As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killzone 2: Kill yourself to catch up to the fight!

MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Killzone 2

killzone2review-580px.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Killzone 2 is a science fiction first-person shooter for the PlayStation 3, developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. It is the third installment in the Killzone franchise that began on the PlayStation 2 with Killzone and continued on the PlayStation Portable with Killzone: Liberation. The game was first announced at E3 2005, with a tech demo on display, while the first gameplay footage was shown two years later at E3 2007.

Reviews!
Multiplayer review from Joystiq is live
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/11/jo...2-multiplayer/

Also, Singleplayer Review from Joystiq
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/02/jo...single-player/
20090204.jpg

Awesome Videos!
Screenshots!
Newish!
killzone-project--ss-90.jpg
17650d1211276292-killzone-2-updated-fact-sheet-killzone_2-playstation_3screenshots12810killzone2_screenshot_15.jpg

Older...ish!
killzone220071203082034sd8.jpg
killzone220071203082035uv6.jpg
killzone220071203082039ng2.jpg
killzone220071203082041uz0.jpg

Fun Stuff! (need moar fun stuff)
kILLzONE_iDIOTS_by_BigRalph.jpg

Wanghast and Soldiers of Merch The PA KZ2 Clans!

Wanghast is our (once we get organized) competitive clan, we will try to work our way up the ladder and participate in matches and tournaments in game. While we still welcome anyone who wants to join the group, for many of us our focus is a close knit team. We are not hardasses here, anyone who wants to try to play in matches is more than welcome to join up and help out. If you don't feel up to that task, you can help out with practices or work on your skills with us.
Founder: MeepZero
Officers: CarbonFire, MagicPrime, King Awesome

Soldiers of Merch is our casual group, basically anyone who really isn't interested at all in competitive play and really just prefers to hop on with the other PA guys and have a good time. Also accepting of mostly anyone, these guys are friendly and help to group up those folks that just want to have fun and get away from the mindless internet masses.
Founder: Bamelin
Officers: Kaseius

If you are interested in joining up with one of the clans, either post your PSN name on the thread here or PM one the folks listed in group that you think fits what you are looking for. We will try to have Wang vs Merch clan matches and stuff too!

Servers!
Actually we don't have a permanent server, but we do try to put them up as often as we can. The password for these servers is always and shall always be wang unless otherwise noted in this OP

Once the Killzone.com site gets stable enough to navigate I'll hop on and get the Wanghast logo up on there.

Aprjs.png
sig.jpg
MeepZero on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Killzone 2 PA Players Live in This Spoiler Tag
    PA : PSN
    Waka Laka : Tokyo_Funk
    Unco-ordinated : LiquidSolid
    Grove : ObstinateGrove
    Renzo : Renzomaru
    DebaserZbs : FancyLad
    Hyperion : Jhnny_Cash
    donhonk : donhonk
    JAEF : JAEF
    MagicPrime : magicprime
    MeepZero : MeepZero
    CarbonFire : Carb0nFire
    Marikir : Marikir
    DietarySupplement : pittfurg <--- Needs Invite Status Verified
    projectmayhem : Decasshern
    DescendantX : DescendantX
    UnbreakableVow : UnbreakableVow
    Waka Laka : Tokyo_Funk
    krazykarl1982 : ExLeper82
    Wibod : Wibod
    CyrixD : CyrixD
    John Zoidberg : Stiff_Ninja
    Greeble : Greeble *
    CodeWhite: CodeWhite
    behemoth : ghiju
    Radikal_Dreamer : RDreamer
    Diarmuid : skipdmn76
    Wombat!! : WombatPA
    King Awesome : K1ng_Awesome
    Articus : Art__
    SpikedFreak : SpikedFreak
    Bamelin : Bamelin
    Hardtarget : Hardtarget24
    xta : rexamadex
    walerian : walerian
    LordNibbler : JPBrowncoat
    Woodroez : Woodroez
    pyromaniac221 : Forkninja
    Vray : kurod007 <
    Baratus : Baratus_JT
    Roxtar : Jesp
    Ebfan : BigNasty0465
    xwonderboyx : xwonderboyx
    epyon9283 : epyon9283
    Octavian : TitusPullo13
    SilentZero32 : SilentZero32
    Chance : Chance_Splinter
    geestack: geestack
    Jakorian : Jakorian
    Yoshua : yoshuag
    Asulamur : Asulamur
    wanthony : Grie
    Stormgale : Storm_Gale
    Urian : fathom216
    The_Spaniard : Span_Wolf
    Nocren : Nocren
    Bizlock : Bizlock
    bsjezz : bsjezz
    wierd fisher : wierdfisher
    TheUnsane1 : TheUnsane1 *
    algorhythm : kayfouroh
    Manji113 : Shalashaska2004
    -Loki- : qwertybig
    tendo101 : tendo101
    muninn : Putrid_Grin
    Johannen : Johannen
    kaseius : kaseius
    MikeLordOfPants : MikeLordOfPants
    Handsome Costanza : H_Costanza
    Yathrin : Yathrin
    liquidlogan : liquidlogan
    Wusurak : Wusurak
    Milky28 : Milky28
    Cincitucky : Cincitucky
    pyromaniac221 : Arr0wed
    Honsou : Reikhardt
    SatanIsMyMotor : XombieNinja
    ExarJade : Exar_Jade
    Sploozoo : GrillaFace
    Fourier_series : Fourier_series
    Adytum : Adytum

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cover (L2 or whatever) is your friend

so is shooting convenientely placed red objects near the helghast

xta on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meep, if you could add me to the PSN list, I'd appreciate it. Tag is Xander51. I got your PSN friend invite and note about the clan. I'd love an invite now, since I've actually played online. Thank you in advance good sir.

This game is fantastic. I've loved every second I've played of single and the little I've played of multi. Online performance seems great.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just got it!

I joined the clan, but I'm gonna do the campaign first, at least for a while, to get used to controls.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    Meep, if you could add me to the PSN list, I'd appreciate it. Tag is Xander51. I got your PSN friend invite and note about the clan. I'd love an invite now, since I've actually played online. Thank you in advance good sir.

Done

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a little disconcerting how slow the killzone threads are moving considering how big of a release this game is "supposed" to be.

Are you guys playing online together at all yet?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, just hopped into an online game and I swear my first 5 deaths were from my own teammates....

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    walerianwalerian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    It's a little disconcerting how slow the killzone threads are moving considering how big of a release this game is "supposed" to be.

Are you guys playing online together at all yet?
    Hell, Killzone 2 isn't even on the first page of gamespy today. It does seem a bit weird.

walerian on
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wang.png

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ^ The logo doesn't look enough like the helghast's. I still like mine better. :p
    wanghast2.png

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    brynstar wrote: »

Done

Thank you very much!

I will be playing more single player and probably some multi later tonight. Also, I may invest in a headset over the next week or two as I feel like I should get one. Any recommendations on a good Bluetooth headset to use with the PS3?

brynstar on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    got my clan invite and managed to play one round of MP, game is fucking FUN!

i'm busy for the rest of the evening :( but I plan to play a bunch tomorrow

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woot first page!

WIll be on tonight will look for you guys! I'm in another clan however I plan on playing with my PA buddies whenever possible as well

Bamelin on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just picked it up. Played through the first mission. This aiming needs some serious work. It's just like the first game where I felt that I couldn't get the reticle where I wanted it. I'm trying to get used to it, though.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    I just picked it up. Played through the first mission. This aiming needs some serious work. It's just like the first game where I felt that I couldn't get the reticle where I wanted it. I'm trying to get used to it, though.

i find that sometimes when an enemy is under cover, it's almost like they are invincible. you can target their head but either the assault rifle just isnt accurate or something but they won't take damage until they pop out of cover

the sniper rifle sixaxis mechanic is way awesome though, the sniper rifle is one of my top weapons if you have ammo

xta on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PSN name is syphonblue

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wtf... two heavies... fuck I can't do this

Seriously what the hell...
    I haven't died but two times before this fucking brick wall. I've now died over 15 times and can't even take one down. I'm constantly running around trying to revive my teammates before they actually die. Any tips for this part?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm so torn.

I really want to get this game, but I SFIV is keeping me busy and I bought the arcade stick for it. I would also need to get a headset. Decisions, decisions.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyone know any tips for this part in Visari Square? I'm seriously about to throw the controller through the TV.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, like I said, I'll pick this up down the road, but I'm not letting go of Street Fighter IV anytime soon.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm all over this and would love too play some PA games. I played some bot games with a pal of mine earlier and that was extremely enjoyable then I took it online with the general public and I remembered how much I hate people.

PSN: MegoDrDoom

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone know any tips for this part in Visari Square? I'm seriously about to throw the controller through the TV.

Focus on the left one first, the one on the right shouldn't be able to touch you when you're on the left turret. Don't worry about your allies. When you've taken him out, go and take the one on the right out. Otherwise, it's the simple 'shoot them in the head a few times and then shoot the tank on their backs'.

Once you've gotten used to killing them, it only takes 30 or so seconds to kill one.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Focus on the left one first, the one on the right shouldn't be able to touch you when you're on the left turret. Don't worry about your allies. When you've taken him out, go and take the one on the right out. Otherwise, it's the simple 'shoot them in the head a few times and then shoot the tank on their backs'.

Once you've gotten used to killing them, it only takes 30 or so seconds to kill one.

Finally got it. I think my problem was going for the right one first instead of the left. I finally did get it, but it was close (had to go quickly revive two people while fighting the 2nd heavy.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ack...must...play....more....

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just played a fun game with some of the clanmates but now it's BSG time. Wish the games weren't so looong. And I think if you quit out of them you don't get points for ranking.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Woot first page!
    :|

Well Amazon says this is sitting outside of my door. Hopefully it hasn't been murdered by same ravenous gift bears before I get home in an hour. I'll be on ASAP to shoot you all full of hot bear lead.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just played this for a couple hours. Played the first level of SP and then an hour or so of MP. So far I am absolutely loving it. It is both beautiful and intense. I feel like the movement and aiming have a deliberate feel, but I think feel like this is the way it is intended to be and I really like it.

PSN: BigNasty0465

Ebfan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    what kind of local/offline multiplayer does this thing have? i've been in the single player campaign for the good part of today

i googled it and they are going to patch in online 4 player co-op eventually?

xta on
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    xta wrote: »
    what kind of local/offline multiplayer does this thing have? i've been in the single player campaign for the good part of today

i googled it and they are going to patch in online 4 player co-op eventually?

The coop is super super super unlikely.

http://www.psu.com/Guerrilla-Games--+quot;No-plans-for-co-op-in-Killzone-2+quot;--a0006102-p0.php

Also, I share the other poster's concern about the lack of excitement about this game. I bought into the hype with Resistance 2, and then the game just died. I finished SP, played MP a little bit, but had a hard time finding a group to play with. And now ... nothing. And that thread had like 11-12 pages :)

I almost wonder if there is a legitimate correlation between new game sales and # of posts/pages on the PA forums. Are we as a group a good gauge of the overall popularity of a game? Or perhaps more interestingly, of sales figures?

Aren't there always some PHD-types lurking about trying to do their thesis projects based on questionaires for forumers? I think this would be a good project for one of them :)

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    xboxxer wrote: »

I almost wonder if there is a legitimate correlation between new game sales and # of posts/pages on the PA forums. Are we as a group a good gauge of the overall popularity of a game? Or perhaps more interestingly, of sales figures?

Nah, we're a pretty horrible gauge on how well a game is selling. If you consider the fact that you'd think Valkyria Chronicles sold like hotcakes just by looking around here and seeing the long thread and everyone with their VC sigs to be proof. I mean, that game actually sold like ass.

This thread just isn't going as fast because people are playing it, I think. We've got a helluva lot of people posting their PSNs for the clan.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Argh ... must resist ... buying ... another ... game.

I got sucked into the stupid cheap deals at the Circuit City fire sale, and have a bunch of unopened games sitting in a pile.

... and I though VC did sell well, based on the length of the thread here, and Tycho's glowing review. Huh.

Still bitter about Resistance 2 not really having any legs though ...

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Add Roxtar PSN: Jesp

Roxtar on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love the flamethrower, but I find myself wasting all the ammo and then scrambling to find a gun.

Sure wish you could carry 2 guns.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've had a good time this evening with the game. Rocked a few games with some fellow Wanghast. However, I really wish there were other classes unlocked from the beginning. I've been playing well and I just hit Sergeant 1st class.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I also want to be able to go from game to game and stay on the same team with squad members. I guess allowing you to choose your team would help, but I haven't played on a server with that feature enabled yet.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I watch the intro video for this every time the game starts up. I could listen to Brian Cox yell propaganda at me all day.

brynstar on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is WANGHAST!!!! planing on doing the killzone.com tournemant stuff or clan competitions??

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The stars finally aligned, I picked it up tonight but couldn't start playing it 'till about 90 minutes ago - if you're looking for impressions, this is for you:

So satisfying. In my head the Big 4 FPSs on PS3 are CoD4, Bioshock, Resistance and Half Life 2 - and yeah yeah it looks very pretty - but from a straight gameplay perspective, I just find this one the most satisfying of the bunch. Very much worth sixty bones.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aiming is le terrible...I just can't get 100% used to it.

Even after fiddling with the sensitivity.

Great game though apart from that. Really enjoying it.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    god I loved killing bamelin a few times last game. The best was a surprise grenade, after he died I heard him yell something like "OH NO!!!!"

hehe

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png