Options

[steam] Winter is Here. Daily Deals are Dead. Long live Daily Deals!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Idx86 wrote: »
    What's special about Dragon's Dogma? It looks pretty but a bit generic as fantasy RPGs go.

There's a couple systems that Dragon's Dogma has that other fantasy RPG's don't. The first is that large enemies are climbable, so you're grabbing onto a troll and hanging on for dear life while it tries to smack you off. The second is the Pawn system. Your Pawn is a npc that you also build in a character creator and adventures with you. Now, this Pawn can also be summoned into other player's games and they can adventure with them as well. When in another's game, your Pawn will "learn" things about areas and enemies of the game which it can then pass on in combat to help you out. A player can also send a note of praise and a gift when they release a particularly useful pawn.

Aside from that, Dragon's Dogma was notable because night got really really dark and that makes night and night combat actually somewhat dangerous.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Whether or not it's worth twenty bones I have idea. Never fucked with Turok back in the day.

Honestly, it's not. It was fun enough for a rental, but even at the time it was a pretty medicore shooter which attracted attention because Turok was the only "mature" launch game on the N64.

Pick it up if you liked Painkiller and it goes on a heavy discount, would be my recommendation.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Dragon's Dogma has a fairly generic setting but it has actual good action gameplay unlike the majority of fantasy RPGs, which, if action based, tend to approach "good enough / not horrible " status at their heights.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Turok pricing is disappointing. It's a fun FPS and apparently the port is really good, but I don't think it's worth $20. I expected $10-15 at most.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    It also has this menu theme. Because what else says fantasy action RPG than Japanese rock sung in English?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5UI912U5A

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I have been exploring FF VIII. I never played this one. I'm getting the hang of the GF, Draw system. For what it is worth, I still feel that for that type of RPG, FF makes me feel most at home.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So I have been exploring FF VIII. I never played this one. I'm getting the hang of the GF, Draw system. For what it is worth, I still feel that for that type of RPG, FF makes me feel most at home.

I thought the Draw/Junction system was neat, but ultimately I didn't like it because I never wanted to use spells once I filled them. I don't think any of the systems have interested me as much as Materia, though FFTA was close.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Looks like MGSV just got a new update with quite a few new features, though mostly centered around FOBs:

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201512.php5

• Options
    edited December 2015
    DyasAlure wrote: »

I thought the Draw/Junction system was neat, but ultimately I didn't like it because I never wanted to use spells once I filled them. I don't think any of the systems have interested me as much as Materia, though FFTA was close.

I'm with you, but as I rarely used magic in most of my play throughs, I think it will work out. Maybe it is because I spent the most time playing it, but I liked materia. Although I did spend a lot of time playing X.

Edit:
    Now if only IX would be released. On that note, I still have my IX discs. Can someone PM me if there is a way to play them?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    s8G6fBd.png

@Antoshka starting off my Xmas season with some pr0n reading material! Thanks! (maybe I'll put this one on the "to be streamed for people's entertainment" list)

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It also has this menu theme. Because what else says fantasy action RPG than Japanese rock sung in English?

Not with Dark Arisen.

Dark Arisen has this, apparently.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLWzpzjQJdw

The orginal is really hard to find in a form that isn't blocked by copyright claim and is still of decent quality. Only video I could find is part of an unofficial music video made from game cutscenes and gameplay. So there's gonna be SPOILERS. Here's the (Beware of SPOILERS)Link. But the video itself isn't germane to my point, just the audio.

I really like the original theme, I do know I spent more time sitting at the title screen having it play over and over than I felt like I put into the game. I really liked the game, but I can't seem to be able to sit down with console games for long before moving back to PC. Also, I think that was around one of my Minecraft phases.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5UI912U5A

Except this was patched out of the game with the re-release, Dark Arisen. Just like the original INDESTRUCTIBLE Street Fighter 4 theme song was patched out.

I expect with a PC release it will be modded right back in.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DD for $30 with all DLC? That's nuts, getting it after Christmas. Or during sale, I'll play by ear.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    What's going on in this thread?

Is it safe?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What's going on in this thread?

Is it safe?

It's totally safe.

100% safe.

Completely.

Honest.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I remember Darkness 2 fondly. The first one was better in terms of story, but two's campaign is lots of fun. I hope they get the go ahead for Darkness 3 sometime soon.

Loved the first one. It had some amazing moments (just sitting and watching the entirety of To Kill A Mockingbird with Jenny, the ending, Mike Patton's spooky-as-shit performance). I've never played the second one, so I'll be going in to it entirely fresh.

DO NOT TRUST THE PINK ONE. She lies.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I got a psu! Dude at work lent me it to rule out psu failure. Fingers crossed. Won't be able to check till later, after work.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dammit. Dragon's Dogma is releasing at a terrible time for me - I'm going to still be neck deep in the new backlog from Christmas and such.

And I already blocked off the 27th for another release.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    34 hours for the week and maybe another eight tomorrow. Now to reach my bro and deal him some cash, then home to xeno killing

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    *runs away screaming*

*combusts*

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Bless you, Enhanced Steam. I've been craving Wurm Unlimited hard today but am trying to wait until the sale starts. But I just saw Funstock Digital has it on sale. Downloading now!

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Ok, so I have been reading old Penny Arcade. . . I found this funny, especially in regards to how we get our addiction all digitally now. . .

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/08/20/i-hate-the-stupid-phantom

215239293_xHJHf-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    Hah, the Phantom. Totally forgot about that.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

So did Infinitum Labs.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Wow. SquareCells is breaking my puny mortal mind. I love it but holy hell I am bad at it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Hey - hey guys and gals? Remember back in the end of 2014 when we did our last awesome charity drive?
    Remember that? Man, those were good times weren't they?

Well after a year of ups and downs and busy schedules and conflicts, here, in the tail end of our 2015 charity drive - My wife @Santika and I are finally getting our incentive out there! This Sunday, December 20th at 4pm EST, the Marital Dispute Stream will finally be happening!

Martial Dispute 2014(15)
    Hers: Injustice (Best 3 out of 5)
    His: Starcraft II (Best 2 out of 3)
    Community: Nidhogg (Best something out of a bigger something)

I can guarantee games.
    I can guarantee competition.
    I can guarantee a distinct lack of skills.

I've messed with Injustice a bit, but neither of us are crazy EVO skilled players. I'll be surprised if we manage a few moves while slowly beating the crap out of each other, possibly in the real world.

I've played Starcraft II, she played Starcraft I back in the day a small amount. Even so, I'll be surprised if we aren't manually clicking buildings and laughing as we try to play and most likely win through some form of horrible cheese play much later in the game than an average player would take.

Other than a brief test for sound (Sorry @CorriganX), neither one of us have played this. It looks super fun and we'll be playing locally, so lag won't be an issue. I have a feeling this is the one where we'll start shoving each other out of our chairs.

Anyway - wrapping this up, this Sunday December 20th, 4pm EST - Marital Dispute 2014(15) at twitch.tv/mudzgut!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    So I'm back from college for a month, and while my liver's getting used to its new size, feel, and look of a shriveled walnut, I decided to give a game I thought I'd been too harsh on before a go - Skyrim.

Like everyone else who bought that game, I put about 50-ish hours into it, but then drifted off. I've got kind of a problem with the Elder Scrolls game, or maybe just with Bethesda at large. The worlds they make are neat looking, but the dialogue is written by someone who's never interacted with another human being, the combat is terrible, and the story is always (always) generic. The reason I love New Vegas so much is because they managed to get some actually competent writers in to give the world an actual sense of life.

So - Skyrim, how is it? It's pretty decent, actually. It took me about 3 false starts to actually get into the game. I'd start up the game, get about halfway through that longass, unskippable, generic fantasy bullshit introduction, and just quit out. In the end, I went to do something else and came back about an hour later, like I was returning to a recently contaminated workplace or something. Anyway, once you get past that, the world itself, actually pretty great. The characters are still two-dimensional, but fuck it man, you can at least spend a decent amount of your time putting arrows into people's faces, and the world definitely is pretty with decent (though kind of samey) dungeons to explore. I'm going to get onto the Dark Brotherhood stuff pretty much immediately, maybe bum around the world for a little bit, then I'll probably put it down again, but you know what, there is actually some value in it.

Tldr: years behind everyone else, gave Skyrim another shot - it's alright. Laugh at the bad dialogue and terrible characters and you'll find a decent amount of fun in it.

As an aside, can anyone recommend me a really good recent FPS? Don't care what style it is, but I've got an urge to shoot dudes in the face like a psychologically-snapped Batman.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    So I'm back from college for a month, and while my liver's getting used to its new size, feel, and look of a shriveled walnut, I decided to give a game I thought I'd been too harsh on before a go - Skyrim.

Like everyone else who bought that game, I put about 50-ish hours into it, but then drifted off. I've got kind of a problem with the Elder Scrolls game, or maybe just with Bethesda at large. The worlds they make are neat looking, but the dialogue is written by someone who's never interacted with another human being, the combat is terrible, and the story is always (always) generic. The reason I love New Vegas so much is because they managed to get some actually competent writers in to give the world an actual sense of life.

So - Skyrim, how is it? It's pretty decent, actually. It took me about 3 false starts to actually get into the game. I'd start up the game, get about halfway through that longass, unskippable, generic fantasy bullshit introduction, and just quit out. In the end, I went to do something else and came back about an hour later, like I was returning to a recently contaminated workplace or something. Anyway, once you get past that, the world itself, actually pretty great. The characters are still two-dimensional, but fuck it man, you can at least spend a decent amount of your time putting arrows into people's faces, and the world definitely is pretty with decent (though kind of samey) dungeons to explore. I'm going to get onto the Dark Brotherhood stuff pretty much immediately, maybe bum around the world for a little bit, then I'll probably put it down again, but you know what, there is actually some value in it.

Tldr: years behind everyone else, gave Skyrim another shot - it's alright. Laugh at the bad dialogue and terrible characters and you'll find a decent amount of fun in it.

As an aside, can anyone recommend me a really good recent FPS? Don't care what style it is, but I've got an urge to shoot dudes in the face like a psychologically-snapped Batman.

The newest Wolfenstein is really good. Many faces to shoot with many different things, and a surprisingly good narrative as well.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Congrats to @tsmvengy for winning DirT Showdown and cooljammer00 for winning Colin McRae Rally!

Still two hours left on this one:

signature.png

Wow, thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    UFC-Que choisir, a French consumer association, has sued Valve over some clauses in their subscriber agreement that they consider illegal or abusive.

Source (in French): http://www.quechoisir.org/telecom-multimedia/informatique/communique-plateforme-de-jeux-video-steam-l-ufc-que-choisir-assigne-la-societe-valve

UFC think the following things are problematic:

Steam's Subscriber Agreement explicitely forbids users to sell their games, despite the transfer of ownership of digital products/licenses being legal
    Valve declines any responsibility in case they get hacked and users' personal info get stolen
    Valve claims ownership on the rights of any user-created content uploaded on Steam
    It is impossible to get the money on your Steam Wallet back if your account is closed/deleted/banned
    Valve applies Luxembourg's consumer law regardless of the user's country

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

So did Infinitum Labs.

Where's "Snap!" when you need it...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

Fallout 4? :rotate:

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:

Wolfenstein: The New Order.
    If that is too old, then Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is also fantastic.

Particularly, the combat is great in that "I just want to shotgun fools in their faces" way.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Clearly, what we need is a John Wick FPS for maximum face-shooty goodness.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    chasm wrote: »
    Clearly, what we need is a John Wick FPS for maximum face-shooty goodness.

Was legit thinking this earlier. Then I realized that's essentially what Max Payne 3 is, minus dog death.

Cheers for the Wolfenstein reccs duders, was thinking of checking one of those games out, they're right up my alley. Spent way too many hours in Wolfenstein 2009, and seems like the new ones amp up the crazy in a really beautiful way.

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I might not have the rig to run it, but I may just set funds aside to pre-purchase Kharak and get homeworld remastered in one swoop.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Huh. Street Fighter V is getting a SteamOS version. Neat.
    Hey everyone. I’m excited to announce that Street Fighter V will be officially supporting Steam OS! We are working closely with Valve on this endeavor, and will have more details to announce in the near future, so stay tuned for updates.

Street Fighter V will also support the Steam controller, and you’ll be able to try that out right away during the upcoming beta test that takes place from December 18~20.

See you all online!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.