservations for you! It's first come, first serve, but if you don't get a seat, we'll GET
you a meal to enjoy in HQ or the Obs Deck at your leisure. We've done it before. We'll do it again. PAXTrain 4 Lyfe, mothafuckas. Represent.Movie Night
: CURRENT FILM LIST: Red Dawn. All the films haven't been decided yet, but we plan on hosting a movie night during the first night up and the first night down, with at least two films being shown. Ideally we will use a projector, and due to logistics, the best place for this is the Headquarters.APPARATCHIKS OF THE PARTY
Command staff (or apparatchiks, if you please) will be found either at HQ or the Obs Deck, or somewhere in between. Tenative apparatchik listing is as follows (pictures coming soon for ID purposes, staff is subject to change):Augustus
(George) - PAXTrain Commissar
The train commissar oversees all PAXTrain operations. Has no set post. Brings a retinue of three apparatchiks to assist him in his duties.TNTrooper
- PAXTrain Console Officer
Oversees and coordinates everything related to consoles, including in-forums co-ordinaton of consoles, games and supplies. Can be found in HQ.RCars2
- PAXTrain Comms Officer
Oversees our pell-mell networking throughout the train, including initiating attempts to get a somewhat consistent internet connection.TimeCruiserMike
- PAXTrain Propaganda Zampolit
In charge of video propaganda. Has no set post.Highfire
- PAXTrain Security Officer
The security officer ensures the safety of common supplies at Headquarters and keeps looky-loos out. The starshina manages the security rotation and leads other security in any theoretical emergencies (like angry drunks).ON PAX ENFORCERS
: Enforcers are to be treated as kings on board PAXTrain. Any enforcer travelling on the PAXTrain is to be given special status and is to be treated as PAXTrain staff, and have first dibs on dining reservations and event entry. If you feel it unfair, remember that at PAX proper, they will slave for us; let us serve them, for a while at least.CURRENT PARTICIPANT LIST - PLEASE POST WHERE YOU'RE GETTING ON THE TRAIN!
We're at over 100 people. This is gonna be insane.
1st Arcadian Guards Army, Los Angeles, California
Belruel + 1 boyfriend
Canticle + 1 Friend - D&D Game
Darkblade1 + 1 brother
Deathprawn + 1 Friend
Eric_Res + 0-? Friends
Fatal Blade + 4 Friends
Lindygamer + 2-3 Friends
RCars2, Comms Officer
strongesthylian + 3 Friends
TimeCruiserMike, Propaganda (+1 Brother)
TheGreat2000 (friend of Lindy)
TNTrooper, Console Officer
Turtles or Penguins
Victor15b + 2-3 Friends
2nd Arcadian Propaganda Brigade, Van Nuys, California
3rd Arcadian Auxiliary Brigade, San Luis Obispo, California
Sir Landreth + 3 Friends
4th Arcadian Guards Police Brigade, San Jose, California
Highfire, Security + 1 Friend
Raiden333 , Security, + 1 Friend
SlickShuges + 1 Spouse
Neuroslice (Gavin, Salinas stop)
5th Arcadian Guards Rifles Brigade, San Francisco, California
kazuo + 3 friends
6th Arcadian Guards Rifles Brigade, Martinez, California
Contrefait + 3-4 Friends
Georob (Emeryville stop)
7th Arcadian Guards Rifles Brigade, Davis, California
AWolfDescends + 1 Wife
Da Jackal + 6 Friends
Subassy + 1 Friend
8th Arcadian Oregon Guards Brigade, Klamath Falls, Oregon
Sobjw + 1 Friend
9th Arcadian Oregon Guards Brigade, Chemult, Oregon
Anexkhan + 4 Friends
NEWS REEL UPDATE: The Starlight has been made to serve Portland! Rejoice! The Portland Guards will be joining us in the train. Post here to transfer over to the Starlight.
10th Portland Guards Brigade, Portland, Oregon
UNCONFIRMED: Portland Guards not confirmed to have switched over to the Starlight, last information given was a Cascades booking.
Frobear + 3 Friends
Haikufrenzy + 1 "Female Comrade"
A LITTLE Q AND A:
- Q. Who died and made you commissar?
- A. I wish I knew myself. I just tried to help co-ordinate everyone last year and accidentally became leader on the way up. I'm doing my damndest to "be ready from day one". (I am not a Hillary supporter).
- Q. Fuck you, I'm takin' your job.
- A. (sound of a PPSh going off) Any other takers? I didn't think so.
- Q. I think I can help/I knew you last year, why didn't you offer me a job/My name is Krux.
- A. We could always use another volunteer to help things run smoothly. With the exception of myself (always on duty) and TNTrooper (sitting on a load of treasured vintage games like a Norse dwarf on a pile of gold), I'm making sure everyone's duty load is only in short shifts so everyone can enjoy the train. If I knew you last year and didn't offer you a job, remind me why you're good for it and I'll see. If your name is Krux, please please please say you'll accept a position as our networking specialist. All that said, having a job on the train is less fun than enjoying the full gamut without having to report to fucking guard duty. PM me if you're ready to make a commitment. And you guys with the alcohol better keep it coming to the staff when they're off duty!
- Q. I'm new and you people seem to know each other. I'm not sure about joining up, I'd feel like a fifth wheel in a train full of 60 other nerds.
- A. We love you and accept you for who you are - a miserable Quasimodo freak outcast by society. Just like the rest of us! We didn't even know each other before this (except for those few who came in groups). Join us! COME PLAY WITH US, PAXER. COME PLAY WITH US.
- Q. I'm afraid some of my shit will get stolen!
- A. Check in your gear with TNTrooper (in charge of the phat lewt) or the PAXTrain security forces. They'll make sure you do OK. Last year the only thing that didn't get back to it's owner was one cell phone charger. I call that a good track record for reuniting people with their beloved, hard earned and battle tested gear. Also, at least one member of our security forces is a crazy ex-military type who has already killed enough people to fill our train with corpses in every seat (on that note, don't piss off the guard named Tribble, and don't bring up anything related to trouble with him). So we will find your gear if it was stolen.
- Q. I have a suggestion.
- A. Post it!
- Q. What portable should I bring up?
- A. Portable gaming in PAXTrain (and PAX proper) lives and breathes around the Nintendo DS. If for some reason you have both, and HAVE to have your PSP, bring both. Be warned that doing so tips your hand to being a capitalist pig-dog and we will declare you an enemy of the People and execute you for treason.
- Q. WAAH WAAH MY DS IS BORKED MY L KEY DOESN'T WERK
- A. If your L button on your DS is acting up, form a seal around it with your lips and blow like it was an old NES cartrigde. Ahh, yes, the classic voodoo! AND IT STILL works like a charm.
Special thanks to ctishman, who ran the West Coast Train Trip's predecessor (the WC Supertrip), for managing all previous PAXTrain threads. As always, thank you. We retain the "official" name of West Coast Train Trip in your honor, as the successor to the Supertrip.