As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Floaking [chat]

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I didn’t like the first McGriddle I had but this fourth one of the weekend is hitting the spot

yeah the parasites from the sausage patties need some time to take root in your brain

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Paladins in 5E don't have to be diety based depending on their oath, they are literally powered by how right they believe they are - so it doesn't even matter if they're wrong as long as they believe they aren't

some god somewhere all thirsty enough to hand out divine power to a nonbeliever

all getting made fun of at the god meetings when he talks about all his 'faithful' acolytes

The poor god of atheism is always laughed at.

there's an atheist you get as a party member in Mask of the Betrayer and he maintains it even when you're literally in the city of judgement and talking to the god of the dead

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I guess it’s that any statement about values a person has is simply performance for social advancement. That isn’t a new concept in sociology and even queer theory. But now it basically means discarding any moral statement as performance or something??

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    My brother has been posting about virtue signaling. Like where does this poison come from?
    youtube nazis

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    My brother has been posting about virtue signaling. Like where does this poison come from?

Wha?
    I’m not even sure how to explain the concept.

Does it mean something different than it used to? I thought it meant doing or writing things while primarily meaning to broadcast political or cultural allegiance, rather than writing/acting from a place of genuine feelings.

I’m not sure (ironically) what political affiliation is usually being broadcast by people who complain about virtue signaling.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I didn’t like the first McGriddle I had but this fourth one of the weekend is hitting the spot

That means the eggs have hatched

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Virtue signaling is a real thing and not new, but the mainstream right is starting to dig the idea as it's useful to reject any identity politics at all

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    also i kept thinking about AC2 the entire week especially when we went up in the dome of st peter's basilica (1 million stairs oh my god)

Yeah the only motivation I have to play AC2 is that I've been to Florence, and I know the view from the top of the duomo.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    also i kept thinking about AC2 the entire week especially when we went up in the dome of st peter's basilica (1 million stairs oh my god)

Walking at about a 45 degree angle while wedged inside the inner and outer dome is fuckin' cool.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Paladins in 5E don't have to be diety based depending on their oath, they are literally powered by how right they believe they are - so it doesn't even matter if they're wrong as long as they believe they aren't

all getting made fun of at the god meetings when he talks about all his 'faithful' acolytes

there's an atheist you get as a party member in Mask of the Betrayer and he maintains it even when you're literally in the city of judgement and talking to the god of the dead

Was Mask the best NWN2? Still I would like to finish the original game.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh shit Spelunky 2!

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If other people's concern is false, it excuses your own lack.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Was Mask the best NWN2? Still I would like to finish the original game.

I really liked Hordes of the Underdark

But Mask of the Betrayer is probably the best one overall.

They should remake NWN with better graphics and like, 5e mechanics.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I mean, given how much rpg designers all absorbed Michael Moorcock, the alignment system makes sense for worlds where your professed belief might have really concrete repercussions from a divine plane of existence

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Arch I want the bugs but I don’t know I I have it in me to 50k anymore

• Options
    I really loved NWN2 and Bishop is my bf

but I didn't play Mask of the Betrayer in a timely fashion and it's pretty hard to jump back into that world and create a new high-level character rather than importing my old one (lost to time)

I wonder if it's on GoG; avoiding setup issues would be nice...

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

It's like Sanya in the The Dresden Files

"A literal Archangel came down and handed you a sword of the cross"

Sanya: "I don't know what that was, it could have been an alien or a hallucination"

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Ludious

So apparently the FBI arrested Papadopoulos in July and kept it a secret till now. I assume there are a bunch of people in the White House who are confused at the idea of anyone keeping a secret that long.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Alignment rules are dumb and caring about them is silly. At best if there's an alignment limited class you should reflavor stuff to fit the new alignment (e.g. a Lawful barbarian has cold fury, or a Chaotic Neutral Paladin only cares about some libertarian ideal of self-freedom)

Unearth Arcana had rules for CG, LE and CE Paladins

• Options
    New game from Sucker Punch (Infamous series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUz539AeC5Y

• Options
    Virtue signaling is a real thing and not new, but the mainstream right is starting to dig the idea as it's useful to reject any identity politics at all

Much like the concept of political correctness"

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    I mean, given how much rpg designers all absorbed Michael Moorcock, the alignment system makes sense for worlds where your professed belief might have really concrete repercussions from a divine plane of existence

that's the thing. "alignment is dumb" is probably too reductive. a lot of the zany shit in D&D basically makes sense in the context of how it was originally made as a game about heisting loot from under monsters' noses in a world influenced by Jack Vance and Moorcock but people keep wanting to use it for everything or treat its really super specific conceits as like, absolute ways to play games or look at characters or whatever and under those conditions it breaks down fast

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Virtue Signalling is basically used as a catchall term to imply that anybody who cares about certain policies or issues is only doing so out of a desire to appear morally superior to other people in their crowd, without a genuine belief the issues are real or that solving them would help. Essentially, it is not just an argument that e.g. systemic racism is not a problem, but that the people who say it is don't even believe it and if you do, you're a mark. Or to put it another way, it's trying to paint the entirety of the left as, basically, being equivalent to the kind of memetic, extravagent handwringing you see on probably-fake Tumblr accounts.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

that's the thing. "alignment is dumb" is probably too reductive. a lot of the zany shit in D&D basically makes sense in the context of how it was originally made as a game about heisting loot from under monsters' noses in a world influenced by Jack Vance and Moorcock but people keep wanting to use it for everything or treat its really super specific conceits as like, absolute ways to play games or look at characters or whatever and under those conditions it breaks down fast

*shoplifts a candy bar*

*a diseased tentacle sprouts from face*

*voice is suddenly a chorus of damned souls, speaking to party paladin* "here I stole you a Snickers bar"

"Sir my uh alignment forbids all of this situation right here"

• Options
    ok, sounds like complaining about virtue signaling is itself a signal of rightwing affiliation at this point.

I feel like a few years ago this wasn't true, but now I'm not sure....

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

*shoplifts a candy bar*

*a diseased tentacle sprouts from face*

*voice is suddenly a chorus of damned souls, speaking to party paladin* "here I stole you a Snickers bar"

"Sir my uh alignment forbids all of this situation right here"

this is the future Tharizdun cultists want

• Options
    @21stCentury @Blameless Cleric this looks like it may be up your creative alley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUh7RFdqdU

• Options
    huh I've never heard that specific connotation attached to virtue signaling

like everyone is virtue signaling all the time, and class signalling, and any other kind of group signaling you can think of

seems like such a weird corruption of the concept to claim everyone doing it is being facetious

plus like... it's not like conservative politics is free from its own virtue signaling

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    New game from Sucker Punch (Infamous AND SLY RACCOON series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUz539AeC5Y

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I was following a car today that had the following bumper stickers

"Notice me, senpai!!!"

"Eat a dick"

so tsundere

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    ok, sounds like complaining about virtue signaling is itself a signal of rightwing affiliation at this point.

complaining about virtue signalling is literally conservative virtue signalling

I'm dying

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    If other people's concern is false, it excuses your own lack.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i see qntm is adding more to the antimemetics divison series again. excellent

~~~ you saw nothing ~~~

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    'Today has zero to do with the White House,' says source close to the White House

We are in the Onion.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Aloy in Monster Hunter World on PS4

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My bathroom has had a pretty good leak for a week and now they're sawing the handles off because this building is so hella fucking old.

Fully expecting water to start shooting everywhere any moment now.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    In another dimension, all of their actual news events are satire and they have a fake news website called The Garlic that posts 100% true and factual things that are happening in our dimension.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options

It's a valid concept for analysis that got coopted and redefined as a code word for "everyone who points out my flagrant racism is faking it and besides I'm just saying what we're all thinking everyone else is racist too"

• Options

The way I look at it is basically this:

there are absolutely left-liberal people who are hypocritical about this or that, or who employ fuzzy reasoning, or are just unpleasant ooverwrought moralizing scolds. This isn't made-up. It can absolutely be a problem, particularly in real life day-to-day interactions. I have absolutely known people who fell down a hole of trying to find politically-flavored fault in everyone around them until they've built up their own little paranoid Fortress of Solitude to live in and it's not...okay. It's no bueno.

BUT compared to institutionalized racism or sexism or the fact that people get routinely murdered for certain facts about their biology or sexuality it's not even a blip on the fucking radar and someone who makes a personal crusade out of hunting down leftist hypocrisy or treating dumb tumblr kids like an existential menace gets a serious sideeye from me because they are either cripplingly detached from what actually matters or are actively providing cover to legitimate evil.

• Options
    plus like... it's not like conservative politics is free from its own virtue signaling

No but libtards something something something something

This discussion has been closed.