Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't see the problem with same movie titles here.

On a just completely unrelated note, I watched all of the Halloween movies last year and I have to say, Halloween is a masterpiece! On the other hand, Halloween is a wretched piece of shit. But then Halloween is really great and the only one of the Halloween movies that I love besides Halloween.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I still unabashedly love the 90's Addams Family films. The first is a nearly perfect movie.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hybrid wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with same movie titles here.

On a just completely unrelated note, I watched all of the Halloween movies last year and I have to say, Halloween is a masterpiece! On the other hand, Halloween is a wretched piece of shit. But then Halloween is really great and the only one of the Halloween movies that I love besides Halloween.

But which one is the song, 'This is Halloween' refering to?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also got around to seeing Mission Impossible: Cavill Moustache. Very good, and I appreciate the way that the MI movies go out of their way create practical action set pieces all through the film that would be good enough to be the climax of lesser movies.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I still unabashedly love the 90's Addams Family films. The first is a nearly perfect movie.

My wife and I still routinely use, "All your life" as a retort to each other and bring up "Malibu Barbie" at semi-appropriate intervals.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The first movie is the best with the Wick movies, its just the tightest best delivered "vision" of the series. But I find merit in 2 and 3 in that they are spectacle action films, cool sequences and brutal violence. I view the films like martial arts movies. Usually the first entry in a martial arts series is the best, but the sequels are fun for the "ok what the fuck?"

Its like horror series. The longer the go on the more they feel the need to explain themselves. Eventually the lore gets so convoluted and confused the whole enterprise collapses in on itself

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The first movie is the best with the Wick movies, its just the tightest best delivered "vision" of the series. But I find merit in 2 and 3 in that they are spectacle action films, cool sequences and brutal violence. I view the films like martial arts movies. Usually the first entry in a martial arts series is the best, but the sequels are fun for the "ok what the fuck?"

Its like horror series. The longer the go on the more they feel the need to explain themselves. Eventually the lore gets so convoluted and confused the whole enterprise collapses in on itself

Future releases of Cabin in The Woods should have
    "Baba Yaga/John Wick" visible on the betting board

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    First John Wick film is far and away the best of the 3. I still enjoy the other 2 because they're both awesomely physical and don't actually take themselves too seriously despite being cruising through a world filled with assassins. And they set up some gorgeous shots on a consistent basis, plus tend to run with awesome soundtracks.

The second film is thus far the low point for me. It has two different scenes that piss me off royally: John shooting at another assassin blindly through a fountain in the middle of a crowd and nobody reacting or getting shot, and then shortly after that they do my all-time-most-hated-Hollywood-gun-trope where they're walking through the crowded subway shooting at each covertly with "silenced" weapons and nobody notices or hears. After the awesomely grounded nature of the first movie, seeing the second one drop down so far to such stupid tropes was really aggravating.

Also, I keep wanting the second movie to turn into a stealth Blade crossover for the big concert/promotion party for the sister and it never happens. No matter how many times I see it, no vampires show up and there's no Blade cruising through the crowd, allowing the two to give each other a polite professional nod as they pass.

Based on the third movie I just assume that 99% of people in the world of John Wick are either super-secret assassins or are in some way financed by/beholden to/support staff for/otherwise aware of the global cabal of super secret assassins. As such, nobody reacts to the gun shots in the street because that probably happens every night in that version of Rome and nobody 'notices' the silenced shots in the subway because those two are obviously having a discreet gun duel and reacting would be terribly rude. Like obviously listening when a couple is having a fight at the next table in a restaurant. You know it's happening but the polite thing to do is pretend you don't.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Future releases of Cabin in The Woods should have
    "Baba Yaga/John Wick" visible on the betting board
    Can we get Kevin/Home Alone up on the board too?

All things considered, I'd rather have a pissed off Wick after me, at least he'll do the job clean.
    Kevin though... that kids a psycho who will make you suffer to the limits of human endurance. The tarred floor to the nail on the stairs? Branding with an engraved door knob? Pellet gun to the tender bits? Walk across these fragile glass ornaments and tiny toy cars? To say nothing of the traps that should have been lethal... Paint cans to the face, iron to the head, blow torch...

Yeah, give me Wick. Quick shot or two to the dome and a few extra rounds to make sure I stay down.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah pretty much, when they replace Wick with Kane Hodder we'll know who was the real monster all along.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also got around to seeing Mission Impossible: Cavill Moustache. Very good, and I appreciate the way that the MI movies go out of their way create practical action set pieces all through the film that would be good enough to be the climax of lesser movies.

I've still only seen Mission Impossible 1 and 2. I should probably watch the rest at some point.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    John Wick 2 was an escalation from the first movie and so even though it was getting ridiculous it still felt like a reasonable progression of the story. John Wick 3 doesn't make any progression, it does more world building but basically the character ends in the same place he started.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yes but John Wick 3 had combat dogs so all is right with the world.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

It also has Fanboy Enemy, which is a twist/joke I absolutely love the shit out of especially since Wick himself isn't quite sure how to deal with that beyond a civil level of open contempt.

But those combat dogs. Just... damn. They are fucking into it. I'll probably watch every one of those movies forever just for the sheer incredible physicality of the action scenes as long as they keep doing them for real instead of doing a mix of okay-ish choreography, shaky cam shots, and choppy editing.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Re: The Addams Family

I have long felt that movies should not be allowed to have the same titles and that even remakes need to have something different. Disney abuses the shit out of this, but for a good while Bollywood movies were using similar names to American movies in what I feel was a quasi Aslyum type racket in order to get picked up by some lazy streaming licensor who just sees a name they recognize and think they're getting a good deal.

There is no streaming service or content provider that is getting scammed by a 'good deal'. They always know what they're buying. The customer is the only mark.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Yeah, nobody at RedBox was confused about what they were doing when they'd load up the boxes with "Transmorphers" the week after Transformers opened at the box office.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It also has Fanboy Enemy, which is a twist/joke I absolutely love the shit out of especially since Wick himself isn't quite sure how to deal with that beyond a civil level of open contempt.

But those combat dogs. Just... damn. They are fucking into it. I'll probably watch every one of those movies forever just for the sheer incredible physicality of the action scenes as long as they keep doing them for real instead of doing a mix of okay-ish choreography, shaky cam shots, and choppy editing.

It also had that fight towards the end
    With the two guys who didn't kill him cause of the respect. That was such a cool set of little moments, along with a dope fight.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Those dogs were raised just to "act" in the film:
    https://youtu.be/7jQrOkJC5YA

• Options

Those dogs were raised just to "act" in the film:
    https://youtu.be/7jQrOkJC5YA

Oddly they were trained to attack people by calling out "david justice" in an unrelated story David justice is missing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Except for that dang helicopter chase.

"We are heavily armed bad guys in a helicopter, being chased by another completely unarmed helicopter, what should we do?"

"Fly in a straight line, never deviating, not even to juke and fly slightly sideways, which is a thing all helicopters can do, in order for me to use my machine gun to shoot at the completely unarmed helicopter which is following us and poses no actual threat while it is in the air. No instead I will attempt to aim directly behind my helicopter and fail to repeatedly because we must always be flying straight, never turning, in our helicopter."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm more bummed about Olivia de Havilland than I thought I'd be. As the last of the Golden Age stars, it's the passing of an entire era.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2020
    John Wick 1 has the better and tighter story, but 2 has better action scenes, better characters, and the world building touches are great. The shopping scenes are having so much fun with the concept that it's hard not to giggle, and the final fight in the mirror maze is absolutely gorgeous.

2 is my favorite of the series, even if it's not the "best". 3 would definitely have been improved by knocking every fight scene down by like 30%, but it's still a fun ride, even if it does feel ultimately kind of pointless.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    John Wick 1 has the better and tighter story, but 2 has better action scenes, better characters, and the world building touches are great. The shopping scenes are having so much fun with the concept that it's hard not to giggle, and the final fight in the mirror maze is absolutely gorgeous.

2 is my favorite of the series, even if it's not the "best". 3 would definitely have been improved by knocking every fight scene down by like 30%, but it's still a fun ride, even if it does feel ultimately kind of pointless.

3 is the shaggiest of the John Wicks by far, but it also contains Knife Hallway and Zero, so it's still easily on my 'favorite action movies' list.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

I think 3 will ultimately depend on how good 4 is. If the things they introduced in 3 pay off in 4 really well it'll look better in retro.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    First John Wick film is far and away the best of the 3. I still enjoy the other 2 because they're both awesomely physical and don't actually take themselves too seriously despite being cruising through a world filled with assassins. And they set up some gorgeous shots on a consistent basis, plus tend to run with awesome soundtracks.

The second film is thus far the low point for me. It has two different scenes that piss me off royally: John shooting at another assassin blindly through a fountain in the middle of a crowd and nobody reacting or getting shot, and then shortly after that they do my all-time-most-hated-Hollywood-gun-trope where they're walking through the crowded subway shooting at each covertly with "silenced" weapons and nobody notices or hears. After the awesomely grounded nature of the first movie, seeing the second one drop down so far to such stupid tropes was really aggravating.

Also, I keep wanting the second movie to turn into a stealth Blade crossover for the big concert/promotion party for the sister and it never happens. No matter how many times I see it, no vampires show up and there's no Blade cruising through the crowd, allowing the two to give each other a polite professional nod as they pass.

Based on the third movie I just assume that 99% of people in the world of John Wick are either super-secret assassins or are in some way financed by/beholden to/support staff for/otherwise aware of the global cabal of super secret assassins. As such, nobody reacts to the gun shots in the street because that probably happens every night in that version of Rome and nobody 'notices' the silenced shots in the subway because those two are obviously having a discreet gun duel and reacting would be terribly rude. Like obviously listening when a couple is having a fight at the next table in a restaurant. You know it's happening but the polite thing to do is pretend you don't.

Yeah, the lore in John Wick has gone from, "There's this shadowy underworld of assassins alongside ours," to "Every single fucking person is an assassin pretending not to be an assassin. And everybody knows who John Wick is except for the idiot son in the first movie."

Still love the movies though.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The first John Wick is great - one of my favorite action movies of this century, easily. 2 and 3 both fall into "too much of a good thing." Leaning into the world building to the extent that they did went from fun and mysterious to eye rolling. Some of the action scenes were fun in the moment, but had a terrible tendency to run overlong and overstay their welcome.

When I think of the John Wick franchise, my mind really only goes to moments from the first movie. The John Wick fanboy in 3 was inspired, but the movie as a whole was a big step in the wrong direction for me.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

"We are heavily armed bad guys in a helicopter, being chased by another completely unarmed helicopter, what should we do?"

"Fly in a straight line, never deviating, not even to juke and fly slightly sideways, which is a thing all helicopters can do, in order for me to use my machine gun to shoot at the completely unarmed helicopter which is following us and poses no actual threat while it is in the air. No instead I will attempt to aim directly behind my helicopter and fail to repeatedly because we must always be flying straight, never turning, in our helicopter."
    Bear in mind that they were also trying to get well clear of two 5 megaton nuclear bombs each with a blast radius that can shatter glass at 28km, and they don't have the luxury of a Dark Knight Rises "it was on autopilot the whole time".

Even though the Airbus helicopters are pretty fast and they've got mountainous terrain to shield them, Lark is not enough of a fanatic to go "you know, I think we'll be okay here to slow down and engage in a dogfight".

I think it was also established that Cruise's copter, once he'd dropped the cargo load, was faster than Lark's so he's shooting at Cruise because he has no desire to be rammed in middair (which Cruise might do if there are no other options to physically get the detonator).

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't remember this movie happening. Was it taken down due to the pandemic?
    https://youtu.be/b7WPKBir2Z8

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I haven’t seen John wick 3 but he kills Boban in it so it must be great

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I think 3 will ultimately depend on how good 4 is. If the things they introduced in 3 pay off in 4 really well it'll look better in retro.

Yeah, I don't get the idea that 3 is pointless. 3 feels like it had by far the most story momentum and ends in a really interesting place that suggests large changes in the next film.

shryke on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Bear in mind that they were also trying to get well clear of two 5 megaton nuclear bombs each with a blast radius that can shatter glass at 28km, and they don't have the luxury of a Dark Knight Rises "it was on autopilot the whole time".

Even though the Airbus helicopters are pretty fast and they've got mountainous terrain to shield them, Lark is not enough of a fanatic to go "you know, I think we'll be okay here to slow down and engage in a dogfight".

I think it was also established that Cruise's copter, once he'd dropped the cargo load, was faster than Lark's so he's shooting at Cruise because he has no desire to be rammed in middair (which Cruise might do if there are no other options to physically get the detonator).

Even that part of the chase was bad, though. Cruise has a huge pendulum hanging from the helicopter that he could've swung around until it got tangled in the other helicopter's blades then release the cargo hook and safely landed. What does he do instead? Drops it and misses. The entire chase was based on bad choices and movie contrivances. It's like they came up with the two helicopter chase then realized "Well, that would end too quickly" so they made everyone do dumb things. The outcome of the chase isn't important. It's always going to be the same. The good guy is always going to win. What happens between the start and finish is what's supposed to be interesting.

Look at the first Mission Impossible, it ended with a train/helicopter chase. They couldn't have stood on top of the chunnel train at that speed, even with restraints. The helicopter couldn't travel as fast as the train to start with. The train also wouldn't have been going that fast when entering the tunnel, because if it were the pressure wave would've blown everyone's eardrums on the train as soon as it entered the tunnel. But, none of that matters, because it's an action movie, and the only purpose of a chase in an action movie is to be cool. They came up with a prop-appropriate way to get the helicopter into the tunnel (the tether hanging from the helicopter meant to pick up Voight), a character-appropriate way to get Cruise onto the helicopter (Jean Reno's hubris in trying to kill Cruise putting the skids too close to the train), and successfully Chekhov's Gun'd the binary explosive gum from earlier in the movie.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I don't remember this movie happening. Was it taken down due to the pandemic?
    https://youtu.be/b7WPKBir2Z8

Yeah, it got pushed back to November. So did Top Gun, it's July next year now.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Wick the First was a tight story that was told with impressive care for the action. I don't like the third installment because it feels much more tacticool gun porny. When you strip out the simple story, it becomes much more obvious why everybody else in the theater is there, and it's not fun anymore.

Not saying revenge porn is any healthier than gun porn. Neither is a great example of a well adjusted man. But as a one off movie, a guy avenging a puppy was novel. 2 and 3 are much more John Wick Has Fallen than I'm interested in watching.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »

Yeah, the lore in John Wick has gone from, "There's this shadowy underworld of assassins alongside ours," to "Every single fucking person is an assassin pretending not to be an assassin. And everybody knows who John Wick is except for the idiot son in the first movie."

To be fair, even the first movie suggests that everyone who's been around awhile is shitting-their-pants terrified of John Wick and it's the idiot son who is the one who doesn't know.

Thinking along those lines it strikes me that John Wick is kind of written as that whole "the super competent enemy that the protagonist runs from the whole film" but with a flimsy excuse to allow them to flip the script and make said person the hero so we are less conflicted about watching them be fucking cool.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The 3rd film especially has some fucking crazy twists in the story and I have no idea where the fuck they are going with this, but it should be fun.

What if I tell you its john on the run after betraying a deal he made with a mysterious person in his past, that he then needs to make strange bedfellows with a new person from his past that is going to betray/ed, which puts him on the run?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah in most action movies John would be the bad guy. He's an actual anti hero, not a bad guy with a heart of gold, he's a nasty person with a penchant for ending people's lives ugly. We know he loved his wife, but a lot of really bad people can show love for those they care about, it doesn't make them not terrible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »

To be fair, even the first movie suggests that everyone who's been around awhile is shitting-their-pants terrified of John Wick and it's the idiot son who is the one who doesn't know.

Thinking along those lines it strikes me that John Wick is kind of written as that whole "the super competent enemy that the protagonist runs from the whole film" but with a flimsy excuse to allow them to flip the script and make said person the hero so we are less conflicted about watching them be fucking cool.

Yeah, John Wick is definitely a monster/slasher flick told from the perspective of the monster. Just swap out "Killed his dog, stole his car" with "Looked into that creepy space egg" or "Read the book bound in human flesh" or your slasher flick trope of choice and the story stays pretty much the same up until the end when the monster wins.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was brought up here last week and I won't go anymore into it because it's only tangentially to movies, but William Shatner (or more likely whoever runs his twitter account) is trying to cancel Red Letter Media because of their fans and perceived bullying. It still looks like whoever is saying they are Shatner haven't actually watched their videos and is just going by the one RLM video from last week and some tweets.

TFW your spot-on satire of shill Youtube pop culture reviewers makes your "childhood hero" try and demonetize you.

aE4b4yS.gif

• Options
    You either die the cult hero, or live long enough for William Shatner to come after you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Having checked out Shatner's twitter before, I'd be shocked if that was being run by a paid assistant. It's way too deranged.

Edit: Like it's 100% what I would expect a twitter account to look like if it was being run by an old man who wasn't really aware of what was going on, but had a following large enough to convince him that he was with it and hip. It's like the twitter account of Pierce from Community.

BloodySloth on
This discussion has been closed.