Options

Dead Space 2: We're stuck again on a station with necromorphs? Sucks to be them.

1565758596062»

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Started on Survivalist. Died instanty at the start of the game. Kinda set the tone right there.

This game is waaaaay scarier than the first.

I died about five times. Wheeeee

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DS2 is to DS1 as ME2 is to ME1

the first games always have more of a sense of wonder and general unpolished charm

the second games are undeniably slicker, with massively improved combat elements. every single area is carefully designed and created, yet overall you feel you have a little less freedom than before.

i'll tell you what's bugged me so far when comparing DS1 to DS2: wildly inconsistent store availability. combine that with a general lack of backtracking to a central hub for the level, and you're often stuck with some gold semiconductor or schematic for who knows how long.

I was going to make this comparison. I'm almost done with DS2 and overall I'd say DS2 is a better game than DS1, though it feels way more linear (though that probably actually isn't the case). DS1 had a more compelling journey, it was more focused and had more heart to the overall experience. But outside of those things DS2 is an improvement in every way.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    chapter six
    fuck when the exploding baby hugs the woman and then kills her

that is the most disturbing thing i have ever seen.

Yeah that was horrendous, probably the worst thing I've seen in the game yet.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    A bit spoilerish for players who haven't tried DS1
    Lession #1 from the Rezzers is to stomp all corpses into fragments whenever you get a break in the action. This prevents the flying scrotums from undoing all of your hard work.

Lesson #2 is
    STASIS the Infectors while they're pumping their load into a corpse, then cut the proboscis. It's a 2-hit kill on Survivalist and as far as I know is the only 'severable' body part an Infector has.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chapter six

For gore or for creepy? I kinda thought it was tame compared to the stuff we'd already seen.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh and for anyone wondering when you get the advanced suit:
    The end of Chapter 11, it's on a schematic behind a node door.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    A bit spoilerish for players who haven't tried DS1
    Lession #1 from the Rezzers is to stomp all corpses into fragments whenever you get a break in the action. This prevents the flying scrotums from undoing all of your hard work.

Lesson #2 is
    STASIS the Infectors while they're pumping their load into a corpse, then cut the proboscis. It's a 2-hit kill on Survivalist and as far as I know is the only 'severable' body part an Infector has.
    Their wings come off in DS2

adytum on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    99.9% sure it doesn't (what game does, nowadays?) but I'll confirm when I get home tonight if no one else does.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    chapter six

For gore or for creepy? I kinda thought it was tame compared to the stuff we'd already seen.

Creepy and disturbing, I guess.
    It was basically a suicide bomber baby. And the way the blood splatter happened sounded and looked unbelievably realistic.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently EB ran out of Ignition codes so I got screwed again. This is the second time I've been burned by EB running out of a digital commodity.

I don't think I'll be shopping there anymore. I'm pretty sick of them running out of shit that simply shouldn't run out. They said they'd call me when/if they get more but what use is it to me now? I'm 5 chapters in already. I'll probably be finished or well past the point where the unlocks are available.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You'll just have to play the game again once you get the code. :rotate:

adytum on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chapter six

It was really startling. And I kinda assumed it was about to happen but daaaamn.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently EB ran out of Ignition codes so I got screwed again. This is the second time I've been burned by EB running out of a digital commodity.

I don't think I'll be shopping there anymore. I'm pretty sick of them running out of shit that simply shouldn't run out. They said they'd call me when/if they get more but what use is it to me now? I'm 5 chapters in already. I'll probably be finished or well past the point where the unlocks are available.

was ignition a preorder bonus or a bonus of the limited edition variety?

T4CT on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It was both, I think

The DS2 posters at GS used to list Ignition and the rivet gun as pre-order bonuses, then newer ones just had the gun

Green on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good to know I'm not the only one playing the iOS game. It's actually pretty damn sweet, though oh god I am constantly on the verge of having no ammo.

Thankfully Stasis+Plasma Saw is civilization

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Green wrote: »

It was both, I think

The DS2 posters at GS used to list Ignition and the rivet gun as pre-order bonuses, then newer ones just had the gun

then call EA and be like "look i'm supposed to have a fucking game here and I don't"

T4CT on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Green wrote: »

It was both, I think

then call EA and be like "look i'm supposed to have a fucking game here and I don't"

to be fair this is what the PC players had to do with the main release :rotate:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    classes cancelled for snow, zombie dismembering tonight. :whistle:

adytum on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just realized that I have yet to impale a necromorph with his own arm. This is something I should correct.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Kinesis and Melee have been beefed up to the point where you would actually want to use them at times?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So Kinesis and Melee have been beefed up to the point where you would actually want to use them at times?

Kinesis is much better to use, and is a must on survivalist and zealot difficulties. Melee is slightly better than it was before.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what, if anything, unlocks from having a completed save from DS1? (X360)

Magus` on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    So what, if anything, unlocks from having a completed save from DS1? (X360)

refurbished plasma cutter variant. basically, you unlock the original plasma cutter.

i'm actually thinking about restarting my playthrough tonight and going a lot more cutter-centric. my existing loadout has 4 guns that are marginally upgraded and highly unsatisfying.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does it do anything different? A bit stronger? Look better than the new one?

THINGS?!

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    Does it do anything different? A bit stronger? Look better than the new one?

THINGS?!

nope. gameplay-wise, it's identical. it only looks like the old one.

i prefer it, but it's only in appearance that it differs.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The neat thing is that upgrading one plasma cutter upgrades the other one, too.

adytum on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i'm actually thinking about restarting my playthrough tonight and going a lot more cutter-centric. my existing loadout has 4 guns that are marginally upgraded and highly unsatisfying.

Carrying 4 guns is never advisable. The ammo drops will be split between all of them so you'll have too little of everything.

I'm playing as engineer-y as possible with the DS1 cutter, rivet gun and the Hacker suit

Green on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Even with just the plasma cutter on the hardest difficulty I was down to 3 or 4 rounds a few times.

Luckily money is plentiful and I can stock up at the store.

adytum on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All this and no comments on the comic from today?

1168712738_2pmNu-L.jpg

deveric on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ya I only carried my plasma cutter and I still got ammo for other guns more than I would have liked on Survivalist.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should I get this for PC or 360, I bought and played the first one on the 360 but I am thinking PC would suit me better this time around.

There isnt a save game import feature or anything like that from the first one is there?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Should I get this for PC or 360, I bought and played the first one on the 360 but I am thinking PC would suit me better this time around.

There isnt a save game import feature or anything like that from the first one is there?

there is nothing to import. 2 looks for a save file from your device, and gives you free weapon in the game, that's it

deveric on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    deveric wrote: »

there is nothing to import. 2 looks for a save file from your device, and gives you free weapon in the game, that's it

Is the "free" weapon one that isnt available normally in game?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The comic is great. Probably my favorite since the Hellgate: London one.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    deveric wrote: »

Is the "free" weapon one that isnt available normally in game?

it's another plasma cutter, it looks like the old one. i couldn't tell you if it's a different one than in the game though, since I have just been using the classic one.

deveric on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish I could use the classic one. That just looks badass.
    Serious engineering business.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there any reason to prefer the regular plasma gun over the refurb?

EDIT: Oh hey answered already :O

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1