Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Watching The Shining for the first time in years. Those two or three dozen sheets of typed paper may be the single greatest and most effective prop in all of cinema.

excuse me, I believe you are forgetting Austin powers’ Swedish penis enlarger pump

One book...

Swedish-Made Penis Enlarger Pumps and Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag...Baby

Written by: Austin Powers

I kind of want to watch that again but feel like it might not hold up.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep too.

Haven't watched any of them in 15+ years and don't want to ruin what I remember, but god they were good funny movies.

Should I just stick with the memories / jokes / sayings? I seem to remember Austin Powers had some very ehh transphobic stuff in it played for laughs that probably didn't age well.

Austin powers 1 holds up pretty damn well, it’s only really the sequels with fat bastard and mini me where the joke is punching down (in mini me’s case, uh, literally)

Austin Powers 1 is a satire, if a fairly broad one. Austin Powers 2 just kinda abandons the satire for being a straight up silly comedy. I think it's still quite funny in many parts buts it's less cohesive and just generally in poorer taste, even when it was made. They are I think actually very different in that respect. Both have some truly great bits though.

I think 2 might be funnier but 1 feels like a movie where you can actually care about the characters. 2 kinda throws that idea out the window within like the first 20 seconds.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Last time I watched Austin Powers the thing that actually felt the most dated to me was Austin's earnest paean to monogamy

wandering on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Austin Powers' crowing about monogamy always rang false to me considering how part of his backstory is him being an enormous playboy. All it ever read to me as was "you can't shag anyone else when I'm shagging you, baby!"

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I always liked the bit from the second one where he uses the one assassin to protect himself from a knife, a machine gun, a bazooka, and a fall, and caps it off with a realization of "Why won't you die?!"

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    RE: farscape

The shock I felt watching that last episode as it aired, knowing it was the series finale. Omg. The fact that there were movies later that resolved the plot never really fixed that feeling. I had already accepted the other ending.

That scream of despair from the friends watching events unfold just echoed in my mind until I managed to continue my binge and watch the movie.

It was some truly impressive acting

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's a shame Austin Powers 3 was such a wet fart.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Also shows that Hackman was committed to doing good work on a role he didn't care about. The mark of a true professional.

I read Agatha Christie's autobiography* recently, and she noted that she never actually considered herself a professional writer until she sat down and wrote a book despite having zero interest in doing so. (The Mystery of the Blue Train, which she wrote after agreeing to her husband's divorce request and being rather depressed/having a nervous breakdown.)

*A good read, minus casual use of the n-word and her opinion on life-imprisonment (saw it as cruel - preferred execution; believed transport had been superior, and suggested volunteering for human testing as modern alternative). Oh, and she called Istanbul either Stamboul or Constantinople, German Sheperds as Alsatians, and referred to people who seemed to revel in tearing her down as "the haters".

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

There are a few trilogies where only one entry is worth a damn - Matrix, the Expendables, the Dark Knight trilogy - and Austin Powers belongs to that club.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I don't care how bad the rest of the movie is, I love it because of the opening sequence.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

There are a few trilogies where only one entry is worth a damn - Matrix, the Expendables, the Dark Knight trilogy - and Austin Powers belongs to that club.

All downhill after Batman Begins!

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to seeing John Wick. It was pretty good, I guess, but possibly not as good as I’d been led to expect.

It's my favorite in the trilogy, even though it has its flaws.

It's just a nice straight forward revenge story, with just enough threads of a bigger world to make you want to know more, but not anything you need to know to further the story.

The sequels are deluged in world-building to the point that the rules just start seeming silly, and worse, contradictory.

Here's a set of smoothly edited videos that HugoRedRose did, showing off the first film's effortless style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5xNg-cEjok
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pswt8GjZx4

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I just watched The Shining for the first time, and I've gotta say I was underwhelmed. I think it was a decent movie with way too much ominous music playing way too loudly. Maybe it just suffers because its successes have been copied by countless other movies since? But there's a bit in the climax where
    Wendy is running through the hotel looking for the others. She sees some people in a room, she screams and runs away. She sees blood coming out of the elevator doors, she screams and runs away. She sees the ghost of the previous murderer, he says something, she screams and runs away. It's just boring. There's no threat to her, these things aren't scary or shocking to us, and there's no point.

Then the ending goes "wait was he a ghost all along or something!?!?!!?"

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I always liked the bit from the second one where he uses the one assassin to protect himself from a knife, a machine gun, a bazooka, and a fall, and caps it off with a realization of "Why won't you die?!"

The Jerry Springer opening at the time killed me and my entire theater.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dammit, I finally get around to seeing the first John Wick movie and the second has, in the interim, dropped off Netflix.

• Options
    Dammit, I finally get around to seeing the first John Wick movie and the second has, in the interim, dropped off Netflix.

This seems like a good motivation for the first installment of Bogart Wick.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

It isn't as good as the first, tbh, you aren't missing that much

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Some of the flagrant disregard for the rules in that film makes me actively irritated. It's contrived in the worst way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Here's something I didn't expect to see. A movie about a meme taken by white supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiqZWw5vYs

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I always liked Austin Powers 3 more than 2, but on rewatch it's crazy how stacked that celebrity cameo intro and ending is with sex pervert/weirdos now, Danny DeVeto notwithstanding.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    My favorite (intentional..?) Austin powers joke is during the whole sequence of dick jokes finishing other people’s sentences, woody harrelson is inexplicably adult and famous in 1969

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I always liked Austin Powers 3 more than 2, but on rewatch it's crazy how stacked that celebrity cameo intro and ending is with sex pervert/weirdos now, Danny DeVeto notwithstanding.

My friends and I often said "Shmoke and a pancake? Bong and a crepe? Cigar and waffle?" afterwards.

And "I love goooooooooooooooooooooooooold".

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Is Austin Powers Beyonce's only film role? I don't want to IMDB this because I want to believe it to be true.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I love John Wick 2 just as much, if only for different reasons than I love the first. The ostentatious Grand Guignol/Takashi Miike comic-ass bullshit gives me big smiles every time.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    JW2 and 3 were fun but in both every action scene felt about 25% too long.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    JW2 and 3 were fun but in both every action scene felt about 25% too long.

I spent a lot of the time in JW3 feeling like the hand-to-hand fights no longer involved people trying to kill John.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    John Wick is definitely a series that isn't getting better as it goes along. The first one works as a self contained slice of whatever it is, with some issues.

The more "lore" they pump into it, the worse it gets. The third one has that eye-rolling scene of someone explaining the coins, and it's awful (on top of being so obvious that everyone had figured it out well before that movie came out - like, we've seen it!).

There are fun individual scenes in 2 and 3, but overall they're indulgent and less interesting than the first.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm also not a big fan of the direction the series has taken, but there are more than enough people - also on these boards - who have liked the second and third film more than the first one. Which is fair enough: they're entitled to what they want as much as we are. But I do hope that there'll be other filmmakers that return to what the first John Wick did and find inspiration in that rather than in the lore overload of the second and third film.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The worst part of the Austin Powers movies is that there was never one called Austin Powers: The Man with the Golden Grin.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm also not a big fan of the direction the series has taken, but there are more than enough people - also on these boards - who have liked the second and third film more than the first one. Which is fair enough: they're entitled to what they want as much as we are. But I do hope that there'll be other filmmakers that return to what the first John Wick did and find inspiration in that rather than in the lore overload of the second and third film.

There is, and will be for a while, a tendency to mimic the style when it comes to action, but that will probably be it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just won't really work for most directors. In the same way that people went, 'oh, knock off bullet camera, here we go!' after The Matrix.

The Old Guard, on Netflix, is a recent example. It works (ish), but there's no particular vision behind it.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I kind of enjoy the wacky direction the story in John Wick is going. It's just getting weirder and more elaborate and I'm mostly ok with that.

I think the fight choreography though is getting out of hand. It's a little too much length-for-it's-own-sake and it's dragging the films down a bit. #3 especially had several sequences that were way too long and became repetitive. Which turns them from "cool" into "parody" real fast.

• Options
    I think JW3 is the worst of them, but even that is a solid, entertaining action film. Like it's not a drop off on the level fo Matrix 3, Die Hard 5, T3, Alien 3+, etc. It's still a good film, but I found the head of the Table to be pretty underwhelming. That needed some serious stunt casting. I'd have thrown Sigourney Weaver in there except it will probably come down to a big fight and I think she's like 70. Plus the general impracticality of cutting his finger off since you now have to shoot around that for 1 or 2 more films.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The first movie is the best with the Wick movies, its just the tightest best delivered "vision" of the series. But I find merit in 2 and 3 in that they are spectacle action films, cool sequences and brutal violence. I view the films like martial arts movies. Usually the first entry in a martial arts series is the best, but the sequels are fun for the "ok what the fuck?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Today's comic bears some real fruit. For those who don't read the comics anymore:
    hosmohrx2fb1.png

The naming of remakes/sequels using the same name as originals has always been an issue IMO.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    The 3rd film especially has some fucking crazy twists in the story and I have no idea where the fuck they are going with this, but it should be fun.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's a style of storytelling that I very much associate with a certain kind of comic books and video game RPGs, where lore and worldbuilding are front and centre. I prefer it when the worldbuilding is more between the lines, when it's more show than tell, because it's rarely the Wiki-like specifics of the world that I enjoy but rather the way a world comes together to feel alive and cohesive.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also I like the Wick films if only because they brought back actual stunts and stunt work for action films and aren't just cgi slow mo fests to cover actors who can't physically do things. It hasn't blown up as much as I'd like, but some is better than nothing in the absolute garbage that was american actions movies for a long time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Here's something I didn't expect to see. A movie about a meme taken by white supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiqZWw5vYs

The Pepe meme is one of those things that I think everyone should know about. It's a fantastic modern-day example of symbols, meaning, and the power we give them, especially in the Age of the Internet. It also speaks to how much we have to constantly struggle against the basic human desire to distill meaningful discourse into simple constructs and us-vs.-them tribalism, but also the power of that same simplification and thinking to motivate that very same discourse and change.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I liked all 3 John Wick films >.> 2 and 3 aren't as tight as 1, though. And 3 is probably the sloppiest of them. But they're all fun, enjoyable movies.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Re: The Addams Family

I have long felt that movies should not be allowed to have the same titles and that even remakes need to have something different. Disney abuses the shit out of this, but for a good while Bollywood movies were using similar names to American movies in what I feel was a quasi Aslyum type racket in order to get picked up by some lazy streaming licensor who just sees a name they recognize and think they're getting a good deal.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    First John Wick film is far and away the best of the 3. I still enjoy the other 2 because they're both awesomely physical and don't actually take themselves too seriously despite being cruising through a world filled with assassins. And they set up some gorgeous shots on a consistent basis, plus tend to run with awesome soundtracks.

The second film is thus far the low point for me. It has two different scenes that piss me off royally: John shooting at another assassin blindly through a fountain in the middle of a crowd and nobody reacting or getting shot, and then shortly after that they do my all-time-most-hated-Hollywood-gun-trope where they're walking through the crowded subway shooting at each covertly with "silenced" weapons and nobody notices or hears. After the awesomely grounded nature of the first movie, seeing the second one drop down so far to such stupid tropes was really aggravating.

Also, I keep wanting the second movie to turn into a stealth Blade crossover for the big concert/promotion party for the sister and it never happens. No matter how many times I see it, no vampires show up and there's no Blade cruising through the crowd, allowing the two to give each other a polite professional nod as they pass.

This discussion has been closed.