Options

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    My standard underwear plan has been to go to a TJ Maxx/Marshall's sort of joint and see what they've got. They'll generally have three packs from at least semi-reputable brands for like ten fifteen bucks a pop. It's extra handy if you're like me and want all of your underwear to be the same (read: all black) - just grab a bunch and completely overhaul your downstairs wardrobe.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Well here's my hot take: like 75% of American men don't know how to dress themselves well in the first place, so like, take their opinions on fashion with a grain of salt.

As one of the 75%, I fully agree.

But I googled Chelsea boots and they look almost identical to Chukka boots to me? I see those on younger men types occasionally.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Chukka boots have laces usually.

Chelsea boots do not

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Well here's my hot take: like 75% of American men don't know how to dress themselves well in the first place, so like, take their opinions on fashion with a grain of salt.

As one of the 75%, I fully agree.

But I googled Chelsea boots and they look almost identical to Chukka boots to me? I see those on younger men types occasionally.

laceless is a factor, perhaps

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My wife pointed out that skinny jeans on men were all the rage when we were in Germany. They just look very uncomfortable to me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    My wife pointed out that skinny jeans on men were all the rage when we were in Germany. They just look very uncomfortable to me.

I don't have PVC pipes for legs so I'm not sure how they work technically.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I switch between boxers and some random ones I found on Amazon called dreamcatcher. They're both fine for me. Special bonus goes to dreamcatcher for bad jokes to my spouse though.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    What makes chelsea boots chelsea boots is having a flexible fabric panels on both sides of the ankle, no laces or zippers.
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Personally I don't wear skinny skinny jeans, just somewher between tapered fitted and skinny, but I don't think they're uncomfortable. They are generally at least a bit stretchy and also I don't like excess fabric hangig around the ankles when walking or cycling. They also look much better on me than bootcuts because I'm not very wide.

Biggest downside of fitted jeans is probably that they neither help much to stay warm in winter or cool in summer.

Generally German fashion is just scandinavian fashion 2 years later and worse.

honovere on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    They make skinny jeans for all different sizes, you know

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So, to anyone else with dangly bits tween the legs and opinions on how they are held in place...any underwear opinions for upgrading from basic ass Hanes/fruit of the loom while not going meundies $20/pair money? I'm trying some stretchy brightly colored things from evolve I found at Target but have no clue if they will hold up long term. Wanting to stick with briefs, never saw the point in more fabric around my legs unless I was cold. bright colors is a bonus, want that plumage to pop. I'm just overwhelmed with options and no real clue what is good vs crap.

Target's Evolve stuff is good for the price, but the best underwears on the planet are MeUndies, Stance (although they mostly do trunks and boxer briefs), and Mack Weldon. Your dangly bits are worth it. MeUndies really are great and I didn't fully buy in until after I tried a pair.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    I used to wear Levi 510 Super Skinnies on the regular because I'm a very tall and skrawny dude, so they weren't skin tight on me and accentuated my tallboy nature. I've gained weight in the last couple of years so I've had to abandon them for looser cuts, but they're still pretty slim.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Straightzi wrote: »
    They make skinny jeans for all different sizes, you know

I am very much not skinny, but I basically only wear "skinny" jeans, because when you're a big dude, it's even more important not to have huge baggy jeans you could park car in. Skinny doesn't usually mean skin tight at larger sizes. Usually big guy "skinny" is closer to how "slim fit" is for thin dude sizes.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My current go to are Old Navy slim jeans. They aren't tight but are far less baggy than normal jeans.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I don't wear skinny jeans anymore, because they tend to chafe the back of my knees, but they're actually generally more accommodating of my legs than a lot of slim fit jeans. I have weirdly well developed calf muscles, and a lot of slim fit stuff will just feel like I'll bust out of 'em if I stand on my toes, whereas skinny jeans have a bit of stretch to them and can actually deal with my musculature.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If I'm not wearing JNCO am I even really living?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    it's a quantity v quality thing. jncos are a lot of pant, so they result in VERY high quality of life

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    If I'm not wearing JNCO am I even really living?

This is such a good age filter.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Nick Cave looks like an undertaker, so, normal, but Susie Bick looks straight-up like she's from the Catholic Bene Gesserit

cFFPVg7l.jpg

I want a pair of the shoes Nick Cave is wearing. I also want about 15 suits that fit me as well as his does.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My standard underwear plan has been to go to a TJ Maxx/Marshall's sort of joint and see what they've got. They'll generally have three packs from at least semi-reputable brands for like ten fifteen bucks a pop. It's extra handy if you're like me and want all of your underwear to be the same (read: all black) - just grab a bunch and completely overhaul your downstairs wardrobe.

all-black the necrobriefs?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Hey all, I'm looking for some new shoes that I can wear to the office in a business casual environment (generally a button down shirt and dress slacks or chinos) but can also wear dressed down a bit on weekends and whatnot during the summer. Budget is hopefully <$150 but I can stretch a bit if the brand is super reputable and worth the extra scratch.

My initial thought was to pick up a pair of Weejuns (likely in the "tan" color) since they seem to tick most of the boxes. Anyone have these shoes and can provide feedback? I was also considering a pair of driving mocs, but they seem to trend to either extreme of cheap but hideous or nice looking and ridiculously expensive. Any other thoughts/suggestions out there?

• Options
    I wear Ecco slip ons, but wouldn't wear them casually as I dress down on the weekends quite a bit

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The waist on that dress should be higher (more of an empire thing) in my opinion, but yeah, it's very good.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just had to buy 6 hairbands to get 1 hairband.... why haven't women murdered us all yet?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I just had to buy 6 hairbands to get 1 hairband.... why haven't women murdered us all yet?

tbh that's a good question but that particular item is pretty low on the list.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    We're waiting for just the right moment .

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

In my experience those things are sold in packs because they'll begin breeding on their own and therefore become an unending supply.

I haven't lived with my ex since mid/late 2015 and even with a move across the country since then I'm still finding the damn things.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure those extra hair bands are meant to be scattered around on the floor when taking pictures of yourself wearing new clothes.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure those extra hair bands are meant to be scattered around on the floor when taking pictures of yourself wearing new clothes.

Shoes specifically whilst also being sans pants. The WAM-shot is real, my friends.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Real men only wear work boots or cowboy boots, duh. None of this fancy-pants euro-boot nonsense.

(that was painful to type)

In Australia a person who looks after livestock from horseback is typically called a stockman, sometimes referred to as a jacakaroo or a jillaroo if they're female (cowboys are actually kids and/or shitkickers beneath the stockmen). They almost exclusively wear that style of boot from RM Williams or Blundstone. Wearing American style "cowboy boots" to work would likely destroy your reputation. Everyone would be too busy laughing at you to take you seriously.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    In the US, cowboy boots are a fashion statement

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Huh!

I had to Google what those were.

I got no beef with those shoes, they seem fine? Like normal boots? I prefer rubber rain boots because I'm secretly like eight years old.

I also looked up these Chesea boots.
    They look dope! I like the wide stripe design of it (looks like a section for stretching / flexing?).
    Doesn't seem like most of the boots have a big dumb logo incorporated in the design, that seems common with some shoe designs

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Real men only wear work boots or cowboy boots, duh. None of this fancy-pants euro-boot nonsense.

In Australia a person who looks after livestock from horseback is typically called a stockman, sometimes referred to as a jacakaroo or a jillaroo if they're female (cowboys are actually kids and/or shitkickers beneath the stockmen). They almost exclusively wear that style of boot from RM Williams or Blundstone. Wearing American style "cowboy boots" to work would likely destroy your reputation. Everyone would be too busy laughing at you to take you seriously.

Like a work boot? That seems inconvenient for stirrups?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

No, chelsea boots. Near universally referred to as "Blundies". Also what the Imperial Stormtroopers wore in the Star Wars original trilogy.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Ah gotcha. I mean really the fact that a certain type of "manly men" will wear a cowboy boot (expecially the snakeskin wear-with-a-suit kind or the kind that are dyed leather) and not a chelsea boot is just completely silly. But I've definitely encountered people who make a vast distinction between the two. Culture is weird, and some segments of American culture is the weirdest. Relatedly, my favorite thing is how a certain type of American man will be all about the machoest of macho things, and then you watch them do all the hip dips and pevic swings while line dancing. I just shake my head.

• Options
    I see a ton of dudes in Chelsea boots. They're all much more fashionable than I

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've certainly noticed a lot while looking up how to care for longer hair and all of those articles take great pains to point out the masculine ways to deal with long hair... And it's just a bit much.

Chelsea boots are cool. My current winter boots lasted exactly until the weather broke this year so I'll have to find something for next year. Is off season a good time to get deals on things like boots?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also the very fashionable John Steed wore Chelsea boots in the British tv show The Avengers

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

No, chelsea boots. Near universally referred to as "Blundies". Also what the Imperial Stormtroopers wore in the Star Wars original trilogy.

Not to 'well actually' you too hard.. but don't ride in steel toed Blundies. They're wide and there's too much sole, so they can catch in the stirrups. Proper riding boots have a smooth sole.

Also, they're tall enough that the top loop clears the top of the stirrup. Don't do what I did and wear shorter boots that then catch in the stirrup, then fall off.. you get dragged some ways until your boot comes off.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

....huh

cannot unsee.

uc3ufTB.png