As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have I Ever Told You The Definition of Inanity? [FarCry3]

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Huh, apparently buffalo don't take kindly to you knifing them again and again.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Why do games treat females this way? Why is there a princess in a castle? Citra doesn’t need to be saved, it’s all Jason’s idea! Jason conjures up this whole idea that Citra needs saving and he’s gonna save her, when in reality it was all a ritual she created to find a sperm donor, and she kills him.
    eyyjP.jpg

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Also I may have turned to grenades for efficient hunting.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Hunting the black panther sucks.

It's so hard to kill.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

It's so hard to kill.

NPV7D.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It's so hard to kill.

Ha ha, someone doesn't have a rocket launcher yet!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I finally picked this up. Looks great, the intro sequence was pretty neat, I'm loving the look of the world and the way radio towers work and everything. So, all full of fresh wonderment I find a Jeep for the first time and jump in and start jammin down the road towards my first mission, which I'm kind of dreading because it's slaughtering beautifully done wildlife, when all of a sudden a herd of komodo dragons comes barreling out of the underbrush across the road. I slam on the brakes but it is far too late and there are sickening thuds from under my vehicle.

Six giant lizards lay mangled and broken in the middle of the road. My shock and horror is complete.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    So... the PA Report has a story up about the Far Cry 3 writer and how he feels that the people playing the game are too stupid to really get the storyline in FC3.

A gambit that usually works out great.

This is exactly the problem I have with video game designers.

It's like, no, really. I got all that shit. And I'm still saying it was a shitty story line.

"It was meant to be ironic!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So I finally picked this up. Looks great, the intro sequence was pretty neat, I'm loving the look of the world and the way radio towers work and everything. So, all full of fresh wonderment I find a Jeep for the first time and jump in and start jammin down the road towards my first mission, which I'm kind of dreading because it's slaughtering beautifully done wildlife, when all of a sudden a herd of komodo dragons comes barreling out of the underbrush across the road. I slam on the brakes but it is far too late and there are sickening thuds from under my vehicle.

Six giant lizards lay mangled and broken in the middle of the road. My shock and horror is complete.

Komodo dragons are horrid beasts who would just as soon kill you had you not killed them. You're lucky, really.

Also, tigers, man. THE TIGERS

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    So... the PA Report has a story up about the Far Cry 3 writer and how he feels that the people playing the game are too stupid to really get the storyline in FC3.

It's like, no, really. I got all that shit. And I'm still saying it was a shitty story line.

Too many games developers want to be Michael Bay and Paul Verhoeven at the same time but don't ever consider that the two are in fact making very different movies!

• Options
    gtrmp wrote: »

Too many games developers want to be Michael Bay and Paul Verhoeven at the same time but don't ever consider that the two are in fact making very different movies!

I think that's exactly the problem right there.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Who cares about the story

I am making my own stories

like the one where I was mauled to death because I was trying to see if I could stick c4 to a bear

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Who cares about the story

I am making my own stories

like the one where I was mauled to death because I was trying to see if I could stick c4 to a bear

So how'd that turn out, anyway?

• Options
    You know what kind of game will never get made?

The kind where you escape something like this and spend every night crying in a filthy storm drain.

Eating fruit you find and hoping it doesn't give you explosive diarrhea.

Stealing clothes off a local's clothesline because the shit is infecting your chafed crotch.

Crawling a hundred yards a day past an enemy encampment to stow away on a boat that's going to only god fucking knows where.

Good games will never be made due to our overriding need to be a hero or else feel like a little bitch.

• Options
    Not well

my plan was to stick the bear and then herd him into an outpost with repellent, then let him go to town, and when they killed him and thought they were safe, BEARSPLOSIONS.

I got killed three times trying to sneak up on him, and once when I panicked and dropped a c4 and triggered it immediately.

Fun!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Well, sort of

I think that'd be an interesting story to read or watch

but making a game based on that which is fun to play is a different story

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if your big mysterious clue to your deep complex storypuzzle is a linked series of alice in wonderland quotes

well, you should probably reconsider your priorities

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I don't play Far Cry 3

but this video makes me wish I did

has it been posted? don't care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HhYAGIWdk

• Options
    You should play Far Cry 3

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I don't play Far Cry 3

but this video makes me wish I did

has it been posted? don't care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HhYAGIWdk

I don't know if that shark attack at the beginning was a jump cut or a glitch, but it cracked me the fuck up

• Options
    My unofficial Far Cry 3 soundtrack

Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran

Welcome To The Jungle - Guns 'N' Roses

Warrior - Ke$ha

Bloodlines - Dethklok

Move Bitch - Disturbing Tha Peace

Ultimate Warrior Entrance Theme - Jim Johnston

Ras Trent - The Lonely Island

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

It's so hard to kill.

You have to kill it with a bow.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ras Trent is a hilariously appropriate song for FC3.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A note: All 'kill x with y' missions are also fine with knifing the target. So just shoot until it reaches you, then go stabby.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    almost all of the special bow hunting missions ended with me knifing the animal as it tried to maul me

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    All of my bow missions ended with the rare animal lookin all Seto and shit with arrow shafts sticking out its eyeholes. Bows rule.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

It's so hard to kill.

You have to kill it with a bow.

Ah. 'Splodey arrows?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Nope gotta use regular ones.

The Syringes that show you where animals are and give you more damage against them are really handy for those special hunter missions.

101 on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Rock Paper Shotgun had an interview with the writer that took me from "Eh, this story kinda sucks" to "Wow, I actively hate this story."

He couldn't answer just basic, basic questions. Questions like, "Instead of 'satirizing' what you find to be problematic things in video games, why not just make a game that doesn't do any of those things at all?" Or, "Why exactly do you think a tossed-off sexual assault storyline is less offensive/diminishing of the crime/dumb when the victim's a man?"

Also, his whole tract of "Making the player examine their actions" is horseshit, since you only really have two choices in the game: One, keep playing, and let the game storyline unfold as written, which includes becoming party to torture and whatnot. Two, stop playing, and be out sixty bucks. Kind of a dick thing to do to your audience.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Really they should have stuck with the guy on the box art and nothing else

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Btw vaas's voice actor deserves all the money and awards

• Options
    Vaas is hot.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The thing that sucks about Vaas
    he fucks up killing you 5 times, 5!

They luck out and get this amazing voice actor who provides such a hook for the story (which is then wasted), and they make him comically fuck up over and over again in nonsensical ways

I mean, he even somehow fucked up shooting you point blank!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Imagine how he feels

Also I quite enjoyed murdering that Australian rapist

Hobnail on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just think of Vaas like the Joker

It's more fun to him if you're alive

• Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    I liked this game, and was confused by the article linked on PA a bit ago. Something about people not getting it? I felt like I got it. Oh shit, did I get the wrong one to get?

Played the whole thing on my buddies PS3. Now starting all over on my 360. Which is stupid, we bought them the same day.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I knew this was a good game when I shot a driver in the face and he veered into a nearby patrol, killing them all.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This game was my christmas present to myself. It seems like something that will consume me for a long time. Getting attacked by a tiger trying to get to a new radio tower forced me to take a break. Apparently an AK47 isn't sufficient to kill one when you're backpedaling and firing wild while it ruins your fucking world.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    The thing that sucks about Vaas
    he fucks up killing you 5 times, 5!

They luck out and get this amazing voice actor who provides such a hook for the story (which is then wasted), and they make him comically fuck up over and over again in nonsensical ways

I mean, he even somehow fucked up shooting you point blank!
    That's kind of the point, though. That's one level of what his entire definition of insanity speech is about. HE keeps doing the same thing over and over again expecting shit to change. He's tacitly implying that he's also insane.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Doesn't make him any less shitty an antagonist