As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get in the car, loser [chat], we're going on a Shadowrun!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Student loan debt should be abolished.

One plan through house and senate, stamped done.

Put Sallie Mae and Navient out of business overnight.

Also my 4:30 hiccups I ordered were right on time.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oh camp counselor, no question

Scruffy looking, probably stoned dude with a deep tan and easy athleticism. Probably wears hemp bracelets and takes his shirt off a lot. Friendly in a jocular, broey way, calls me bro or dude

13 year old me is already having a lot of complicated feelings

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Scruffy looking, probably stoned dude with a deep tan and easy athleticism. Probably wears hemp bracelets and takes his shirt off a lot. Friendly in a jocular, broey way, calls me bro or dude

Hey man wanna jump in on this music circle? I'm playing the acoustic and you can pick up these conga drums and later we can make out by the lake behind the boathouse.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Ork Investigator - Wait what? Get out of here. WTF?
    MrMister wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

Difference is that ISPs provide the routers.

On my equipment, where I have my own router, that's one thing.

but if all the equipment is leased from the ISP, that's 100% their deal.

I know, which is my my ideal ISP is one that doesn't do that.

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

Those meal plans are a HUGE scam.

i feel like this is like saying paying what restaurants charge is a huge scam

you did all the procurement and work yourself

that costs something

It's more like airport restaurants being a huge scam

If you weren't on campus/in the airport the price/quality ratio would be radically different.

i guess "HUGE scam" just isn't the way i see it when things are slightly overpriced because they're convenient

I was just saying that the cost of your meal plan / airport sandwich isn't just covering ingredients and labor. The airport charges insane rents for the food vendors because they know that the vendors can recoup them, because people are trapped waiting for their flights. I don't know the exact subcontracting model the schools use with their dining halls, but I presume its similar.
    It's actually worst than that. Larger Universities generally self perform the main cafeterias. Usually they use the work as part of their work study program. So their labor costs are so low, they are paying for labor with overpriced debt. Then they subcontract out high rental price space for chains to sell their stuff. And often use cutesy dining dollars to pay for it, or sometimes the dining dollars are as worthless as disney dollars and you have to use real money at those subcontracted place.
    Its also a way to maximally convert FAFSA dollars into real money for the board of executives. And usually the dining dollars expire or have limitations or can't be used more than once a day or something equally messed up.

When we were Freshmen, my friend did the funbux dining plan and she had a bunch left over at the end of the year so she bought two pallets of Diet Dr Pepper and then we drank them all in two days.

American college is a pretty fucked institution, but, like most fucked institutions, it has its moments

I did the same thing. Except it was pink lemonade or fruitopia.

About 2 weeks before the semester I did some quick math and was like, hmmmmm, what do I do with $120 worth of meal $. So, lots and lots of drinks. Which I used to mix with a ton of vodka. Which made it so I never wanted to drink vodka again.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    we have student cafeterias all over, but they're basically just like the cafeteria of any office job

the actual service they provide is the fixed price for a year coffee deal, and it's nice combining an excessive caffeine habit with that nice feeling of knowing that the price of each cup goes down for each cup you drink

as of current exchange rates - not that it's relevant NOW though because who is physically showing up anywhere - it's 40 bucks a semestre here, 350 kr, which will turn into very small fractions of a krone per cup, quickly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hermetic Mage - I'm Harry Potter with a midlife crisis and a gnarled wand.
    Also the extent to which college = adult summer camp really varies

most of my current students live off campus and have full time jobs

there are no climbing walls or ski trips

it's a different vibe

• Options

Hey man wanna jump in on this music circle? I'm playing the acoustic and you can pick up these conga drums and later we can make out by the lake behind the boathouse.

YES I MEAN NO I MEAN YES

• Options
    the majority of norwegian students have a part time job to pay for their living expenses because student loans haven't been catching up to the cost of living rise for a while now

and of course the majority of those again are the kinds of jobs that don't exist currently and students can't get unemployment so that's been fun the past year

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i ordered a smaller size pizza because i'm a responsible adult who makes good choices and now i'm just hungry but i've already eaten a pizza

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the majority of norwegian students have a part time job to pay for their living expenses because student loans haven't been catching up to the cost of living rise for a while now

and of course the majority of those again are the kinds of jobs that don't exist currently and students can't get unemployment so that's been fun the past year

Imagine the biggest cost being the cost of living, not the cost of the actual college

*stares into the void*

• Options
    i ordered a smaller size pizza because i'm a responsible adult who makes good choices and now i'm just hungry but i've already eaten a pizza

Order another pizza

• Options
    I will order a very large pizza and then it it over the course of several days

*two hours later*

Oh, all gone

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Smaller size pizza

Back in my day this was just SYNTAX ERROR

• Options
    edited March 2021
    anyway I'm looking at AIS maps of the local area and must say again that I appreciate Evergreen's Ever G---- naming scheme

it's mainly supply boats that are named [company] [thing] but there's a lot of them here, in the oil industry part of an oil country, and they're kind of boring. Mainly because they don't work together like, Ever Given, or Ever Glory, etc

Farstad shipping has Far S-word for a lot of theirs, but it's the perfect example of what I'm talking about, names that sound okay but like, aren't great names

Far Sapphire, Far Stream, Far Sword, Far Scimitar, etc

and Siem Diamond out there, and all Siem Offshore's Siem [gem] names. It's just, yeah it sounds okay,

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    For dinner tonight we have ordered

poutine with smoked pulled pork
    fried cauliflower tacos
    mac n cheese

and I'm excited

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

Meanwhile I ordered a big fuck off sandwich for lunch and I'm not nearly close to being hungry, but we had already ordered our takeout meal for tonight and my wife is picking it up at 6:30 and I'm gonna eat it anyway

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Farstad shipping has Far S-word

Far Sword

you said that one already

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My butt is rebelling against the quesalupas I ate for lunch

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Imagine the biggest cost being the cost of living, not the cost of the actual college

*stares into the void*

The cost per semestre for me is 550 kr, which all goes to the student welfare organization

we have private institutions you can pay a lot of money to go for if you really want to, but you shouldn't, and they're kind of silly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Does anyone have the Seaward?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'd be curious how this local BBQ place compared to the big regional BBQ joints in the US

These are legit chefs pursuing that style but I can't imagine it matches it

• Options
    Farstad shipping has Far S-word

Far Sword

you said that one already

no those are two different ships

Far S-word was named one friday after lunch when they ran out of steam

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Decker/Hacker - I'm a fuckin' nerd.
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

I didn’t read every word in your post but I agree - college is a huge scam.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.

i feel like this is like saying paying what restaurants charge is a huge scam

you did all the procurement and work yourself

that costs something

Well the point i think is that it's actually quite a lot of money for all you can eat cafeteria food

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    some ten years ago now I, for some reason, still remember that the cost per soldier per day of the all you can eat food in the mess hall was seven dollars

it was probably talk one million that day given to us yet the only thing I remember is bla bla don't throw out food, it's 64 kroner per pax and being like huh, economies of scale, I wonder what running the army mess hall is like as a business, and drifing off into that while a succession of sergeants told us things the entire fucking day

good rules to make all-you-can-eat work though, that doesn't really work applying to adults*: you can eat as much as you want but you absolutely cannot throw out any food, if it is on your plate, you eat it. Hiding the leftovers under a pyramid of orange peels and napkins doesn't work, we see you.

*being in the king's kindergarten is not being an adult

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.
    I'm so impressed by canteens and cafeterias here. Of course everyone is like oh no not fresh rabbit and stag and bolognese again!!!!

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'd be curious how this local BBQ place compared to the big regional BBQ joints in the US

Don't let the regional posturing cloud your opinion. Many places not in BBQ country can do good BBQ. It can be good!

But also without any competition they may resort to shortcuts....

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'm so impressed by canteens and cafeterias here. Of course everyone is like oh no not fresh rabbit and stag and bolognese again!!!!

Oh

yes!

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    some ten years ago now I, for some reason, still remember that the cost per soldier per day of the all you can eat food in the mess hall was seven dollars

it was probably talk one million that day given to us yet the only thing I remember is bla bla don't throw out food, it's 64 kroner per pax and being like huh, economies of scale, I wonder what running the army mess hall is like as a business, and drifing off into that while a succession of sergeants told us things the entire fucking day

good rules to make all-you-can-eat work though, that doesn't really work applying to adults*: you can eat as much as you want but you absolutely cannot throw out any food, if it is on your plate, you eat it. Hiding the leftovers under a pyramid of orange peels and napkins doesn't work, we see you.

We fed inmates in Lee County Alabama on $1.75 a day when I was corrections officer.

• Options
    edited March 2021

I have a strong memory of when my sister was in high school in france, reporting that her fellow students thought the baked salmon was quite sub par that day and they were most displeased

and I was like, my lunch was a horn with ham and cheese and I put it in the microwave, like I do every day

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
  • Options

We fed inmates in Lee County Alabama on $1.75 a day when I was corrections officer.

there was a reform at one point, realizing that people aren't very happy when you feed them nothing but bread and sweaty cheese all day, which is what I expected the army mess hall to be

and which I got, the very first time, when I spent a day waiting to get poked at by doctors all day before they sent us into the army proper, but when I got up north the actual problem was not stuffing the everloving fuck out of yourself on taco friday when there was also rice porridge and cakes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    My meal plan in college was pretty baller but that's because I pretended to be a guy who dropped out who was rooming with my brother and got free meals for six months until his parents cut his plan.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Lunch or dinner on base in the mess hall are $4.60 a person. They used to let contractors take advantage, but some of the soldiers complained, so they stopped. But to be fair the contractors were going a bit overboard.

• Options
    also while I'm going down memory lane, I'm getting warm fuzzy feelings remembering how we liked to amuse ourselves by arranging the orange peels and napkins carefully so that it looked like we were hiding leftovers underneath, solely to get the inspecting officer to come over and poke at your trash and be annoyed

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I collected some Legacy of Kain games today. Blood Omen 2, Defiance, and Soul Reaver for the PS1.

I have Soul Reaver for the Dreamcast, but this will let me conveniently play it in an emulator.

I also got the PC version from gog, but it seems to be buggy.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Decker/Hacker - I'm a fuckin' nerd.
    Did my mandated HR "first interview" in which we mostly talked about how expensive it is to live in NYC and how her friend moved to Pittsburg and bought a house and told her "you could put four houses on this lot it's crazy" but hey what are ya gonna do I love New York even though I did move to Long Island where at least they have grass, not like it is in Queens where I grew up........

anyhow it went well and then I talked to my supposed new boss about applications and who's struggling on the team I'm inheriting.

Still nothing on paper though, COME ON GIVE ME OFFER LETTER

spool32 on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Some South Carolina natives insisted on us trying out a little local BBQ place that was supposed to be mindblowing: their hours were from sometime in the morning until they ran out of meat, you ordered a meat type and got a plate stacked with that and a dinner roll.

It was mediocre.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Did my mandated HR "first interview" in which we mostly talked about how expensive it is to live in NYC and how her friend moved to Pittsburg and bought a house and told her "you could put four houses on this lot it's crazy" but hey what are ya gonna do I love New York even though I did move to Long Island where at least they have grass, not like it is in Queens where I grew up........"

anyhow it went well and then I talked to my supposed new boss about applications and who's struggling on the team I'm inheriting.

Still nothing on paper though, COME ON GIVE ME OFFER LETTER

Are you going to become and even bigger big city dandy Spool?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.