Options

[Steam]: Where games are collected and sometimes even played!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand the different mousing styles. I rest my palm on the mouse, with the base of my palm and thumb in contact with the mousepad, but I don't feel like I'm moving the mouse with my palm. It's my fingers that are doing the driving.

For you fingertip mousers, is that your only contact with the mouse, at your fingertips? When I try to do that it feels like it would lead to fatigue rapidly, since my hand isn't actually resting on anything.

My fingertips are on the mouse. The heel of my hand rests solidly on the mousepad/desk. I move the mouse with my fingertips without ever moving the rest of hand at all. I use a high DPI setting (2400-2800 generally) so small movements are all I need.

Ah, I play a lot of shooters, so high DPI settings are generally not great for those. You want low DPI and move your hand a decent amount to do major movements and then small movements for fine aiming. Allows you to be much more precise. So I end up palming the mouse for wider movements then using fingers with my palm rested on the mousepad for fine aiming.

The g502 has a sniper thumb button. Holding it in reduces the DPI for fine-tuning your aim... until you release the button.

That said, I can headshot people all day long at high DPI, so I don't use it.

Yeah, but then I'd have to learn how to use it. I don't have that kind of energy :|

I have trouble using the three main buttons on a mouse and have recently added a side button for melee. Actually using buttons to customize how the device itself is working just makes me feel too old to play with kids these days. :-)

Also I generally dislike that competitive modes in games have driven changes like that into a more mainstream gamer. The game becomes less fun and more work to keep up :-(

That's just par for course with any hobby that has a competitive or higher end version: Stuff always bleeds into more casual applications. It happens in professional sports, cooking, ballroom dance, CCGs, cars, and other stuff too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand the different mousing styles. I rest my palm on the mouse, with the base of my palm and thumb in contact with the mousepad, but I don't feel like I'm moving the mouse with my palm. It's my fingers that are doing the driving.

For you fingertip mousers, is that your only contact with the mouse, at your fingertips? When I try to do that it feels like it would lead to fatigue rapidly, since my hand isn't actually resting on anything.

My fingertips are on the mouse. The heel of my hand rests solidly on the mousepad/desk. I move the mouse with my fingertips without ever moving the rest of hand at all. I use a high DPI setting (2400-2800 generally) so small movements are all I need.

Ah, I play a lot of shooters, so high DPI settings are generally not great for those. You want low DPI and move your hand a decent amount to do major movements and then small movements for fine aiming. Allows you to be much more precise. So I end up palming the mouse for wider movements then using fingers with my palm rested on the mousepad for fine aiming.

The g502 has a sniper thumb button. Holding it in reduces the DPI for fine-tuning your aim... until you release the button.

That said, I can headshot people all day long at high DPI, so I don't use it.

Yeah, but then I'd have to learn how to use it. I don't have that kind of energy :|

I have trouble using the three main buttons on a mouse and have recently added a side button for melee. Actually using buttons to customize how the device itself is working just makes me feel too old to play with kids these days. :-)

Also I generally dislike that competitive modes in games have driven changes like that into a more mainstream gamer. The game becomes less fun and more work to keep up :-(

That's just par for course with any hobby that has a competitive or higher end version: Stuff always bleeds into more casual applications. It happens in professional sports, cooking, ballroom dance, CCGs, cars, and other stuff too.

Very true. Just makes it that much harder to keep up and balance it with everything else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh, I definitely like the side buttons on my mouse. I don't know if I'd ever really get comfortable with more than the forward/backward, though. Who knows, maybe I would. But yeah, usually use that back mouse button for melee if the game has a dedicated melee button. Or for PUBG, I use the back and forward buttons for zeroing scopes.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I have a G502 and my thumb and pinky are used for grip. Index is left click, Ring is right click and middle for wheel.

The three side buttons are configured for middle mouse button click, Back and Forward. The two extra top button next to the left click are set to play/pause playlist and next song. Dedicating the thumb to middle mouse button instead of clicking the wheel is really nice for opening links in tabs, closing tabs, throwing grenades or melee hits.

Handkor on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The forward button is clearly the button that should be used for melee, as the concept of 'forward' is analogous to the motion of striking or stabbing. The back button is clearly the button for grenades, as the concept of backwards motion is analogous to the winding back of your arm before a hard throw.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's unfortunate that my SwitchPro doesn't work with Salt and Sanctuary

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    The forward button is clearly the button that should be used for melee, as the concept of 'forward' is analogous to the motion of striking or stabbing. The back button is clearly the button for grenades, as the concept of backwards motion is analogous to the winding back of your arm before a hard throw.

For me it's more that my thumb naturally rests closer to the forward button on the mouse and it's a lot safer for it to accidentally hit the melee action than it is to accidentally hit the grenade action.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly I have never had a mouse where actually using the side buttons felt comfortable enough to do in frantic gameplay. Course, I generally use fairly cheap mice in general, so that may part of the issue, but at this point I don't know if I'd be able to learn.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly I have never had a mouse where actually using the side buttons felt comfortable enough to do in frantic gameplay. Course, I generally use fairly cheap mice in general, so that may part of the issue, but at this point I don't know if I'd be able to learn.

I think I started using those when I had a old G9X with very good side buttons, and I was playing a healer in WoW and had a great need for extra buttons. Now I can't go back.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Precision and thumb buttons just don't mix, so don't. I generally bind thumb buttons to stuff like Radar mode, if I use them at all.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Psh. get on my level. I manipulate my mouse solely through psychokinesis.

Operate the mouse by firmly clenching between the buttocks.

Flex to click. Twerk to scroll.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Pushed too far and might have gotten the preacher man ripped in two

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

These two posts are much more entertaining using the former as context for the latter.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

These two posts are much more entertaining using the former as context for the latter.

Are they... are they not related?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Where's Kalnaur with the "y'all are weird for using mice, controllers are so much better!" :lol:

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Where's Kalnaur with the "y'all are weird for using mice, controllers are so much better!" :lol:

That seems like it would be a lot harder to fit between butt cheeks.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Depends on ur butt.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I thought it, I just hadn't posted it.
    The Steam Controller is the best mouse I've ever had.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Depends on ur butt.

And the size of the control stick.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Depends on ur butt.

And the size of the control stick.

It's why I don't play Diablo anymore.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Man the writing for Yakuza 0 is just so good! I want to take a screenshot whenever there is a hilarious line, but then I'm just going to have the entire game in my screenshot folder.
    F57F3904AB480AF12E3A8E07E6A615FDEA2E60C6

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Increasingly started going back to my 360 pad more and more since my over the hill hands are starting to lose it.

Losing precise first person shooting controls is a serious pain though. You can instantly feel your efficiency just collapse through the floor.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    Man the writing for Yakuza 0 is just so good! I want to take a screenshot whenever there is a hilarious line, but then I'm just going to have the entire game in my screenshot folder.

That's called a video.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I cleaned up the backlog by finishing TechnoBabylon the other day.

Damn, I haven't played an adventure game that good in years. It's kind of got me back into the genre to be honest. None of the puzzles used crazy logic or goofy item combinations. The setting is a very, very well thought out cyberpunk one.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

That's called a video.
    F8101FA17787EDAB6AB01D82E693DBDE290B608F

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Overcooked 2 came out today so you people better play some games with Destroyah since he was waiting for online play.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Overcooked 2 came out today so you people better play some games with Destroyah since he was waiting for online play.

And yet, I'm still playing FF14... because today is patch day.

Though @CorriganX did already ask about Overcooked! 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I'd usually just put something like reload on the back button. And then forget about it and use R anyway.

It being wired is a major selling point for me.

I get that, and I get that it's likely a huge majority opinion. But still. Wireless mouse suits my use case better, at least at the moment (and for the foreseeable).

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I need to stop trying to just play a quick burst of Conan Exiles. Every time, I start it up and then the next thing I'm wondering where four hours went.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I cleaned up the backlog by finishing TechnoBabylon the other day.

Damn, I haven't played an adventure game that good in years. It's kind of got me back into the genre to be honest. None of the puzzles used crazy logic or goofy item combinations. The setting is a very, very well thought out cyberpunk one.

Dang, ok I need to remember that name. My mom's been looking for more good adventure games.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I..uh....use a trackball

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    manwiththemachinegun and Spoit have you checked out the wadjet eye games. I've heard particularly good things about Gemini Rue.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I am fairly comfortable recommending Wadjet Eye stuff after playing only four and a bit of their games.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    manwiththemachinegun and Spoit have you checked out the wadjet eye games. I've heard particularly good things about Gemini Rue.

I was eyeballing it real good since it looks like its space cyberpunk which pushes many many buttons in my brain.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I have the Logitech G403 wired mouse and while it's been pretty good, I wish I had gotten the G502 as those extra buttons would be super rad to use
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Bees are our friends.

Wasps are our enemies...

Well, them and Robotic Fitness instructors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOFV1JnMPo

In gaming news I'm close to maxing out the type40 and Virtuous weapons in Nier Automata. Still way off from upgrading the pods to level 3. Still haven't found Pod B though maybe it'll show up after route B.

Both pods can be found on Route A.

I actually managed to get both pod b and the type3 lance last night after a search youtube. :biggrin:

Still need to gather the materials needed to upgrade everything though

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I spent quite a while browsing Conan Exiles mods last night. Always looking for cool new stuff.

Then I found that there's a mod that "adds physics to the female private area"... :o

No, really. This is a thing someone did...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I spent quite a while browsing Conan Exiles mods last night. Always looking for cool new stuff.

Then I found that there's a mod that "adds physics to the female private area"... :o

Uh. So I have some questions.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I'm... not really sure what there is in that area that needs to have modeled physics applied to it...

• Options
    RobAlterRobAlter Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm... not really sure what there is in that area that needs to have modeled physics applied to it...

Ability to create new players into the game without the server admin's permission 8-)

Seriously, i've seen so many games with private area models, it's like a thing, computers want to become as human as possible :confused:

• Options

Uh. So I have some questions.
    Meat drapes.